Chapter 21

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

As the two was exiting out of the forest, the sun began to rise from the distance and they could see the light peaking through the hills. Hakyeon was still being carried on Taekwoon's back and the entire trip back, he was trying so hard to not let the latter hear the rapid beating of his heart. 

Taekwoon was Leo but at the same time, he wasn't. Hakyeon was also a bit skeptical at times with Taekwoon because there are times where he was exactly like Leo but also times, completely different. Hakyeon couldn't tell whether his heart was beating for Leo or for Taekwoon. All he does know at the moment is how thankful and relieved that the person who came to his rescue was someone of familiarity.

'Thanks.' Hakyeon mumbled.

'You've been thanking me non-stop since we got out of that cave.' Taekwoon laughed a bit. Hakyeon was a bit surprised that the latter could hear his quiet voice. He was trying to pretend to be asleep but how could he sleep when his heart keep beating so loudly?

'But, I have to! You don't even know how scary it was in there and having no way to get out! I seriously thought I was done for.' Hakyeon exaggerated a bit.

'You'd be fine.'

'Huh? How can you be so sure?'

'... because I wouldn't let anything happen to you. I'd do anything to find you.' Taekwoon assured him.

'But why would you,' Hakyeon doubted. 'You barely even know me...'

'I don't know. But when I thought that something could have happened to you while I took my eyes away off of you... I just panicked. It was a scary thought and even I don't really know how to explain it.'

Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon a bit, stared at the latter who wasn't supposed to be Leo anymore yet, the words he spoke of and the reassurance that he was giving to Hakyeon, sounded just like Leo. Just when Hakyeon thought of giving up, Taekwoon's words moved him and made his heart waver once more.

It can't be that he's remembering me.... About me... about us...

Hakyeon buried his face against Taekwoon's back and pretended to fall asleep but actually, his tears were falling from remembering this feeling he once had.

*    *    *    *    *    *

Though Hakyeon thought that by pretending to be asleep, Taekwoon would not notice his tears, Taekwoon did notice them. The tears of the boy seeped through his shirt. Was Hakyeon that afraid of what happened earlier? Or was it something else that was making the boy cry in such silence? Taekwoon really doesn't know why but seeing Hakyeon this fragile, only made him want to protect the boy even more.

'Hakyeon-ah!!' Amelia stormed out of the bedroom as soon as she heard the entrance open and Hakyeon on Taekwoon's back. 'Where were you? What happened to you?!'

'Sorry Amelia, I got lost and trapped in the forest...' Hakyeon apologized for making Amelia and Haerin worry all night long and even spend the night looking for him.

'Why would you wander off so far alone? Gosh! I was so worried about you!' Amelia hugged Hakyeon tightly the moment he got off Taekwoon's back. She was very worried about the boy and had to reassure herself that her friend has finally returned safely.

'Sorry.'

'Well, we're just glad that you're back. Thank you Taekwoon-ah, for finding Hakyeon but how did you find him? In the middle of nowhere on top of that.' She asked.

'It was just a coincidence. I'm just glad I was able to bring him back safely.' Taekwoon answered calmly.

'Thank you.'

'You sound like my mom, Amelia.' Hakyeon said.

'You are now in my town and under my care. I am in full charge your guardian Hakyeon-ah. If anything happens to you, what will I say back to everyone in Brampton and Le-..,' Amelia stopped, looked at Taekwoon and didn't continue. 'Anyways, you're now under my care and I have to make sure you're safe.'

Hakyeon was thankful to see Amelia again. She was a great friend indeed.

'I am going to return back to the orphanage now. I was out all night so I'm sure Father will be worried. Please rest well.' Taekwoon said and finally left the shop.

As Hakyeon saw Taekwoon walk out of the door, a rush of reminiscence and nostalgia hit him.

'Something must have happened between you two. What happened? Just take a look at yourself! Are you in love again Hakyeonie?' Amelia teased Hakyeon now that the boy is back home safely.

'That's what I'm afraid of...' He answered, which was not the reply Amelia was expecting. The usual Hakyeon might get flustered and deny the teasing. 'Amelia, I'm worried... that the Leo inside of Taekwoon remembers me.'

'What do you mean?' She asked, confused.

'Earlier when Taekwoon found me, he said things about how he was worried and got scared that I disappeared. He mentioned that he wouldn't let anything happen to me and would do anything to protect me... but he and I should have be associated long enough for him to feel that way for me. We barely even talk and all I try to do is avoid him whenever we see each other because I don't want him to remember... but the way he talk and sounds to me, it was just like Leo. Yet, even he doesn't know why he acts the way he acted. He doesn't remember anything.

'Then, he must be remembering his feelings for you when he was Leo then! Maybe something about your existence and just the sight of you is triggering his memories again.'

'That's what I'm worried about. I've been trying so hard to avoid it this entire time...'

'Hakyeon-ah. You can't fool something called fate. It's a lot stronger and stranger then you think. You should've seen it back then, the first time Leo talked about you to me. He has never been so invested in anyone before. He has never fallen in love before yet when he did, when he fell in love with you, he became so alive. The Leo I knew was just a boy who couldn't care about anything in the world and just let the world form around him. He had no paths and even if he did, he couldn't take it. But after he met you, after seeing how inspirational you have become in his life, he became much more happier and more positive about everything. You shouldn't underestimate Leo's feelings for you. They're definitely a lot stronger and more persistent than you think.' She assured him.

Is Amelia right after all? If Hakyeon's existence and just the sight of the boy are triggering Taekwoon's memories as Leo, maybe Hakyeon should just let fate play its part...

*    *    *    *    *    *

After a few days of resting at the bakery, Hakyeon was able to move freely again. The past few days however, Taekwoon did not come visit him even once despite the fact that he was so worried. From what Haerin was saying is that Taekwoon have become busier at the orphanage and also being involved with the town's upcoming festivities.

So instead, Hakyeon decided to take initiative to see the children at the orphanage as an excuse to see what Taekwoon was really up to. There was also something else he wishes to confirm before he makes his final decision.

Hakyeon made his way to the orphanage and was in search for Taekwoon's class. As he passed down the long corridors of the orphanage, he heard singing and music from outside. He looked out the window and saw Taekwoon with his class. Taekwoon was singing along with the children happily under the blue sky.

Not only are you good at playing the piano but singing too? Just how much more perfect can you get... Hakyeon sighed with a bit of envy.

'The children here have really grown fond of Taekwoon,' an old man appeared suddenly behind Hakyeon.

'Father!' Hakyeon jumped in surprise.

'Shhh. I heard you got lost and disappeared a few days ago. How are you feeling?' The Father asked.

'I'm doing fine now. Sorry I couldn't come to teach the children.'

'That's all right. What matters is that you're safe.' He smiled delightfully and happily that his eyes crinkled underneath.

'Thank you. It's all thanks to Taekwoon though. He was the one who found me.'

'I know. That boy was so worried when he realized that you were gone. You should've seen how panicked he was. I was quite surprised to see such an expression from him.'

'I didn't think he would either... Father, I'd like to ask you a few questions regarding to Taekwoon.'

'Oh?'

'I... I know who he is but I want to confirm with you first.'

'You do? I understand. Come inside my office and we can talk.'

*    *    *    *    *    *

'What did you want to ask me about Taekwoon?' The Father and Hakyeon sat down at the office.

'When you found Taekwoon, what was he like?' Hakyeon began his questioning.

'Hmmm, well, he panicked a lot when he realized he couldn't remember anything about who he was or where he came from. He didn't know any of us here at the orphanage either so he was scared or locked himself inside his room. It took us quite a lot of times to get him to come out but he just wouldn't budge. It wasn't until later one of our children here took the initiative to ask him to come out and play. Even so, he was really quite and wary about everything around him.'

'I see... what was he wearing at the time when you found him?'

'What was he wearing...? Wait one second. Now that you mention it...' Father went into one of the wardrobes and took out a box. 'Ah! Found it. Here.'

Father handed Hakyeon a box and as soon as Hakyeon opened it up to see what was inside, he found a set of torn uniforms and badges that were nearly melted whole.

'This!' Hakyeon recognized it right away. It was Leo's uniform!

'Taekwoon was wearing this when we found him. It looks like something a soldier would wear but when we tried to ask him to remember, his head would hurt each time and eventually, we didn't ask about it any further.'

This confirmed it all.

Taekwoon was really Jung Leo.

The same Leo whom Hakyeon befriended and fell in love with.

The same Leo whom confessed to Hakyeon before he had left to war and was waiting for a reply if he had returned.

'Do you know about Taekwoon's past? Who he is?' The Father asked Hakyeon.

'Yes. I do.' Hakyeon nodded. 'But I'm still in a dilemma whether I should tell him about it or not. He just seems so much happier here at the orphanage with who he is right now as Taekwoon.'

'I see. I understand. I know you are a great boy Hakyeon-ah. I'm sure you will make the right decision so I will leave it to you.' The Father was relying on Hakyeon.

Then, someone knocked on the door.

'Father? Can I come in?' It was Taekwoon. Class had ended.

'Sure, please come in.' Father replied.

As Taekwoon walked inside the office, he was shocked to see Hakyeon being there as well. It's been a few days since they've last seen one another.

'Why?' Taekwoon surprised to see the unexpected visitor.

'Hakyeon was just here to visit and see how the children are doing now that he's recovered, right?' Father smiled at Hakyeon and decided to keep their conversation a secret until Hakyeon decides what to do.

'Uh, right. Did class just end?' Hakyeon asked Taekwoon.

Taekwoon nodded.

'I see. Then, I won't bother you two. I'm going to go see the children since I'm here. I miss them a lot.' Hakyeon got off his seat and was ready to make an escape.

'Huh? Wait!' Taekwoon suddenly grabbed onto Hakyeon's arms. 'Sorry Father, I need to talk to Hakyeon first. I'll be right back.'

Taekwoon bowed to the Father in apologies and took Hakyeon out to the corridors. Hakyeon could only follow behind. This felt like déjà vu.

'How's your leg?' Taekwoon asked.

'They're fine. It was just a little sprain is all.'

'That's good to hear.'

'Um, so what did you want to talk to me about?' Hakyeon decides to ask first and get to the point.

'I'm sorry I didn't come visit you these past few days...'

'Yeah and you said you were worried about me disappearing. You could've at least visited me once.' Hakyeon said in a teasing tone but he was indeed a bit disappointed.

'I wanted to. I really do! But...'

'But?'

'I don't know why. I'm just afraid...'

'Afraid of what?'

Taekwoon stopped and turned to face Hakyeon.

'Hakyeon-ah,' Taekwoon suddenly called the boy's name in a soft and embracing tone. 'Answer me honestly, do you know me?'

'Huh? What do you mean?' Hakyeon gulped.

'Like, do you know who I am? What my real name is?'