Chapter 1: Begin

Figure Me Out
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1: Begin
begin: [v.] to start something

 

 

Choi Seungcheol. Ah, how do I even begin? I guess you could say that he's rich, popular, and ed up, together with his best friend Kim Mingyu. I've never seen a man like him, to be honest. And that statement is not that of a good news at all. Once, I heard someone say that he's perfect. I mean, come on, out of all the words you can describe him as, it's perfect? Oh please, if anything, he should be known as a . Because that's what he's good at anyway, or so, I heard. Am I the only woke person that actually sees right through that handsome exterior of his? Am I the only one sane in this biased world? I wouldn't doubt. And plus, can you really believe people actually fall for that tw-

 

"Ya! Where are you, Jihoon-ah?" Seungcheol let out a warm chuckle while staring at the other in astonishment, holding himself back from touching him because he knows the boy needs his space. 

 

 

"Somewhere deep in hell," Jihoon scowled and momentarily paused but continued to speak, "Just read it, I'm working." 

 

Seungcheol gave a cheesy grin and placed a loving kiss on his temple. His heart flutters at the sight of his lover shamelessly stripping his clothes off to change and struggling in the process. He sat back down and turned his attention back to the small notebook. All the memories poured back into his mind altogether. It reminds him of everything he endured and hoped for; one of the best decisions he ever made. The pictures taken, memories made and words spoken. Ah, good times indeed. 

 

 

 

 

♦ • ♦

 

 

 

 

 

 

He inhaled the cool air that was tickling his pale skin and silently giggled to himself. The smell of winter. Lee Jihoon began his day with a novel in his right hand and coffee in the other, nothing new. He was always drowning himself in books and caffeine, feeling a lot more comfort in doing so. Usually, he'd be in his earphones while listening to music to shut the whole world off but today was different; his favorite event of the whole school year will be introduced. Just the thought of it makes him excited. He took a few steps until he reached the lofty gates of Riverview High, his beloved school. He allowed his petite figure to be swallowed by the large crowd the students are making inside the Multipurpose Hall. 

 

 

"Please rise to honor the Flag Ceremony and the National Anthem..." 

 

 

There it is, written in bold multicolored letters. Intellect's Center 2017. If you hear the contest's rules the first time, you'd think that it's simple and uninteresting. All will participate, no matter what. It's a cooperative game between two students who will strive for better grades and values. One must not have their grades lower than 95 and any records will disqualify both people from the game. After the semester break, there will be a week given solely for the contest's main event, the challenges that will showcase their intellectual abilities. They must overcome it no matter what. Sometimes, students quit in the process and sometimes, they just break down completely. Parents are overly fond of this event because they thought it'd make their children focus more on their studies, when in fact, they won't. Sure, students are anticipating this for a long while but that doesn't mean they're welcoming the event. The only thing they care about is their partners. And that's where Jihoon differs. 

 

 

Some students turned their gazes towards his direction while he was fiddling his fingers awkwardly. He despised being the center of attention hence sometimes he's envious of the party-goers who boost confidence whenever. He wouldn't be getting this much recognition if it wasn't a known fact that he won Champion in their grade level three times in a row so everyone's quietly hoping they end up with him. He was reluctant inside, but he tried to give himself assurance. He's not so sure about the random partner-picking. So far he survived these past few years with decent partners but it'd kill him now if fate plays with him. 

 

 

After the assembly finished, all students head back to their respective classrooms dragging him along. There are no classes today, just a few clarifications about the event. He was relieved about it as if the weight on his shoulders were lifted off.  Sure, he’s smart but that doesn’t mean he enjoys studying. He yawned and lowered his head in his armchair. He couldn't sleep properly because his thoughts kept him awake. From what should I eat later? to the world's ending tomorrow. 

 

 

A slam in the door almost made him jump out the window. His face expressed a turmoil of feelings, from hate to nothing. 

 

 

He’s late again, Jihoon thought. Who would've thought? It's actually none other than Choi Seungcheol. The fools turned their heads towards his direction, staring in awe. He never understood why everyone found him likable. Was it money? Looks? Strength? Strip him off all that, he's nothing but a piece of trash. He's a delinquent, always in trouble and never on time. Jihoon's pet peeve is Seungcheol's whole existence. Though the latter isn't even aware that someone hates him so much. He prefers not to let him know, it'll just cause trouble and trouble is not exactly his forte. 

 

 

He slightly cringed at the man making his way to his seat without any greetings or apologies as if he ever did what-so-ever. Mrs. Min, their adviser, cleared . She's one of the few people Jihoon trusts although their friendship is unknown to the public. And the reason why they became so close is because she's also one of the minorities who woke up from the reality that Seungcheol is indeed a fückboy, not some God who should be worshiped.

 

 

“You are all reminded yesterday that this day will be sacrificed for the announcement of your partners. Names are already written here, so a change is impossible. Today, your only mission is to meet and greet. Got it?”

 

 

“Yes, Ma'am....”                      

     

 

“Now... let’s start.”

 

 

She started calling out students and whispered to them names Jihoon couldn't comprehend, not that he was curious anyways. Their reactions would either be disappointment or relief. Staring at them won't help the growing anxiety in his heart. His mind started to drift away and led to the darker parts of it. He groaned in frustration, imagining all the ways he'd fail. 

 

 

“Lee Jihoonie?” He woke up from his unnecessary self-inflicted hell and hurried himself in front of his frie - teacher, almost losing his balance.

 

 

“Don’t call me that!” He half-whispered, hoping no one would question them but luckily, no one noticed because they were all occupied in their own world.

 

 

“I won’t tell you yours.”

 

 

“Why?”

 

 

“Your partner begged me not to. You’ll find out later.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter