Everything Changes

Without Him

    "We got the shock of our lives the second time my father collapsed. Nothing was ever the same."

10 years old

Yoongi stared at Hoseok, who looked paler than him with each day that passed.

    “Mom, can I have a second plate?”

    “Sure.” Yoongi didn’t take his eyes of his husband.

Yoongi took Jimin’s empty plate and filled it with kimchi and short ribs before placing it back in front of him. Hoseok was chewing slowly and looked over at Yoongi, who quickly went to eat his cold food.

    “How was your day, sugar?” Hoseok smiled softly.

    “Eventful as usual. Jimin flooded the toilet and Taehyung almost broke the tv by throwing a math book at it."

    “There was a bee on the tv!” Taehyung screamed.

    “It was a documentary about bees!” Yoongi exploded.

Hoseok chuckled because Taehyung was literally a mini version of him.

    “As I said, eventful.” Yoongi shoved a short rib in his mouth.

    “It surely beats my boring days at the office.” Hoseok smiled.

Yoongi noticed Hoseok’s plate was empty and went to grab it to refill it but Hoseok put his hand out.

    “I got it, you already do so much for me.”

Hoseok got up from his seat and stood in front of the stove, filling up his plate.

    “Oh, I beat a boy from school in a dance off.” Jimin chimed.

There was a sudden crash of a plate and Yoongi turned in time to see Hoseok fall. Yoongi reached out and made sure Hoseok didn’t land on any plate shards.

    “Babe, are you okay?” Yoongi looked at Hoseok’s pale face, “Hobi?!” But Hoseok didn’t react.

Taehyung and Jimin stood up from their chairs in fear.

    “Jimin, call an ambulance!” Yoongi was starting to panic, “Wake up Hoseok!”

    “Oh my gosh, dad! Is he okay?” Taehyung was right next to Yoongi, trying to figure out what was happening.

    “Hello? I need help, my father passed out and he’s not waking up!” Yoongi could hear Jimin was trying to stay strong.

    “Dad, wake up please!” Taehyung started to cry while shaking Hoseok.

Hoseok wasn’t responding to anything and it was worrying Yoongi. Yoongi pushed Taehyung away as he was getting too close to the plate shards.

    “I’m gonna clean up the plate, switch to where I’m at now when I get up. I don’t want you getting hurt too.”

Taehyung sniffed and nodded, understanding the instructions. Yoongi got up and grabbed the dust pan, smiling a bit seeing Taehyung where he was before.

    “I called them, they’re on their way. What do you want me to do?” Jimin was shaking.

    “Thank you baby. Can you bring me that trash can?” Yoongi asked, sweeping up the pieces.

In the distance, they could hear the ambulance approaching and while the boys were at ease, Yoongi wasn’t. He knew Hoseok was hiding something but he really hopes it wasn’t what he thought it was. Once the paramedics entered the house they began to check on Hoseok, before transferring him to the ambulance.

    “What’s wrong with him? Is he going to be okay?” Taehyung followed the paramedics, tears running down his face.

Yoongi ran forward and pulled Taehyung back while the boy began to protest.

    “Taehyung, listen to me!” Yoongi exclaimed, turning the boy around to face him, “You and Jimin are going to go with them. I want you two to take care of your father while I’m gone. Listen to everything they tell you and be on your best behavior. I’ll be there as soon as I can, I just have to make a couple of calls and grab some things.” Yoongi kissed Taehyung’s head and hugged Jimin tightly. Taehyung and Jimin climbed into the ambulance before waving goodbye to Yoongi. They watched the paramedics stick needles into their father, making Taehyung’s stomach flip.

    “What are you doing?” Jimin tilted his head in confusion.

    “We’re checking his vitals.”

    “Does he feel it?”

    “In this state, no.”

    “I don’t like needles.” Taehyung whimpered.

    “I’ll protect you Tae.” Jimin smiled, making Taehyung feel better.

Back home, Yoongi was placing a new change of clothes for his husband in his bag while on the phone with his mother in law.

    “I don’t know what happened, he just collapsed out of nowhere. I think he’s been hiding something.” Yoongi headed downstairs and into the kitchen.

    “Yeah, the boys are with him right now. I just needed to grab a change of clothes for him and some snacks for the boys so they don’t whine. I’ll call you tomorrow with more updates.” Yoongi hung up the phone and grabbed the keys to Hoseok’s car.

He paused for a second and began to shake. What if Hoseok had something serious? He couldn’t lose the love of his life and the father of their kids. He would do anything to keep him by his side even if it meant getting a job to pay for anything Hoseok needed.

    “What do you mean we can’t go in to be with him?” Jimin growled.

Taehyung was crying next to his brother as the nurses tried to prevent them from going any further.

    “My mom told us we were to protect him!”

    “I’m so sorry but you’re just going to have to wait out here.”

    “That’s-” Jimin started, his Yoongi was starting to show.

Taehyung pulled Jimin’s shirt to sit down.

    “He also told us to be on our best behavior.” Taehyung sat down next to his fuming brother, who crossed his arms in defeat.

    “He’ll be okay.” Taehyung smiled after wiping his eyes.

    “My, my, you guys are literally the spitting image of Yoongi and Hoseok.”

They turned their heads and saw Jin walking their way.

    “Did mom call you?” Jimin growled.

    “You’re more like Yoongi than Hoseok.” Jin commented.

    “That’s only when he’s mad.” Taehyung giggled.

Yoongi came around of the corner in a sprint and hugged Jin.

    “Thank you for coming.” Yoongi smiled.

    “I wasn’t going to sit at home while you suffered alone.” Jin hugged Yoongi tightly.

Taehyung got up from his seat and hugged Yoongi after Jin finally let him go.

    “How are you guys doing?” Yoongi hugged Taehyung back.

    “They wouldn’t let us go with dad.” Jimin pouted.

    “I’m sure your dad would want you to protect your mom too.” Jin sat down next to Jimin.

    “I call protecting mom!” Taehyung exclaimed.

    “Fine, I’ll protect dad.” Jimin stuck his tongue out.

A doctor came out and looked at them.

    “Which one of you is the spouse of Jung Hoseok?” She looked at Jin and Yoongi.

    “I’m Jung Yoongi. Is he okay?” Yoongi stood up.

    “Did you know he has cancer?” She asked him.

    “He has what?!” Yoongi’s world began to shatter.

    “It’s been going untreated and I was wondering if you were aware of his decision to not get treated.”

Yoongi out, unable to grasp reality anymore. Taehyung and Jimin scrambled to his side while Jin went to find something to wake him up with.