Chapter 4

Only You

“YOU?!” both screamed in perfect unison the moment their gazes met.

Being the quick one to recover from the shock, Jungkook held his chin up high and crossed his arms over his chest after placing the emptied water bottle over the next table. “Yes, it’s me. You got a problem?”

Also, snapping out of her surprised state of mind, Yuna examined her drenched form once more before looking back up to glare at the boy who obviously isn’t even a bit guilty about what crime he has done. “Problem? Do I have a problem? Oh, I don’t know.” As calmly as she could, she stood up and slammed both her palms on the desk, flinching a little.

“Ouch. I mean-”

“You’re the problem! You literally poured water over me!”

“Well, it’s not my problem you’re in my seat.”

“Your seat? Since when did you own-” Yuna started to defend her side but soon came to a halt when she realized where she was going with her words. “Damn son of the school’s owner…”

Jungkook who seemed amused at the scene, raised an eyebrow and threw a playful grin as if challenging her to go on. “Since when did I own what exactly?”

“The nerve of this kid…” Yuna could only glare as she already tried to deny the fact that he was winning over her. “So full of himself just because his family owns this school…” With nothing more to say, Yuna used all the remaining dignity in her as she grabbed her bag from the side of the table before storming out of the room.

 


 

Jungkook, proud of his victory over the little game of pride, let out a soft chuckle to himself before walking over to his ‘owned’ seat, dismissing in mind the eyes of the people who just witnessed the scene.

“Show’s over people,” he stated while making himself comfortable.

“Finally…” he whispered in his mind as he pulled his chair closer to the desk and with tensed hands, he reached out for the small hole at the corner of the wooden surface. “What’s this?”

Quite not sure of the situation, Jungkook leaned over the desk as he struggled to take a peek at the tiny hole. “Nothing?”

He continued to check the hole in hopes of pulling out a piece of paper only failing to do so.

“How come?”

He stared up at the ceiling and thought of possible reasons as to why the weekly note was not placed in its usual hiding place today. Thinking deeply, he started to enumerate the likely excuses.

“Maybe she was absent. Maybe she was sick. Maybe her pen ran out of ink. Maybe she sat at another seat. Maybe…Wait…Wait a minute.”

As it dawned on him, Jungkook straightened his back and hit the desk with his fist. “That’s it! She hadn’t got the chance to place the note because maybe that stupid woman from before got to this table before her,” he explained to himself.

“Yes, that’s definitely it.” Nodding in approval of his made-up rationalization, Jungkook smiled proudly while leaning back on his seat at the exact moment the teacher assigned to watch over the detention period came through the door. “Jeon Jungkook, you are so clever.”

“Okay, brats who have nothing else to do in their lives but cause troubles, you’ll be writing a 500-word essay for today,” the teacher called out earning him a mixture or whines and complaints coming from the entire population of the room. Well, all except Jungkook, that is, who was still caught up with himself.

“But, wouldn’t I be cleverer if I find out who’s behind the notes?”

Nodding to himself once more, Jungkook smiled in content. “Yeah, that’s it,” he uttered mentally before reaching out for the pen he had in his pocket.

 


 

Yuna slammed her locker shut with a loud bang, venting out all her anger on the cabinet.

“Stupid jerk…” She balled her hands into a fist as she held on tightly to the towel in her hands. “Just because he’s hailed king of this school doesn’t mean he can do whatever he wants,” she complained to no one as she wiped herself with the towel in attempt to dry out her soaked form.

“There you are! I’ve been looking all over for…What happened?” Just in time, Eunha arrived with a big smile before coming over to see her best friend drenched and clearly outraged.

“Some stupid good-for-nothing jerk decided to spill out water all over me,” Yuna explained, finally giving up with the towel and shoving it back into her locker with another slam.

Eunha winced as the locker door shut before she walked closer over to her best friend with a concerned look. “Jeon Jungkook?”

Yuna looked at her best friend and raised her eyebrow. That expression alone was enough to confirm the other girl’s suspicion and so she just nodded while removing Yuna’s hands from the locker door. “C’mon, I have an extra shirt. You should change or else you’ll get sick.”

Yuna gave a small smile at the news before nodding and muttering, “Thanks.”

 


 

Finally finishing the required essay presumably, Jungkook stood up from his seat and strode over to the teacher’s table at the front of the room. Once he got to his destination, he lazily handed over the piece of paper where his work was written.

The teacher reached out and receive the sheet before Jungkook immediately turned around and started to walk away. Mr. Park examined the paper in his hands only to grimace after looking at its contents.

“Oi! This isn’t what I required! I told you to write an essay not submit a copy of your doodles!” he irritably demanded but was only given a chuckle by the male at fault as a reply.

“You can’t kick me out of this school, anyway. So, you might as well shut your mouth, old man,” Jungkook, who was already by the door, declared before walking out leaving Mr. Park to cry out in fury.

“You’re crazy.”

Hearing the recognizable voice, Jungkook snorted and turned to see one of his close friends outside their little ‘Bangtan’ group, with his back leaned against the wall.

“Mr. Park will obviously be ranting and complaining nonstop about you inside the faculty office tomorrow.”

“That’s if you don’t cause trouble early in the morning tomorrow,” Jungkook said as a matter of fact at his friend who, for almost every day, gets himself into some sort problem.

It was the other’s turn to snort. “Kim Yugyeom never gets himself in trouble. He just causes one.”

Jungkook laughed before hitting his friend’s arm lightly. “That’s because you always have me to back you up.”

“Exactly.” Yugyeom gave two thumbs up and a beam over to his friend who only shook his head. “Anyway, Bambam and the others are coming over to my place tonight. You free?”

Jungkook considered the offer for a moment before shrugging. “Yeah. I’ve got nothing else to do. In addition, I also need to ask you a favor,” he said as a smirk formed at the corner of his lips.

Mimicking his friend’s smirk, Yugyeom bobbed his head. “You know you can always ask me anything.”

“Perfect.”

 


 

Yuna came out of the bathroom cubicle now wearing a perfectly dry shirt which she borrowed from her best friend. “It’s a good thing I had Eunha with me,” she thought as she examined herself in the mirror, fixing the creases of the once folded up shirt.

“Are you really going to do it?” a girl beside Yuna asked causing the latter to look over at the other’s direction with a questioning look as if asking “Are you talking to me?”.

“Han La, are you really going to do it?” the girl repeated, now mentioning the name of the one she’s conversing with.

Yuna quietly muttered, “Oh” as she returned her gaze back to the mirror, her face showing a hint of red from the embarrassing situation.

“Why not? I already have everything planned out,” someone from one of the cubicles answered.

“You know he just turned down another girl this morning, right?” Intrigued at the statement, Yuna decided to poke her nose in on the conversation for a bit more. “Are they talking about Jeon Jungkook?”

“So? That girl was ugly anyway. It was obvious from the start that she would get humiliated after confessing to him,” the other replied once more only now, she emerged from the cubicle, fixing her hair.

Yuna, smart enough not to turn around, continued to stare at the mirror, relying on the reflective surface for information. “Well, she’s certainly pretty,” she thought as she examined the reflection of the recent girl while acting as if she’s fixing her hair in hopes of not getting caught eavesdropping. “But if who she’s planning to confess to is really Jeon Jungkook, then, I’d doubt she’ll even come out successful. That guy’s evidently gay.”

Amused at her thoughts, Yuna let out a short laughter causing the other two girls to look at her weirdly. When she realized her mistake, she quickly cleared and excused herself from the scene with a bow before directly walking out of the bathroom.

“What took you so long?” Eunha inquired as she walked over to her friend while handing over her bag.

Yuna accepted her backpack and slung it over one of her shoulders before dragging Eunha by the arm. “I was eavesdropping on a conversation,” she whispered, looking back to see if the two girls have already come out of the bathroom.

“Whose conversation?” Eunha whispered back in perfect accord with her best friend’s actions.

“Someone called Han La and her friend who I don’t know the name of.”

“Han La?!”

Yuna rapdly covered her best friend’s lips before turning to look around whether someone heard or not. Upon seeing that only the two of them were in the hallway, she let go and let out a deep exhale of ease. “Lower down your voice. Someone might hear,” she instructed.

Eunha nodded and made a zipping motion on her lips, promising to keep quiet. “Han La?” she repeated in a faint voice.

“Yes. Do you know her?”

“You don’t? She’s quite popular here in school especially in her batch.”

“What batch?” Yuna asked now in a normal volume as they finally took a left turn toward the stairway.

“She’s on the same year level as SinB and Umji. A lot of boys are said to be crushing on her.”

“Well, she is pretty.”

“What about her?” Eunha asked while looking carefully at her steps.

“Her friend was asking if she was really going to do ‘it’.”

“It?” Eunha stopped on her track,obviously taken aback, and looked over at Yuna. In her green thoughts, the ‘it’ meant something quite lewd.

“I think she was planning on confessing,” Yuna clarified before walking over to Eunha and inching close to her right ear. “To Jeon Jungkook…” she continued in a whisper.

Eunha, now with clean thoughts, covered in shock of the latest information while Yuna, on the other hand, stood proudly with hands crossed over her chest. She knew her best friend would want to know such hearsay. Heck, the girl had a for gossip.

“Did you know what time and where?” Eunha excitedly asked as she constantly shook her best friend’s figure, unable to contain herself.

Yuna held her best friend by the shoulders and distanced her from herself. “Geez, calm down. I didn’t stay long enough to find out anything else besides the one I just told you.”

A bit disappointed, Eunha pouted. “You should’ve eavesdrop longer.”

Yuna chuckled, patting Eunha on the back. “You’re going to find out all the details in a flash tomorrow anyway.”

Comprehending her best friend’s statement, Eunha nodded as they both started to continue walking. “Good point.”

 


 

“Did you hear?”

“Yeah, she got turned down even before she got to say anything else.”

“I’m pretty sure she’s humiliated by now.”

“If I were her, I would probably not show my face for a month.”

“I expected him to accept her confession.”

“She was pretty. How come he rejected her?”

“You know well enough that Jeon Jungkook is impenetrable. That guy has a stone for a heart.”

“Exactly. He didn’t even throw her another glance after he said those mean words.”

 Yuna sighed as she passed by the hallway to her Homeroom class. She knew exactly what these gossip-thirsty girls were talking about. “Poor girl,” she sympathized as she shook her head in disbelief of how almost the entire population of the school was talking about the humiliation of one helpless girl.

“Yuju!” a voice called from afar in which Yuna already know who it belongs to and what she was going to say even without looking.

“I heard,” Yuna immediately said as soon as she reached the door of their Homeroom class.

“How?”

Yuna rolled her eyes as she pointed at the direction of the people talking in the hallway. “It’s basically what everyone here is gossiping about. I mean, can people here just get a life?” she exclaimed, frustrated over the fact that everyone was adding torment to the already tormented girl. “What was her name again? Han La?”

After venting out her inner thoughts, Yuna excused herself and went inside the room leaving Eunha dumbfounded for she is, in fact, one of the ‘people’ her best friend just mentioned.

Quite not focused on where she was going, Yuna made her way over to her seat only to bump at someone causing her to stumble back. Fortunately, an arm made its way to her back to prevent her from the fall.

“Sorry. Are you okay?”

Regaining back her composure, Yuna stood back up and met the concerned gaze of the person she just knocked into. It turned out to be one of their male classmates whom she was familiar with but don’t remember the name. She wasn’t good with associating names with faces anyway and furthermore, she’s not exactly interested in her classmates to even bother recognizing who they were.

“Excuse me. Are you okay?”

Yuna shook her head to snap herself out of her musing. “Huh?”

“Are you okay? I’m sorry. I wasn’t looking at where I was going.”

“Oh, yeah. I’m fine. It’s also partly my fault. I wasn’t also looking ahead.”

The male nodded in content at the fact that she was unhurt. “Choi Yuna, right?”

“Huh?” she asked with a baffled look.

He let out a short laughter as a response to her amusing expression before clearing out his words, “You’re Choi Yuna, right?”

“Ah, yeah and you’re…” Wrecking her brain, Yuna tried desperately to recall the name of the specific boy. “Mingyu? No, he’s the one in my Statistics class. Dokyeom? No, he’s that guy from my Music class. Eunwoo? No, he’s the guy who had this crush on Eunha. Damn, I can’t remember.”

“Yugyeom…Kim Yugyeom,” he continued her statement seeing that she looked stressed over the fact that she probably couldn’t remember his name at all.

“Right! Kim Yugyeom. Yeah, I remember you.” She forced a laugh.

The boy chuckled in delight of the circumstance before coming to pat Yuna on the shoulder. “Sure, you do. Anyway, I still need to see someone. It was nice meeting you, Yuna.”

Yuna nodded and muttered a soft, “Likewise.” which earned her an attractive smile from the male.

“See you!”

“Yeah,” she replied as she waved him goodbye with a timid hand.

“How come I just noticed him now? He’s certainly something. It’s rare nowadays for a boy to be as sweet as him. Wait. What am I even thinking?! No. Erase…Erase those thoughts, Choi Yuna.”

With that, Yuna went to her seat with a huge and unnoticed smile plastered on her lips.

 


 

Ta-da! Another chapter for you, guys. Also, I introduced a new character! :) Enjoy reading this part and please do understand that I may or may not update over the weekdays for I'll be focusing on my studies with our exams almost coming up but I can assure you of another chapter by weekend. Thank you! :)