Three

The Girl Called She
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was having a quiet breakfast in the kitchen, eating the sandwich she prepared early in the morning when she heard it. It was a soft knock at first, barely heard over the noise of the television that she  out of habit even though she did not really watch the tv. She paused first, trying to focus on the knocks she thought she heard. But then she chuckled. Who would come here so early in the morning, anyway? 

She took one last sip from her glass of milk then walked to the sink to wash the dishes before leaving for school. She looked around the house to make sure that everything was in place and she did not forget anything. The tv was unplugged and her throw pillows were neatly arranged on her couch. The center table was wiped off earlier that morning. There was no hint of dirt or at least not any she could see with her eye. Her OCD prompted her to clean every spot of the house every day no matter how busy she would get. She just did her laundry and the curtain's fragrance could be smelled all over the living room. She looked at the fridge and found a note posted with a magnet; it was her reminder and to-do list for that day. It was easier for her to keep track of what she was supposed to do by writing it down and putting it somewhere she could easily see. She checked if everything was turned off or unplugged, not wanting to start a fire. When she was satisfied enough, she grabbed her backpack and slung it over her shoulder. Walking to the door, she turned the knob and opened it then jumped away from it. She clutched her chest, trying to calm her heartbeat down after almost getting a heart attack.

Her eyes widened but she kept her cool and acted like it. In front of her was a giant smiling down at her. He waved his hand at her with a goofy smile plastered on his face and she fought the urge to roll her eyes, not wanting to give him any satisfaction after he disturbed the solemnity of her life that morning. But in all honesty, she was wondering what he was doing in her doorway, but not curious enough to break the silence. She knew that her silence could kill so she gave him her usual blank stare; looking at him from head to toe, making him uncomfortable and letting him know she was giving him a look of appraisal. She noticed that he seemed to have shrunken under her gaze and she resisted an urge to smirk.

Surprisingly, the giant with the ruffled hair straightened up under her scrutiny and his face broke out in an even bigger smile. "Hi Jennie! I'm Chanyeol." The guy introduced himself.

Something clicked inside her head. 'Ah, he was that guy who threw up on me yesterday that's why he looked familiar...Chanyeol. So that's his name, he looks stupid. What a fitting name. Why is he even grinning at me like that? He's creepier than I am. I would think he's dangerous if it wasn't for his face that has the word stupid all over it.' She thought.

In all honesty, she had already forgotten the incident. She didn't think of it as something relevant enough to be kept in her memory. She's the type of person who doesn't easily get attached to things or people so she also had a difficult time remembering people's faces or names no matter how long she's known them. She assumed that he was here to apologize; of course, who would not get scared off with the idea that you pissed off someone who's suposedly cursed?

"Uh, do you want to go to school together?" The stupid guy asked and she just stared at him.

When neither of them moved, she gave up and just locked the door and started walking to the bus stop. Chanyeol ran to match her pace as he walked beside her. Her facial expression was stoic but inside, she was caught off guard by the tall guy whose body movements seem not to be coordinated.

"So, you may not know this but I just live in the house next to yours. I live with my parents and I'm an only child...oh wait, I have a sister. But she's monster and not a child. So you could say that I'm an only child with a monster sibling. We rarely bump into each other because you go to school really early, I think. I'm always late to class as you've witnessed yesterday." Chanyeol chattered away.

She tried to tune him out but his words were echoing in her mind even if she did not want to.

They reached the bus stop in time and the bus came. She hopped on and Chanyeol followed after. There was one vacant seat next to an old woman and she took it. Chanyeol stood beside her in the seat since there were no more seats available.

"Hey Jennie, do you want to grab lunch with me and my friends later? I could introduce you to them. They're not really smart but they're nice. I think you'll like them." Chanyeol offered. "If you don't like them, we could have lunch together instead, just the two of us!" Chanyeol quickly added.

She turned her head to the side and let out a sigh. The old woman beside her looked at her then Chanyeol. "Did you fight with your boyfriend?" She asked.

She almost choked on her own spit when she heard the word boyfriend. It's terrifying to hear someone refer to that tall, awkward, and talkative guy as her boyfriend. She had better taste in men, she believed. She put a straight face on and calmly explained, "He's not my boyfriend."

"You surely fought with him." The old woman chuckled. "My husband and I used to be like that too when we were younger. When I was mad, he tried to soften me up by suggesting a lot of good things. But men seem not to know that women don't need something fancy but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter