First Word

Without Him

    "We were pretty bad kids to dress as we avoided putting on pants, shirts and constantly threw our shoes off. I was told there was a pair of baby shoes in an exhibit at the zoo because we threw them in there. It must've been hard trying to keep shoes on our feet. Papa probably had a lot of fun trying to clothe us."

3 years old

Yoongi was running after Jimin, who refused to put on pants.

    “Jimin, you can’t go to grandpa and grandma’s like that!” Yoongi exclaimed.

Jimin giggled as he ran from his mom as Taehyung watched from his father’s lap.

    “Jimin, stop running and let mama put your pants on.” Hoseok chuckled.

Taehyung had his thumb in his mouth and giggled when Yoongi slipped on the rug.

    “Hon, are you okay?” Hoseok called.

    “I will be once Jimin has pants on!” Yoongi got up with a vengeance.

Taehyung and Hoseok watched Yoongi and Jimin disappear into the kitchen, knowing it’d be the last of the twin.

    “Stop on your thumb, Tae.” Hoseok grabbed a pacifier from the bag and put it in Taehyung’s mouth, “You need to get out of that habit.”

Hoseok ran his hand through Taehyung’s brown hair, thinking that Taehyung was very similar to him. They heard squealing come from the kitchen and Yoongi came back out with a fidgety Jimin.

    “He finally has pants on.” Yoongi held Jimin out to show off the fully clothed boy.

    “Great, now let’s see if he can keep his shoes on.” Hoseok stood up with Taehyung in his arms.

Yoongi’s victory smile faded when he remembered about the shoes Jimin always kicks off. He’s already gone through 3 pairs of shoes and one of those pairs is in an exhibit at the zoo.

    “Oh boy.” Yoongi sighed, sitting Jimin on the couch. “Now Minnie, you can’t be kicking these off. They protect your feet.”

Yoongi put on his left shoe and watched Jimin’s facial expression, no change. After the right shoe was on, Yoongi deemed it a success.

    “Now let’s go before he changes his mind about them.” Yoongi picked up Jimin and slung the baby bag over his shoulder.

Once at the car, Yoongi was having a hard time getting Taehyung strapped in. Jimin watched his mom’s struggles with a pacifier in his mouth.

    “You better not be laughing at me, Minnie.” Yoongi looked at the strapped in boy.

Jimin took his pacifier out and giggled, making Yoongi reach over to put it back in his mouth. It only caused Jimin to throw it at Yoongi, hitting him in the face. Yoongi bit his lip and picked up the pacifier.

    “This is mine now.” Yoongi growled.

Taehyung began to whine as mom had him strapped in uncomfortably. Hoseok moved Yoongi out of the way and buckled the boy right.

    “Did mommy buckle you in wrong?” Hoseok cooed at Taehyung.

    “I swear Hoseok, I will end you.” Yoongi threatened from the passenger seat.

On the way to Hoseok’s parents, Jimin began to fidget in his seat while Taehyung was fast asleep.

    “What’s up with Jimin?” Hoseok looked at his son through the rearview mirror.

Yoongi shrugged and then remembered about the pacifier when Jimin suddenly broke out into a cry, waking Taehyung up. Taehyung looked confused at Jimin and probably wasn’t very happy he was woken up.

    “Yoongi?” Hoseok asked again.

Yoongi turned around and placed the pacifier in Jimin’s mouth.

    “Throw it at me again and it will be the last time you ever on that thing.” Yoongi warned his 3-year-old.

Jimin giggled and reached out for Yoongi.

    ‘Oh, now you want my attention? It’s a little too late for that.” Yoongi turned back around.

    “He’s just like you, you know, throwing things at people.” Hoseok chuckled.

    “I only threw that pan at you one time, and I was pregnant so I have an excuse.”

    “You were only three weeks in!”

    “You upset me.” Yoongi crossed his arms.

Jimin was still fidgety and Yoongi couldn’t figure out why. He was making weird noises and they could tell the pacifier wasn’t in his mouth.

    “M….Mmm…” Was all that was coming out of Jimin’s mouth.

    “I swear he’s your son.” Yoongi rolled his eyes.

    “Of course he is, have you seen how handsome he is?” Hoseok smirked.

    “Mmm..aa….Ma..ma!”

    “What?” Yoongi turned his head.

It took them a few seconds before they realized it.

    “HOSEOK! HE SAID MAMA!!” Yoongi yelled.

    “Say it again baby.” Hoseok looked at Jimin through the mirror again.

    “Mmmuu….Ma..ma.” Jimin giggled.

Yoongi pulled out his phone and began to record the infant.

    “Minnie say mama!”

Jimin stared at the phone pointed at him and threw his pacifier before speaking.

    “Ma Ma!” Jimin giggled again.

    “Hoseok, our baby is growing up.” Yoongi cried.

Then they looked over at Taehyung, who was fast asleep, unaware of everything that just happened.