Chapter 5

Only You

“So, what you’re trying to say is that I just have to keep a look out for a suspicious person lurking in this room more specifically in that particular table?” Yugyeom asked in clarification at what his friend just explained while pointing over to the said seat.

“Exactly. Then, if you find something, you report it to me.”

A laugh came out of Yugyeom as he stared in disbelief at Jungkook.

“What’s so funny?”

“You, obviously. I’ve never seen you this interested in a girl before.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes at his friend as he leaned his back on the wall of the currently empty room. “I’m just curious to know who she is. Besides, I’m not even sure if the person behind the notes is a girl. I just based my assumption on the cheesiness of the lines.”

“From what you told me, I could also feel that the person’s a girl,” Yugyeom agreed as he took a seat at a nearby table.

“Anyway, I also already asked Taehyung-hyung to help me out. The more eyes to observe, the better.”

“This girl could probably be your soulmate.”

Annoyed at the sudden assertion, Jungkook casted a displeased look over to his friend who had a huge teasing grin on his face while he wiggled his eyebrows. “As if.”

“You’ll never know. I mean, if I hadn’t known you for quite a long time now, I’d assume you have feelings for this special anonymous person.”

“Well, then, it’s a good thing you know me well enough. I’d never stoop so low and fall for someone I don’t even know personally.”

“Right,” Yugyeom exclaimed in a playful tone as he walked over to where Jungkook was and gave him a pat on the back. “You’re Jeon Jungkook, the ever-impassable campus crush of the girls here in the university.”

Jungkook, in turn, gave a smug look in agreement to what he just heard. “Exactly.”

 


 

“And that’s how their entire kingdom fell into the hands of Achaemenid Empire…”

“Ughh…when will this end?” Yuna thought as she once again struggled to stay awake at the middle of their History class. If not for the coffee she just had this morning, she would have been sleeping by now.

“In hell, would I fall asleep again…I’d probably end up drenched in water for the second time.”

To assure herself the torment was going to pass, she checked her wristwatch for the time only to be disappointed at the reality that just over ten minutes had passed since their teacher began blabbering about some historical events that clearly doesn’t concern her.

With a sigh, Yuna placed her head on her desk, falling into a hopeless state of mind.

“Boooring,” she whined in her mind as she looked at the scene outside from her view of the large window of their classroom.

“Then, on the year 539 BCE, the Persian king Cyrus arrived and took Babylon…”

Yuna once again checked the time as she sat back up, quite not sure of what else she was going to do to make time pass more quickly. “Fifteen minutes gone, just an hour and fifteen minutes more…”

With a deep sigh, she leaned back on her chair while she stared blankly at their professor who seemed to be too focused on his discussion to not notice the fact that almost half of the class were not listening to his rants.

“Poor old man…”

Yuna continued to gaze indifferently before her eyes darted over to the corner of her table.

“That’s right,” she mumbled to herself as she pulled her chair closer to the desk. “The note…”

Grabbing a pen and a piece of paper, Yuna started to recall the line she had thought of for the past few days. In all truthfulness, she had been trying hard to think of the perfect line to make up for last week’s lack. She only had a few more weeks before classes end so she needed as much ideas as she can get. After a short while of constant brainstorming, Yuna finally remembered.

“Right. That’s it.”

She immediately bent over and began writing.

“Ta-da!” she happily exclaimed to herself as she examined the masterpiece in her hands. “And now to keep it safe…” She, then, began to roll the piece of paper, making sure that it would be small enough to fit snugly in the tiny hole. Once finished, she leaned over even more on her desk as she tried to place the paper only to realize something was not quite right.

“What’s this?”

Examining closely, Yuna found out that something else was inserted in the hole. “Did someone else notice this hole?”

Yuna, whose curiosity perked up, decided to remove the paper from its hiding place. “Something’s written on it,” she thought as she inspected the little note before unrolling it to read whatever was on it.

“Hey, stalker, why don’t you have a cheesy line for me this week? Have you given up in your hopes of pursuing me to like you?”

In an instant, anger boiled inside Yuna as she finished reading the words on the paper. It felt as though she was going to erupt in rage any moment soon. However, she can’t exactly do that in the middle of her History class considering the fact that she’s too good to get detention over something so trivial. So, with all her might, Yuna gathered every ounce of patience in her as she fought back the urge to scream in utter frustration.

“Damn this person…”

Yuna quickly retrieved her pen and paper and began scribbling words.

“So conceited…”

And for the rest of the time during their History period, Yuna had not once felt another strike of boredom for her mind was too occupied by the little note or notes, if she may say, that she inserted in her desk’s hole as a response to the challenge being put forward to her by whoever stuck-up person decided to call her as a stalker.

“As for your homework, don’t forget to read ahead pages 255-281 on your textbook. With that, you are dismissed.”

At the professor’s words, everyone except Yuna rapidly stood up and made their way out of the room, excited to finally end a long day and dull school day.

“Aren’t you going to leave?” Eunha inquired as she approached her best friend from behind wth her bag already slung over her shoulder.

Yuna snapped out from her engaged thoughts at the sound of her best friend. “What?” she asked, looking back at Eunha.

“I was asking if you were planning to stay behind. Detention students will be arriving soon.”

“Oh, right.” At once, Yuna proceeded to stash her things inside her backpack before standing up to push back her chair. “Let’s go.”

Eunha nodded as she led the way toward the door. “I heard there’s this newly-opened café nearby. We should totally check it out. They said the latte there was to die for,” Eunha began as a way of opening up a conversation with her best friend who looked distracted over something she doesn’t know about.

“Uh-huh,” Yuna commented as she walked ahead, uninterested.

“Is something wrong? You look-”

“Yuna?”

Both girls turned their heads at the direction of the sudden voice.

“Hey! I didn’t know you had class here,” the person casually approached the two girls with one hand in his pocket and the other supporting his bag slung over one of his shoulder.

“Hi there…uhmmm…” Yuna replied as she realized who was calling her. “Yu…Yu…Yugyeom, right?” she said, unsure of the exactness of her reply.

The boy chuckled as he nodded his head. “Yup, it’s Yugyeom. I’m glad you remembered. Also, hi,” he said as he looked over at Eunha who seemed to still be comprehending the fact that her best friend had a boy for a friend and not only that. She seemed to be relaxed around him.

“Hi,” Eunha replied as she awkwardly waved a hand after clearing her thoughts of unnecessary suspicions. For someone keen on topics about boys and stuff, she was not one to be comfortable around the opposite much like her best friend. So, it was a wonder to her how the two met.

“You’re Eunbi, right? We have Homeroom together.”

“Oh, really? I didn’t know.” Eunha faked a laugh as she scratched the back of her head. “That’s why you two know each other.”

“I bumped into him last week,” Yuna explained.

“Anyway, did your class here just ended?” Yugyeom asked while pointing over to the emptied room.

“Yes. We were about to leave.”

“Did anyone not in your class happen to go inside?”

Thinking back, both girls shook their head. “None that we can think of.”

“Okay, thanks.”

“We should get going, then,” Yuna stated as she grabbed her best friend by the shoulders before giving out a smile over to Yugyeom who waved his hand as a sign of farewell in return.

 


 

“It turns out there’s a class held in this room every Wednesday before detention period,” Yugyeom explained to Jungkook as they sat beside each other on detention. Well, he was actually not given detention. Fortunately, he had not caused trouble since this morning. To say, Yugyeom had been good today. He only came for the report.

‘So probably, the suspect is a student of that class,” Jungkook uttered as he began to think deeper.

“You can’t be entirely sure of that. I mean, there’s a span of one week in between every exchange. A lot of people could have occupied that seat you’re in.”

“That’s a good point.” Jungkook considered as he once again thought of the what-ifs.

“Anyway, since I’ve done my job for today, I’ll get going now.”

“Okay. Thanks for cooperating.”

Yugyeom nodded to his friend before he stood up from where he was seated and started to walk over to the door.

“Oi! Where do you think are you going, mister?!” the assigned lady teacher for detention period shouted over to Yugyeom in attempt to stop him on his track.

“Out,” he replied nonchalantly before completely leaving the room.

“Stop!” she screamed as she proceeded to run out of the room to chase the escaping student. “You stop right there, young man!”

Jungkook could only laugh as he watched in amusement at the scene his friend just created.

“Yugyeom and his wild ways…”

Returning to focus on his reality, Jungkook straightened his back before pulling his chair closer to the desk.

“And now for the fun part.”

He bent a little over the wooden table as he reached his hand out to extract the expected paper inside the hidden little hole at the corner. And once he felt the outline of what he was looking for, in one swift motion, he expertly pulled it out. A smirk, then, tugged at his lips for a moment before realization hit him which made him grin even more.

“This isn’t what I inserted last week.”

To say he was excited would be overstating it but Jungkook couldn’t deny that fact that he was feeling eager to unroll the sheet and read through what’s written on it. Heck, he’d never been this thrilled during detention before.

“It must have been because no note was here last week,” he reasoned as he carefully opened the tiny piece of paper in his hands. He was surprised to find out though that what was supposed to be a single piece turned out to be two pieces this time.

“Now this just keeps getting interesting.”

Immediately, he familiarized the first one to be the exact paper he inserted from before. Deciding to read the other sheet first, Jungkook placed aside the familiar paper before retrieving the newer one.

“Memories of you smiling brightly when you first saw me
That makes me smile even now.”

Jungkook snickered at the tacky line before he grabbed his pen for a reply.

“Please, I don’t even know you. Stop being delusional.”

Contented, Jungkook put aside the paper and went on to grab the other one. Gently, he unfurled the wrinkled paper before he began reading its contents.

“Hey, stalker, why don’t you have a cheesy line for me this week? Have you given up in your hopes of pursuing me to like you?”

“Stop calling me your stalker, idiot. Also, stop writing unnecessary replies on my notes. You’re annoying.”

Jungkook stifled a laugh as he continued to read all over again the words on the paper.

“Why should I stop? I’m enjoying this too much. Besides, you can’t tell me what to do. Jeon Jungkook listens to no one but himself.”

 


 

Because I felt happy today, here's an update. I know I said I won't be updating over the weekdays but I just can't help it. Once I start on a story, I always have this urge to finish it as soon as possible. This chapter has not be proofread though so excuse any grammatical or typographical errors. Also, I'm ecstatic to announce that the chapter after this will contain some scenes not suitable for young audiences. Hahaha. Kidding aside. What I meant was next chapter will be kind of entertaining, that's based on my opinion though as I was writing it. Although the continuation of this chapter is ready, I'm still not sure if I should post it tomorrow or if I should do it on Friday night. What do you think?