Chapter 1

Only You

To say she was bored out of her mind would sound like a total understatement. In fact, Choi Yuna was never fond of History to begin with. For her, dead people should just stay dead? Why bother complicating your mind with some dead people’s lives when you have your own problematic life to deal with?

A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she struggled to keep her eyes open for the discussion. Because she was so lucky, sarcasm intended, that out of all the days of the week where she would oversleep and not get her daily dose of morning coffee, it just had to be Wednesday where she needs to get herself through a whole hour and a half of blabber about some past events that had entirely nothing to do with her planned career.

“It’s not like I’m going to make music out of some historical event,” she whispered to herself while slowly crouching to rest her head on her table. “I need to do something fun or else I’m going to die.”

“Psst…”

Yuna snapped out of her thinking upon realizing the familiar sound of her best friend’s voice. Automatically, she sat back up.

“At least I have my best friend here to suffer with me,” she thought to herself as she mentally giggled at the funny thought of how Eunha who loathe history more than her is actually also stuck in this tedious class.

Slowly so as not to catch the professor’s attention, Yuna tilted her head to the direction of Eunha who seems to be the only one who can save her from her misery as of the moment. Fully facing Eunha’s way, she was greeted with the latter’s grinning expression that made her look like an idiot.

Curious as to what could be making Eunha that cheery in the middle of a history class, she mouthed “What?” After years of communicating like this in class, silent chatting has already been a skill that they both mastered. One would mouth something and the other would catch on in a second. It simply went like that in every class they had together. They were considerate enough to respect the teacher discussing in front that they would make their chatter as quiet as possible yet they were also rude enough to share a conversation during the discussion. Yes, it is complicated but it is what kept them sane in an environment of constant talk about some random lessons which clearly does not hold their interest.

“I’m bored,” Yuna read from her best friend’s lips in which she swiftly replied “Me too.”

“I sent you a photo though. It’s hilarious. Take a look at it,” Eunha mouthed once more while pointing at her smartphone to indicate her point.

Comprehending her friend’s words, Yuna uttered a silent “Oh” before getting to grab her smartphone from her bag. Cautiously hiding her actions underneath her desk, Yuna pressed her phone’s power button and the device immediately came to life. She opened her email and checked for the said message that Eunha sent. Fortunately, it had been her only current unread mail so without further hesitation and with a bit of excitement, she tapped on the mail to open it. At once, she was greeted with a funny candid photo of their unnie, Yerin who was caught in the middle of laughter. Being careful to avoid a scene, Yuna held back her giggle as she continued to stare at the phone’s screen. She had to give it to Yerin-unnie for being a source of natural hilarity.

“Psst…”

Returning to face Eunha once again, Yuna shifted slowly and turned her head toward the other girl’s direction. “You’re crazy,” she whispered as an end of their little conversation before she went back to facing the front where their professor had absolutely no knowledge about his class’ mischiefs.

And just like that, Yuna’s happiness turned out to be short-lived.

“When will this day end?” Yuna whispered to herself as she checked to see the time on her watch only to notice that just over twenty minutes had passed after the start of their class discussion which means that she still needed to endure for an hour and ten minutes more. “Seriously? How come time moves so slowly when I’m dying yet it flies by whenever I’m enjoying a moment? The heavens must have hated me.” Dreading the thought, Yuna harshly ruffled her hair before resting her head back on her desk once again.

“It’s so boring,” she mumbled and grabbed her pen from the corner of her table, twirling it in her fingers as she stared blankly at the part of the classroom’s window that was visible from where she was seated. “It could’ve been a nice day to hang out at the beach,” she thought as she marveled at the clear sky that seems to be taunting her, trying to current state of helplessness.

“Damn, school life…”

Yuna, realizing that there was nothing she could do, decided to sat back up and let out a deep breath. She thought that she might as well use her time productively considering the fact that she’ll be stuck here for an hour more. From her bag, she grabbed her notebook and opened it on a blank page.

“Taking down notes is the best way to kill time,” she assured herself mentally as she began to jot down on her notebook the words written on the board.

“This is it. I’ll just keep on writing and hopefully, I won’t even notice that one hour had already passed.”

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

“Ughhh!” Placing her pen down, Yuna let out a silent scream of exasperation. There’s absolutely no way she can deceive herself. Who was she to think she can distract her thoughts by simply copying the words written on the board? Heck, she wasn’t even keen on taking down notes to begin with. Notes, for her, are just a waste of paper, time, money, and effort.

“Kill me now,” she muttered to no one in particular as she traced the outline of her desk’s edges in an attempt to calm her raging nerves. Dragging her index finger along the wooden surface of the table, Yuna started to hum a tune in her mind only to stop midway.

“Huh? What’s this?”

Drawing closer to the location where her finger stopped, Yuna examined the spot. There appears to be a small hole indented at the rightmost corner of the table. It was little enough to remain concealed and unnoticed if not clearly eyed up yet it was big enough for what Yuna planned in mind out of the blue.

“This will be my little secret,” she thought to herself as she tore a tiny piece of paper from her notebook and grabbed her trusty pen before she starter to scribble.

“Only you, I think of only you every day.”

Yuna stared at the paper in her hands where written on it was a line she had in mind for a song she was planning on working on once summer starts. It’s only a few weeks before June kicks in and summer officially starts so she was already coming up with possible lines that would make up the song’s lyrics. This one was the one line she favored the most.

“Every Wednesday would mean another line to be added,” Yuna reasoned as she rolled the little piece of paper merrily before shoving it in the hole of her desk. “This way, I’ll have something to look forward to during History class.”

Contented, a smile graced Yuna’s lips as she began to feel excited for next week’s History class. At least, now History won’t be as boring as it was before for her.

 


 

“C’mon, hurry up!” Yuna exclaimed as she grabbed her best friend’s wrist, dragging her slow form with her to their History class.

“What’s gotten into you? You’ve never been this thrilled to attend History class before,” Eunha whined as she let herself be pulled by the clearly enthusiastic Choi Yuna. Seeing her best friend act all happy to be in History sent shivers to Eunha’s spine. Something was wrong yet she can’t exactly pinpoint what it is.

“Stop asking. Just hurry up.”

Rolling her eyes, Eunha decided to let it go. “Fine.”

 


 

As soon as they entered the four walls of their History class’ classroom, Yuna hurriedly ran over to her seat, placed her bag on the floor, and comfortably sat down. Eunha, on the other hand, who was left staring at her best friend’s weird actions, only let out a sigh before walking over to her respective seat as well.

“I’ve been waiting one week for this,” Yuna thought as she struggled, with her shaking fingers, to remove the paper inserted in the hidden hole of her desk. For the past few days, all she could think about was what perfect line should she write next and she couldn’t wait to dwell on that satisfactory feeling of writing it on a tiny piece of ripped paper and stashing it away as her weekly little secret. Now that she already has the next line in her mind, her hands are itching to scribble it down.

Biting her lips in concentration, she carefully pinched a portion of the paper before pulling it out. “Bingo.

After successfully removing the paper, Yuna was about to place it to the side only to notice something odd in the paper. With her inquisitive nature, she opted to find out what was it that she saw whether she was just hallucinating or not.

Hastily, Yuna unrolled the piece of paper with a million of thoughts running in her head.

“EH?!”

A mixture of shock, disbelief, and annoyance adorned Yuna’s face as she stared at the paper in her hands. “What the hell?!”

To say she was annoyed would sound like a total understatement. Choi Yuna was furious. Why? It’s because in her cherished little piece of paper that was supposed to be for her amusement alone, under the line she wrote for herself, were the words: “I know I’m hot and all but you don’t have to go this far in stalking me.”