Chapter 4

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

* * * * * *

As if time had suddenly stopped for them.

Hakyeon could not take his eyes off of Leo and for some reason, neither could Leo. It was the first time Hakyeon got to really take a good look at the other’s face.

He has heard rumors from his classmates and even the minister himself about Leo.

A handsome, tall, lean, sharp-faced boy with unique eyes that could pull you right in. A quiet and mysterious presence that makes you wonder what he is thinking about most of the time yet will never get the chance to know. That’s how others have described Jung Leo to Hakyeon until he actually got a chance to meet the person himself.

The first time was when Leo passed by at the gates where dozens of fangirls were screaming and crowding away. Hakyeon could only see Leo from afar at the time.

The second time was surprising to Hakyeon in which Leo came to find him instead. However, the first impression was the worst. After saying all those rude things and then leaving Hakyeon alone in the classroom, Hakyeon became too mad to even pay attention to Leo’s face or features.

And now the third time, seeing Leo so close to his own face, Hakyeon didn’t really know how to react except his heart kept on pounding nonstop.

Was it because of the fear from his fall? Or was it something else?

‘Are you okay?’ Leo finally broke the silence as he held onto Hakyeon’s smaller body closely after their fall.

‘Mhmm.’

Hakyeon could only nod. He doesn’t understand why his heart wouldn’t calm down like he wanted to and wished that Leo couldn’t feel his heart’s pounding.

Leo finally let go of Hakyeon after making sure that the latter was alright and the both sat up. Each making sure the other was not injured.

Leo stood up first and looked around for the missing pages of Hakyeon’s sketchbook. Hakyeon also tried his best to help look as well but from time to time, he kept glancing back at wherever Leo was.

What is wrong with me? Hakyeon asked himself as he clenched his heart. A little jab of pain could be felt. Am I sick? Get yourself together Cha Hakyeon.

* * * * * *

‘Sorry I couldn’t find all the pages.’ Leo apologized as he handed the sketchbook back to Hakyeon.

‘No. That’s fine. You protected me. I’m thankful for that.’ Hakyeon said. ‘Plus, I can always draw more.’

‘I can see why father put so much faith in you and your mother for the wedding though. Your sketches… they’re amazing. I don’t even know what else to say.’

‘Thanks.’ Hakyeon blushed a bit from the compliment.

Leo walked Hakyeon back into the mansion as the two continued with their conversation. For some reason, the usually quiet Leo was more talkative than usual when he was with Hakyeon. As if he found someone who could understand him and talk to him.

Leo was curious as to how Hakyeon became so passionate about flowers and event planning even though he himself had no paths as to what he wanted his future to be like. He has only agreed to marry early to please his father and for the sake of the family. He isn’t very enthusiastic about school either but has to study laws and politics for the family as well. There was so many things in which Leo excelled in but he could not understand what his main goals were. Unlike Hakyeon who clearly knew what he wanted.

Leo thought that maybe by talking with Hakyeon, he would be able to understand what it would be like to finding a path or future.

‘It’s strange. Talking with you. It seems like we can get along one way or another.’ Leo said to Hakyeon.

‘I think so too. Even though we really don’t have anything in common…’ Hakyeon scratched his head with a nervous laughter.

‘Can I … can we talk more later on? I find it easy to talk with you and you’re different from the others. I’m not really close with anyone in particular so it’s nice to finally find someone who can understand.’

Hakyeon was quite surprised at what Leo just said and almost couldn’t believe that the quiet and seemingly intimidating lion said something so… cheesy.

‘Um… if you don’t mind, I’m always here to listen I guess? That’s if you don’t mind though…’ Hakyeon replied.

‘Thanks.’

Leo smiled. It was so dazzling and warm that Hakyeon’s heart didn’t know what to do. It was almost too rare for anyone to witness or even get a chance to see it but it was different when Leo was with Hakyeon. Hakyeon got to see Leo’s smile and his heart in which he thought had finally calmed down, started to race again. Why?

* * * * * *

That night felt sleepless for Hakyeon. It wasn’t like his usual nights though. He did not stay up late at night planning or sketching in his notebook but rather, dreaming into the open space of his time with Leo. Leo’s smile kept flashing before his eyes.

‘Why won’t this beating stop already?’ Hakyeon asked himself once more while trying to calm his heartbeat by clutching onto it. But the throbbing did not stop.

Each time he thought back at the afternoon he had spent with Leo and being by Leo’s side, his heart would race again.

‘I can’t… no, I mustn’t.’

Hakyeon knows exactly why his heart was beating after thinking about it all night long but he also knew that it could have just been a sudden attraction. He’s felt this way before when he had a crush on the girl next door or his classmate that sat next to him during elementary school. But he was always too cowardly and too shy to confirm his attractions.

This time, his heart beaten for Leo as well, just like all his other crushes. However this time also, Hakyeon had his doubts and knew that there would not be any positive outcomes from it.

After all, Leo is a groom-to-be and Hakyeon is the one helping with the arrangements.

It’s okay. It’s just momentarily… it will go away.

* * * * * *

‘So you went to the minister’s again yesterday?’ Minhyuk asked.

‘Mhmm.’

‘How was it? Did you get to show him your ideas? What did he think of them?’

‘He liked them. But he also suggested to keep things simple rather than anything too fancy.’

‘Wow. He’s really different from the rest of the upper classes. I feel like I’m starting to look up to the man each time you talk about him.’ Minhyuk said. ‘By the way, did you get to meet the Leo yet?’

‘Huh? Yeah I did-‘

‘Hey! Hakyeon-ah! Someone is looking for you!’ One of Hakyeon’s classmate called out and interrupted them.

Minhyuk and Hakyeon turned around to see the most unexpected visitor standing there and looking for Hakyeon. Once again, Leo have come to find Hakyeon.

‘What the- why’s he looking for you?’ Minhyuk asked.

Hakyeon shrugged and went to meet with Leo to see what was going on.

‘You’re looking for me?’ Hakyeon said.

Leo nodded. ‘Come with me for a second.’

Leo grabbed Hakyeon’s wrist for the latter to follow but Minhyuk stopped them in their tracks.

‘Where are you taking him?’ Minhyuk asked in alarm as he was worried for Hakyeon.

‘I just need to borrow him for a bit. I’ll bring him back.’ Leo shot a rather frightening gaze at Minhyuk who had interrupted him. That caught both Minhyuk and Hakyeon off guard.

‘Don’t worry Minhyuk-ah. I’ll be back.’ Hakyeon reassured him and followed Leo out of the class.

 

 

* * * * * * A/N * * * * * *

There is a reason why Hakyeon's name is Hangul and Leo's name isn't :D