Chapter 2

Only You

“Just one, it’s only you for me.”

“Eew. Now you’re just creeping me out, stalker.”

 

Yuna gritted her teeth to stop herself from crying out in rage as she clenched tightly the fist that was not holding the piece of paper. She swore that if not for her written line, she would have crumpled the paper already. Heck, she would have even shredded it to pieces, burned it into the flames, and sent it into space.

“If I ever find out who you are, I’ll make sure you won’t live another day in this world,” Yuna cursed while folding the paper and tucking it in between the pages of her notebook with an evil smile adorning her lips.

“Stop smiling like that. You look like you’re plotting a murder or something,” Eunha commented as she came over to her best friend’s table, dragging an empty seat for her to sit on.

“Oh, I might just kill someone.”

“Hmmm…” Eunha nodded in agreement like she completely understood what the other was saying. “And I might just support you.”

Yuna threw a questioning look over at Eunha, unbelieving that the known to be timid girl could say such a thing. “Are you okay?”

“I could ask you the same thing. You don’t look okay yourself.”

“I’m fine,” Yuna lied.

Although Eunha knew exactly that her friend wasn’t telling her the truth, she decided not to meddle any longer, thinking that if her best friend wanted her to know what’s bothering her then she would. Eunha just had to wait for her to find the right time to tell her if she ever will, that is.

“Suit yourself. Anyway, did you hear about the latest issue in school?”

Yuna could only roll her eyes. Eunha is at it again with her so-called ‘updates.’ Honestly, if she didn’t know Eunha for a long time now, she could have easily mistaken her for a gossip queen. The girl could catch news as swiftly as a blink of an eye. “What is it this time?”

Eager to share the information she received from no one knows where, Eunha shifted in her seat to correct her position before she leaned over the desk that separated her from Yuna. “Guess what? Another freshman just got humiliated this morning.”

Yuna raised an eyebrow at her friend’s statement. “So?”

“I’m not done yet!” Eunha defended.

Rolling her eyes once more, Yuna crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned back. “Okay. Go on.”

“Where was I? Oh, yeah. So, this girl, a freshman from Class 1-B, confessed with all the effort, chocolates and all. Unfortunately, she was turned down in the cruelest way.”

“Cruelest? How can you say it’s the cruelest way of being turned down?”

Eunha leaned over the desk even more, comprehending that her friend was gradually getting interested in her story. “Yes, cruelest. Come to think of it, he accepted her box of chocolates only to throw it in the nearest garbage tin while she’s still there, in front of him. He also ripped to pieces the letter she wrote for him. But you know what? What’s worse is that he actually said ‘it’.”

“It?”

“The taboo.”

Yuna straightened her back and looked at her friend directly. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Eunha grabbed a fistful of her short brown hair, showing her frustration upon hearing how clueless her best friend was. “You’re ugly! He told her ‘You’re ugly’! That’s essentially taboo for a girl. One should never tell a girl that she’s ugly!”

“Oooh,” Yuna exclaimed as if completely understood the whole thing, making Eunha beam in delight only to have her hopes up for nothing. “So?”

Eunha grunted back in annoyance before she grabbed Yuna’s face in both her hands, squishing her cheeks. “It’s Jeon Jungkook- the Jeon Jungkook. Once again, Mr. Perfect rejected a confession and what’s more is that now, he’s become more and more heartless in his way of declining.”

“So?”

Abruptly, Eunha, dumbfounded at her friend’s level of disinterest regarding such a controversial issue, stood up and slammed her hands on the table, earning the stares of some of their classmates. Although once she realized that she attracted unwanted attention, she sat back down and struggled to regain her composure. “As I was saying, it’s Jeon Jungkook who once again made a girl cry publicly.”

A sigh escaped Yuna’s mouth before she leaned over the table this time, holding eye contact with her best friend who seems troubled at a problem that she isn’t even involved in. “You know, that matter is clearly not our business to deal with. Let’s just leave them the hell alone. The girl obviously is suffering enough. She doesn’t need more mouths talking about her humiliating experience. As for Jeon Jungkook, why can’t people just let him be? Maybe the guy just doesn’t like to date or maybe he’s just gay or something.”

“He’s not gay. He-”

“Whatever. What I’m saying is ‘Did you get my point, Jung Eunbi?’”

Eunha could only pout in response because even though how much she hates to admit it, her best friend was right.

“That’s a good girl,” Yuna commented as she inched closer to ruffle the top of Eunha hair like a child praised for doing something good in class.

Ashamed, Eunha slapped Yuna’s hand away from her head and frowned. “I hate it when you’re right.”

“I know,” Yuna coincided with what she heard as she threw a playful smile over to Eunha who deepened her frown as she glared at her best friend.

 


 

“You’re the one who shines on me.”

“Indeed, I shine. I’m dazzling. You don’t have to tell me.”

 

Inhaling as hard as she could, Yuna mentally calmed herself as she felt the huge urge to throw a fit. This person, whoever it is, is trying to itch every nerve in her body. For the third time, he or she just had to ruin everything. Of course, Yuna could have just stopped inserting her little lines inside the damned hole but considering the situation, it’s not about the privacy and the effort to hopefully drive away the annoying brat any more. It’s now a battle of pride- of who can put up with the exchange longer. And losing, that’s never in Choi Yuna’s vocabulary. If it’s war the little monster wants, then it’s war she shall give.

 


 

“Mr. Jeon, did you just hear what I said?”

Jungkook lazily looked up from his position of having his head rested on the desk as their Mathematics professor slammed his enormous hands on his table as an effort to grab his attention.

Responding, Jungkook raised one of his eyebrow causing Mr. Kim, their current teacher, to glare daggers at him.

“Just because you’re famous here in school or because your family owns the institution doesn’t mean you get to loaf around. You’re still basically under my class, Mr. Jeon. It’s about time you learn to give some respect.”

Jungkook only snickered as if what he just received wasn’t important and proceeded to stare outside from the windown beside his seat.

“What was that?! Did you just mock me? Oh, you’re really asking for it…Detention, after school!” Jungkook imitated accurately in an exaggerated voice as he continued to stare outside with his chin rested on his hands. By now, he practically memorized the exact same line he always receives during his Mathematics class every week. He can’t help it though. Numbers never interested him and to top it all off, his professor just had to be so damn annoying.

“Detention’s way more fun than this kind of hell,” Jungkook thought as his mind wandered off to the certain seat reserved for him during every detention time on a Wednesday.

 


 

“I’ll pray that we can be together for always.”

“Don’t pray too much, babe. Disappointment hurts.”

 

Jungkook chuckled to himself as he amusingly stared at what he just wrote. Now, he’s just a hundred percent sure he’s exchanging lines with a girl. Well, obviously, no guy could write such cheesy romantic lines like the ones he replied to. Whoever this mysterious girl may be, she surely caught his attention. And that is something unlikely to happen seeing that he, the ever-popular Jeon Jungkook has never been fascinated with girls. He reckons the opposite as clingy and shouldn’t be given that much attention.

“Fighting for your pride, eh? Well, Jeon Jungkook happens to just have a ton of pride in him as well.”

A smirk creeped up Jungkook’s lips as he rolled the piece of paper and returned it to the hole where it was previously hidden.

 


 

Yuna’s eye twitched in annoyance as she read the reply written on her note. “Damn you.”

“Damn who?” Eunha asked as she approached Yuna from behind. They were currently in the room of their History class, waiting for another hour and a half of uninteresting lectures.

“Nothing. It’s nothing,” Yuna frantically replied as she swiftly inserted the paper in her pocket.

Eunha threw a questioning look but opted to shrug it off. “Whatever. Anyway, Mr. Lee won’t be seeing us today.”

“What?! Really?!” Yuna’s eyes sparkled in delight upon hearing that she doesn’t have to endure almost two hours of History class for today.

“Yeah. He informed Jihyo about an hour ago. He said he had some important matters to deal with.”

“That’s good news then. Did he leave some activities for us, though?”

“Nope. The important matters must have been pleasant.”

Yuna grinned from ear to ear as she listened to her best friend’s every word. Hearing them were like music to her ears. “I must have done something good to please the heavens.”

“So, since we’re free, I made plans with the others. Sowon-unnie said she was treating us for some ice cream later.”

Catching the words ‘treat’ and ‘ice cream,’ Yuna’s ears perked up straight away as she snapped out of her short reverie. “What was that? Sowon-unnie’s treating us ice cream?”

Eunha nodded as she, too, cheerfully clapped in excitement. “I’m craving for some chocolate ice cream! C’mon, she said to meet her at the gate,” Eunha said, grabbing Yuna’s wrist.

“Wait!”

“Huh?”

Remembering that she still needed to write down another line for this week, Yuna removed her best friend’s grip on her wrist as she sat back down on her seat. “You go on ahead. I’ll follow later. I just need to write something down.”

Eunha gave an inquisitive look toward her best friend as she tried to determine what it was that Yuna needed to jot down. Did they have homework due today? “Homework?”

“Huh?”

“Do we have homework due today?”

“Oh, no. It’s not homework. It’s…uhmm…” Yuna fiddled with her fingers as she thought of a way on how to explain things to Eunha without raising her suspicion. “It’s uhmm…diary! Yeah, a diary entry. I still have to write in my diary.”

“Diary? Aren’t you supposed to write that at home? Like, at night before going to bed?”

“No. I always write my entries during History class. You know, to kill time. It just happened to become my habit now.” Yuna faked a laugh as she strove to make her excuse believable.

“Okaaaay,” Eunha replied with a wary look as she looked at her best friend intently who gave her a forced smile in return. “I’ll be going then.”

“See you!” Yuna exclaimed as she waved goodbye to her best friend.

The moment she was sure Eunha was no longer around, Yuna immediately opened her notebook and tore a small piece from a clean page before taking out her pen from her bag.

 

“You are my star.”

 

Contented after having to write down her line for the week, Yuna carefully rolled the small sheet in her palms before placing it inside the familiar hole, being careful not to crumple the paper.

“Don’t think I’m backing down from this challenge, little brat.”

 


 

Okay, I decided to officially make this a not-so-long multichaptered story. It's called 'not-so-long' because I'm not entirely good with making super lengthy and super complex plots. I'm more into oneshots but considering that the plot of this story isn't entirely compatible with being a oneshot, I decided to add more chapters. I hope you liked it.