Grandpa

Without Him

     "My grandfather passed away when we were 4. We didn't really rememer him but my papa said he loved having us around. He would hate it when my parents got a different babysitter because he liked watching over us. They never told us the cause but it worried my father a lot, I never knew why." 

4 years old

Jimin was walking around his grandparents’ house as his grandmother held Taehyung.

    “Tae’s infection is almost completely gone so that’s why he’s feeling much better.” Yoongi explained as he put the twin’s bag down.

    “I know his grandfather was feeling quite upset not having them around.” Hoseok’s mother caressed Taehyung’s cheek.

    “I can’t imagine that.” Yoongi picked Jimin up and sat on the couch with him, “How’s he doing?”

    “He isn’t doing too well, I’m afraid he won’t have much long.”

Taehyung and Jimin looked at each other and began to make faces, unable to understand what the adults were talking about.

    “Is Hoseok with him right now?” Yoongi looked at the floor.

    “Yes they’re in the room right now with his sister.”

Taehyung was put on the ground and Jimin was placed next to him, not too far from them was a set of building blocks that they both wanted.

    “It must be terrible for you to go through this. I don’t know how I could manage it.” Yoongi gulped.

    “I’m just hoping Hoseok doesn’t get it. I would hate for the twins to be robbed of their father.”

They looked at the boys who were fighting over the H block to start their towers. Hoseok walked out from the hall and looked over at Yoongi, making him stand up. He walked towards his husband, disappearing from their son’s sight. They didn’t seem to mind as long as grandma was nearby to coddle them as they were building their towers. Taehyung was fine knocking down his twin’s tower when he felt a sudden pain in his ear, he shook his head to try to get it to go away but it only persisted. The pain was so bad for him that he started crying, sadly grandma had gone into the kitchen and Jimin wasn't sure what was going on. He ran towards the hall where he last saw his parents at and noticed the first door he saw was opened a crack. Jimin was right behind his brother when he pushed the door wide open and watched him run towards their mother.

    “Mama!” Taehyung cried, tugging at Yoongi’s jeans.

Everyone in the room looked over at Taehyung then to Jimin, who ran over to their father. Yoongi picked up his distressed 4 year old, looking embarrassed.

    “What is it Tae?” Yoongi began to walk towards the door.

Taehyung only pulled at his ear, making Yoongi look at Hoseok.

    “I’m sorry father but I have to go now. Taehyung’s ear infection is pestering him and his medicine is at home.” Hoseok explained, picking up Jimin.

    “It’s alright Hoseok, your little ones are more important than your sick old man.” His father coughed.

    “No you’re important to me too fath-”

    “Go, I’ll be fine. If you stay any longer Taehyung will lose his ear.” The old man laughed.

Hoseok sister chuckled as well, making Hoseok feel a little better for leaving his sick father.

    “Alright then, I’ll be back once Taehyung’s infection is gone.” Hoseok smiled.

On the way home, the car ride was eerily quiet.

    “You forgot to give Taehyung his medicine today again, didn’t you?” Yoongi spoke up.

    “Don’t start with me.” Hoseok warned.

    “I only asked you to do that one thing while I tried to get a fussy Jimin into his outfit and you forgot!” Yoongi exclaimed.

    “Damn it, Yoongi, you know I have a lot on my mind right now. Yes, I forgot to give him his medicine because I was worried about my father!!” Hoseok yelled.

Taehyung opened his eyes at the sound of Hoseok’s loud voice, Jimin looked over at Taehyung in concern.

    “I’m sorry, Hoseok. I’m worried as well but you can’t just forget about your sons. You almost forgot to grab Jimin before we left.” Yoongi’s voice was soft.

Hosoek noticed the boys were up and listening before sighing.

    “I didn’t mean to forget about Taehyung’s health, I thought I put the medicine in the bag but I must’ve left it on the counter. I’m sorry for yelling, Sugar.” Hoseok held Yoongi’s hand with one hand still on the wheel.

    “I forgive you but you’re going to have to apologize to Taehyung for waking him up.” Yoongi squeezed Hoseok’s hand.

    “Taehyung, dad-” Hoseok started.

Taehyung let out a piercing cry, the pain was back and he felt like he was burning in the jacket his mom put him in.

    “We’re almost home Tae, just hold on a bit more.” Yoongi bit his lip, wishing the infection would just disappear.

When they finally pulled into the driveway, Hoseok turned the car off and rushed to Taehyung’s side. He unbuckled the toddler and ran into the house leaving Jimin for Yoongi,

    “Your daddy went to help Tae, don’t worry.” Yoongi picked up Jimin and ruffled his hair.

Yoongi put Jimin down in the play pin once he shut the door to their small house. The house phone began to ring as he walked past it.

    “Jung residence, this is Yoongi speaking.” Yoongi picked up.

    “Yoongi, is Hoseok there?” Hoseok’s sister asked.

    “Yes, why?” Yoongi’s heart began to pound.

    “Our father….”

Yoongi began to zone out as he saw Hoseok putting Taehyung in the tub for a warm bath, hopefully to break his fever. He was smiling as Taehyung was cooperating with him and not splashing water.

    “I’ll put him on.” Yoongi’s voice cracked.

He put the phone down and walked towards the bathroom, every step he took felt never ending.

    “Hoseok, your sister is on the phone. I’ll take over Tae’s bath.” Yoongi bent down next to the tub.

    “Thank you babe.” Hoseok kissed Yoongi’s head, before drying his hands.

Hoseok walked out of the bathroom and Taehyung noticed the tears running down Yoongi’s face.

    “It’s Hoseok.” Yoongi heard out in the living room.

    “Mama?” Taehyung reached out.

    “I’m fine baby. Let’s get your bath done and over with.” Yoongi faked a smile for his son.

Taehyung’s bath was over a few minutes later making him sleepy and breaking his fever a bit. He fell asleep in Yoongi’s arms as they walked out of the bathroom. Yoongi saw Hoseok staring at Jimin in the pin while sitting on the floor.

    “I’m so sorry.” Yoongi’s tears fell again.

Hoseok didn’t say anything and instead reached out for Yoongi. He sat next to Hoseok, Taehyung snuggled in his arms in his bath towel. They said nothing and Yoongi just cried, making Hoseok kiss his head.