Chapter 2: Hiraeth

Figure Me Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2: Hiraeth

hiraeth: welsh; [n.] homesickness for a home which you cannot return

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lee Jihoon’s another day in school passed by so fast, as if time is running out.  It was a normal day. It was. If only a man wasn’t following him right behind. He never imagined that the moment would come that his old boring routine on the way home will be destroyed by a heavy burden. Yesterday, he startled himself for asking Seungcheol to come over today. What can he offer him anyway? The walk was filled with silence that deafened both males. It didn’t last long until they reached their destination.

 

 

He pulled out his keys and hesitated before opening the gate. , I forgot to clean. He anxiously shuddered and the chilly air striking their way wasn’t helping. Last night, his thoughts were flooded with what he should cook but ended up with nothing instead. He wanted to tell Seungcheol to go home but it’s too late to avoid this, the man’s already inside. He quietly sniffed his surroundings and thankfully, it smelled like nothing. He glanced up to the taller male who was inspecting the small interior, almost forgetting that this man beside him is wealthy. It made him feel insecure, expecting to hear complaints but the only sounds he heard is Seungcheol's breathing. 

 

 

Jihoon bent over and tried to clean the wastes that were painfully visible on the coffee table. There were still empty cups placed above it and books splattered all over the floor. He kicked crumpled papers, irritated. He never knew he was this disorganized until he went inside his house with someone else. 

 

 

A hand suddenly s up his waist that made him let out a loud shriek, “...!”

 

 

He shot a glare at the offender and pushed him away, incredibly furious. Seungcheol stared at him in awe, pleasantly surprised with a smirk on his face. “Didn’t know you could curse.”

 

 

“I-I’m human too!” It’s true, he never curses in front of anyone, in fear that his image will shatter but it was different this time.

 

 

He tossed books in Seungcheol’s way, not caring about the other dodging them effortlessly. “Read them!”

 

 

He stomped his feet until he reached his kitchen. Skinship is one of his pet peeves. He pondered about what he should make, a demon inside him screaming, poison poison poison. He laughed at himself, ignored all his options and brewed coffee in the end. It’s not like he knows what the rich eats, he’s not a fancy restaurant. He sauntered into the living room, holding them carefully.

 

 

He held out the mug in front of Seungcheol’s intense gaze, the other slightly smiled at him and took it in his hands. He placed himself beside the taller male and began tutoring him about the lessons, from electromagnetic phenomena to random space trivia. To his surprise, Seungcheol never once dropped remarks. Jihoon never saw him this eager to listen to anything, this lazy good-for-nothing man. It made him think that perhaps he has something wonderful hidden in all the bad that he shows, that maybe he misunderstood him. It was comforting to see him solemnly reading as if he’s really determined to understand everything.

 

 

If only he’s always like this, Jihoon thought. He took a sip from his cup that made him hum a song that’s been playing in his mind for so long. This is the best part of winter, the lulling music that can relieve one’s uneasy heart.

 


"because you’re my everything in life, for life..."

 

 

“Full of surprises, as always, Jihoon~” Seungcheol lilted. Jihoon woke up from his light trance, realizing he just sang in front of a human being. And someone undesirable, at that.

 

 

“Pretend you didn’t hear anything,” he hissed as he felt his blood running towards his cheeks, turning his head away in embarrassment. His voice isn’t something he’s really confident with.

 

 

“You should share your talent. It sounds... beautiful.” He slowly glanced up at Seungcheol, expecting to see a mocking look but instead met sincere ones. Jihoon quickly looked away and pulled his knees closer to his chest, not bothering to answer. Seungcheol feigns sadness, with his hands fanning his fake tears.  

 

 

Jihoon let out a soft giggle at the foolishness the other is showing. "Do you want to... go out?" he muttered, still trying not to meet Seungcheol's eyes. Say yes, . I'm trying to be kinder. 

 

 

Seungcheol's eyes widened in an amused way and teased, "Are you asking me on a date?"

 

 

"No!" Jihoon fumed, "You know what? Never mind!" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The local restaurant near his house isn’t that spacious but it’s perfect for winter. With its sweet aroma arising every step closer to it, it felt like what he imagined home was. It’s Jihoon’s personal preference. As always, people usually don’t dine in here which is his most favorite thing. Peace and quiet. They searched for a seat and immediately found one that seems to fit just right.

 

 

“Jihoonie, been a while! Welcome!” A familiar voice sang out.

 

 

Seungcheol was stunned by the sight, “Mrs. Min?”

 

 

She peeked, looking as amazed as he is. Her eyes shifted from Seungcheol to Jihoon, in awe of the two males. At first, she was aware they’re polar opposites and can never get along but now, it looks like they suit each other. She leaned into Jihoon’s ear to whisper, “So are you guys dating?”

 

 

This made Jihoon choke at nothing but his spit and mumbled a quick, “No way!” Seungcheol just stared at them, as if in deep thought.

 

 

She clapped her hands together and gained the attention of the two, “Seungcheol, please don’t call me Mrs. Min outside of school. My husband and I already separated.”

 

 

Jihoon rolled his eyes, “Call her Ms. Amy or Ms. Lee, I don’t care whatever.”

 

 

“Aish, this child.”

 

 

“I got it, Ms. Lee.” Seungcheol nodded and gave her a small smile.

 

 

“Any orders from you gentlemen?”  

 

 

“I’ll take whatever he’s having,” Seungcheol pointed at the smaller male who looks like he’s sinking into his seat. It was an adorable sight, making him look like a tiny cinnamon roll. Ms. Lee nodded and instantly walked away as if she already knows what Jihoon’s going to order.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter