Chapter 3

(LeoN/NEO) If You...

* * * * * *

The nights felt like it wasn’t long enough for all of Hakyeon’s ideas nor dreams. Day by day, night after night, his room became filled with more and more sketches. The perfect wedding of the minister’s son, Leo. It was also Hakyeon’s first official project as well. But there was a slight problem.

Even after all these sketches and imagination, Hakyeon wasn’t a hundred percent satisfied with any of his ideas. But why?

It could possibly be that even after all this time, he has yet to meet the groom and bride to be for the wedding arrangements. Neither of them gave any of their own inputs towards the wedding and the thought of the two marrying one another out of their parents’ wishes, was disheartening for Hakyeon. He had wanted to imagine the perfect arrangements for two people whom loved one another truly but this was not the case for his first project.

* * * * * *

Maybe because it was his own parents that gave Hakyeon a true ideal of how romance and love should be.

His mother and father were next-door neighbors that grew up together and supporting one another’s dreams. As Hakyeon’s mother was pursuing her dreams as a florist, Hakyeon’s father would constantly encourage her and help her when she needed help. They fell in love with one another through mutual support and encouragement.

Hakyeon’s father passed away during the war where he had volunteered to be a soldier in order to protect his family and fight for the country. Although Hakyeon was still quite young at the time, his mother would often tell Hakyeon stories about his father and how amazing his father was. Through the stories of his father’s achievements and adventures, as well as the tale of love that his parents had, Hakyeon dreams of the same for his own love life.

When will I meet the person where I wish to support and spend the rest of my life and time with?

* * * * * *

‘You’re not going home yet?’ Minhyuk asked Hakyeon after classes have ended.

Hakyeon nodded.

‘Not yet.’

‘You’ve been staying late even after classes have ended. What’s wrong?’ Minhyuk worried about his best friend.

‘Nothing. I just feel like I’m hitting some sort of slump from my sketches. I just thought that maybe if I had a change of environment that it will help me find the inspirations I needed.’

‘Still not satisfied? Isn’t your room filled with sketches already? Even auntie said there no where left for her to walk in your room now.’

‘I know. But… it just doesn’t feel perfect enough.’

‘It’s not like the wedding was even out of mutual love so why are you trying so hard? Just finish it and get it over with.’

‘I know it’s nothing for the two of them but it’s still something considerably important to the minister. I don’t want to disappoint him especially when he’s put so much faith in me and my mom for this project.’

‘I get it. But you really need to take care of yourself. Please?’ Minhyuk looked at Hakyeon endearingly and watching Hakyeon work so hard worries him to no end.

‘Thanks.’

One by one, the students have left the school to return home and the classes that were once filled with many bodies was left silent and empty. The only sounds of the classroom were the scratching of Hakyeon’s pencil as he drew in his sketchbook.

It was strangely quiet around him but Hakyeon could draw in peace with no extra disturbance in the class. Maybe this really was what he needed to be inspired.

His school was a rather pleasing place to be when no one was around to disrupt his time. On certain days such as today, you could only hear the instruments of the choir or marching band from the building next door, playing a beautiful tune for the school. Rather than the noisy chatters from the day, the sounds after school were relaxing and melodic.

As Hakyeon fell deep into his own world, someone called his name.

‘Cha Hakyeon?’

An unfamiliar and rather quiet voice that Hakyeon didn’t recognize called out to his name. Hakyeon turned around to see who it was and to his surprise, a tall lean boy was standing by the doorway and looking for him.

It was Leo.

Why is he here? And did he just call my name?

* * * * * *

Dumbfounded and still trying to catch on to the situation that he could not comprehend, Hakyeon stared at Leo. Not knowing whether he was dreaming or if this was reality.

‘You’re Cha Hakyeon right?’ Leo asked.

Hakyeon took a minute to register Leo’s voice in his mind and the fact that the boy was calling his name once more. Hakyeon finally nodded.

‘Yes I am. But why…’

‘My father had you do the planning for the wedding right?’ Leo asked to confirm with a stern face on him.

Hakyeon nodded again.

‘How are the arrangements going?’ Leo continued with his questions.

‘Um. I still haven’t finalized anything yet and there are so many ideas I have right now but I’ll work hard and make sure not to disappoint you!’ Hakyeon was worried that Leo was concerned about how slow the project is going at the moment on top of his imperfect sketches. Hakyeon took a long time for the planning after all. Maybe Leo was annoyed at him for taking this long?

‘Don’t.’ Leo suddenly said.

‘Huh?’

‘Don’t try so hard. You don’t need to work hard. In fact, I don’t want you to work so hard in this whole thing. Just give my father something and get it over with already.’

Hakyeon was taken by surprised by Leo’s sudden declaration.

‘What? Why?’ He didn’t understand what was going on.

Leo sighed.

‘This whole façade was only because our parents had a promise with one another. Not something I wanted in the first place. Neither Amelia nor me even love one another. We’re only going through this marriage to please our parents so that they’d stop nagging about it. So don’t work so hard on something that neither of us are going to thank you for. It’s just going to be a waste of time.’

Hakyeon was shocked at what Leo had just told him. Did he really come all the way to the West Wing just to tell him that?

‘But… shouldn’t it still be important? At least I know it is to your dad…’

‘Do what you like but in the end, it will only be a waste. This marriage means nothing to me and I’m only telling you this for your own good.’

Just like that, Leo had left. Hakyeon still couldn’t grasp on to what he was just told and was left in the classroom alone again. Sure Leo says it is for his own good to not try so hard on the project but somewhere deep in his heart, Hakyeon didn’t want to give up.

It may not be important for Leo but it was definitely important for the kind minister. Not only that, but Hakyeon’s own mother had put a lot of faith in him by handing this project to him. He was given an opportunity of the lifetime and he was definitely not going to give up just because Leo told him to.

Hakyeon shook his head to himself, erasing all the negativity he had been told.

‘It doesn’t matter what he says. I’m going to do my best and prove to him that this will definitely be worth it all in the end.’

Hakyeon wasn’t going to give up. Leo was cold but that became his motivation. Hakyeon was willing to go against the groom’s words and try his absolute best. Leo thinks he can just come and tell him what not to do but Hakyeon will prove him wrong.

* * * * * *

After what had happened, Hakyeon spent even more time on his sketches for the project. His room that was already filled with sketches have doubled or even tripled in amount. He was motivated by his own persistence. The more he was told not to do something, the more he wanted to rebel.

‘Hakyeon-ah, you’re still up? You should get some sleep. Look at those eye bags of yours.’ His mother came to check up on him at night.

‘I’m fine. Just a little more.’ Hakyeon told her as he continued with scribbling in his sketchbook.

Hakyeon’s mother sighed.

‘Do you want to go to the minister’s place tomorrow? He wishes to see your sketches for the wedding.’ She said.

Hakyeon nodded and his mother took one last look at her son before she left. She was worried for him and some how regret a bit handing the entire project for her son. She didn’t think it would affect Hakyeon this greatly. Hakyeon knew well that his mother was worried about him and in fact, his friends were all worried too. They knew he was passionate about his work but to see him work this hard was something surprising to even those that knew him the longest.

The morning came and Hakyeon did not sleep again for another night. His sketchbooks were all filled with drawings to the point where some pages were tuck loosely inside because he ran out of space to place them. He was tired from not getting a single minute of sleep but he was also ready to show the minister his ideas. There were a few that Hakyeon himself was quite satisfied with but he definitely wanted approval first.

Hakyeon had been back to the minister’s mansion a few times already to lie out the structure of the venue. He found a few inspiration here and there for the wedding as well. No matter how many times he’s visited this place, he was still amazed at the sight of care and kindness that was put here.

The heir of this place may be cold but the minister was different. This home was the proof of it. The minister even took care of it himself even though he could have just hired others to do the work. The place was filled with warmth and life that made Hakyeon feel a lot more awake during each of his visits.

‘Welcome Hakyeon-ah. How are you?’ The minister asked him right away and offering the boy a seat. ‘I heard you’ve been working really hard on the project. I can tell you didn’t get any sleep again.’

Even the minister could see that the boy looked tired despite how much Hakyeon had tried to cover it up. His eye bags were just too obvious at this point and Hakyeon was becoming skinnier each time they met.

‘I’m fine sir. Here are some of my sketches. Please tell me if there’s anything you wish for me to change.’ Hakyeon handed the sketchbook to the minister.

‘Thank you. I’m sure they’re all wonderful.’ The minister assured him.

The minister flipped through the boy’s sketch with much care, knowing how much work and effort Hakyeon had put into each and every page. He was amazed that the young boy had put so much time on the assignment when he really didn’t need to. Hakyeon maybe young but he was very creative and extraordinary in his own way. It was quite rare for anyone around the same age as Hakyeon to be so inspirational.

‘These are fantastic Hakyeon-ah. I don’t know what else to say.’ The minister smiled delightfully at Hakyeon.

The minister’s smile and his crinkled eyes reassured Hakyeon’s heavy heart and the pressure he had been feeling for the past few days. It suddenly felt as if all the weight he felt was lifted from him.

The minister gave Hakyeon a few notes in which arrangements he liked the most with the sketches he was shown and Hakyeon listened carefully at each word. The minister saw many beautiful and extravagant arrangements in Hakyeon’s book and gave a few inputs himself.

He wanted the wedding to be simple yet beautiful. He knew well that his own son did not care for the marriage so, he decided that a simple yet elegant wedding would the perfect. It was also a reflection of his own past. Leo’s mother loved flowers and nature just like Hakyeon’s mother. When Leo’s mother passed away due to a chronic illness, the minister thought that the perfect way to remember her was to show care in the things his wife loved the most. That would be nature itself. That’s why the mansion was still filled with such beauty. Each plant or tree that travelled throughout the mansion was something that reminded the minister of his wife and their past together.

This was the perfect love and story Hakyeon had hoped to hear from. Just like his own parents, Leo’s parents loved one another just as much.

As Hakyeon was making his way out of the mansion, he decided to go visit the beautiful cherry blossom tree one last time to calm his mind. It was the same place in which he first saw Leo and to think, the real person himself was so cold compared to when he was asleep somewhat disappointed Hakyeon.

* * * * * *

Hakyeon sighed as he stood underneath to look upon the mighty pink tree.

He sort of regrets having to meet the real Jung Leo in person. He wanted to be optimistic about the same-aged boy he had met once here at this very place. A sleeping beauty who seemed so relax and full of ease lying underneath the breezy pink environment.

The actual person was too different from his expectations is what Hakyeon had thought.

‘What are you doing here?’ A voice suddenly came out of nowhere.

Hakyeon jumped from the sudden interruptions. It was Leo again. He really has to stop with these surprises. Hakyeon thought as he could feel his heartbeat faster from the surprise attack.

‘Nothing. I just came to show your dad some sketches. I’ll be leaving now.’ Hakyeon wanted to walk away before he had to face any more disappointment form Leo.

‘Wait.’ Leo grabbed his arms and stopping Hakyeon in his tracks.

‘What do you want? Are you here to tell me not to work so hard again? It may not matter to you but I’ll do as I like and the minister has put a lot of faith in me to do so.’ Hakyeon tried to release his arms from Leo’s grasp.

‘Sorry.’

‘Huh?’

‘I was a bit too harsh the other day. Sorry’ Leo suddenly apologizes.

Hakyeon looked at Leo. Why is this person so unpredictable? So different from the other day? What exactly is he trying to say here?

‘You’re working hard on your own and I shouldn’t have said those things. My father told me that it’s always been a dream of yours to help your mother with event planning and flower arrangements. The wedding is your first official project yet I said those things to you. So, I’m sorry.’

Hakyeon could see the sincerity in Leo’s apologetic expression and could not find it in himself to be angry at the boy any longer.

‘It’s fine. Don’t worry about it.’ Hakyeon told him.

‘Your sketches… can you show me?’ Leo asked.

‘Of course!’

* * * * * *

The two of them say below the pink cherry blossoms as Leo flipped through Hakyeon’s beautiful put sketchbook. Each time Leo flipped through the pages, Hakyeon would try to look at what sort of expression the latter had on.

Leo was definitely fascinated by Hakyeon’s work and almost couldn’t believe his eyes at each page and drawing he encountered. The amount of work and effort Hakyeon had put in trying to help Leo have the perfect wedding was enough to soften his stone-heart.

‘You’ve… really worked so hard in this. I’m impressed.’ Leo told him.

‘Huh? It’s… nothing.’ Hakyeon couldn’t help but stutter and not knowing why he felt so embarrassed by Leo’s compliment. He’s been compliment so many times before from others so why does he feel so embarrassed from a simple praise by Leo instead?

‘I’m counting on you for the wedding. I know it’s nothing special for me or Amelia but I guess I can expect it to be great either way. Somehow, seeing these sketches… I can’t wait to see it with my own eyes.’

Hakyeon nodded at Leo’s compliment and promised to do his absolute best. Now that even the groom has put his faith in him, he’s become more motivated than ever to make this project the best there could ever be.

As Leo was putting the sketchbook pages back to place and making sure that Hakyeon’s sketchbook was organized before he handed back to the owner, a strong breeze took him by surprise. The loose pages of the sketchbook flew out of the book before he could close it and both Hakyeon and him tried to reach out for the flying pages.

Just when Hakyeon tried to reach for one of the pages, he accidently tripped and was about to roll off the hills. Leo saw and grabbed Hakyeon by the waist while trying to save him.

‘Careful!’ Leo called out.

The two of them tumbled down the greens together as Leo held Hakyeon closely by his side.

‘Are you okay?’ He asked worryingly towards Hakyeon.

Hakyeon looked at Leo who was right underneath him, protecting him from their fall. He could feel his heart race a mile per second as he finally got to look closely at Leo’s face against his own. The two were quietly gazing into each other’s eyes and for a moment, the both of them were mesmerized by the other.

Both had forgotten to let go.

 

 

* * * * * * A/N * * * * * *

I wasn't actually going to update for another week but I had a really sweet dream last night and suddenly, I was inspired and motivated to release this chapter. Hope you guys enjoyed it.