Chapter 9

Only You

With a swift motion, Jungkook shoved his test paper back inside his bag and tucked the little sheet that was ripped from it into his pants’ pocket before he stood up from his seat and made a dash toward the door not even noticing the teacher who just came in.

“Oy! Where do you think are you going? We’re about to start!”

However, Jungkook paid him no heed as he exited the room with an expression of confidence plastered on his face and with nerves that just couldn’t calm themselves down.

“This is too good to be true.”

After a while of speed walking, Jungkook stopped at the door in front of him, eyeing it before going in.

“Hello, Mr. Jeon. What can I help you with?” one of the school’s professor immediately asked from his table as he became aware of the newly-entered presence in the faculty room.

Jungkook flashed him a smile, acting all innocent to meet his needs. “I came to see Mrs. Song. Is she available?”

“Yes. She was here a moment ago but I think she went out to retrieve something. She’ll be back soon,” he answered with much courtesy and mock kindness at the son of the school’s owner.

“He must want a promotion,” Jungkook thought as he bowed at the older man before excusing himself. “I’ll wait by her table then. Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome, Mr. Jeon. Tell your father I said hi though,” he replied with a forced smile at the lad who gave him a fake grin in return.

“I’ll take that to mind.”

Jungkook walked over to the said table and sat down on one of the chairs beside it, tapping his foot on the floor with much anticipation.

“Jungkook, there you are! I thought you’d never come,” Mr. Kim greeted the boy all of a sudden which caused Jungkook to flinch a little as he approached from his table just in time Mrs. Song went inside the faculty room.

“Not now, old man,” Jungkook muttered as he stood up and shoved aside his Mathematics teacher. “I’m busy.”

Even before his teacher could protest, Jungkook was already dashing toward Mrs. Song.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Song,” he greeted in a cheery tone. This time, he was the one to fake it.

“What do you want?” she retorted with a voice opposite his. She was clearly still not in good terms with the boy who refused to ignore her rather than listen to her during last time’s discussion.

“I was wondering if you could do me a favor.”

Upon hearing the word ‘favor’, her ears immediately perked up, ready to hear whatever it is for the sake of a possible promotion just like how every faculty member of the university would do so if given the chance. She, then, gave the lad her sweetest and most endearing smile. “Well, of course! You can ask me anything. What is it?”

“Predictable old hag…”

“It’s actually not that of a big deal,” Jungkook said, pretending to associate with her act. “I was just wondering if you still have the list of the students in detention when you were assigned to take charge last time.”

“Oh! The list! Yes, I have it with me. I’ll go get it quickly. Wait there.” With much enthusiasm, she scurried off to her table to look for the requested list leaving Jungkook to himself.

 


Yuna tried her best to hide herself in the crowd as she waited for everyone to come out of the classroom.

“Why am I even doing this?”

Once the assigned teacher, being the last person inside, stepped out, Yuna readied herself as she tugged her backpack with both hands.

“I don’t even know but here goes nothing.”

She sneakily made a run for the door and went inside after cautiously looking around to see if anyone followed her. Satisfied at the presence of no one else in the hallway as the crowd dissipated, she closed the door behind her and hastily walked over to the familiar desk on the other side of the room.

“Sometimes, I feel like somebody’s taking over my body and making me do such surprising things.”

Yuna reached out for the hole before stopping herself as she placed her hand over , realizing something.

“What if I have Dissociative Identity Disorder?”

Yuna’s eyes went wide upon what came out of her thoughts as she stood frozen in her spot.

“It could be possible. It could explain why I’m acting so weird these past few weeks. I think I should definitely go see a doctor.”

Lost in her train of thoughts, Yuna didn’t become aware of the presence of another person a few feet away who opened a crack in the door to peek at her.

 


“Here you go, dear,” Mrs. Song stated in an overly sweet tone as she grinned over at the lad who could only stare at her with disgust.

“Thank you, Mrs. Song,” Jungkook said, accepting the sheet before hurriedly making his way out of the faculty room, afraid of further interactions with the spine-chilling teacher who only acted good to him for her own benefit.

“As if I’ll tell my dad to give them promotions…”

Jungkook walked for a solid minute before he reached the room of the student affairs where every document concerning the university’s every enrolled student is kept. Coming here meant that the list alone wasn’t enough to give him his answers. Jungkook wanted assurance and for that, he had to dig deep. And by deep, he meant going as far as looking at the profiles of the students on the list one by one.

 


“No, it can’t be,” Yuna whispered to herself as she shook her head to remove the unsettling thoughts. “I don’t have a split personality for if I did, I would have been caught up in a complicated relationship with some weird guy right now.”

“That’s right. I’d probably face dilemma all the time if I had another personality. Besides, Eunha was always with me and she never mentioned anything about another personality of mine.”

As if she had gone insane, Yuna nodded in agreement to no one but herself. “Okay, that’s not what I came here for. I should focus on my intention.”

She took a deep breath and reached out for the hole once more with ample tension.

“Eh?”

Instead of having to pull out the usual sheet of paper, she was met with nothing.

“Where’s the note?”

“What note?”

Yuna flinched upon hearing the unexpected voice. She stood motionless in shock as she heard the footsteps coming closer to her little by little.

“Is there something I need to know?”

 


“What’s that?” Taehyung asked referring to the stack of paper on the hands of Jungkook who just entered the room with a grin on his face.

“This…” Jungkook made his way over to the two boys relaxing on the couch and dropped the heap of papers on the table in front of them as he threw them a buoyant smirk. “…is the answer to my problem.”

“Problem? As in your failing grade in Mathematics?” Yugyeom joked that earned him a frown from Jungkook.

“Yes, problem as in the mysterious girl. And no, I am not failing Mathematics.”

“Right, you’ll probably just pull some strings like what you always do every year.”

Jungkook glared at his friend who could only grin at him teasingly while wiggling his eyebrows. “Whatever. That doesn’t concern me now because what matters most at this present is that I get these papers sorted out and you…” He pointed at the two people in front of him. “…are going to help me.”

“Oh c’mon! I even ditched my groupmates to have some time off for myself and now I’ll be looking over some students’ profiles?” Yugyeom whined as he slumped his head on the couch, lying down with his face flat.

“Are you sure about this though?” Taehyung inquired his dongsaeng as he reached out to get one paper from the pile on the table before examining it.

“I’m a hundred percent positive,” Jungkook answered as he made his way over to the opposite couch and plopped himself down on it. “Okay, let’s get down to business.”

 


“Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Yuna reluctantly and gradually turned herself to face her best friend, quite not knowing how to answer the question thrown at her. “Huh?”

“Don’t make me repeat myself, Yuju,” Eunha sternly warned and for a moment, Yuna felt intimidated. The only time she experienced Eunha being like this was when she lied to her over the phone when she was asked, in concern, where she was because out of all the possibilities that could happen in a field trip, she just had to get lost. And being the proud girl she was, she didn’t want to admit the fact at that time that she was stuck in some unknown place without knowledge of where to go next or where to get help. Reminiscing that, she should have considered how her best friend loathed it when they keep things from each other especially if it’s for the sake of one. But truthfully, after she started receiving the replies on her notes, those things she needed to remember just slipped out of her mind like everything just decided to float away and not come back until now.

“I’m sorry,” Yuna said in barely a whisper as she lowered her head, ashamed of how much of a disappointment she is as a best friend. “I should’ve told you sooner. It’s just that I forgot that we promised before not to keep anything from the other or lie. I just got too engrossed in what was happening to me that I overlooked our promise.”

The irritation left Eunha’s face as it was replaced with concern over the scene in front of her. She didn’t want Yuna to feel down about herself. She just wanted her to tell her what’s going on. She just wanted to relate and be there for her. But she guessed she approached her the wrong way.

“Yuna…” Eunha uttered as she walked over to her best friend and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “It’s not your fault. I’m not blaming you for not telling me sooner or for making me find out for myself. I guess we just misunderstood one another that’s why this happened. Don’t fret too much about it.” She bent down a little to peek at her best friend’s face before standing back up and lifting her best friend’s chin with her hands. Only then did she realize tears were starting to form on Yuna’s face.

“Are you crying?”

“No,” Yuna answered as a single tear fell down her cheek.

Eunha giggled as she pulled her best friend to sit down on the nearest chair before she, too, sat down. “Right. You clearly aren’t,” she said sarcastically. “But as I said, you shouldn’t worry about such a petty problem. Crying and Yuna doesn’t go well together.”

Yuna chuckled at her best friend’s attempt to lighten up her mood as she wiped away the evidence of tears from her face. “You’re the best.”

“I know. But what makes me doubt my capabilities though was the fact that you managed to hide something from me- the girl who knows everything around this school.”

Another laugh came out of Yuna as she smiled at Eunha who pouted cutely at her. “That makes me the better than the best then.”

 


“This is boring,” Yugyeom complained as he placed another sheet into the rejected corner. “Are you even sure about this?”

“I already told you I’m positive about this. And I never go wrong once I act on something,” Jungkook assured both lads with him as he grabbed another sheet from the pile only to immediately discard it into the rejected corner.

“Aren’t you going to go over that?” Taehyung asked after he noticed Jungkook’s actions.

“Nope. That one obviously doesn’t concern me. Besides, that girl is too stupid that it’d be a miracle if she wrote those notes. I doubt she even knows what cheesiness and romance are,” the younger replied before grabbing another sheet.

“You’re one to talk,” Taehyung muttered under his breath but was still caught by their golden maknae who seemed to have gifted senses.

“What was that?”

“Nothing.”

Curious, Taehyung stood up and looked at the newly-rejected paper. What was before him though only allowed a smile to tug at his lips as he looked over at Yugyeom. Cautiously, he bent down to pick up the paper, making sure Jungkook didn’t notice before he made his way back on the couch and slipped it into Yugyeom’s lap.

“What the-”

Taehyung lightly hit Yugyeom by the arm as he threw him a face as if saying “Shut up” in which the younger understood right away as he nodded his head and took the paper in his hands, examining it only to stare in shock with mouth agape before he turned to look at his hyung once more who only gave a slight nod.

“Oy! Are you just going to sit there and relax or are you going to help me?” Jungkook asked, annoyed at how he is the only one left doing the work.

“I’ll choose the first one,” Yugyeom replied with a huge grin as Jungkook gave him a penetrating glare.

“Go back to work.”

 


Eunha nodded in perfect understanding of what Yuna just explained. She stood up from her seat and paced back and forth in front of her best friend. “That means you’re curious. You want to know who this person is.”

In defense, Yuna made an ‘x’ mark with her arms crossed over her chest. “No. Absolutely not. I’m not curious. I don’t want to know the person. Not knowing him or her somehow gives this exciting feeling which I prefer more than the awkwardness that might come if ever I’ll know this person’s identity and might just happen to meet him or her on campus. Now, that would be embarrassing,”

“You’re in denial.”

“What?! No. Of course, not. What I said was all true.”

Yuna averted her best friend’s gaze who, in turn, rolled her eyes at how stupid the other could get.

“Tell that to yourself all you want but I’m not falling for it. I know you well enough to believe what you said was the entire truth. You can fool yourself but not me.”

Eunha walked over to the table beside where her best friend was seated and grabbed her backpack from there before beginning to walk toward the door. Yuna, who noticed what was happening, quickly stood up and also retrieve her backpack from the adjacent table.

“Wait. Where are you going? You can’t just leave.”

Eunha stopped on her tracks and turned to face her best friend with raised eyebrows. “Isn’t it obvious? I’m acting on your stead.”

“Huh?”

The shorter girl rolled her eyes for another time as a way of controlling herself from slapping her own face. “You’re hopeless.” With that, she turned her back and walked out.

“Hey, wait!”

 


“So, these are the possible identities?” Jungkook inquired as he scanned through the papers laid out on the table after quite a long time of sorting through the student profiles. Unbeknownst to him, Yugyeom and Teahyung exchanged glances that clearly communicated “How stupid could he get?”.

“Yeah,” Taehyung answered, trying to hold his laughter. Of course, they weren’t entirely absolute that the girl was Choi Yuna but given the conditions, she was their best bet and his dongsaeng, in all wonder, didn’t even consider her.

“I’m thinking it could be her.” Jungkook pointed at the paper to the leftmost corner which made both other males to take a closer look at its contents.

“Kim Ji Ho?” Yugyeom read.

“Why her?” Taehyung asked at Jungkook who had a smug look on his face.

“She was once reported to have stalked her ex-boyfriend for almost two months after he broke up with her.”

Both Taehyung and Yugyeom threw an incredulous face at the self-satisfied boy before them, unbelieving of how hard stupidity must have struck him.

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that,” Yugyeom said as he turned his back and began to walk away. Taehyung looked at him and at Jungkook, back and forth two times, contemplating on what he should do before opting to also leave saying, “Yeah, me too.”

Jungkook scrambled to his feet as he tried to catch up with the two. “Hey, what do you mean by that?!”

Yugyeom and Taehyung both acted deaf toward Jungkook as they continued to exit the room, unmindful of the stupid person behind them.

 


Our midterm examinations are finally over! Yay! To my readers who have patiently waited for me, here's the update I promised. Although it came a little late, still, I was able to post it. I also experimented a little on this chapter. As you have noticed, I switch between Yuju and Jungkook's scene every so often and that is to try and create a somehow thrilling effect on their actions concerning the notes since this story is almost at its end.  Please keep a look out for my next update and if you want, you can tell me your thoughts on this chapter/story. I'll be sure to read them and even reply if needed. I hoped you enjoyed reading my works so far. :)