Chapter 3: Here

Figure Me Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 3: Here 

here: (adv.) in this place

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why is their timing always wrong? He thought.

 

 

Seungcheol yelled in frustration, reaching the front door of his friend. The neighborhood seems to be deeply asleep, as if he cares if they can hear him. It’s not like he asked for this to happen and it did. If only he had the ability to stop time, he would.

 

 

The door slowly opened, revealing a dazed Mingyu, “Who – Seungcheol?”

 

 

“... ! My car!”

 

 

“It’s in the back – what’s the matter with you? Partied hard?”

 

 

He enraged, ignoring his remarks, “Keys! now!”

 

 

Mingyu wanted to pop another question but seeing the expression on his face alerted him, urgently taking the keys from the counter. Seungcheol isn’t the type to appear vexed. “Are you going to tell me what happened now?”

 

 

As soon as Seungcheol got it in his hands, he immediately marched towards the backyard so as to start his engine, agitated. His friend is still tailing him, baffled at his rash actions. Seungcheol knew he wasn’t going to let him go so explaining is probably the best option, “My parents came back from Singapore. As much as I hate to see them, I have to.”

 

 

The mention of Seungcheol’s parents dismayed Mingyu. They aren’t that tenderhearted. The idea of meeting them again is a massive no-no, the first encounter was already awkward enough. “Are they at home? What will you do if - ?”

 

 

Seungcheol groaned and hit his head violently against the steering wheel as the only way to emit his distress, “I don’t know!”

 

 

There was a long pause before Mingyu consoled him, strongly patting his back in ways that didn’t make him feel any better, “Rest in peace, my friend...”

 

 

Seungcheol looked up and flipped his middle finger in front of his face and seethed, “You’re not even helping!”

 

 

“Have a... nice night, Mr. Choi Seungcheol.” The mischief in his friend’s eyes was evident, distinctly showing his taunting and sarcasm.

 

 

They stared at each other before both men chuckled then broke into fits of laughter and soon cheered each other. It will all be better. This has happened before; they’re both aware that something like this will not falter Seungcheol’s resolve.

 

 

“Then Mr. Kim Mingyu, I’ll be going.” They hit each other playfully and bid their farewells.

 

 

“Sergeant Choi, come back safely from war,” He saluted.

 

 

“Will do.”

 

 

He smiled before driving away to the longer route, purposely slowing his ride down. He had all the time to think whether to run away now or face everything. It’s hard to believe but behind his invulnerability, he was still quite petrified of what the outcome will be. Seeing his parents after their many years of disappearance. Without them, he felt unstrained. Free. But now knowing they’re here breathing in the same place he is, it was the total opposite.

 

 

Giving up means living with that burden forever so facing it is his only choice. Before he even tried anything, he saw that his house was getting more visible. They’re not monsters, but close, they’re his parents. He inhales deeply, opening the car’s door, still hesitant to go any nearer. He silently walked in front of the gates, eyeing the enormous house he never walked into for months. What underworld is waiting for him inside?

 

 

“Young master!” The security guard marveled and quickly opened the gates with an excitement showing in his recklessness. They pat each other’s backs as a form of a casual greeting. If his parents saw this kind of treatment, the old man’s job will perish.

 

 

“Mr. Shin, it’s been a long while. How were you?”

 

 

Mr. Shin cheered while pointing at him, “I’ve been good but I know you aren’t!”

 

 

“Why not?” He raised a brow at him.

 

 

“Your father looked like he could brutally murder someone when he arrived.” He trailed off, “Did you do something?”

 

 

Seungcheol placed two fingers on his chin, as if in deep thought, “Not that I remember of.” Too many to count. 

 

 

“Eh, don’t think too much now. Let’s go inside. I’ll be a corpse in no time if I hide you.”  

 

 

They laughed at each other before the man formally opened the front door, getting into his character. The mansion had an atmosphere of gentle elegance and decay, revealing its spacious interior. It had light palettes that represent an ambiance of harmony and equilibrium. Beautiful light-painted walls that complement the wondrous space. It’s every fool’s wish. But it’s nowhere near what you can call a home. A house, yes, but definitely not a home. 

 

 

"Still the same, huh..." 

 

 

As he stepped a foot inside, the servants and butlers bowed in his presence. There he saw, two figures facing their backs against him. His heart constricted in resentment at the sight as they turn their heels quickly. Mrs. Choi almost stumbled as she made her way to wrap her arms around his neck. He didn’t bother returning back the warmth, staring at her in confusion while she slowly pulls away.

 

 

“What’s up?” He questioned with blatant disrespect, plopping himself down at one of the light-achromatic modular sofas.

 

 

Mr. Choi repeated his words and scoffed, aggravated. Seungcheol can hear his mother stopping his father from going any further but it was futile, all the people present in the room knows that it’ll take more than that to calm him down.

 

 

His father forcefully grabbed him by the collar. In return, Seungcheol blew a breath of air in his face. The older man harshly let go, making him fall at one of the sofas and threw small images in Seungcheol's face with a fist, giving him time to inspect the fallen pictures scattered around the floor. "Is this how we raised you?"

 

 

Oh. It was pictures of him, drinking, having his way around the club like he usually does. His father got mad for this? He committed more than this. He sneered, gaining the attention of the other. He wanted to answer him, you never raised me but that would just cause the tension more heated. It’s terribly factual, however. He grew in the hands of their servants while his parents are out there having fun and supposedly, working. The attack earlier didn’t get to him, at all. It was rather refreshing. 

 

 

Seungcheol retorted, “You hired someone to take this? Are you a stalker?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter