Chapter 17

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

* * * * * *

Hakyeon never would have thought that he would ever go outside of the city where he grew up in. Brampton was his home, his beloved place that he belongs in and everyone he loved was there as well. There was no where else he would wish to be more than back home yet here he was, in the middle of nowhere and with only a single map and backpack with him.

‘Let’s see… Amelia said that the town is a bit north from this forest right?’ Hakyeon was talking to himself and trying to make sense of his surroundings while tracing his fingers on the map.

Ever since the first letter that Amelia had sent to him back in Brampton, Hakyeon have been exchanging letters with her and telling her of his possible visit. It took him awhile to finally decide to pass by the town where she was staying in though. He got lost quite a few times during his journey, trying to follow Leo’s footsteps with the box of letters that he left Hakyeon. Within the letters, Leo never specifically mentioned where he went to except for descriptions of the sceneries he came across. But nonetheless, Hakyeon was thankful for the letters that Leo had left behind. If it weren’t for that, Hakyeon would have never discovered so many wonderful places during his trip that his entire sketchbook was running out of space for any more drawings.

Hakyeon stumbled up north of the country and came across a forest that was rather intimidating to even peek through. He was following a stream that he found, hoping that it would eventually lead him to where he needed to be. The birds were chirping cheerfully and the autumn colors of the wood were beautiful. If only the trees didn’t tower over Hakyeon, he would most likely have wandered inside to see what awaits him from deep within.

‘Follow the stream up north and past this forest… Okay, let’s get back on track.’ Hakyeon shook his head from being too distracted and continued his walk.

After an hour of walking up the stream, he finally heard sounds coming from ahead. Sounds of people and possibly the place where he was hoping to find. He could see a small little town separated by the stream and surrounded by greens. Beyond the town was a hill that was currently covered with red autumn leaves that fell from the trees. As he continued to walk closer into the town, he finally saw other people running, walking, and chatting amongst themselves. It was a lively little place and Hakyeon could feel his heart beat with excitement.

‘Um, excuse me? What is this town called?’ Hakyeon stopped one of the locals to ask.

‘Are you a traveller? Welcome to Pinewoods!’ The happy local replied, excited to see an outsider.

Hakyeon smiled. This was the place.

‘Um, do you know where I can find the Pinewoods Bakery here? My friend is living there and she mentioned that it’s the only one in this town.’ Hakyeon asked.

‘Of course! It’s a famous little place here. If you follow this path and turn right, you should be able to find it. The place is always emitting a delicious smell so just follow the scent and you should be able to find it. Enjoy your stay!’

‘Thank you!’

Hakyeon was pleased to know that the locals of this town were friendly and rather lively. He was worried for a second that he would be too foreign or unwelcomed in this town. Just like the local pointed him, Hakyeon followed the path and immediately, his nose caught the smell of baked goods coming from a distance.

That must be where Amelia is! Hakyeon followed the delicious scent and could feel his stomach grumbling away.

He finally stopped in his tracks as he stumbled upon a small shop where the smell was emitting from.

A little shop covered with off-white bricked walls, a small wooden porch and windows that displayed delicate baked goods and cakes. Right above the door was a hand-written sign that said ‘Pinewoods Bakery.’ Just from the sign alone, Hakyeon could tell that the shop had many decades or even hundreds of stories and history behind it as the paint from the letters was covered over and over again.

Hakyeon carefully opened the door and looked around him. It was a small shop but it was the perfect size for such a cozy little town.

‘Welcome- Hakyeonie?’

It was Amelia’s voice and Amelia herself. It has been so long since Hakyeon has seen her and yet, she really hasn’t changed much at all except now, she had shorter hair.

‘Hi Amelia! It’s been so long!’ Hakyeon greeted her.

‘You bet! I’m glad you found this place and not get lost.’ She chuckled.

The same smile and laughter as the young Amelia when Hakyeon first met her. Just seeing her again brought him back to so many memories.

‘Actually, I did get lost but nonetheless, I found you.’ Hakyeon almost too shy to admit. ‘I’m just glad there’s only one bakery in this town or else I don’t know how else I would find you.’

‘This place has a lot of history and stories behind it. Nothing can replace this shop, at least that’s what the old owners used to say. So how are you?’

‘I’m good. Just a little tired. It was a lot further away from the woods than you mentioned in the letter though.’ Hakyeon pouted.

The two of them finally found a spot to sit down at the livingroom. The bakery wasn’t just a shop but is also Amelia’s home.

‘Where is she?’ Hakyeon asked Amelia.

‘If you’re talking about Haerin, she’s just out to do some errands. She’ll be back soon. I can’t wait until you meet her.’

Haerin, as mentioned in Amelia’s letters, was Amelia’s love and classmate whom eloped with Amelia six years ago during the wedding. Hakyeon has never met her before but through Amelia’s letters, she talked greatly of her loved one.

‘How did you two end up operating this bakery though? The both of you are still considerably new in this town don’t you think?’ Hakyeon asked curiously.

‘One thing happened after another and the old owner brought us in. Although he’s passed away now due to old age, he decided to continue this shop by handing it to the two of us. He doesn’t have any offspring so he was in quite a dilemma whether or not to sell it to someone else until we came along.’

‘I see. Well I guess it’s all fate.’ Hakyeon said and his stomach started to growl.

‘Haha. You must be hungry. Wait here while I get you something to eat.’ Amelia noticed and got up to the kitchen.

‘Thanks.’

As Hakyeon waited at the living room for Amelia to return with food, he glanced around the room and saw many pictures hanging on the walls. Much were of the previous owners and families that lived here at the bakery, some were of customers, tourists and more. There was even drawings that seemed like they were drawn by children that was framed and placed on the shelves. Even a strange drawing of a door was pinned on the wall.

Hakyeon could not really make sense of all the pictures he saw but each and every single one of them must be important to this shop. Just how old is this place? He wondered.

* * * * * *

After lunch, Amelia cleaned up one of the guestrooms for Hakyeon to stay in. Once Hakyeon had settled down with his belongings, Amelia suggested in showing Hakyeon around town and he gladly accepted the offer.

‘Everyone is really lively here aren’t they?’ Hakyeon said.

‘Mhmm. It’s a small town and everyone knows one another.’

‘I saw a mansion up the hills, is that where the mayor lives?’ Hakyeon asked.

‘Used to live. I heard a long time ago, there was a mayor that governed this town but something happened to his family and he disappeared. So the town is back to governing itself but it works out since everyone is already like family here.’

‘I see. It must be nice, everyone is so friendly here.’

‘I can’t agree more. I was worried at first when Haerin and I came. After all, our relationship isn’t that favored upon when it comes to the big cities but everyone in this town didn’t mind and they welcomed us happily.’

Hakyeon was relieved to hear that Amelia have found a new and accepting home. A place where she could be herself and be with the one she loves. True, she no longer has the riches and status as how she did back in Brampton but it was obvious that Amelia was a lot happier in this small town than in the big city.

‘Amelia!’ A girl’s voice was calling to them. Hakyeon could see a girl running up to meet them.

‘Haerin! What’s wrong? You’re completely out of breath.’ Amelia said.

‘Nothing. I just saw you took a break from the shop and was wondering where you were- who’s this?’ Haerin caught a glimpse at the boy next to Amelia.

‘Ah! This is Hakyeonie. The one I told you about before.’

‘Hello.’ Hakyeon bowed, he was finally able to meet the one who stole Amelia’s heart.

‘Hello.’ Haerin bowed back.

‘You’re earlier than usual today. How’s everything at the orphanage?’ Amelia asked.

‘There’s a new music teacher they recruited recently so classes ended earlier than usual so that the children can meet the teacher.’

Haerin took a job at the orphanage as a cooking teacher and also showed the children how to bake and sew.

‘I see. Didn’t you mention that he came in a few weeks ago?’

‘Yeah. The locals found him floating unconscious by the river and nursed him. When he finally woke up, they realized he had a natural talent with music so Father suggested that he could teach the children there in exchange for his stay.’

‘That’s good. At least all works out.’

‘Mhmm.’

Along with Haerin, Amelia showed Hakyeon around town and introduced him to the locals. Immediately, everyone knew of the new visitor and treated the boy with care. They even told him that if he had any questions or need anything, he could ask any of them without hesitation. Though he has never been to this town before, he felt strangely familiar here and didn’t feel foreign at all. His heart was at ease and he was glad that the locals welcomed him so warmly.

* * * * * *

After dinner, Hakyeon retreated to his new bedroom. The room was smaller than the one he had back at Brampton but it was still cozy. It wasn’t like he needed any extra space since he wasn’t planning on staying in Pinewoods for too long. He only wanted to visit Amelia and see how she was doing. Hakyeon plans to stay another week before he decides where to head to next.

He took the chair out and sat by the desk with the lantern being the only thing that lit the room. It was bright enough for him to see and get around the small space though. Hakyeon carefully took out his sketchbook and opened it to reflect on his journey during the past few months.

He never really took the time to flip back at his drawings during the journey and now he’s finally found the time to do so. As he looked back at every one of his sketches that he drew, he almost couldn’t believe all the places he went to in such a short amount of time. He also met many different people along the way and heard about their stories. Some were happy and some were sad. Some even told Hakyeon what it felt like during the six years of war for them as they hid scared in their homes, afraid for their lives. If these citizens were in such fear from just hiding, how did Ken or Leo feel while fighting in the frontline and trying to defend their country?

Hakyeon was indeed sad and heartbroken when he heard of Leo’s death but what made him forget the sadness was hearing that someone was accusing him of being a traitor. How could anyone do such a thing to Leo who sacrificed himself and died at such a young age?

Hakyeon hoped that somewhere along his journey and the hundreds of stories he heard, that he would find evidence to defend Leo’s bravery and all that he had done for the country to prove the latter’s innocence. Indeed he found some.

Many citizens along the coast of the country recalled the brave groups of soldiers led by a young leader who may have seemed cold on the outside but was actually well respected from everyone else and treated everyone with a caring heart. It was obvious whom they were talking about the more Hakyeon heard their tales.

Hearing the war stories along his journey, Hakyeon was proud of all that Leo had accomplished and wished that the latter knew that he didn’t sacrifice himself for nothing. He saved many lives with his bravery and even Hakyeon himself felt as if he could see Leo’s image, commanding his troops and defending those around him.

‘Hakyeonie? Are you asleep?’ Amelia knocked on the door.

‘Not yet. Is something the matter?’ Hakyeon closed his book and opened the door for her.

‘I was just wondering if you have any plans tomorrow? Haerin said she wanted to bake some bread for the children at the orphanage before lunchtime. Do you want to come and help us out?’ She suggested.

‘Sure! It’ll be my pleasure.’

* * * * * *

‘Sorry if I wasn’t much help back in the kitchen,’ Hakyeon was a bit embarrassed with his lack of cooking skills.

‘That’s not a problem. Your drawing on the cookies was adorable. I’m sure the children will love it.’ Amelia smiled as the two carried the baked goods toward the orphanage.

‘The children at the orphanage were gathered from all of the nearby towns. Since the other towns didn’t have a proper place for them to settle, our Father at the church decided to make the building an orphanage and take in those children. I think it’s a wonderful idea and I’m glad they have a place to go to.’ Haerin said as she led the two to the church.

Hakyeon nodded.

‘Well, here we are! Let’s bring these to the lunchroom and call the children in afterwards.’ She suggested.

‘Sounds good.’ Amelia replied.

Just then, a tune of the piano could be heard, coming from within the building. A strangely sad and familiar tune.

Thump.

Hakyeon’s heart responded to the enchanting melody coming from within the church.

‘They must be having music class right now. Let’s go in and watch. I’ll introduce you two to the new music teacher as well.’ Haerin led them.

Both Hakyeon and Amelia followed Haerin inside the large church building after placing the food in the lunchroom. As the song grew louder and closer, Hakyeon could feel his body trembling.

What’s going on? He clenched his heart that beat along with the song. This song sounds so familiar…

 As they quietly entered the church, they could see a crowd of children standing around a large wooden piano. Their faces were just as enchanted to the music as both Hakyeon and Amelia was. Whoever was playing the tune was amazing. It was as if the music the person played could pull people in instantly and make them forget everything.

‘Such a beautiful melody,’ Amelia commented.

Hakyeon nodded. He was too enchanted to say anything at all except to be thankful for this very song.

‘What’s wrong Hakyeon?’ Amelia looked at Hakyeon whose eyes suddenly started to tear up.

His own tears took him by surprise and he tried to wipe it away.

‘I don’t know… I just can’t help it.’ He said while still trying to resist his tears from falling.

Then, the song finished and the children finally broke away from their silence and clapped with enthusiasm.

‘Seems like it ended. Com’on! I’ll introduce you to the new teacher.’ Haerin pulled the two of them towards the crowd.

‘Miss Haerin!’ The children caught sight of their favorite cooking teacher.

‘Hello everyone. How’s class today?’ Haerin asked them.

‘It was fun!’ They answered happily.

‘That’s great. It seems like our new teacher here has really grabbed all your attention. Come, Amelia and Hakyeon. Let me introduce you to our new music teacher.’

As Amelia and Hakyeon walked closer to see the face of the new music teacher, Hakyeon suddenly felt his heart stop. Even Amelia froze in her tracks.

‘You…’ Amelia fell silent in surprise.

The music teacher got up from his seats and got a good look at the two visitors.

‘Amelia, Hakyeon, this is our new music teacher. Mr. Taekwoon.’ Haerin introduced the two of them to him.

‘Hello. My name is Taekwoon. It’s nice to meet you.’ He said as he put his arms out to Hakyeon, waiting for a handshake.

‘Taekwoon...?’ Hakyeon was still trying to make sense of the situation and the new teacher’s face.

But you look just like him… just like Leo…

 

* * * * * * A/N * * * * * *

Happy Chinese New Years! Double update today as a celebration. 

Now do you guys know why he's Leo and not 'Taekwoon' since the beginning kekeke ~ 

Hope you guys enjoyed the double chapter update!