Instincts and Other Things

My Penguin!

A few weeks passed and everything was falling into a comfortable rhythm, Kyungsoo would get up in the morning, go to work and come home for lunch on the days that he had the time, or he'd head down to the cafe in the shelter like he had so many times before, except instead of looking to adopt a hybrid he'd go there to have lunch with Chanyeol, who had started volunteering at the shelter - he loved playing with the younger hybrids there, and had even made friends with the older ones Kyung and Zico  included-  Yifan had also started coming to work more often with Tao so he could hang out with them as well, and a lot of the time the worker himself could be found taking a break to spend some time with Kyungsoo and the two large hybrids, before he had to go back to work and the hyperactive pit bulls came to drag the larger hybrids off to who knew where. 

Things were going nicely, and Kyungsoo had never been happier, though he did still get into the occasional argument with Chanyeol over where things went -Feet did not belong on the coffee table, in his opinion. Chanyeol disagreed.- it felt like everything was fitting into place. He even told Chanyeol as much, and then struggled, as usual, to get out of the hybrid's grip as they laughed and wrestled around on the floor a bit. 

But things don't always stick to the plan.

It started simply enough, Kyungsoo, who had gone back to regular hours at his office, suddenly had to pick up the slack of not one, but two other workers that had walked out on a fairly large project. he became quieter and lost a lot of sleep, he even stopped eating as much. It was making him snappy when he did reply to Chanyeol and the hybrid wasn't too pleased about any of it, he didn't want his penguin to become sick because he was neglecting himself.

It was a normal weeknight when Chanyeol decided he'd had enough, he'd been home from his volunteer position at the shelter for a couple hours already.

And now it looked like Kyungsoo was going to be late again. He looked around the apartment he shared with the smaller man and decided to clean up a bit.

However, an hour later when everything was as clean as it could be and Kyungsoo was still absent, he was starting to worry. he picked up his phone and sent off a text. 


To; Penguin 

From; Yeol

Are you working late again? 


A few minutes later a reply came back.

To; Yeol 

From; Penguin

Yeah. In another hour or so I'll be home. Get takeout. 
 

Chanyeol only frowned at his phone. He didn't want Kyungsoo to have to eat cold takeout when he came in. He headed for the laptop and pulled up a couple recipe sites, then went into the kitchen and took inventory to see what he could make, he had the ingredients to make a simple noodle bowl with beef, but he figured it would be okay. 

Setting the laptop on the counter glancing at the recipe and got to work, he burnt a couple things at first but managed to make something edible and filling, having it finished only minutes before he heard the door open and a tired Kyungsoo shuffle in.

But Kyungsoo shuffled right past the kitchen and into his room, without even a greeting to the large hybrid. The pride that came from cooking for his penguin faltered and stared at the bowls before he walked towards the bedroom, not bothering to knock and catching Kyungsoo halfway between work clothes and sleep clothes,  in a pair sweats that hung low on his hips as he ed his work shirt. Chanyeol didn't bat an eyelash at it, while Kyungsoo's face turned a bright red.

"Soo, you need to come eat when you're done changing."

"Yeol, I can't, I need to get to sleep so I can go into work earlier tomorrow. There's a deadline and even with the new hire, there's still not enough people in on this project... "

"Kyungsoo you need to eat..." Chanyeol's voice had a stern tone to it when he said the smaller man's name, effectively stopping his speech for a moment.

"I said I can't, Chanyeol. there's too much to do, Kyungsoo sighed and looked over at the hybrid and undid the last button, his tone far from pleasant as he spit out the next words. "and you're not my damn mother, so stop."

Chanyeol let out a low rumble. In any other situation, Chanyeol would have shaken his head and dropped it. For some reason, though, tonight there was this nagging voice in the back of his head telling him that Kyungsoo had to listen to him. no matter what.

Kyungsoo was looking at him with his brows furrowed when he looked up. "Did you just growl at me?"

Chanyeol was on him in a second, pinning Kyungsoo to the bed by his wrists as he straddled the smaller man. the low rumble coming out again.

"Yes," When Chanyeol's eyes caught Kyungsoo's the smaller man saw something in the depths of the warm chocolate color of the large hybrid's irises that he'd never seen directed at him before.

 It was something that told him he would listen to the hybrid, whether he wanted to or not. he wasn't used to being on the receiving end of such a look, but rather than getting angrier, he felt calm. 

calm and confused as he continued to watch the unmoving hybrid stare at him.

"Ch-chanyeol?" Kyungsoo suddenly felt breathless and flushed when he realized the position they were in.

"You need to eat... this isn't healthy."The hybrid's voice was deeper than usual and smoother than silk when he spoke again, as he slowly released Kyungsoo's wrists, his eyes running over the smaller body he had pinned. when he reached the edge of the bed, he sat back and took a deep breath, before standing and walking back to the kitchen, acting like nothing had happened.

Kyungsoo sat up partway, staring at the noticeable bulge in his pants as he let out a shaky breath he wasn't aware he was holding. He ran a hand over his face and tried to calm down. he wasn't supposed to have that reaction to being pinned to the bed by his hybrid. he should have been afraid, upset, angry.. anything, except . 

He threw himself back on the bed, gripping his own hair with a frustrated growl and a short burst of cursing that would have made anyone blush.


In the kitchen, Chanyeol wasn't fairing much better, walking awkwardly and ignoring the issue in his pants, until he tried to sit down, letting out a pained yelped when he smacked his semi- into the table. 

When Kyungsoo ran out of the bedroom to ask if he was alright, he just nodded and gave him a strained smile, sitting at the table, eating his noodles and trying to process what exactly he thought he was doing, pinning his owner down like that. 

Kyungsoo didn't say anything, however, as he ate the noodles greedily, the appreciative noises he let out making Chanyeol extremely uncomfortable and causing him to choke more than once.

When dinner was finished, the two men at the table looked up at the same time, catching each other's eyes.

The unspoken question of 'What was that?' was hanging in the air between them as they slowly got up and silently headed to their own rooms for the night.


 In Another City

"Taeil? Taeil?!" A cream colored tail flicked in annoyance as the cat hybrid loaded the last box into the back of the moving truck and slammed the gate shut, searching for the blonde haired man that was currently yelling at him from the house.

"What, is it? it better be important..."  his tail flicked against the wall with a thump. 

he was already annoyed that his caretaker had decided to pack up and move, but in the middle of the night no less... the cat sighed and set a hand on the taller blonde's shoulder. 

"Should we bring Chanyeol's things with us?"

"I thought she got rid of all his stuff?"

"I didn't let her get rid of his pictures and things. she snuck the rest out when I wasn't home, but I at least saved those..."

"Oh..well yeah, I mean you'll want them if we can't find him right?" the cat tilted his head as his caretaker looked at him.

"Didn't you say we'd find him?" the man raised an eyebrow at the cat hybrid.

"Oh come on, JiHoon, you know what I meant."

JiHoon gave Taeil a small smile and ruffled the hybrid's purple hair.

"Yeah, I know what you meant..."  

He grabbed the box of pictures and headed to the truck, handing Taeil the box before climbing in the driver side himself. 

"Well, this is it, Ready for an adventure?" he made sure the cat hybrid was buckled in, then put on his own seat belt, firing the truck up and backing out of the driveway of the house that held now spoiled memories before driving off into the distance, heading to the apartment he had just rented, a couple of towns over.

 


Mwahahahahahahaha. Gotta love the dominant hybrid instincts suddenly kicking in, and Soo coming to some realizations of his own. :P

I hope you all enjoyed this and let me just say.

OMG I LOVE YOU ALL! I wasn't sure how well this story would do, but you've all surprised me with the comments and subs and votes! Ah! I'm so happy!

That being said, my other story, YCCMM Is being put on Hiatus for a bit, because cleaning up the mess I turned it into is becoming more of a job than I originally planned on it being. This one will be continuing, though, and there is another fic in the works, for this same universe, that is actually going to be loosely connected to this and in the same universe :) 

Anywhos, I'm rambling, annnd yeah.

Until next time!

-Miki