Seven

The Girl Called She
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol dragged his feet as he followed Jennie to the aisle where the fruits were. Jennie was walking between Junmyeon and Minseok. He did not expect them to get close so quickly considering that Minseok initially believed that Jennie was into witchcraft while Junmyeon found it difficult to talk to the opposite since he only interacted with girls when it could be beneficial to his student record. Surprisingly, Junmyeon and Jennie read the same kind of books. Junmyeon brought up a book while Chanyeol was talking to Jennie and Jennie’s face lit up as a look of recognition masked her face. She excitedly told Junmyeon that she was reading the same books and it turned out that Junmyeon and Jennie had the same taste in books. Minseok, on the other hand, was very mature and philosophical. Chanyeol thought that this particular trait of his seemed to pique Jennie’s interest because the next thing he knew, Minseok and Jennie had been sharing their views on several social issues. He closed his eyes and released a long sigh as he continued pushing the shopping cart. Once he opened his eyes, he took a step back in surprise and let out a gasp as Kyungsoo’s face came to sight. Kyungsoo’s large eyes and the blank look plastered on his face was undecipherable to Chanyeol. Chanyeol placed a hand on his chest, trying to calm his heartbeat after the shock Kyungsoo gave him.

Chanyeol glared at the shorter guy. “What are you doing? Do you want me to die?” He demanded.

Kyungsoo shrugged. “It’s not like I would attend your funeral anyway.” He replied nonchalantly.

“It’s not like I would invite you. I’m going to put up a height requirement to those who would attend my funeral.” Chanyeol shot back.

“I don’t care, I’m not interested in going.” Kyungsoo said.

But Chanyeol knew he hit Kyungsoo’s nerves because the latter’s ears turned red. Kyungsoo hated it when people attacked him for his height; it was Kyungsoo’s weakness.

Chanyeol shook his head dismissively and decided to change the subject. “Why did you do that anyway?”

Kyungsoo recovered from the embarrassment of getting his height attacked and replied, “You look so upset that only a plant would not be able to tell.”

“So is Jennie a plant?” Chanyeol and Kyungsoo looked at the direction where the voice came from; it was Sehun walking with his hands in his pocket. Baekhyun was walking behind him; his hands were full from the junk foods he was carrying.

“What kind of question is that?” Chanyeol scoffed.

“Well, it seems like Jennie doesn’t know that you’re feeling upset.” Baekhyun chuckled as he emptied his hands by putting everything in the shopping cart that Chanyeol was holding.

Chanyeol glared at them. “This is all your fault.”

Sehun shook his head. “I beg to disagree. Actually, we’re here to make sure you would make progress with her. Sadly, she seems to like Minseok and Junmyeon more.”

Chanyeol’s mouth hung open as he tried to look for the right words to say.

Baekhyun took this moment to speak, “You look like a puppy following your owner everywhere. Do you want me to put a leash on you?”

Kyungsoo snickered. “Jennie only needs to breathe and Chanyeol would be the ground she walks on.”

Chanyeol huffed and rolled his eyes. “I don’t know what you guys are talking about but all I know is that I’m supposed to go grocery shopping with Jennie alone. So I don’t know why you’re all tagging along. Everything was fine until you guys decided to come with us.”

“And by “fine,” you mean?” Sehun pressed.

“By “fine,” this giant means that Jennie sees him as a friend while he’s falling for her hard and fast.” Baekhyun answered.

Chanyeol was about to answer when he saw Jennie walking towards them, Junmyeon and Minseok were following behind her.

Her eyes met his before scrutinizing Baekhyun, Sehun, and Kyungsoo. “Why are you guys just standing here?” She asked in a stern voice as she crossed her arms over her chest.

The four guys started fidgeting on the spot; Chanyeol tried to look busy by arranging everything inside the shopping cart. Baekhyun pretended to look for something in the aisle. Sehun pushed Chanyeol off the shopping cart and took the job of fixing the things inside while Kyungsoo just averted his gaze.

Jennie sighed. “Come on guys, we have to grab the things we need for our camping trip.”

She took a step closer to Chanyeol and handed him a piece of paper. Chanyeol took it and inspected it with curiosity. “What’s this?” He questioned.

“That’s the list of things needed for our camping trip.” Junmyeon replied as he stared at his phone and started typing something.

“Why don’t we leave them to it? There are four of them, they can do it by themselves.” Minseok smiled.

Jennie nodded. “Do you want to go with us?” She asked, turning her head in the direction of Junmyeon.

Junmyeon shook his head. “I have to buy something for my mom first. But I’ll go out with you guys.” He smiled at her.

Jennie slowly nodded her head as Minseok called her and they went ahead.

Chanyeol who was so cheerful that morning suddenly looked like the whole word ganged up against him. The giant looked dejected as he stared at Jennie’s and Minseok’s retreating figures. His face darkened as his sight focused on them and Sehun stared at Chanyeol’s hands as they closed into fists. Baekhyun patted Chanyeol’s shoulder in a consoling way as he walked past him, following Sehun and Kyungsoo who went ahead to start their grocery shopping.

 

Chanyeol sighed for what could have been like the thousandth time that day as the shopping bags were handed to him and he paid for it. Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Baekhyun headed outside without waiting for Chanyeol. When Chanyeol got outside, he found the three of them looking around but also preoccupied with their phones.

“Where are they?” Chanyeol asked.

Kyungsoo shrugged and it was Sehun who replied. “I texted Junmyeon and Minseok but they haven’t replied yet.”

Baekhyun whistled. “Ya, Yeol, why don’t you text Jennie?”

Chanyeol looked down at the ground, observing the small black ants lining up. His ears went red as he got flustered and he cleared his throat.

Sehun went silent, trying to observe his friend and Kyungsoo’s eyes squinted with suspicion while Baekhyun paused to scrutinize the giant.

All at once they exclaimed their surprise at the epiphany that hit them at the same time.

“You still don’t have her number?” Baekhyun gasped.

“I see you didn’t get her number yet.” Kyungsoo stated in a deadpan manner.

“You don’t have her number, do you?” Sehun asked rhetorically.

Chanyeol huffed and dropped the shopping bags. He pretended to be busy stretching his arms as he looked at the sky. The sun was setting down and the moon was making its appearance.

Sehun put his arm over Chanyeol’s shoulder. “You better get her number quickly.” He advised.

At that moment, Baekhyun’s phone buzzed and he informed them where Minseok and Jennie were.

 

Chanyeol found Jennie and Minseok chatting in a pizza shop close to the shopping mart where they went to. Jennie was giggling at something that Minseok said and the latter’s eyes were almost closed as he smiled from ear to ear.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter