Surprise Party

Without Him

    "We threw a birthday party for our papa to hopefully get him out of his depression. We worked hard on it but it really didn't put a dent into the fact he was still not there with us. I don't know where his mind is at all the time or what he does in his room. He probably sleeps to get out of this world, to forget the fact that our family was broken and nothing can fix it..." 

16 years old

Taehyung looked around the house to make sure Yoongi didn't appear out of anywhere before hiding in the kitchen pantry. He pulled out his phone and dialed a number he stole from Yoongi’s phone.

    “Heya Jin, it’s Tae Tae. Jimin and I are planning a surprise party for our papa to hopefully cheer him up. He’s still depressed.” Taehyung whispered, “I was wondering if you guys are willing to come?...... Great! I’ll talk to you later.” Taehyung hung up the phone just in time for the pantry door to open.

Jimin stared at Taehyung in confusion before climbing in.

    “There’s not enough space.” Taehyung hissed.

    “Relax, I’m shorter than you.” The only time Jimin actually liked his height was when he could fit in small spaces.

It was a tight squeeze but they were both in.

    “Did you call Aunt Jin?”

    “Yup, did you get a list of decorations written up?”

    “Yup.”

    “Good. Time to start saving paychecks, no spending on stupid .” Taehyung assigned.

    “Got it.”

The pantry was open again and this time it was their life giver.

    “What are you two scheming?” Yoongi raised an eyebrow.

    “Nothing.” They said in unison.

    “You know your father would always hide in the pantry when he was scheming something.” Yoongi scoffed.

    “Really?”

    “Yeah, this is where you two were conceived.” Yoongi smirked.

The boys scrambled out the pantry, running away while Yoongi chuckled and grabbed a bag of chips. A few days later, Yoongi went to visit his mother in law which left the boys a good opportunity to decorate the house for the party. Taehyung was in charge of streamers because of his height and Jimin was in charge of snacks and cake. Taehyung was putting up the last of the decorations and went into the kitchen to see Jimin decorating the cake.

    “That looks good.” Taehyung took some frosting from the corner of the cake with his finger.

    “Ya!”  Jimin hit him with a spatula, “You’re ruining my cake!”

Taehyung ran out of the kitchen and finally put his frosted covered finger his mouth.

    “Well, I think your frosting is too delicious. It’ll take everyone’s minds off my awesome decorations!”

    “Good!” Jimin exclaimed, “Now set up the snack table.”

    “You’re not the-”

    “I’M STILL OLDER BY SEVEN MINUTES NOW GET THE PLATTERS BEFORE I END YOUR LIFE!” Jimin screamed.

    “Yes, Yoongi.” Taehyung said under his breath.

They had everything set up by the time Jin and Namjoon arrived.

    “Sorry we’re a tiny bit late, Jungkook wanted to bring some cookies.”

Ah yes, the (only) golden child of theirs.

    “You’re looking good today, Jungkook.” Taehyung tried his hand at flirting.

    “Why thank you. I hope you like the cookies I made for your mom.” Jungkook handed the platter to the latter.

    “I’m sure he’ll love them.” Taehyung smiled.

    “Stop with the flirting! Papa’s car just showed up.” Jimin smacked Taehyung causing the latter to blush.

    “Good thing we walked instead of taking the van.” Namjoon chuckled.

    “Everyone hide!” Jimin exclaimed.

Everyone hid and waited for the door to the garage to open, Once it opened and Yoongi the lights, they all jumped out.

    “Surprise!”

Yoongi stared at everyone with his hand still on the switch. If it was Hoseok, he’d be screaming at the surprise but Yoongi wasn’t fazed.

    “Ah! A party for me?!” Yoongi decided to play along because he knew his sons did this for him.

    “We set this up!” Jimin exclaimed as if their father didn't know.

    “We can’t stand seeing you so down.” Taehyung confessed.

    “Aw thank you, boys.” Yoongi hugged his son’s tight and kissing their heads, “Go feed the guests for me.”

Taehyung and Jimin nodded before walking over to the snack table. Jin walked over to the birthday boy and handed him an envelope.

    “Happy birthday Yoongi.” Jin smiled.

    “Thank you for coming.” Yoongi smiled back.

    “I heard the boys worked hard on this.” Jin pursed his lips.

    “I overheard them talking about saving their paychecks. So I knew already.” Yoongi snickered.

They chatted with Namjoon for a while, both of them trying to avoid the topic of Hoseok.

    “Papa, come make a wish.” Taehyung exclaimed as Jimin lit the candle.

    “Ah no thank you boys. I’m too old for blowing out candles.”

    “Please! I worked hard on this cake.” Jimin pleaded.

Yoongi gave in when his twin's pouted and sat in front of the cake while Jimin took pictures with Yoongi’s phone. Once Jimin had enough pictures, he blew out the candles and felt his heart hurt.

    “What’d you wish for?” Jungkook asked.

    “For the boy’s father to come back.” Yoongi spoke quietly.

It got awkwardly silent after the answer as that was the topic everyone wanted to avoid.

    “I-I’m sorry I didn’t mean to-”

    “I know, don’t worry about it Jungkook.” Yoongi grabbed a plate, ignoring the pain, “Now who wants the first slice?”

    “ME!” Taehyung pushed Jimin to the floor, “I want to be first for once!”

When Yoongi handed the first slice to Namjoon, Taehyung glared at Jungkook's father.

    “You’re dead to me.” Taehyung growled.

Namjoon’s eyes widened in confusion causing everyone to laugh, well except for Taehyung. He instead took the second slice and sat in the corner to sulk in his broken dreams before Jungkook went to cheer him up. Once the party was over and Jin’s family left, Yoongi shut the front door and looked around. He knew his children threw that party for him but he just wasn't in his right mind to celebrate another birthday without his husband.

    “Do you guys mind cleaning up since you set up?” Yoongi asked.

    “Sure we don’t mind.” Jimin was already picking up the plates.

Yoongi was headed up the stairs when Taehyung stopped him.

    “Did you have fun?”

Yoongi paused for a moment before putting on a fake smile to prevent hurting his son.

    “Yeah, I did.” Before disappearing into his room.

Taehyung's mouth twisted into a frown as he shuffled his feet towards the coffee table and sat down on the couch. Jimin came back out to pick up more plates when he noticed his twin’s gloomy expression.

    “It didn’t work. He’s still depressed.” Taehyung sighed.

    “How do you know that?” Jimin pursed his lip.

    “Because he gave that fake smile, we know it too well.” Taehyung sulked.

    “He’ll get out of it one day. You know how much he loved Dad.” Jimin tried being positive.

    “He clearly loves him more than us.” Taehyung tore down a streamer in anger.

Jimin looked at Taehyung in concern before going back into the kitchen. There wasn't much he could say to comfort his twin at the moment when he was grieving as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Can anyone guess who's narrating?^^