Six

The Girl Called She
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol turned his head to the side, trying to take a glance of the straight-haired girl with cat-like eyes sitting behind him. From his peripheral vision, he could see Jennie staring straight ahead, looking like she’s engrossed with the class discussion. But with Jennie, Chanyeol would never know. Jennie, he thought, was too good at masking her emotions and putting up different facial expressions needed to keep her thoughts inside. Whenever Chanyeol would observe her, she always had the same blank look on her face—the kind of expression that would leave people thinking there was nothing going on in her head. Sometimes, Chanyeol’s amazed with how long she could keep a poker face on only to scare people off. During class, she either had a blank look on her face or gaze at the scenery outside the window. At the moment, Jennie looked like she was paying attention to the teacher’s lecture but Chanyeol noticed that her opened notebook lying on the desk was blank. Her hands were on the desk, her fingers drumming the table in restlessness.

Chanyeol looked at the piece of paper on his palm. He took a deep breath and peeked at Jennie again. This time, she caught him staring. Chanyeol immediately turned his head and opened his notebook, pretending to take notes of what the teacher was saying. Just when he thought he was saved by his quick thinking, he jumped a little as he felt his chair move. Chanyeol looked down and saw Jennie’s foot kicking the leg of his chair. He involuntarily coughed and the teacher’s gaze flew on him. He bowed down in silent apology as he pretended to write on his notebook. He noticed that Sehun turned around to look at him but he refused to look up and meet his eyes. He could feel Sehun’s curiosity just from the intensity of the latter’s stare.

Then he felt Jennie kick his chair again. This time, Chanyeol refused to acknowledge her. He continued writing incoherent words on his notebook and he heard Sehun let out a little laugh. He finally looked up just in time to catch his friend shaking his head with a smirk as he turned his attention back to the teacher.

Chanyeol sighed and crumpled the torn piece of paper that he was supposed to give Jennie. He was about to throw it when he felt someone’s eyes on him. He looked up and saw the teacher staring at him, her expression filled with uncertainty. He froze as he thought of the million possibilities of why he caught her attention. That’s when he realized that he’s not the one she was staring at.

The teacher cleared before she spoke. “What is it, Ms. Kim?”

Chanyeol was caught off guard as he heard Jennie’s last name being called.

“Chanyeol told me he’s not feeling well. Can I bring him to the nurse’s office?” Jennie’s voice rung loud in the complete silence that took over the classroom.

Chanyeol was still in a daze from hearing Jennie speak out loud in class for the first time. He jumped up when he felt someone’s hand pulling him up with his arm. He looked up to see Jennie standing beside him with that same blank expression as she literally dragged him with her. He could feel everyone’s eyes on them but he was still in a shock himself.

He let himself get dragged by Jennie as they headed to the nurse’s office or so he thought. Jennie was leading him up the stairs and Chanyeol wondered whether or not the nurse’s office moved to the rooftop because it was where they were heading.

Jennie mad him sit on the bench where they sat during lunch. She held her palm out and Chanyeol stared at it for a moment before he put his hand over hers. She scoffed before she removed her hand from his and held her palm out once again. “Give it to me.”

“What?” Chanyeol questioned, dumbfounded.

Jennie bent down to reach for Chanyeol’s other hand that was resting on his lap and giant jumped away from her.

“Ya, Jennie! Just because I made the first move to become friends with you, it doesn’t mean you could be so aggressive with me and touch what should not be touched.” Chanyeol said nervously as he closed his legs and covered his crotch with his hands.

Jennie only rolled her eyes and grabbed both Chanyeol’s hands. She opened his clenched fists and a crumpled paper fell on the ground. Before Chanyeol could reach it, Jennie already had it in her hands. She glared at Chanyeol who tried to get close to her to snatch the paper away.

“It was nothing. I was just bored and I…well—it’s not for you!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

Jennie smirked as she read what was written on the paper out loud. “Jennie, do you want to go to the grocery with me? Hmm…last time I checked, my name is Jennie and you were the one acting all suspicious in class, stealing glances at me when you thought I wasn’t looking. Did you know how creepy you were?” Jennie chuckled as she sat beside Chanyeol.

“I told you it wasn’t for you.” Chanyeol argued lamely.

Jennie leaned back and turned her head upwards. The sunlight hit her face and she scrunched up her nose and closed her eyes in response. “So who’s Jennie?”

Chanyeol was caught up staring at the sunlight hitting Jennie’s side profile that he only asked, “What?”

“I don’t know why you have to keep denying that the note was for me.” She sighed. “Why did you even have to say it on a note? You could have just asked me anytime.”

Chanyeol scratched hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter