Chap 3

Who am I to you?

 

The next evening, Amber and Luna met at the orphanage as promised.

Both of them are volunteering at the orphanage every Sunday after church.

They are on their way home when Luna's phone rang.

Luna happily flipped her phone open.

“Hello, Jongie ah..”

Amber knew it was Jonghyun who called her after hearing that nickname that Luna gave him.

Amber mind is on something when she notice Luna is walking ahead of her with her phone still sticking onto her ear.

Luna is crossing the road and Amber is about to cross it too when she she saw a car is speeding toward Luna without the girl  realizing it.

“Luna! Watch out!” With speed of light, Amber spring to Luna and pushed her to the side of the road before she feels a sudden pain and everything is pitch black.

Luna immediately recover from her shock as she saw her unnie lay motionless on the street with blood gushing out of her head.

“Unnie!? Amber unnie!? Help! Someone call the ambulance!”

“Oh my God! Let's get her to hospital quick!” The man who hit Amber panicked.

A crowd of people starting to gather around them as a few men help to carry Amber into the car to be send to the hospital.

“Luna!? Pumpkin!? What happen!? Are you still there!?” Jonghyun worried voice can be heard coming from Luna's phone that is lying on the street.

 

Key is surfing the internet when his phone rang.

“Hello? Key's here.” Key answer without looking at the caller ID.

“Key! You gonna come to the hospital now! There's an accident and Amber..”

When he heard the word 'accident' and 'Amber', Key immediately stuffed his phone into his pants' pocket and rushed down the stairs and out of the house to take a cab to the hospital .

Please God! Don't let anything happen to her! Key pray in his mind.

 

Once he reached the hospital, Key call Jonghyun again as he has no idea where Amber is.

Upon arrive, Key can see Amber's family, Sulli, Luna and Jonghyun sitting on the chairs provided.

All eyes are on him when he approached them.

Key can see that Sulli has been crying her eyes out.

“Oppa! Unnie..she..” Sulli broke down and Jackie comfort her.

“Jonghyun! What happen!?” Key immediately asked as he face his gloomy friend.

To his surprise, Luna answered for him.

“Unnie and I were crossing the road... And I'm all hook up with my phone that I..I don't realize a car is coming towards me. Unnie saw this and saved me but ended up being hit by the car herself... It's all my fault!” Luna throw herself into Jonghyun's chest and he hug her tightly as a respond.

“Luna, I'm sure Amber wouldn't blame you. If I were in her position, I'll also do the same thing.” Key tries to comfort her although his heart aches in pain.

“Oppa, I hope unnie will be fine. If not, I'll never not forgive myself!” Luna sobbed.

 

After an hour, the doctor came out.

“Doc, how's my daughter?”

“She had passed the critical condition. But it may take 2 or 3 days before she wakes up as her body is very weak due to the massive blood loss.”

Everyone sign in relief after hearing the doctor's statement.

“Can we see her?” Key asked.

“Sure, young man.”

 

Key watched as Mrs Liu crying pleading Amber to wake up.

Amber once rosy pink lips were now white and her face is pale as if the blood have been drained from it.

The next 2 days, Key stay behind to care for her and only go home to take shower and change his clothes.

Mrs Liu had fall sick and Mr Liu had to stayed home to take care of her.

Jackie and Sulli would take turn to accompany him and Donghae, Jessica, Minho and Krystal just visited them the day before.

That night, Key had fallen asleep while holding Amber's hands and Sulli is sleeping on the coach when he feels something moves.

He open his eyes to see Amber's fingers are moving slightly and quickly call the doctor over to check her.

He and Sulli are waiting outside Amber's room after calling Mr Liu when the doctor came out.

“She had regained her consciousness. You can talk to her now.”

“Okay. Thanks, doc.”

Key enter the room followed by Sulli and see Amber's eyes are wide open.

“Amber, how are you feeling?”

Silent.

“Unnie, don't scare us. Say something please?” Sulli is in the verge of crying seeing Amber's quietness.

“Amber?”

“Who are you?”

Sulli gasped.

“I'm Key. Don't you remember?”

“No. And who's Amber?”

“Sul, could you please call the doctor again?”

Sulli nodded and rushed out to find the doctor.

 

Mr Liu, Mrs Liu , Jackie, Sulli and Key is now in the doctor's room.

“Apparently, Miss Amber's brain had suffer a minor shock during the accident and had a temporary memory loss.”

“So, when will she regain it back, doc?”

“It's hard to tell. Maybe in a few weeks time or even months. And in the process, try not to stress her out coz her brain is very fragile right now.”

 

“Okay, let me get this straight. My name is Amber Josephine Liu , I'm 17 and an American-Taiwanese. I had a dad, a mom, an older sister, Jackie and an adopted little sister, Sulli.”

“That's right, dear.” Amber's mom clarify it for her.

“And who is he suppose to be?” Amber pointed to Key.

“Unnie, Key oppa is your..”

“..friend.” Key finished Sulli's word for her.

Everyone looked bewildered upon hearing Key's answer.

 

“Oppa, why do you said that you're just Amber unnie's friend?”

The Liu's family, Sulli and Key are eating their lunch at the hospital's cafeteria as Amber is sleeping soundly.

“I just don't want to stress her out as the doctor said. She'll eventually remember and I think it's best to not mention her past..when she was kidnapped.”

“Key, thank you for being so considerate. I'm happy Amber have such a good boyfriend..I mean friend.” Mr Liu stated.

“I'll inform the rest also.” After thatKey just eats his rice quietly.