Lifeline

BESTOWED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Where am i? Am i dead? Or is it just a dream?

I can see mom and dad driving in front while i am sitting at the back of the car. Mom is singing the song playing on the radio while dad is humming with it. I giggle but it's a toddler's voice that comes out.

"Honey, you can sing along with us you know." Mom turns towards me. "Come on now sweetheart, sing with mommy."

I shake my head and giggle for the second time, amused by my parents' playfulness. I reach out my hands towards Mom and she moves to unfasten the seatbelt around my baby seat but she's interrupted when our car suddenly flips upside down.

And i suddenly wake up from my dream. I open my eyes and see a white plastered ceiling. I wake up catching my breath. I turn around and see Bobby leaning over towards me. He looks worried and relieved at the same time.

"Kim Jisoo-shii?"

I turn to my right and see Dr Park Bom smiling towards me.

"How do you feel?"

I scowl. How do i feel? I was shot and bleeding just a while ago. I reach out to touch the part where i got hit and feel nothing. My eyes widen. I check my wound but there is none.

I look at the Doctor. "How--"

"It's Rosé." The Doctor answers. "She's a bestowed with an ability to heal any kind of wounds. You're lucky that she already finished all her medical tests by the time you got yourself hurt."

"What were you thinking?" Bobby shouts and i flinch. He sounds angry.

"Jiwon-ah." The doctor warns.

"I heard what happened from Seungri-hyung. "Volunteer? You ing volunteered to be one of us? What the hell were you thinking?"

"I just did it on a whim." I try to reason. "Hanbin's in trouble and they were all being hard on him. I got angry and said that i'm one of you."

"That's it? You think it's just that simple?" Bobby scoffs. "Everyone thinks it's simple. Damn! It's so simple alright, so simple that anyone can get in. But once you're in, there will be no way out."

I am speechless. He's right. I haven't thought about that, about what to do after signing myself into this mess. And Hanbin actually tried to avoid this from happening. He's just trying to look out for me. Hanbin.

"Where is he?" I ask. The two just look at me. "Where's Hanbin?"

Bobby's expression softens. "I believe he's still talking to the Head right now."

"Head? You mean the highest ranking officer of the Den?" I ask. "One of the Big Three?"

"The one and only." Bobby spits the words with so much revulsion.

"He didn't get into trouble for trying to kill one of those guys right?" I ask nervously. "Who are those guys anyway?"

"They're the elite force of this damn organization." Bobby answers. "Now that you're one of us, you need to understand that there's also a hierarchy among us recruits."

"What do you mean?"

"Being a recruit means you're a soldier now but not all recruits can do outside jobs." Bobby explains. "Those bastards you saw earlier? They're them. They're the best among the best despite being blanks. They go out often doing god knows what the organization tells them to do."

"But if what you said is true, then what were you and Hanbin doing the night i saw you?" I ask. "You said it yourself, only those in the elite force can go outside."

"I didn't say that." Bobby shakes his head. "I said, not all the recruits can go outside. It doesn't mean that only the elite can. It would be too hard even for them to handle all the jobs by themselves."

"Bobby's right." Dr Park says. "There are times when the jobs are too hard for the elite to handle especially when there are bestoweds involved."

"After all, it takes a bestowed to be able to kill one." Bobby says without even blinking.

He sounds like killing is just a normal thing to do in their job. It makes me shiver. What happened to these gu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter