Chapter 10

Only You

Grrrr…

Yuna heaved a deep sigh as she placed a hand over her stomach to somehow comfort it. At the present, it is lunch break and Yuna was supposed to be at the cafeteria, enjoying and savoring her food but apparently, her best friend thought otherwise and had other plans prepared for them and unfortunately for her, she had none to say to object. So, she had no other option but to endure the pain of an empty stomach.

“Why are we doing this again?” Yuna whispered to the girl beside her who seems too focused on, as she calls it, ‘investigating’.

“You know well enough why we’re here,” Eunha answered without even glancing at Yuna. Instead, she held a stern look on her face as if they were military spies working undercover.

“I’m hungry,” Yuna complained, shaking her best friend’s small frame to somehow wake her up from her act. “Besides, if we were to ‘investigate’ properly, why should we be here?”

“Why not? This place is the perfect hiding spot, Yuju.”

Yuna could only roll her eyes. It was no use trying to convince her best friend to change her mind once she’s already on it. So, instead of arguing further, Yuna decided to shift her position from crouching to completely sitting on the ground with her back leaned against the wall.

“Yeah, we’re totally incognito in this situation,” Yuna sarcastically thought to herself as she looked around to see the passing by students giving them weirded out looks. She sighed and held her head down, a bit embarrassed at their situation.

“Since when was hiding behind a flower pot perfect?”

Eunha finally took the moment to look at her best friend and as she did so, she had a displeased expression shown all over her face. “Do we have a choice? Do you want to hide behind the garbage tin instead?”

“Or we could just not hide at all. I mean, what’s the point of hiding when we’re still clearly visible?”

Eunha pouted and crossed her arms over her chest in a manner she so often does, which Yuna knows by heart that it is not to act cute but it is to warn her that she’s near her limits. Weird but it’s just how her best friend is. She learned because the first time she experienced something like this, she thought Eunha was only doing her aegyo and so she pushed the buttons further. Unfortunately for her, it did not end well. And she does not want to see that side of hell one more time.

Yuna cringed a little at the memory before giving an innocent smile to her best friend while holding up a peace sign. “Just kidding.”

Eunha narrowed her eyes as a cautionary and then went back to ‘investigating’.

“Yo!”

Both girls flinched and turned their head at the startling greeting that came from behind their backs.

“Yugyeom?”

“Hey!”

“W-What brings you here?” Yuna nervously asked while stealing glances at her best friend. Explaining why they’re in such a place would be difficult given that everything is Eunha’s idea and hers alone.

The boy gave a goofy grin as he placed one of his hands inside his pocket. “I could ask the same to you. You’re crouching behind a flower pot.”

“Well…” Yuna played with her fingers as she wrecked her brain for a reasonable excuse.

“Is there even a sensible reason for hiding behind a flower pot at the middle of lunch period?”

“I don’t think it’s part of your business,” Eunha sternly interrupted as she stood up from her crouched position and dusted off dirt from her dress.

Yugyeom held out both his hands and took a step back, a bit intimidated by the shorter girl. “Chill. I was just curious. You don’t have to tell if you don’t want to.”

“You’re right. We don’t. C’mon, Yuju.” With that, Eunha walked away, leaving a puzzled Yuna behind who could only blink in response.

“Geez, your friend’s not to be messed with,” Yugyeom commented while patting Yuna on the shoulder before also leaving.

“Wow! Just wow! I sacrificed lunch only for this to happen. Nice going, Choi Yuna,” Yuna sarcastically thought as she rolled her eyes and grumpily walked to the direction of the cafeteria.

 


The girl stared blankly, unknowing of what to say or how to react to the guy in front of their lunch table.

Jungkook took in a deep calming breath as he tried to control himself from exploding in frustration. “Can’t this girl be any dumber?”

“I’ll ask again. Are. You. Kim. Ji. Ho?”

She blinked once again.

“Aaahhh!” Jungkook threw both his hands to his head and forcefully ruffled his hair. This girl was way beyond vexing. It’s a mystery how she could come up with those lines.

“Uhmmm…” one of Ji Ho’s friends interrupted with a timid voice, quite terrified to cross the line that would probably add fuel to the already infuriated lad before them.

“What?” Jungkook casted a mean look coupled with a raised eyebrow at the girl. “This better be important.”

“Uhmmm...Ji…Ji Ho’s actually…uhmmm…she’s a big fan of yours…that’s why…that’s why she…uhmmm…she can’t think and act properly now. If you need something…you…you could just ask us instead,” she stuttered as she tried to be careful with her words for one wrong thing to say would possibly spell out trouble for her and her friends.

Jungkook rolled his eyes. “I don’t think what I came here for is any of your business.”

The girl lowered her head in embarrassment as those beside her tried to comfort her while Ji Ho was still unable to grasp the reality around her.

“Nevermind.”

“Jungkooooook!”

Jungkook stumbled a bit as a heavy hand wrapped itself around his shoulder. Annoyed further, he turned to see who dared interrupt his plan only to see his hyung’s grinning face.

“Hyung?”

“Yo! What are you doing here? Are you trying to hit on these girls?” Taehyung asked with wiggling eyebrows, teasing the younger boy knowing that it’ll certainly get on his bad side.

Jungkook frowned as he turned both of them so that their backs were facing the girls who could only be astonished over the fact that two of the most popular boys were just mere inches away from them.

“Would you quiet it down? I’m taking action here,” Jungkook whispered to his hyung who still bore the same teasing expression.

“Action? For what?”

“Do you remember when I said that a girl named Kim Ji Ho could be the writer behind those notes?”

Taehyung nodded.

“Well, she’s the one with the ponytail.”

Upon hearing, what Jungkook had to say, the previous grin immediately left Taehyung’s face and was replaced by an unamused look as if communicating “To what extent could his dongsaeng be such an idiot?”

Taehyung swiftly removed his hand from Jungkook’s shoulder before smacking him slightly on the head with it. “Aigoo! You’re an idiot!” And without anything more to say, he started to walk away, leaving the stupid Jungkook to his silly devices.

“What do you mean…Hey, hyung! Wait!” Jungkook called out as he scrambled to catch up with the leaving Taehyung.

 


Grrrr…

Yuna gently massaged her stomach as it notified her once again of how desperate she was to devour food.

“It’s okay dear tummy. You’ll get your fill soon,” she mumbled as she continued to rub a soothing hand over the grumbling area.

“Why did I even put up with Eunha’s crazy plan?”

Yuna lifted her gaze and a huge smile reached her face as she finally caught sight of the cafeteria doors that were just a few feet away from her. With rapid steps, she hurriedly rushed to the said location only to stumble back a little as the double doors unpredictably opened with much force.

A bit shocked, Yuna stood frozen with a hand over her chest to calm her pounding heart.

“Damn. Where did that hyung go?” the newly-exited male muttered as he looked from left to right.

Yuna snapped back to her senses and realized who just caused her to have a mini heart attack. “Oh, it’s you,” she said with a cynical tone.

Jungkook, somewhat shocked at the sudden statement, stared at the owner of the voice. “Ahhh! The aggressive girl from before! Good timing!” He quickly approached Yuna and placed a hand to her shoulder, feeling like they were close friends. “Do you happen to see a guy walking out of the cafeteria just before I did?”

Yuna raised one of her eyebrow and urgently shoved the hand away from her shoulder. “Don’t touch me, jerk.”

“No,” she said with confidence. “I just arrived and I’m in a hurry so if you don’t mind, I’ll be excusing myself.”

Yuna began to leave but was stopped by a strong grip on her wrist.

“No. Just wait a minute. I’m not done yet.”

Yuna rolled her eyes and let out a low sigh. “What is it this time?”

“I have something I want you to do.”

Yuna gradually turned her head to face Jungkook with an incredulous look as she carefully removed his hold on her wrist. “Excuse me?”

“I said I want you to do something for me?”

A light chuckle came out of Yuna’s lips as she fully turned herself around to face the boy once more. “Me? Doing something for you?” Yuna tiptoed as she inched her face closer to Jungkook who stood back a little at the proximity. “Over my dead body.”

Disappointed, Jungkook pushed the girl at a comfortable distance, intentionally leaving his hands to rest on her shoulders. “Look, you’re my best bet.”

“Bet at what?”

Jungkook scanned their surrounding only to see a lot of people already exiting the cafeteria while some are just simply lounging by the hallway.

“Let’s talk somewhere private.”

 


Yugyeom casually walked at the crowded hallway with hands shoved inside his pants’ pockets as he whistled a tune. Currently, he is on his way to grab a little snack from the cafeteria after feeling a bit of hunger.

“Hi, oppa,” a bunch of girls greeted him as he passed by them. He waved a hand to their direction and gave them a beam. Immediately, the group erupted in giggles.

“Girls these days are so predictable and simple-minded.”

He shook his head at the thought as he looked ahead at the already visible cafeteria doors. However, instead of being eager to satisfy himself with the food inside the cafeteria, what caught his interest more was the sight before him.

“Well, look what we have here,” he mumbled to himself as he stopped to observe from afar. A few feet beyond where he was standing was Jungkook in a conversation with none other than the ever-intriguing Choi Yuna.

“What could he be up to now?”

Yugyeom continued to watch the scene with much gusto as he moved aside to lean on one of the walls. “Oh? They’re going somewhere?”

He quickly stood straight back up and ran to see where the two were heading. “Now, this is getting more and more interesting.”

 


“Wait. Where are you taking me? Where are we going?” Yuna inquired as she allowed herself to be pulled along by Jungkook which for her, is quite surprising since she isn’t exactly fond of the guy.

“Well, it’s not bad to give him a chance. He’s lucky I’m in a good mood today.”

“I already told you. We’re going somewhere private,” Jungkook replied, not even casting a glance at his companion.

“You’re not going to do something silly to me, are you?”

Jungkook suddenly came to a halt causing Yuna to stumble a little. He turned himself over to face her with a look she couldn’t quite decipher. “You wish. I’m not even a tad bit interested in you just so you know.”

“Don’t worry. The feeling’s mutual. I just wanted to assure myself that what happened before won’t be repeated.”

“That’s not a problem, babe. I’m never staining my lips with yours ever again,” he mocked before grabbing the girl’s wrist once again to continue walking, not giving Yuna a chance to come up with a retort.

 


“What room is this?” Yuna questioned as she looked around the area. Huge couches stood at the center of the room with a large television displayed on its front. A billiard table as well as a table tennis table was placed at the other corner of the room along with some arcade machines. At the other side was a gigantic fridge and a mini counter. Overall, the room emitted the aura of comfort and relaxation, something that doesn’t quite fit the whole school theme. For Yuna, this room was more of like a lounge area rather than a proper school classroom.

“This just shows how spoiled this brat could be. He even has a private room built for him in this supposed to be educational institution. I mean, what does he think this school is? His home?”

Yuna threw a mean look at the lad who was already making his way toward one of the couches.

“Have a seat,” Jungkook demanded as he made himself comfortable. “I was supposed to offer you a drink but I’m too lazy to get one from the fridge so if you want one, you get one yourself.”

“He’s such a gentleman,” Yuna sarcastically said to herself as she made her way over to where Jungkook was.

“No, thank you. I’m not thirsty nor am I hungry.”

Grrrr…

Yuna swiftly put her hand over her stomach as a blush appeared on her cheeks.

Jungkook let out a short laugh but stopped and raised his hand in defense as soon as he realized that Yuna was glaring daggers at him. “If you say so.”

“Just hurry it up. I don’t want to be late for my next period.”

“More like you still have to pig out.”

Yuna narrowed her eyes even more as she crossed her arms over her chest, preparing to attack anytime soon.

“Woah. Calm down. I’m just joking,” Jungkook upheld as he stood up to walk over to the mini dining area with sluggish steps. “What do you want to eat? We have pizza, chips, chocolate, sandwiches, or if you’re living healthy, there’s also some berries and fruits.”

“I already told you. I’m not hungry,” Yuna insisted as she sat down on the corner of one couch.

“Tell that to your raging stomach.” Jungkook grabbed a bag of chips from one of the counter’s cabinet and an apple, a sandwich, some chocolates and a bottle of orange juice from the fridge before heading back. “I don’t know what you want,” he said as he placed the foods on the table in front of Yuna.

“I said I’m not hungry,” Yuna once again asserted while staring at the inviting food before her, trying to control herself from drooling.

“Yeah but your belly’s contradicting. Now, eat while I tell you my intention.”

“No. I should not give in to the temptation.”

“No, I’m not hungry so just hurry up and say what you want to say so I can leave.”

Grrrr…

“You’re unbelievable.” Jungkook grabbed the sandwich from the table and opened it before walking over to Yuna who had a puzzled look on her face.

“What are you doing?”

No answer came from Jungkook as he continued making his way toward Yuna. Once he was towering over her, he took a deep breath and the moment she opened to say something more, he quickly shoved the sandwich to .

“Now, eat,” he said before walking back to his previous position.

Yuna, with mouth stuffed by the sandwich, casted a nasty look over at Jungkook as she tried to bite off a piece from the sandwich. “The nerve of this guy…”

“Since that’s settled, I shall move on to my purpose of having you here.”

Jungkook plopped himself on the couch and directed his serious gaze at the girl before him who’s evidently busy with munching on her food.

“I need you to spy on your best friend,” he boldly stated without much hesitation making Yuna look up to meet his gaze with a mixed expression of puzzlement and shock.

“Eunha?” she clarified.

“Yes, her.”

“And why should I do that?”

“Because you’re her best friend.”

“Yeah, just the answer I needed.”

“What I meant was why should I keep an eye on my best friend?”

“Oooh, that.” Jungkook nodded his head in understanding before leaning over to closely look at Yuna in the eye. “You see, your best friend is top two in my list of potential suspects and I need you to confirm it for me since the top of the list is clearly out of her mind which caused me to eliminate her and move on to the next one.”

“List? Potential suspect? What crime happened to you?” Yuna challenged, rather skeptical about the explanation.

“Do I have to explain myself further? I already told you what to do. Is it that complicated? You just have to observe your best friend’s actions and report them to me,” Jungkook frustratingly said as he rubbed his temples in annoyance.

Yuna gave him a disbelieving look. “Do you think I’ll obey without even knowing your true intentions? I mean, you’re making me suspect my best friend here over something I don’t even know.”

“Fine. I’m telling you the vital information just because I need your help so I’m assuming you’ll keep it a secret until I confirm that it’s safe to let anyone else know.”

“You’re not making any sense.”

Jungkook heaved a sigh before he stood up and walked over to Yuna’s direction and coming to sit down beside her. “Well, lately, I’ve been having this constant exchange of notes between a person of whom I don’t know the identity yet and because I’m Jeon Jungkook, I could not just stay still and not find out who this person is so I’m on the process of hunting her down. And my efforts led me to come up with this list of the possible people behind the notes.”

“Notes?” Yuna asked. Something in her mind kept nagging, making her feel a little uncomfortable. There’s this idea in her head but she couldn’t fully pinpoint what it was.

“That’s weird.”

“Yes, notes. They’re little pieces of paper with cheesy lines written on them.”

“Cheesy lines?” she questioned once more, the uneasy feeling being more intensified. She feels like he’s going somewhere but she’s not sure where. Her mind’s hazy.

“I don’t know what the messages meant, though. They look like lyrics or I don’t know. They’re like something a hopeless romantic would desperately write on Valentine’s Day,” Jungkook innocently explained, unsure of how to state his point in a comprehensive manner.

“Lyrics?”

Yuna tried to wreck her brain by forcefully thinking what her mind has for her that’s hidden beneath every idea in her head. She exhaled deeply and processed her thoughts properly, trying to piece her thoughts together.

“Something is just not right. I could feel it but I’m not sure what it is.”

“Oh yeah! I have a sample right here with me,” Jungkook elatedly exclaimed as he struggled to retrieve something from the pocket of his jacket. “It’s a good thing I brought this with me today.” Once he got what he needed, he checked to see if it was the right one before immediately handing it over to Yuna. “Here. This is what I was talking about.”

In hesitation, Yuna deliberately casted her gaze toward the handed-out piece of paper before her and what she saw did not only trigger a second mini heart attack but it caused her to stumble back in absolute surprise.

There are times in which Choi Yuna would act stupid and could not have a handle on things well enough to understand the entire situation but this instant is definitely not one of them.

“Oh, .”

 


 

Long time no update! I'm so sorry I just posted this now. I've been so busy with school lately that I did not have the time to update but well, fortunately, here I am now! And oooohhh, this story's almost at its end. I'm quite excited to come up with the ending for this one. I hope you enjoyed this chapter though. Also, please bear with me if I could not update as fast as I could before. :)