Going Out

Without Him

    "My papa took us out for a little while when we got home from school once but it wasn't for a good reason. Our father was in the hospital because he wasn't feeling well and Papa was worried. We were just glad that he came home the night because he played a game with us while Papa started dinner."

6 years old

Yoongi was washing dishes from last night's dinner when he stepped on one of Taehyung’s toys. He dried his hands and sighed when he picked up the toy.

    “I told Taehyung to put this away before bed.” He muttered to himself, entering the boy's room.

The phone began to ring as he walked out of the twin’s room, making him sigh again. He walked down the stairs and picked up the phone, sticking it between his shoulder and ear as he started on dishes again.

    “Jung residence, this is Yoongi Jung speaking.” Yoongi looked outside of the window, seeing the school bus stop in front of the house.

    “Mr. Jung, I wanted to inform you that your husband, Hoseok, has collapsed at work and was transferred to the hospital.”

    “What do you mean collapsed? Is he okay?” Yoongi dried his hands off again and held onto the phone.

    “We’re home!” Taehyung yelled after walking into the living room.

Jimin hit his twin and pointed at Yoongi on the phone before Taehyung covered his mouth.

    “It’s probably daddy.” Jimin threw his bag on the floor and kicked off his shoes.

    “Yes, thank you so much for telling me.” Yoongi hung up the phone, “We’re going out.”

    “Yay, we’re going out!” Taehyung bounced around.

    “Go change out of your uniforms.” Yoongi began to wonder if he’ll ever finish dishes.

Taehyung and Jimin raced up the stairs, feeling excited that they were going out instead of doing homework. They jumped down the stairs after their uniforms were tossed off carelessly and replaced with casual clothes.

    “Ready mama!” Jimin beamed, running into the kitchen.

Yoongi was packing a couple of snacks for the boys in a backpack because he’d rather wear a backpack instead of a purse like Hoseok suggested.

    “Jackets and shoes.” Yoongi snapped his fingers and grabbed the keys to the second car they had.

Jimin ran out of the kitchen and grabbed his jacket from the coat rack as Taehyung putting on his shoes first. Once Yoongi made sure their shoes were tied correctly and their jackets were zipped up, they headed to the car.

    “Where are we going?” Jimin asked as he climbed into his booster seat.

    “Are we going for pizza?” Taehyung beamed as Yoongi pulled the seatbelt over him.

    “Not exactly, Tae.” Yoongi said as he buckled Jimin in.

The drive to the hospital was short as Taehyung and Jimin hopped out of the car.

    “Why are we here?” Jimin shivered.

    “I don’t like it here.” Taehyung hid behind Yoongi.

The twins had to go to the hospital to get blood drawn because they thought Taehyung was diabetic because someone had read his sheet wrong at their last check-up. Jimin had to get it drawn to see since they were twins, regardless Yoongi and Hoseok had a tough time keeping them still.

    “We’re going to see daddy.” Yoongi grabbed their hands and walked towards the building.

    “Why is daddy here?” Taehyung gulped.

    “I don't know baby.” Yoongi bit his lip.

The twins followed Yoongi into a room not long after arriving then saw their father sitting up in the hospital bed.

    “Daddy!” The twins ran towards Hoseok only to be pulled back by their mother.

    “Go sit over there.” Yoongi pointed at two chairs near the corner.

The boys pouted but did what they were told.

    “How are you feeling?” Yoongi sat on the edge of the bed, placing his bag on the floor.

    “Hey, why are you sitting on the bed?!” Taehyung exclaimed.

Yoongi shot him a mom glare, making him shut his mouth and ball up while Jimin giggled at him.

    “I’m feeling a lot better. You don’t need to worry about me.” Hoseok smiled.

    “Why did you collapse? Have you not been eating? Are you working too much?”

    “I’m fine, it’s nothing to worry about. I just wasn’t feeling well at the moment and passed out.” Hoseok held Yoongi’s hand, “Now where are my boys?”

Taehyung and Jimin took that as an opportunity to jump on the bed and hug their father.

    “Boys!” Yoongi scolded.

    “It’s fine Yoongi, I’m not hurting or anything.” Hoseok smiled in Jimin’s hair.

Yoongi pursed his lip before joining in on the hug. There was a knock on the door, causing Yoongi to pick off his kids before the doctor walked in and greeted them.

    “You must be Jung Yoongi and the twins.”

    “Yes, I am. Thank you for attending to my husband.” Yoongi bowed.

    “It’s part of the job, now I have something to discuss with you and Hoseok about.”

    “Mama, I have to go!” Taehyung somehow managed to get into the backpack and drink two juice boxes.

    “Tae, how did you get into my bag without me noticing?” Yoongi doesn’t understand how the twins do those things.

    “It was open so I stuck my hand in. Please, I have to go!” Taehyung spun around.

    “I’ll be right back.” Yoongi took Taehyung’s hand and exited the room with Jimin right on their heels.

    “Please don’t tell him. I don’t want to worry him any more than he already is.” Hoseok pleaded.

    “Hoseok, this is a dire situation.”

    “Please, we don’t have the money for the treatment. I don’t want him to search for a job either because he already works so hard at home with the twins.”

    “But if we don’t discuss this, he’ll end up working twice as hard without you.”

    “Just...please.”