Chapter 13: Apricity

Figure Me Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 13: Apricity

apricity: (n.) the sun's warmth on a cold winter day

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Who will you marry?”

 

 

 

 

“Jihoon.”

 

 

 

 

Judging by their faces flowed with bewilderment, they didn't expect Seungcheol to say that so proudly. The servants peered over them while looking amused and evidently joyful. But his parents are otherwise. His mother had her eyes widened and judging by how she’s so stunned, they won’t return back to their normal sizes. “What do you mean?”

 

 

He glanced at Jihoon who was staring shockingly from upstairs momentarily before relaxing. He should let out all the things he've been keeping inside for years, “In your 5 years of absence, I’ve been addicted to clubbing. Liquor, cigarettes, drugs, girls...even boys. All those typical bad habits...I think I forgot to do all that when Jihoon started nagging me. That says a lot, don’t it?”

 

 

“Then, you are friends with him...just friends,” She emphasized with a hard tone.

 

 

As his father sent daggers in his way, Seungcheol squinted at him as if to ridicule his ego. “I’m old enough to know what I feel and what I don’t.”

 

 

His mother lost her composure as if she heard the most sinful thing committed by a person, “It’s impossible to get married! This is opposed to that of an...ideal.”

 

 

Seungcheol rolled his eyes and sighed, “Mother, I think I made everything clear...Should I repeat myself?” The arguing had a dull exhaustion to it, like they'd been over the same bitterness too many times before.

 

 

His father finally spoke in between gritted teeth and clenched jaw, “No need...I can’t hear any more!...Gosh, I should’ve expected this, what a disappointment!”

 

 

Without being wavered Seungcheol leaned closer, perfectly composed and uttered just two words that packed a powerful punch more than any fists, “ off.” He plopped himself down in one of the sofas to get more provocative.

 

 

“What’s the point of marrying someone who doesn’t have an honorable background? And more importantly, a man! A ing...man, Seungcheol...of all people you could’ve –“ The older male cut himself off by yelling in frustration and standing up abruptly to kick the glass of water in the table, the shatter echoing around the halls. That’s it; that’s where Seungcheol got his violence. His father put both hands in either sides of his temple as his eyes met Seungcheol once more.

 

 

“Don’t ing talk about Jihoon like that,” Seungcheol snarled and ran a hand through his hair in quick succession. He balled up his fist, readying to attack in any second if ever his father ever tried insulting Jihoon again. The boy already had too much.

 

 

His father casts a look from Seungcheol to Jihoon who was fidgeting from upstairs, “Seungcheol, I gave you money, wealth...And in return, you offered me nonsense and failure! You...you wasted everything!” His hands stuck firmly on his hips, steam almost flying from his ears.

 

 

“Jokes on you, I didn’t need your money! I wanted freedom. And what did you give me?” Seungcheol trailed off to a more mocking tone, “That’s right, arranged marriage bull!”

 

 

His father glared at him and then spat out, “How dare you? You will never have the right to talk back to me like that!”

 

 

Seungcheol sneered then laughed bitterly only adding fuel to the older male’s burning fire, “Correct! Because you never listen...If you miraculously did...you would’ve realized how selfish you are as a parent!”

 

 

“Don’t put the blame on me, Seungcheol. You are my son and you are here to obey my commands!” He bore his eyes into Seungcheol with cruel, dull ones that never blinked. They had a heated eye contact in which they are having a telepathic argument.

 

 

Seungcheol growled and finalized, “I’m not your son, I chose not to be!”

 

 

Deafening silence took over the large interior of the house. The stillness was poisonous in its nothingness, for in that void of sound, the shallowness of their heated conversation was laid bare. Everything was just there; like every noise left the mansion in a state of emptiness and lacuna. As soon as it lasted longer than usual, his father broke the silence in a whisper, “Get out...”

 

 

“I refuse to have you within my eyesight...Get up and go!” His father belted and his tone was final. It was carefully spoken, without drama, his words had an air of finality and nothing could ever change his mind.

 

 

Seungcheol eyed him intently, his eyebrows narrowing down into slits, and snap at their stares. As his face become rigid, jaw clamped tight and teeth ground, he realized it’s time to get out before he does anything he’ll regret. When he stood, his chair fell backward, making his mother flinch at the sudden alarming noise. He whirled and extended his feet to walk away. He headed upstairs and looked at Jihoon who had a momentary flare of fear in his face. Seungcheol ambled and motioned Jihoon to come with him but the boy stood wide-eyed. Seungcheol had no choice but to drag him, with hands gripping his wrist tightly. The boy tried breaking free from his painful grasp, kicking away whatever needs to be kicked. All the people present in the room got their eyes on both of them; the servants hesitated to open the front door for them but with Seungcheol’s signal, they did. As the door slammed behind them, Jihoon almost escaped that Seungcheol had no choice but to put Jihoon’s whole body over his shoulder. Jihoon shrieked and slapped his offender’s back but Seungcheol firmly placed his arm over his to prevent him. 

 

 

“Let me go! Seungcheol...!” Jihoon fired under his breath, elbowing Seungcheol’s back but the taller male didn’t bulge.

 

 

Seungcheol strode with footsteps getting faster until he reached his car. He fished out his keys and managed to open the door. He carefully placed Jihoon in the passenger’s seat with an oof. As he was about to explain, Jihoon didn’t give him the time to do so. Seungcheol felt a sudden force reach his face and that’s when he became aware of his senses. Jihoon punched him. Jihoon, his princess, hit his face with a fist.

 

 

As a befuddled Seungcheol raised his fingers to soothe his swollen cheek, Jihoon miffed, “What the hell is your problem?!”

 

 

With them being silent, Seungcheol finally found the words he wanted to ask, “How much did you hear?”

 

 

With a cold-hearted tone, Jihoon simply answered, “I heard enough. What is wrong with you?”

 

 

Seungcheol wearied and slumped down his shoulders when he realized how disappointed Jihoon sounded. He’s aware that what he did was selfish and he should’ve told Jihoon beforehand but he was afraid of being rejected. He weakly responded, "I was only trying my best to protect you." 

 

 

Jihoon huffed as if he heard the most ridiculous thing in the world as his face battled a mix of negative emotions, “I’m not your responsibility and...ugh... there’s no way in hell I need your protection!”

 

 

“I know...I know,” Seungcheol mumbled, looking down on his feet. He looked so pitiful and pathetic, as if a stabbing knife wrecked his very being but Jihoon was unfazed. He pushed the man aside from blocking his way and got out of his car immediately. He stood up, chin up and faced the taller male.

 

 

He took a step back and made a distance between them, “If you know, go back and tell them the truth! Tell them you’re so scared of marriage you had no choice but to lie!” Jihoon's voice heightened when he made a gesture pointing towards Seungcheol's house. 

 

 

“I can’t – they won’t listen to me,” Seungcheol stammered with a shaking voice.

 

 

They momentarily paused and met each other's gazes. Jihoon gave him a stern look and Seungcheol had no choice but to narrow his eyes sadly. After what seems like forever, Jihoon shut his eyes and finally breathed out in anger, “Fine, you know what? I’ll just go back and fix your mess myself!”

 

 

Before Seungcheol could have the last word, Jihoon already walked away. The taller male watched him fade into the blues but he was just steps away from him. He looked so far away and distant. He wanted to run after him again, take him away...Princess. Tower. Hansol’s words came back running into his mind and he recalled why he did this in the first place. He wants to be with Jihoon no matter what because Seungcheol always gets what he wants. Including the dragon. He pursed his lips together and caught up to Jihoon, forcing him to halt his tracks by grabbing his shoulder forcefully.

 

 

Jihoon’s stumbled backward, yanked his grasp away aggressively and turned his heel around, “Oh my god! When will you ever stop?”

 

 

His tone hurt. Seungcheol sullenly whewed, gently

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter