Chapter 22

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

Hakyeon froze by Taekwoon’s sudden question.

‘Do I know you?’ Hakyeon repeated Taekwoon’s question to make sure he wasn’t hearing things.

Taekwoon nodded.

‘As you know, I’ve lost my memories and coincidently came to this town. I don’t remember anything about who I am, where I’m from or anything about my family. But there are times when I feel like I can remember. Whenever I look at you, it’s like you have the answers to the questions that I’ve been looking for. I know you watch me from time to time as well. It’s like you want to say something to me but isn’t. Please, please tell me the truth. Do you know who I am?’

A thousand thoughts ran through Hakyeon’s mind. Should I tell him? Should I not? What do I do when he remembers everything? He doesn’t know what to do.

‘Well?’ Taekwoon persisted.

Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon one more time, the latter was lost and depressed. It must be so hard for him not to remember anything at all. Hakyeon can just imagine the struggles Taekwoon was going through. Then, he sighed.

‘Do you really want to know?’ Hakyeon asked.

Taekwoon nodded.

‘Even if it might trigger painful memories for you?’

‘Yes.’

Hakyeon took Taekwoon outside to a much quieter place to talk so that they wouldn’t be disturbed. The two found a spot near the riverbank and sat down underneath the shades.

‘I do know who you are. But let me ask you one more time, are you sure?’ Hakyeon asked.

‘I do. I think I have the rights to know everything about who I am.’ Taekwoon answered confidently.

Hakyeon took a deep breath.

‘Your real name is Leo. Jung Leo. You’re the youngest and only son of the minister of my hometown from Brampton…’

Hakyeon told everything to Taekwoon there is to know about Leo. He told the man that he went to serve the military six years ago and had sacrificed himself during the last battle of the war. Everyone back home thought that Leo had died already until Hakyeon and Amelia found him here again in Pinewoods. Hakyeon told Leo that him and Amelia are childhood friends and were almost married to one another. Leo’s father found Hakyeon and his mother to arrange for Leo’s marriage and therefore they met one another. They became friends and talked a lot since they were in school.

Hakyeon told Taekwoon everything he knew about Leo except for one thing…

He didn’t tell Taekwoon that Leo was in love with a boy named Cha Hakyeon, himself.

Instead, he only told Taekwoon that they were friends in high school.

‘I don’t know what to say. I can’t remember anything still.’ Taekwoon could feel a bit of throbbing in his head as he tried to recall the memories and stories in which Hakyeon just told him of.

‘I know it’s hard to accept it all at once but take your time. The war must have taken a big impact on you both physically and mentally. We all thought you had died but luckily you survived. I’m sure your family would be really happy to hear about it. Both Amelia and I were really shocked when we saw you though. You gave us quite a scare thinking we saw a ghost.’

‘But why didn’t you tell me right away that you knew who I was?’

‘I wasn’t sure. It was more than six years ago, since we last saw one another and people can tend to look alike someone else. Father showed me that you had a uniform earlier about when they first found you and that’s when I realized you were Leo.’

‘I see…’

‘Anyways, take your time with your memories. Don’t rush it. What matters is that you are alive.’ Hakyeon reassured him.

Taekwoon nodded in agreement but he felt as if something was still missing. It wasn’t just his memories that were missing but something else. But he didn’t know what it was except the empty feeling he felt inside. However, since Hakyeon said he told everything to him already, Taekwoon could only believe and trust the boy until he recovers his memories.

*    *    *    *    *    *

‘So, you told him everything except…’ Amelia sighed. ‘Seriously, Cha Hakyeon. You’re too much! Why can’t you just tell him the fact that Leo was in love with you!’

Hakyeon told Amelia that Taekwoon now knows that he’s also Jung Leo but Amelia was mad at Hakyeon for missing some of the most important details of his story.

‘I will! Eventually… I just don’t want him to remember too much at the same time!’ Hakyeon tried to explain.

Amelia looked at Hakyeon skeptically.

‘What? Don’t look at me like that! You’re scary when you’re angry you know that?’ Hakyeon flinched.

‘I wouldn’t be this angry if you just told Taekwoon everything already.’

‘I’m just doing this for his sake. Even after I told him of his past, Taekwoon still couldn’t remember anything about being Leo. He needs to take it slow.’

Amelia sighed.

‘And what if he never remembers? Are you planning on never telling him that he was a love-struck fool for you?’

‘…’

Hakyeon really don’t know what to do to be exact. One part of him really wants to rush to Taekwoon and hug him, tell him everything else but on the other hand, he didn’t want Taekwoon to remember everything. If Taekwoon doesn’t remember that Leo was in love with Cha Hakyeon then maybe, Taekwoon can finally move on and have a normal life and get married like a normal person in the future.

Just then, the telephone rang.

‘Hello?’ Amelia picked up. ‘Ken?’

Hakyeon snapped from his thoughts at hearing Ken’s name.

‘He’s here too. Huh?’ Wait one second. Hakyeon-ah, come here.’ Amelia called out.

Hakyeon went by to Amelia and both were listening to what Ken has to say to the both of them.

‘I have some news for the two of you and it’s urgent. The minister… he’s currently in critical condition and doesn’t have much time left. I need the both of you to come back to Brampton at once and bring Leo with you.’ Ken said in a serious tone.

‘How bad is his condition?’ Hakyeon worried.

‘He doesn’t have long. The doctors have tried everything but this is the only thing left. The only thing that’s holding the minister is the regret he had for sending Leo away to the military and thought that he pushed his own son to death. I don’t want the minister to leave with regrets so that’s why I want you two to bring Leo or Taekwoon or whoever back and at least let the minister see his son one last time. At the very least, he will know that Leo is still alive before his last breath.’

Hakyeon gulped hard and his eyes were watering from the news.

‘I understand.’ Hakyeon tried to hold back his tears. ‘I’ll bring Leo back.’

Hakyeon lost his father at an earlier age due to the very first war. He didn’t have much memories of his father and he had spent much time only with his mother. His mother told him of stories about his father but Hakyeon was never truly convinced at how great of a man his father was. But every since the first time Hakyeon met the minister, Leo’s father, and found out how great of a man he was, Hakyeon looked up to the minister as a fatherly figure. Especially during the six years when Leo was away, Hakyeon would often make trips to the minister’s mansion to look after him and talk with him. The minister shared many stories of Leo’s childhood to Hakyeon along with his own life and stories. The two of them great close to one another and Hakyeon looked up to the minister as a role model.

Upon hearing such news, Hakyeon could no longer dwell in hesitation. If the minister’s final wishes were to see his son, whether or not Taekwoon remembers anything at all, Hakyeon will bring Taekwoon back to Brampton no matter what.

*    *    *    *    *    *

‘You wanted to see me?’ Taekwoon asked.

‘Mhmm. I need you to come back with me to Brampton.’ Hakyeon replied.

‘Brampton? Your hometown?’

‘Our hometown. It is where you were born as well.’

‘But, I don’t remember anything about it still.’

‘It doesn’t matter. We need you back.’

‘What for?’

‘Your father, the minister, he’s about to die and the last thing we can help him move on without any regrets and to allow him to see his only son. It doesn’t matter whether you’re Jung Leo or Taekwoon, I just want the minister to be able to move on peacefully knowing that his son is still alive.’

‘… but I-‘ Taekwoon hesitated.

‘Please.’ Hakyeon pleaded.