Chapter 16

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

Hakyeon have been thinking for a few days of whether to leave Brampton or not but after receiving Amelia’s letter, he finally made up his mind.

‘Here’s your tea. Careful it’s hot.’ Ken brought Hakyeon the porcelain cup.

‘I should’ve gotten it myself.’ Hakyeon felt apologetic for making Ken, who was walking with a cane to serve him the drink.

‘Don’t worry about me. You’re a guest here and I should serve it to you. The more you help me because of my situation, the more useless it makes me feel.’ Ken smiled to reassure Hakyeon that he was doing alright.

‘Does it hurt? Your legs…’

‘Not anymore. The wounds have already healed up and the doctor have already removed all of the stitches. It’s just a bit… unsettling to look at. Haha…’

Hakyeon shivered at the thought but seeing as how Ken was holding up alone despite going through so much awful memories and pain, Hakyeon knew that pity was the last thing Ken would want.

‘So what did you want to talk to me about?’ Ken asked.

‘That’s right. About Leo’s investigation… how is it going? Have you heard any news about it?’

‘… Just a bit but don’t worry. I got a bit too hot headed awhile back with Ravi but he isn’t a bad person. He has a lot on his plates to handle as well and he believes that Leo is innocent just like us. But we need proof first.’

‘I see. You trust this Ravi person a lot don’t you?’

‘Not me. Leo was the one who trusted him the most during the war and my cousin has always been good at judging people so if he trusts Ravi, so will I.’

‘That’s a relief. Ken, I’m thinking of going on a journey.’

‘A journey?’

Hakyeon nodded.

‘Mhmm. So much as happened these past couple of weeks after your return and my mind has been all over the place. I think I need some time to relax, to think and to move on. That box that you gave me, the one that Leo left behind, inside were a variety of flowers he found for me during his journey over the past six years. I want to revisit those places he went to. There were some species of flowers I have never seen before and I want to study them.’

‘That sounds like a great idea. I agree that too much has happened lately as well. Even I want to take a break but there’s still a few matters I must attend to first. When are you leaving though?’

‘Most likely next week. I had planned to go on the journey for a while now but after hearing the news about Leo’s passing but then, the whole investigation thing… I got worried and felt bad about leaving so suddenly. But it isn’t as if I can help either even if I chose to stay…’

‘Don’t worry about it. Ravi and I will figure everything out and keep you posted. We can exchange letters or telegrams during your journey. I promise you that I will definitely get to the bottom of this whole mess and clear Leo’s name.’

* * * * * *

Hakyeon looked at his room one last time before he finished packing up his belongings. There wasn’t really much to pack in the first place. Only his sketchbooks, a few drawing supplies and a set of clean clothes to change into.

This room was where all his dreams were made and drawn. Dreams that he hid for so long in this single small space but it was comfortable and he felt the most free to express himself. But now, he finally made plans to venture out and discover the world with his very own eyes.

Maybe there’s something out there in the world waiting for him to discover it?

He bid his mother farewell one last time and asked Minhyuk and Hyuk to help look after her while he was away.

‘Stay safe and keep in touch okay?’ Minhyuk said.

‘I’ll miss you hyung!’ Please write lots to us!’ Hyuk dashed to give Hakyeon a hug.

‘You’ve grown so tall Hyogi-ah. You’re squishing me. But I guess no matter how much you’ve grown, you really can’t change the fact that you’re still just a kid. I hope that the next time I return, you will still be the same okay?’ Hakyeon couldn’t help but tiptoe to ruffle the younger boy’s hair.

‘I won’t. I promise!’

Hakyeon left his tiny neighborhood and decided to pass by Brampton Academy one last time. It was a place where he spent most of his precious memories at.

He wasn’t able to graduate with neither Leo or Ken since the two of them were away during the war but Hakyeon have always imagined what it would have been like if Leo was by his side the entire time. He would imagine the smile on Leo’s face when he tells Hakyeon ‘Congratulations Hakyeon-ah. We’ve both finally graduated. I’m glad to be here with you at this very moment,’ and would shower Hakyeon with a bouquet of beautiful blue irises or roses. Sometimes, Hakyeon would imagine his future with Leo if he were to have accepted the latter’s bold confession in the first place.

Hakyeon could feel a tingling pain in his chest for all the bittersweet memories he has made during his high school years. Each was so precious and memorable to him that he would not ask for anything more.

And with a final glance of the large city he was born and raised in, Hakyeon walked pass the gates to venture outside of the city.

* * * * * *

Several months have passed since Hakyeon have left Brampton.

‘How’s the investigation going?’ Ken asked.

‘I’m almost there. It’s just as I had suspected, those guys were probably the ones behind this whole thing.’ Ravi and Ken was discussing an important matter between the two of them at Ken’s mansion.

‘If what you say is true, then we need to catch the culprits as soon as possible. If they catch onto the fact that we’re investigating them, they might try to run away.’

‘I won’t let them. Not when they think that making the dead to become some sort of scapegoat for their crimes. I won’t allow it and I will definitely catch them with my very own hands.’

The door knocked.

‘Hey. How are you two?’ Minhyuk came by for a visit.

‘We’re fine. Is there something you need?’ Ken asked.

‘Nothing much. Hakyeon sent us a letter and I thought you might want to read it as well. It’s fine if you don’t want to read it though. You obviously have more important matters to attend to.’ Minhyuk pretended to walk out of the door.

‘Wait! Wait! Hakyeonie is more important. One second Ravi, we’ll continue the talk later okay?’ Ken dashed after Minhyuk and tried to take the letter to read for himself.

Ravi sighed. ‘It’s fine. We can discuss this another time. Just watch where you’re running. You could trip and fall and-‘

‘Hush. You worry too much okay? Stop worrying already or else you’re going to have wrinkles on your forehead before me.’ Ken said.

‘Were the two of you talking about the report again?’ Minhyuk asked.

Ken nodded.

Ken and Ravi told everything that they were investigating to Minhyuk as well as Hongbin and Hyuk.

Ravi had suspected that the true culprits behind leaking information to the enemies during the war was someone else. Someone who was within the Parliament and had major influences in the army. They had a few leads on who it could have been and the more they investigated into the matter, the angrier they became. The actual traitor used Leo, who sacrificed himself for the country, and ruining his reputation just because the dead can’t come back to deny the false rumors.

They didn’t want to tell Hakyeon what they were investigating especially when they didn’t have enough evidence to prove Leo’s innocence yet. They also knew that Hakyeon had already been very depressed about Leo’s death and didn’t want to worry the boy any further. Instead, they wanted to give Hakyeon the good news so that at least there’s one thing that could cheer their friend up.

‘Well? What does the letter say?’ Ken couldn’t wait to hear all about Hakyeon’s adventures.

During the past several months since Hakyeon left, the boy have been sending them letters and sketches about where he visited and all the many beautiful landscapes he found. Each was exciting and many stories were told. Although Ken marched around the country during the six years he was away, the time he spent during his journey was tiring and stressful. Not knowing when they might run into an enemy or when they might get ambushed while they were asleep. So, hearing Hakyeon’s stories was an exciting and new experience for him.

‘Calm down. Let me read…’ Minhyuk said.

To my dear friends in Brampton,

            How are you all lately? It’s been awhile since my last letter as I was moving from one town to another. I have seen so many wonderful places during these past several weeks and can’t wait to tell you guys all about it when I get back. Just the other day, I came across an entire field of sunflowers along my travels. While sitting in the middle of the field of flowers, I felt as if my mind was finally stress free and relaxed. I haven’t felt so calm in so long. I’m glad that I decided to have this trip. There’s just so much in this world waiting for me to discover.

            My next stop is the town where Amelia told me that she is currently staying. The town’s name is ‘Pinewoods.’ A rather strange name for a town but apparently it is a well-known little village that has many histories of fishery and forestry. The town not only runs along a stream but is surrounded by an enchanting forest and greenery. I can’t wait to see it for myself. I will write back to you all once I have settled down and find Amelia. I know that Ken would love to hear what she has been up to as well.

‘Wait. Where did he say he was going?’ Ravi interrupted them.

‘Huh? Let’s see... a place called Pinewoods.’ Minhyuk answered.

‘I told you about it before. Our childhood friend Amelia lives there now.’ Ken said.

Ravi looked rather concern.

‘What’s wrong?’ Ken noticed.

‘… Actually, I don’t know whether to believe it or not but one of my messengers passed by that town and saw someone there.’ Ravi said.

‘Saw who?’ Ken questioned.