Chapter 15

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

Dear Hakyeon,  

This is my first letter to you since I have left Brampton. How are you? Are you eating well? Sleeping well? I hope that you don’t stay up all night long doing your sketches like usual. I know it was sudden that both Ken and I have enlisted into the military and especially after my confession to you. I was so confident with myself that I didn’t really think about how you would feel. I’m sorry if I had forced myself on you but this is the first time I have ever felt this way about anyone. I honestly don’t remember when, but eventually you were all I can think of and before I knew it, my eyes would wander to your direction or listen to your voice.  

I have always admired your passion and courage, unafraid to pursue your dreams despite what others say. I’m also thankful that you have met people like Minhyuk or Hyuk who can stand by your side to support you. Truth be told, I’m envious and jealous that they’re the ones who knows everything about you whereas I still have so much more to learn about you. Whether or not you feel the same way as I do about you, I hope that you can consider my confession and give me a reply once I return. I’m willing to wait for you, no matter how long it takes, I’ll always wait for you.  

Jung Leo 

* * * * * * 

The very first letter was written by Leo a month after he and Ken have left to the military. Within the beautifully carved wooden box was more letters written by Leo to Hakyeon. It was as if each letter was written as the first and last letter from Leo because none of them was actually dated. Leo thought that one letter would’ve been enough time for him before his return but he never got the chance to send any of them out. 

Leo would stand there in front of the mailbox every day waiting in line for his turn to put the letter in the box while all his fellow soldiers have already sent theirs home. But something held Leo back from sending the letters to Hakyeon. He was afraid. Afraid that if he really sent it out, and if Hakyeon replied to his letters that he would eventually forget his duties and rush back home. He missed Hakyeon too much. 

Even without any dates on the letters, Hakyeon could tell when the letters were written. Leo wrote each and every single one of them as if like a diary to Hakyeon and telling the boy what he was doing or thinking of. As Hakyeon read the stashes of letters, his tears continued to fall. He wasn’t there with Leo during his time in the military but the stories that were written in the letter was very detailed, as if Hakyeon was by Leo’s side the entire time.  

Leo have ventured across the country during the war, one battle after another. It was hard and draining but the one thing that kept him on his feet was thinking of his crush.  

Aside from the letters that he wrote, Leo also placed dry flowers inside the box. They were flowers in which he discovered during his journey and hoped to be able to give it to Hakyeon, who loves to study flowers. Maybe the flowers that Leo found were ones that Hakyeon have never seen before? Just thinking of the delightful face Hakyeon would have when Leo hands them those flowers, made him very happy.  

The six years in which they were separated, many things have happened but no one would have predicted this outcome.  

Hakyeon wiped away his tears and held the box tightly to his chest. He embraced the gift preciously and thought about everything he wanted to say to Leo. 

‘I really love you Leo. I’m sorry I didn’t have the courage to tell you how much I love you when I could and now…’  

* * * * * * 

Hakyeon thought about it all night. What he could do to repay the kindness that Leo have left him. And he had decided.  

‘Are you really going?’ Minhyuk asked. 

Hakyeon nodded. 

‘But you’ve never been out of the city. You sure you’re going to be okay alone?’  

‘I’ll be okay Minhyuk-ah. Don’t worry about me. I just want to see it for myself. The places that Leo went during these six years and find the same flowers he found for me. There’s still so much in the world that I have yet to discover and I know that Leo would want me to discover it.’ Hakyeon said. 

Hakyeon had a new goal. With the boxes of flowers and letters that Leo left him, he wanted to revisit the journey that Leo took during the six years they were separated. Hakyeon told his mother his plans as well, and although she worried for him, she knew that nothing could hold her son back.  

‘Just be safe okay dear?’ She said. 

‘I will.’ Hakyeon hugged her. 

Hakyeon packed his belongings, just enough for a long journey and made his way to the minister’s mansion to bid farewell. These six years were painful for the minister, and even more painful when he found out his only son had passed away during the war. He was worried of such an outcome since the beginning but what could they do? They were from a family with a background that served the country for many generations. There was no backing out now. During these six years, Hakyeon would pay visits to the minister whenever he could to take care of him. The minister told Hakyeon stories about Leo’s childhood, their history and much more. The two became very close friends and having Hakyeon by his side, the minister felt more secured as if his son was next to him.  

Hakyeon felt a bit of guilt having to leave the minister but he had to do what he had to.  

‘Is the minister around?’ Hakyeon asked the butler. 

‘Yes he is. But he’s seeing a guest right now.’  

‘A guest?’ 

‘Yes. Someone from the military. He seems to be sent from the Capital.’  

‘I see. Then, I’ll wait here.’ 

Hakyeon was about to make his way to guestroom but saw Ken storming into the minister’s study room despite his injury. Hakyeon was worried and followed immediately. 

‘What do you mean traitor??! Say that again!’ Hakyeon could hear Ken’s angry voice yelling from the study room. 

‘I said what I said. This is an order from above.’ Another voice replied. 

‘Do you know how much he went through and sacrificed during this war? These six awful years?! He’s already dead goddammit! And you dare call him a traitor?!’ Ken’s voice roared. 

What’s going on? Hakyeon felt unsettled. 

‘Please calm down Ken. You’re still recovering.’ The minister’s voice could be heard but almost in a shaking tone.  

‘How can I be calm?! He’s calling Leo a traitor!’  

‘What?!’ Hakyeon shot through the door in surprise. ‘What… what do you mean Leo is a traitor?’ 

‘Who are you?’ A tall man glared at Hakyeon who stormed inside the room, interrupting their conversation. 

‘Hakyeon-ah!’ Ken went towards Hakyeon in worry. 

‘What’s going on Ken? What is this about Leo being a traitor?’ Hakyeon almost couldn’t believe what he was hearing. 

‘It’s just like you heard. Jung Leo is a traitor and the Capital have already placed an order to investigate the matter.’ The man said with his stern deep voice. 

‘Traitor, traitor, traitor. Is that all you can say Kim Ravi?!’ Ken shouted. ‘You know clearly that Leo can’t be a traitor! You served by his side for six goddamn years! How can you say things like this?!’  

‘Please, calm down-‘the minister fell back from his heart pain. One commotion after another was too much for his body to handle. 

‘Sir!’ Hakyeon and Ken rushed to assist the old man. 

‘Thank you Hakyeon-ah. Please, Ravi, I know what you are implying but please give us some time to prepare. Losing my son, our entire family still has to adjust to. Even if he is a traitor like you presume him to be…’ The minister was trying to calm himself and Hakyeon could feel the old man’s body shaking both from sorrow and frustration. 

‘Fine. I will come back another day but it won’t be long. I need to return to the Capital and report back to the officials as soon as possible.’ Ravi left the room. 

* * * * * * 

‘Please Ken. What is going on? And who was that guy?’ Hakyeon finally found time to speak with Ken after putting the minister to rest. 

‘That was Kim Ravi. Along with me and Leo, he was also a leader of one of the squads that we worked with during the war. He and Leo in particular was fighting side by side the entire time. He knows clearly how Leo is and yet he dared to say such things! Order this and orders that! Ugh! He pisses me off so much!’ Ken clutched his fist. 

‘But what’s this whole thing about Leo being a traitor?’ 

‘Apparently the higher officials are being suspicious of all the lost in battles we had during these six years especially because it felt like the enemies knew our every move. It’s as if they knew where our locations were and how to fight us the entire time. For some stupid reason, they’re thinking it is Leo who gave out the hints to the enemies and sold us out. Especially because he left by himself during the final movement to set off the traps without anyone of us backing him up.’  

‘But how can they think that? He sacrificed himself to save the country. How-‘Hakyeon could not believe it. 

‘That’s what I’ve been telling Ravi! But he won’t listen to me and he only knows how to wag his tail behind and listen to those from above!’ Ken was fuming inside but Hakyeon was also upset. 

The Capital have given an order to Ravi to investigate the matter and everyone that could be involved with Leo during these six years. It didn’t matter whether Leo was dead or not, an explanation must be given and he was willing to do anything in order to report back to those above him. Hakyeon could not leave the city now that such a thing has happened and he was worried about the minister’s condition even more. 

As calm as the minister was trying to be, he was obviously not alright. Hakyeon knew that the news of his son dead was already too much for the old man to handle and now, Leo was branded as a traitor too. Rumors have started going around the city and murmurs could be heard. Words have travelled that the dead Jung Leo, the minister’s one and only son, sold out the country which caused the war to last for six long years.  

Whether it was the truth or not, no one cared. 

* * * * * * 

‘How’s Ken holding up?’ Minhyuk asked during his visit to Hakyeon one day. 

‘He’s still mad. It seems like he’s been going to where that man is staying to argue and fight for Leo every now and then. Even though he should be staying at home to rest.’ Hakyeon sighed. 

‘That man? Ravi?’  

Hakyeon nodded. 

‘I still can’t believe people believe in those rumors when nothing is even confirmed! And we all know that Leo sacrificed himself to end the war. How can people be so stupid?!’ Minhyuk was irritated. 

‘I don’t know any more Minhyuk-ah. I really don’t.’ Hakyeon was tired. Days and days of hearing people talk bad about the Jung family and Leo, pained him too much that he forgot how to even be angry anymore. He was still sadden by losing Leo.  

‘Hakyeon-ah.’ Minhyuk said. 

‘Hmm?’ 

‘As I thought, you should get out of the city like you originally planned after all. There’s just too much going on and I can’t bear to see you stress out like this. You look more and more tired every day. You need to rest and leave this place.’ 

‘But-‘ 

‘You’re worried about the minister, I know. But there’s nothing you can do to help them out. Once they realize that there’s no evidence of Leo being a traitor, they will stop and go away eventually. I’ll keep you updated on their situation during your journey.’ Minhyuk assured. 

‘I don’t know…’ 

‘Hakyeon-ah. Listen to me. Go out there in the world and see it with your very own eyes. I know that’s what Leo would want you to do. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have gathered so much flowers and written so many letters to tell you what the outside looks like. Leave everything here up to me. If not, we still have Ken, Hyuk, Sungjae and even Hongbin. We’re all here to support you and also make sure Leo’s reputation doesn’t get ruined. Trust us.’ Minhyuk said determined. 

* * * * * * 

The man named Ravi was busy in his office at the hotel he was staying at during his investigation. But as busy as he was, he would always be interrupted by a hot-headed man named Ken.  

His doors were being knocked furiously and yelling could be heard from the other side. 

‘Dammit Kim Ravi! You open this door right now you hear me!?’ Ken shouted. 

Ravi sighed. 

‘Don’t you ever get tired of it?’ He opened the door. 

‘Not until you go back to where you came from and tell those old geezers that they suspected the wrong person!’ Ken stormed in furiously despite having only a single leg. 

Ravi held his arms to help him keep balance when he saw Ken was above to fall. 

‘Hands off!’ Ken shoved Ravi aside, refusing his help. 

‘Look. No matter how many times you come to me, there’s no use. I have a job to do and I can’t go back until I finish it.’ Ravi said. 

‘You! You know very well that Leo isn’t a traitor so why can’t you just scurry back home and tell them! Lie to them if you need to!’  

‘I can’t just go ahead and lie to them without any evidence okay? I know Leo isn’t a traitor.’ Ravi sighed. ‘But I have others watching my back as well and I can’t just go back empty-handed.’  

Ken tried to calm down.  

The three of them, Leo, Ken and Ravi were three of the closest friends and highly skilled lieutenants during the war. During the time, each of them would lead their own teams and specializing in their own skills. Leo was more of a technician, who was able to devise brilliant plans and look ahead of the plans for the squad. Ken was a strong lieutenant whose team was skilled in combat and Ravi, he was right in between the two cousins. He was quite irritated at Leo and Ken at first due to their family background and the favoritism the two had received but overtime, he saw that the two cousins did not only prove themselves worthy rivals but great friends as well.  

When Ravi returned to the Capital after the war and received an order to investigate Leo, even he was angry. But he knew that anger would lead nowhere. He had to carry out the order and head to Brampton for the investigation. As much as he wants to believe in Leo, he also needed proof that his friend was innocent.  

‘How’s your leg?’ Ravi asked Ken. 

Ken glared at him. 

‘Why do you care?’  

‘You really shouldn’t keep coming here in such a state. It’ll take forever for you to recover.’ 

‘I don’t care. I’ll keep coming here until you return to the Capital and tell those guys that Leo is innocent!’ 

Ravi scratched his head. ‘You’re really stubborn you know that?’  

‘So?’ Ken sulked.  

Ravi looked around to the room, he got off his seat and opened the door. 

‘What are you doing?’ Ken became curious. 

Ravi looked outside the door a few times to see if anyone was around. When he saw that there was no one on guard or nearby, he closed the door and locked it. 

‘I have something to tell you.’ Ravi said in a whispering yet serious tone. ‘But you must keep it a secret. Got it?’ 

‘Huh?’  

* * * * * * 

Hakyeon took a few nights to think of whether he really should leave Brampton like Minhyuk had suggested. He was worried about the whole situation at the Jung household but he knew he couldn’t help with anything. Hakyeon knows that Ken have already been doing all he could to prove Leo innocent despite his disability. But unlike Ken who has an influential background, Hakyeon has nothing.  

‘I want to leave but I just don’t know anymore.’ Hakyeon sighed aloud. 

Then the door knocked. ‘Hakyeon-ah?’ His mother called out to him. 

‘Yes? Come in.’  

‘You still haven’t slept?’ She asked. 

‘I can’t sleep.’ 

‘I know you have a lot on your mind. Maybe you should get out there and relax a bit?’ She suggested. 

‘I know. Minhyuk also said the same thing but…’ 

‘I won’t force you but you should think about it. Oh! And I received a letter just now that’s for you. Here.’  

She handed Hakyeon a letter before she left the room. 

A letter for me? From who? 

The envelope had a hint of citrus and pinecone scent to it. On the very top of the envelope wrote ‘Hakyeon.’  

Hakyeon could not recognize the writing from the envelope and decided to carefully unseal the letter. 

To Hakyeon’s surprise, the letter was written from Amelia. 

To Hakyeon, 

How are you? It’s been so long since we have last talked and so many things have happened during the time since I have left the city. I have been in touch with Ken for a while now and he has told me everything that has happened thus far. I’m very sorry for everything and I really hope you feel better. I know how Leo feels about you. In fact, he’s consulted with me a few times before because he wasn’t sure if what he felt about you was love.  

I just want to write to tell you that you shouldn’t be too sad and make sure to get enough rest and be healthy. I’m sure that’s what Leo would want as well. I am currently resided in a nearby village up north called Pinewoods. It’s a very lovely little town that runs along a river before the hills. If you ever get the chance to, please come visit me.  

From Amelia Valentines.  

* * * * * *