Ten

The Girl Called She
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie glanced at the dining table, checking to see if there were still crumbs of bread on it. Nodding her head in satisfaction, she looked down to check whether the floor was clean or not. Her OCD kicking in, she looked around one more time to make sure that everything was in place. Satisfied, she switched off the light and headed to the door just in time when the doorbell rung. Opening the door wide, she found her favorite gentle giant smiling down at her.

 

“Good morning, Nini!” Chanyeol’s smile made his eyes sparkle as he greeted Jennie. He bent down and pecked her cheek, leaving Jennie flustered.

 

“Ya, why did you kiss me all of a sudden?” Jennie pouted, looking down in embarrassment.

 

Chanyeol chuckled as he scratched the back of his head. “It’s our first day as a couple. I thought we would graduate without you saying yes to me.”

 

The past couple of months flashed back to Chanyeol’s mind. He thought that he and Jennie would start dating when she admitted to him that she liked him too but he should have known that with Jennie, things were always more complicated than it should be. He pursued Jennie while remaining as her friend; he didn’t want to pressure her to start dating so he only pursued her through actions and they never really talked about dating. Jennie wanted to get to know him more before they started dating so they casually hung out; sometimes, it was just the two of them and other times, the two of them would hang out with Chanyeol’s friends. Finally, on the day before their graduation, Jennie Kim intertwined her fingers with his while walking to the public library. Chanyeol had to contain his feelings because he didn’t want to look like a goofball in front of her.

 

“What time will Junmyeon pick us up?” Jennie asked as she reached for Chanyeol’s hand, interlocking their fingers.

 

Chanyeol thought his stomach was aching because he felt like floating as Jennie reached for his hand. Stuttering, he answered, “It’s Minseok who would pick us up. Junmyeon’s busy preparing his graduation speech for later.”

 

Jennie nodded her head as she casually swayed their hands back and forth. They were standing on Jennie’s doorstep as they waited for their friends to arrive. Chanyeol leaned down and whispered, “You look beautiful.”

 

He gave her his signature smile that reached both ears as she felt her cheeks getting hot. Jennie got her hair curled for their graduation day. She rolled her eyes, averting her gaze as she felt him staring at her.

 

“Where’s your family, by the way?” Jennie asked.

 

“I told them to proceed to the venue earlier since we’re going with Minseok.” Chanyeol replied.

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Park must be proud that their firstborn is finally graduating. Aigoo, Mrs. Park will surely be sad to send you off to college.” Jennie shook her head at the thought.

 

Sighing, Chanyeol stared at her and said, “Well, I already talked to them about this. It will be stressful and tiring to go home everyday since the university’s an hour away from here. I’ll go home on weekends anyway. But I think it’s still better to stay at the dorm.”

 

Jennie nodded, “Your little sister would miss playing with you even though you two always fight.”

 

Chanyeol grinned. “It might make her kinder to me.” He looked around before asking, “Can your mom make it to the ceremony?”

 

Jennie shrugged. “She wasn’t replying to my messages. I guess she can’t attend my graduation. It’s too expensive to fly from New Zealand to here. She can’t stay long here either since she has a job in New Zealand.”

 

Chanyeol patted her head and smiled. “It’s okay, my family will surely cheer on you.”

 

For the past couple of months that they tried to get to know each other better, Chanyeol found out that Jennie grew up without her parents. Her father died at an early age so Jennie has no memory of him and her mother went to New Zealand for a nice-paying job. Jennie stayed with her grandparents and grew up with them but they both died when she was 14 years old so she had to take care of herself. Chanyeol thought that could be the reason why Jennie always preferred being alone. It’s not that she didn’t want to become friends with anyone, she just was used to being alone. He also found out that it was during their freshman year that rumors about her being a cursed witch started spreading. Apparently, Jennie knew that it started when a boy in her class confessed to her. She simply glared at him, not knowing how to reject him. The guy pissed his pants because of her cold stare and told his friends that Jennie must be cursed. The rumors got solidified when that guy broke his arm the next day. That’s when everybody realized that nobody really knew anything about Jennie Kim even though they also studied in the same school back in middle school. Jennie never bothered clarifying those rumors because she didn’t care about what others thought of her.

 

“Hey!” Jennie snapped her fingers in front of Chanyeol’s face and it brought Chanyeol back to the present.

 

“What?” Chanyeol asked, confused.

 

“You seem out of it.” Jennie chuckled.

 

“I was just thinking where the couple of months went. Things seemed to happen to so quickly. We’re going to college now.” Chanyeol mused.

 

Jennie let out a long sigh before replying, “At least, we got accepted in the same university, right? We got each other.” She held their hands up.

 

Chanyeol smiled and nodded. He was lucky enough to get into the same university as Jennie, Baekhyun, and Sehun. Junmyeon got accepted in the top university with Kyungsoo. Minseok, to their surprise, was planning to fulfill the mandat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter