Fire And Ice

Two Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If you want to learn what someone fears losing, watch what they photograph,”

“Pass me the glue please,” I hear Omi asking but my mind was too far away to register what she wanted.

“Eunji, pass me the glue, please” I grabbed a random object beside me while staring out the window of her bedroom.

“How the heck do you want me to paste our model on this board with a screwdriver?”

I shrugged and wistfully answered. “I don’t know….poke a hole? Then bash it in?”

Omi let out a silent groan and dragged her palm down her face. “Why are you my seat and project partner?”

‘Would you prefer Kaity then?” Omi stayed silent while thinking about it before shaking her head. “Good point,”

I twirled a pen between my fingers and continued to stare out the window although I was not paying attention to the view at all. Jungkook’s face suddenly flashed before my eyes. ‘See you soon, Na Eunji,’ he said with a smile.

“!”

Omi jumped in her seat and stared at me, her mentally challenged friend with mood swings as bad as our pregnant Psychics teacher. I dropped my head on the table with a heavy thud as I cursed out of the blue.

‘See you soon, Na Eunji,’

Soon. Soon. Soon….

WHEN THE HECK IS SOON?! A YEAR AFTER? A MONTH? Will I even remember him when he comes back?

If he comes back.

“!”

The last time I saw him was a Friday. Today is the next Saturday which means I have not seen nor heard of him for a week already. All of a sudden, his smile flashed in my head again.

“NO!”

A week and I’m already going crazy.

The sound of metal clattering and objects being shoved around brought me back to reality and I quickly turned towards Omi who was standing with a serious look on her face. “Did I eurm…Did I curse out loud?” I sheepishly asked.

Omi pointed a finger at me. “You stay there. I’m going to get salt for your exorcism,” she looked so serious, I bursted out laughing. “Oh my God! I’m so sorry!” I apologized between my bawl of laughter. I quickly snatched all my pens and papers before shoving them in my bag. “You’re right. This demon is feeling not well today. I think I’ll head back home now,”

Omi nodded and handed over my baseball bat that was resting on the side of her bed. “Yeah, okay.. Not like there will be a difference of progress in our work if you’re gone anyway,” I gave her a sorry-but-not-really-smile and excused myself out.

I shut the door to Omi’s grand house and made my way to the bus stop. Her neighborhood was no doubt a fancy one. With a golf course not far ahead and other sport facilities for the rich owners to use. Omi’s parents must be busy making all those cash, it explains why they’re not really at home most of the time. Omi must be pretty lonely sometimes. I should visit her often.

I was walking pass the basketball court, my baseball bat I carry over my shoulder and my files in my hands when suddenly I noticed a dark shadow flying across the sky and heading in my direction. What is that ball doing, heading over at my head?

Oh.

Oh .

BAM!

My files flew and my bat dropped together with my bag. I fell to the ground from the impact and the side of my head felt as though I tried to be Harry Potter and ran into a wall at a train station. The basketball bounced in front of me before rolling and stopping at my legs. I hear footsteps approaching frantically and I quickly picked up the ball. ‘Wait till I make you feel like a wannabe Harry, muggle,’

I was about to hurl the ball towards the approaching figure when I saw who it was.

An angel.

Just kidding.

Well, he was almost similar to one with blonde hair and really handsome features. He was tall, lean and fit, He was wearing a white V-Neck shirt that showed his collarbones really nicely. Sweat rolled down his neck, maybe from his previous game.

“Crap! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” His Korean was a bit off. From America maybe? I was too busy gawking at him, I couldn’t answer him immediately. “Right…No. Wait! I don’t mean no, I meant no to the right cause I…” I realized I was a gibbering mess and closed my mouth tightly. He tilted his head to the side with a confused smile. “Okay,” I managed to say after composing myself. “I am okay,”

His face brightened and he let out a relief sigh. “Thank God. I would be in panic if you were having a concussion or something,”

‘I probably am though,’ but I just shook my head with a small laugh. I handed back his ball and he looked up to say something but stopped.. “Ouch! That doesn’t look good,”

For a minute, I thought he was talking about my face and got offended for a millisecond. “Oh! You meant the bruise,” I brushed my fingers over the side of my head and felt a bump forming. The blonde boy immediately nodded and gestured me to a bench near the basketball court. He was not planning on letting me go until he was crystal clear that I was alright, so I had to follow him. He helped in picking up my stuff before placing them at the bench. “Wait here,”

I watch him run towards a duffel bag and retrieved a water bottle. He jogged back and gently placed it on the side of my head. I outwardly flinched at the contact of the cool metal against my skin and I saw him flinching too. “Sorry. Please bear with it for a while,”

His voice was so soft and gentle like silk and honey in my ears.

‘See you soon, Na Eunji,’

I had to bite my bottom lip from screaming another profanity out loud in front of this beautiful angel’s face.

“I think it’ll be better now. Sorry. That looked as though it hurt a lot,” unconsciously, he brushed my hair to the side to get a better look at the bruise but my face just turned red at that intimate gesture.

He stepped away with a satisfied smile and held out his hand. “I’m Mark by the way. I've never seen you in this neighborhood before. You from here?" 

I graciously accepted his handshake. "Eurm no. My friend does. Do you know Omi Kim?" Mark's eyebrow raised with amusement. "Omi? I live next door to her! We grew up together," I nodded with wide eyes.

Neighbours huh? What a coincidence. How dare Omi not tell me about her freakishly cute next door oppa. Sigh, I don't blame her for wanting to keep all this to herself. I really should visit her often. 

Seeing that Mark isn't leaving anytime soon, I tried to strike a conversation. "So...basketball huh?" 

Its alright, Eunji. You tried.

Mark smiled as he leaned the basketball against his hip. "Yeah. Its like the only thing that keeps me distracted from all my problems," 

I was going to ask what sort of problems he meant but stopped short when he lifted the front of his shirt to wipe the sweat from his face. 

May I remind you, we was wearing a V neck shirt. Thus, revealing his lower abdomen. I quickly averted myself to anywhere else but him when I caught sight of his half covered face. 

He looks vaguely familar.

A picture of another figure replaced the pretty boy that stood before me. It was the gang in black that cornered me in the deserted street. That one boy who stood at the front and spoke with a calm tone the whole while. Thinking about it, his voice does sound familiar.

It couldn't be...

Mark caught the stunned look on my face and quickly dropped the front of his shirt. "You look rather pale...are you really alright?" 

"Y-yeah! Its just that...the Sun is taking its toll on me. Speaking bout the Sun, its getting pretty late isn't it? Yeah, I should go," I hasitly grabbed my things and stood with a small bow. "Great meeting you, Mark," I turned to escape but then heard him whisper. "Eunji-shi...you should be more careful next time, okay?" 

My voice turned shaky. "W-what?" When I look back at him, his face brightened up with a teasing smile as he gestured towards the basketball. "You don't want to get knocked out by a ball next time, do you?" 

The deeper part of my brain was nagging me that he meant something else.

I kept my face sweet and worry-free although my insides were thrashing against each other. By the time I got into the bus, safe and away from the rich neighbourhood, the feeling of dread hit me like a tsunami when I came to realisation.

'Eunji-shi,'

But I didn't tell him my name. 

***

"Good! You're back!" 

I lazily nodded and tiredly climb the stairs.

"But I need your help down at the bakery. A part timer is joining us today but I can't be there to supervise him. Would you ple

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter