Chapter 7

Only You

An explosion of laughter echoed across the four walls of the cafeteria as Yuna lifted her face off its previous position of being planted flat on the floor.

“Serves you right for kissing our Jungkook-oppa, ,” someone remarked from behind.

“Says the one girl who has already kissed twenty boys in a span of three months,” Eunha cut in as she placed herself in between the girl and her best friend before helping the latter back up to her feet. “You okay?” she asked in a whisper, her voice filled with concern.

“Yeah,” Yuna answered as she dusted off whatever dirt from the t-shirt and jeans she was currently wearing.

“Excuse me? I wasn’t talking to you, shorty.”

Feigning to be hurt, Eunha placed a hand over her chest and coupled it with a supposedly shocked expression. Just as she was about to throw in her comeback though, Yuna prevented her from doing so by gently pushing her aside as she took a step forward to meet the little .

“Says the girl who wears 6-inch high heels just to elevate her miniature legs.”

It was the girl’s turn to be taken aback, only this time, it wasn’t pretend. “And who do you think you are to say such things to our Solbin?” her sidekick intervened, trying to comfort her ‘friend’ by rubbing her back in a slow circular motion while whispering whatever incoherent words she could think of.

“Me? Well, I just happened to be the girl who kissed your oppa and you know what? He kissed way better than I thought. It made me want to do it all over again which he probably won’t mind considering that he chose me out of all of you,” Yuna proudly retorted with a wicked smile graced on her lips.

At the moment those words came out of her, almost the entire population of the cafeteria gasped as the others cheered her on while some simply let out ‘ooohs’. Although what she said was entirely against her will and she, no doubt, would regret later, she couldn’t deny the fact that it gave her a boost of confidence.

“Like a would back down from a challenge…I’d rather brush my teeth a million times after this than lose to this insecure fangirls.”

“How dare you!” the Solbin girl shrieked in a pitch Yuna was sure could shatter all the glass windows present within the perimeter as she came charging toward her and even before she could react, she was already tackled to the ground.

She wasn’t sure if fighting back was her best option. “No matter what, I’ll still end up in detention anyway. So, damn this,” she thought before she began to also grab on the other girl’s hair, tugging it forcefully.

“Aaah!” Solbin shouted as she felt her head almost being removed from her body at the force of the pull Yuna was inserting.

“Hey, !” the sidekick yelled as she, too, decided to join in on the fight to assist her ‘friend’.

“Oh no, you don’t!” Eunha immediately blocked the rushing girl with an attack of her own causing them to fall in a wild fight as well.

 


 

At the scene, Jungkook and his hyungs stood up from their seat to witness what was happening a few tables away from them.

“Shouldn’t you help?” Taehyung asked Jungkook in worry over the girls brawling on the floor of the school’s cafeteria as he scanned the room seeing a lot have already took out their phones to capture photos and even record the entire scenario.

“Why should I? It’s not my problem to deal with,” the younger replied as he watched the fight with a grin, evidently amused at what was going on.

“Your actions this morning are what caused this. You should take responsibility.” Namjoon commented in a stern voice, looking up to gaze at the maknae as the others remained silent, afraid to intervene.

For a while, Jungkook returned Namjoon’s solemn stare in a heated fight for pride before giving up to the older guy with a sigh, finally accepting his hyung’s opinion of him being at fault. “Fine.”

Jungkook grudgingly pushed back his chair before he started making his way over to the fight. As he passed by tables one by one, the people’s eyes darted off to him and whispers began.

“Such nosy personalities…but what can I say? I’m popular,” Jungkook had in mind, eliciting a barely noticeable smile to emerge from his lips.

“Oy!” he called out as he entered the scene in almost like a grand entrance with the people surrounding the fight instantly giving way for him to pass. Much to his dismay, he was left ignored as the girls remained at each other’s claws.

“This just gives me another reason to despise girls.”

Irritated, Jungkook decided to draw nearer to the brawl.

“King Jungkook, stop! You might get hurt!” one random boy shouted from the crowd as a warning in which Jungkook only replied with a glare as if saying “Mind your own business”. Ashamed of being told off by the so-called “King”, the boy hid behind his friend’s back and no one else dared to say anything else.

Jungkook returned his attention back at the scene once again after the interruption. He came closer to where Yuna was and in one swift motion, with his well-built arm, he yanked the girl off her opponent’s reach and held her closer to him to prevent further attacks.

All over again, the people inside the cafeteria gasped which caused Jungkook to roll his eyes. “These people should really get a life.”

He eyed the girl by his side who was panting hard, trying to catch her breath after the encounter she had with the other girl who, by now, is standing a meter away, glaring at them. After the first fight died down, the other also stopped as they, too, turned to look at Jungkook. A moment of utter silence passed as if no one else knew what to say until Jungkook broke it by saying to Yuna, “You’re quite a trouble, aren’t you?” before he proceeded to make his way out of the cafeteria while dragging her with him. Inexplicably, she allowed herself to be pulled as her mind was still not over the little clash she had. She was still stuck on the idea of ripping all of the girl’s hair until she goes bald.

As soon as they reached a location out of earshot, Jungkook let go of his grip on Yuna’s wrist while looking around, checking to see if no one followed. Once he was assured that they were alone, he heaved a deep sigh as he went to sit on one of the benches of the little garden of which they were currently at. He ruffled his hair and rested his arms on his thighs before looking up to meet the gaze of his companion.

“You do know the teachers will eventually hear about it, right?”

Yuna rolled her eyes and averted her gaze from his while crossing her arms over her chest as an act of stubbornness that indicates she wasn’t going to hear out whatever he was going to say.

“You’ll get detention then or probably something worse like community service,” he added, obscurely giving away his annoyance at Yuna who was pretending not to hear. He swore this girl really liked to test his patience. “You wouldn’t want that now, do you?”

Still, no answer came.

Jungkook took in a deep breath as he strove to maintain his composure. If only Namjoon hadn’t knocked a bit of sense into him, he would have never been here, trying to deal with such a troublesome girl.

“Aren’t you going to answer me? Have you gone mute or something?”

Again, he was met with silence.

Jungkook rubbed his temples in frustration before he stood up and walked over to Yuna who was still fixed on ignoring him.

“Look at me,” he commanded but even so, he got no response.

“Will you look at me or do I have to go to drastic measures again? Gosh, you’re so stubborn. I don’t know what more should I do with you.”

Once more, she paid no heed to him and his petty threat.

Jungkook ran his fingers through his hair with a sigh and made his way back to the bench before plopping down on it.

“You are one complicated woman. Do you know that?”

Yuna, without listening, made a decision to walk away.

“Oy! Where do you think are you going?!” Jungkook called out as he raised from his seat, preparing to chase after her.

“It’s none of your business,” she finally responded.

“Oh, so, now you’re talking to me?” he asked, irritated, as he caught up with Yuna who continued to walk like his presence wasn’t even there.

“Didn’t you want me to talk just a minute ago? And now you’re complaining that I’m talking? Make up your mind,” she replied, not even bothering to look at him as she stared straight ahead.

“What I meant was I wanted to talk with you about what happened. Isn’t obvious? I’m trying to help you here.”

Upon his words, Yuna came to an abrupt stop that made Jungkook lightly collide with her as he was unable to halt right away. “What now?”

Yuna, with an expression that he quite couldn’t describe properly etched on her face, looked at him, pointed her index finger to his chest, and said, “You? Helping me after this morning? Has the world gone crazy or what? Don’t mess with me, jerk.”

If he could have slapped himself in the face, he would have done so. It’s only that doing so would probably annoy her all the more and he wouldn’t want that. Or does he?

“If only I’m defiant enough to ignore Namjoon-hyung’s orders, I would have never been here.”

Carefully, Jungkook removed her hand from his chest before taking a deep breath, mentally preparing his self to explain in a way that the girl would understand his side.

“Look, I admit what happened at the cafeteria was partly my fault because of what I did to you this morning. So, I’m doing this because I respect my hyung’s judgment that I should find a solution to it and not because I’m concerned about you or what.”

Yuna raised an eyebrow at him as she processed what he just said. “You? Admitting a mistake? Now, I just confirmed that the world has indeed gone crazy.”

“I’m serious here,” he stated with a deadpan face.

“So am I,” she replied to try and mock him.

“Oh, damn this!” he frustratingly cried out before he grabbed Yuna, who, as of the moment, was smiling at her victory over him, and tugged her along with him toward the bench. “Sit and let’s talk…earnestly.”

Rolling her eyes, Yuna decided to hear out the boy as she sat down on the one end of the bench.

“Finally…” Jungkook mumbled as he, too, sat down on the other side of the bench, giving the girl some space.

“Okay, so what do you want to talk about, Mr. Jeon Jungkook?” she asked in sheer impishness.

Jungkook narrowed his eyes at her, warning her. “I’m trying my best here and all you do is play with me?”

Yuna snickered at his statement. “Trying your best at what? Wasting my time? Don’t worry. You’re doing great.”

Taking a profound breath, Jungkook calmed his self before replying, “I’m trying to apologize. Keyword? Trying because it’s so difficult to do so with you being so annoying.”

“Apologize? I didn’t know that was even in your dictionary.”

“Could you just stop it with all these sarcasms for a minute and just listen?”

“Fine. Let me hear you try. I doubt you’d even say it correctly.”

Grabbing the opportunity to talk properly this time as Yuna went quiet, Jungkook settled down his nerves as he gathered his thoughts to make up the perfect apology that would prove her wrong.

“Okay, you, Jeon Jungkook, are one perfect guy. Saying a simple sorry should just be a piece of cake.”

After heaving another sigh, he opened his mouth to begin but nothing came out. In an instant, his mind went totally blank.

Amused, Yuna chuckled a little as she raised her eyebrow, prodding him to go on but again, nothing would come out. It’s like at the very moment he’s going to say something his mouth just wouldn’t cooperate.

“Well?” she asked in a teasing tone over at Jungkook who somehow seemed flustered at his incapability. “Aren’t you supposed to say something?”

“I’m sorry,” he muttered inaudibly under his breath as he looked away, embarrassed after mustering up the courage to say the words.

“What was that?” she further teased the boy as she enjoyed his suffering far too much especially after knowing this other side of him- the side she thought never existed in Jeon Jungkook, the ever-obnoxious brat of the school. “I didn’t quite hear you. Could you say it again?”

“I’m sorry,” he repeated while still avoiding eye contact, only this time, being a bit louder and clearer.

However, Yuna was in no way going to let him off the hook just like that. For her, this was too entertaining. “Pardon?”

Snapping, Jungkook glared at the girl, evidently irritated. “I said I’m sorry! There! Now, would you please stop being so damn annoying?!”

Yuna, contented at the result of her efforts of trying to push the nerves of the boy, giggled before nodding her head in approval. “Okay. Fine. Since I’m such a forgiving person, I’ll accept your apology even if it wasn’t even a proper one.” With that, she stood up, fixed her shirt, and walked away, leaving a staggered Jungkook by himself.

 


 

“Are you sure you don’t want to escape?” Eunha inquired as she walked with her friend to detention room while munching on a chocolate bar.

“You want us to run away and get ourselves into more trouble? Seriously? Detention’s already bad enough. It’s a good thing we weren’t even placed in community service unlike those es.” Yuna replied as she, too, took a huge bite of chocolate, their go-to food whenever they were stressed out.

“Good point.”

When they reached the room, they resentfully entered before greeting the assigned teacher, who was already waiting for them and the others to come, with a bow as they made their way to the empty seats, Yuna choosing her beloved seat in their History class.

“Good afternoon, ladies,” the teacher greeted as she approached Yuna and Eunha’s table, handing out sheets of paper over to them. “Today, you’ll be assigned to check these test papers. Please do so accurately and if ever you have any questions regarding the answer key, feel free to ask me.”

As soon as the teacher returned to the front, Eunha, who was seated behind Yuna, leaned over her desk to whisper. “She’s just too lazy to even bother and check these herself.”

“Absolutely. She’s taking advantage of this detention session.”

“Uh-huh.”

Yuna eyed the papers in her hand as she debated on whether to heed the orders or not.

“I don’t really have a choice but before I begin…”

She gently placed the bundle of sheets on the desk as she focused her attention on the little hole at the corner.

“I wonder if I already got a reply…Wait. Why am I even thinking that? It’s not like I’m anticipating the exasperating replies I got every week. Or am I?”

Yuna shook her head to shake away the disturbing thoughts before she reached out her hand to pull out the piece of paper she knew was there hidden inside the hole.

“I’m just going to check,” she argued to herself.

Once she successfully removed the paper, she carefully opened it and read.

“Memories of you smiling brightly when you first saw me
That makes me smile even now.”

“Please, I don’t even know you. Stop being delusional.”

“P.S. I’m not annoying, stalker :P ”

As weird as it may sound though, Yuna didn’t even feel a bit of anger as she read on. Instead, she felt quite happy and satisfied after having to see the conceited reply of the person she was having secret exchanges with. It may be because out of everything that happened to her today, this was the only thing that made her day seem significant not counting the event of her first kiss.

She shook her head as she chuckled a bit over the reply before discarding it by placing it inside her pocket. She was about to write another note before she realized that she didn’t have any paper with her except the ones on the stack before her. So, with caution, Yuna grabbed a random one from the middle before examining its contents only to become aware of the name written on it- Jeon Jungkook.

“Now, this is interesting. He wouldn’t mind it if I tore a piece, would he?”

Shrugging, Yuna ripped a little piece from the paper in her hands without even a hint of remorse in her mind. She, then, grabbed the pen from her bag before writing another line that would constitute her future song.

“Hug me so I can lean on you.”

 


 

For those who are looking forward to an explanation or a backstory about how Jungkook came to be like that, I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm not one to write those kind of stuff. This story was meant for fun and something deep or way too serious would probably destroy the tone of the entire plot. :) I thank you all for those who gave their suggestions. I'm sorry if I can't use all of them but I'll try to do so in the future chapters or stories if it's possible.

 

Thank you so much Ssarah060Passion4LifeMagic_blue, and -haruman for the recommendations.