Chapter 6: Burn

Figure Me Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  

 

Chapter 6: Burn

burn: (v.) to be destroyed by fire

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The busy streets were loaded with people who were seen to be lovers and friends, supporting the festive air that travels along. Jihoon was unaware of the reason why he ended up accepting Seungcheol’s invite to stroll and take a bite over this crazy site he never went to. Perhaps it’s because the sky was ablaze a somber gray hue and a band of salmon pink that hovers over the horizon or the sound of food being mentioned. Either way, it was heartwarming. He’s currently with a friend who didn’t force himself to come but was actually the one that gave the offer. It was a first time. And now that he realized, Seungcheol took most of his first times. This friendly Sunday date, the unwanted physical contacts... the kiss. The latter annoyed him for a bit but Jihoon was glad nonetheless, it made him think that this is how he should’ve been from the start if he didn’t push people aside. Contented. In the first place, this friendship wouldn’t have worked out if it wasn’t for Seungcheol’s obstinacy. One can’t take him out, like a weed resisting in a garden full of flowers.  

 

 

 

“Thinking about something you love?” Seungcheol’s voice fades in. They were standing together near a coffee shop, appreciating the faraway food stalls while having a cup of coffee in their freezing hands.

 

 

Jihoon threw a questioning look, I was thinking about you.  He silently cringed at himself, what a cliché yet painfully honest thing to say. “Does it look like that?”

 

 

“Could be. Your eyes gleam when you’re happy,” Seungcheol tenderly smiled. It was one of the sweet smiles that Jihoon loved about him. It doesn’t appear to be the Seungcheol he met the first day, it looks like the Seungcheol he’s getting to know now.

 

 

“Oh? I didn’t know that about myself. You seem to observe me...a lot.” Jihoon quipped, returning the warmth of his joy.

 

 

“Yes, I do...” Seungcheol trailed off, reaching something behind from his bag. “And because I’m your biggest fan, I’ll show you something you might really like.”

 

 

“Hm, a gift? My birthday is like decades away.”

 

 

Seungcheol lowly chuckled at the remark and pulled out papers that raised a thin brow on Jihoon’s face. He gently tossed it in front of the smaller male to give him time to inspect the contents of the pages.

 

 

Jihoon’s eyes widened in admiration and pride. “Woah, I'm so proud of you! How did you do this?” They were Seungcheol’s quiz results in subjects they have taken. And they’re super major. He had high scores enough to prove what hard work can do. They weren’t as great as Jihoon’s but they’re good enough for someone who fails frequently. This is the first step to Jihoon’s belief that Seungcheol can change for the better. Even if it’s a gradual process.

 

 

“I wouldn’t have done it without you, teacher.” Seungcheol bowed down with a playful smirk across his face.

 

 

Jihoon rolled his eyes but stared rather lovingly, “Can you...um... get that stool over there?” Seungcheol didn't bother asking why and did what he said. Jihoon stood up on it just to meet Seungcheol's tall height. He could go mad at what he's doing because he's literally insulting his own insecurity but he’s too astonished to care.

 

 

Jihoon grabbed both Seungcheol’s cheeks to fixate his gaze, a gorgeous grin attached to his face that made his eyes disintegrate a little more. “You did well,” He muttered before leaning in to plant a gentle kiss on Seungcheol’s forehead, making it linger longer. Seungcheol's eyes fell shut to absorb the feeling of his lips, widening his smile. Jihoon slowly pulled away and jumped out. They stared into each other's eyes and soon cackled at the silliness of it all. 

 

 

“You're so cute..." Seungcheol beamed. "But what the hell is that?" 

 

 

“I do that to kids who did good. Is it a bad thing?”  

 

 

"Oh? Kid? Who looks like the kid between us?" He mocked. He is the only person that can get away with pointing that out about Jihoon without the boy getting insane over it. 

 

 

 Jihoon retorted, "Who acts like the kid?"  

 

 

They melted into each other's gazes and again, broke into fits of laughter that filled the comforting atmosphere. A great beginning. With Seungcheol’s signal, they sat closely in an empty bench to keep each other warm as the hot drinks in their hands are running out. Winter had never felt this loving to Jihoon. He never knew that the streets are filled with a lively ambiance rather than that of a lifeless boulevard that he was always used to. Going out here was secretly one of his dreams but he knows he’ll just feel lonesome. Today is an exception.

 

 

 

They sat quietly and watched their surroundings. Jihoon turned his attention towards a pale kid wandering that resembles a man he just talked to yesterday.

 

 

He hummed, still in deep thought, “Kwon Soonyoung, Ring any bells?”

 

 

Seungcheol aimed his burning gaze towards him, hesitant to speak because he heard a name he wouldn’t want to hear from Jihoon’s mouth. He huffed. “It rings many bells. And they’re ing loud.”

 

 

Jihoon woke up from his light trance as questions popped in his mind, acknowledging the sudden change of mood the man is showing. Because he can and because he is Jihoon, he decided to play around. “Are you friends?” Obviously not.

 

 

Seungcheol scoffed, looking at him in disbelief as if he heard the worst possible joke in the world. “No way in hell, what’s it about him?”

 

 

“He talked to me in my favorite library yesterday and I almost fainted. I idolize him.” Jihoon let out a soft giggle to emphasize the adoration he felt for his role model. But Seungcheol’s expression turned fiercer and more bitter. It’s true though, Soonyoung was someone he looked up to for years. He’s incredibly down-to-earth and possibly the most generous man in the world.

 

 

“I’ll let you get to know him just to let you realize how much of an he is.” Seungcheol showed a resentful scorn, averting his gaze and clenching his jaw. Despite all the anger apparent, there was a trace of respect in Seungcheol’s eyes. And that made Jihoon more curious as to what Seungcheol's relationship with Soonyoung is. Friends? Enemies? Both?

 

 

Jihoon could forever but that’ll cause them to maybe drift apart. It’s not like he knows when he’ll lose someone. How is he supposed to keep a friend in his life? It was a neverending maze one can never get out of. He heavily sighed and stood up, gesturing the other to come with him. “Come on, let’s go eat.”

 

 

Seungcheol eyed him before revealing his widely-known million-dollar grin that made Jihoon’s heart thump and breath hitch. Jihoon could never understand what a feeling this is, it happens a lot around Seungcheol. Way too many times it becomes suspicious. It hurts, it’s beautiful yet somehow, feels so deadly. Seungcheol pointed a spot behind Jihoon, “That’s the first place to go to. Absolutely delicious.” He swiftly stood up, matching the footsteps of the smaller male who rapidly walked away. They marched towards their desired destination, the stall with a large illuminated FOOD IS GOOD title above. It had a pleasing scent attracting the people surrounding it, combined with the jovial smiles of the elderly vendor.

 

 

 

“Seungcheol!” The seller welcomed in a low raspy voice, “It’s b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter