chapter 22. (part 2/2)

of emoticons and bubble tea

Sliding the door shut behind them, Sehun walks into the kitchen without a word before moving to lean against the counter, careful to avoid the bruise on his back. He watches as Chanyeol proceeds to stand next to the table in the middle room, across from him. Chanyeol is avoiding his gaze and Sehun can tell he's keeping his distance. 

They stand in awkward silence, none of them wanting (or to be exact - daring) to speak a word for a long while. After a few minutes the silence of the room almost becomes suffocating and Sehun fights the urge to reach up and loosen (or even better, remove) his necktie. The latter watches as Chanyeol wordlessly and gently places his cane on the table beside him. Sehun's eyebrows furrow when he spots a small dent in the middle of the object. Upon closer inspecting, he notices the dent is shaped like a straight line. Did he smack it against something? Sehun thinks in confusion. In all honesty, he'd rather not know.

It's not until Chanyeol awkwardly clears his throat five minutes later that Sehun opens his mouth to speak. 

"How'd that get there?" Sehun asks, pointing to Chanyeol's cane, still lying on the table.

Chanyeol blinks, not having expected the question. Raising an eyebrow, he looks down at his cane. Sehun swears he sees something flash in Chanyeol's eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"That," Sehun repeats, taking a step forward and pointing to the obvious depression on the shaft. "How'd that get there?"

Shrugging, Chanyeol runs his index finger along the mark before looking at Sehun again. "Don't know."

"Don't lie to me," Sehun says, voice dropping two octaves. "This whole tough- attidue might work on Jongin or maybe even Baekhyun, but you know damn good and well it won't work on me."

Chanyeol lets out a humorless chuckle. "What-"

"You whacked it again something, didn't you. Hard."

Clenching his jaw, Chanyeol automatically bites his lower lip in frustration, giving him away. 

Sehun audibly exhales before shooting Chanyeol a stern look. "The sink. In the bathroom, I'd guess."

Eyes widening slightly, Chanyeol's mouth falls open. "How...how did you-"

"One," Sehun starts, chuckling to himself, "I heard; everyone in the entire goddamn café heard. Learn to control yourself, for 's sake. And two, the dent is shaped in a straight, horizontal line, I highly doubt hitting it against for example, a door, would cause a mark like that. It ain't rocket science."

"ing Science geek," Chanyeol mumbles under his breath before regaining his composure and looking at Sehun. "Back to the subject at hand; what did you want to talk about?"

"Take a guess," Sehun deadpans before crossing his arms over his chest. When Chanyeol remains silent, he sighs in expasteration. "I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from talking about me in grave detail behind my back in the near future."

Chanyeol blinks in confusion before his entire face melts into a scowl. "Are you for goddamn real," he groans, "is this seriously about Jon-"

"You told him I cried? As well as everything else?" Sehun exclaims, throwing his hands in the air and doing his best to keep his voice down. "Why the fu-"

"I had to," Chanyeol retorts, not even bothering to keep his voice quiet, "what else was I supposed to do? Nothing I said was getting through to him whatsoever!"

"Why the  did you even think it was a good idea to do...that, in the first place?" Sehun grits through his teeth. "Why couldn't you just have told me he and Baekhyun were sitting less than twenty feet away, instead of scarring them both for life and hoping I wouldn't find out? I mean, I would've found out regardless, but still."

"You came there to relax, for God's sake! Informing you would only lead to unnecessary drama," Chanyeol says and flinches a little when Sehun growls in frustration.

"As if all this is any better," Sehun seethes. "You're right, I came there to relax, however, I wouldn't have had anything against talking to him, you know that."

"See, do you see." Chanyeol says, voice dangerously low. Sehun winces. "This is exactly what the hell I'm talking about. I'm honestly trying my best here, I really am. But you keep ing complicating even further. You haven't changed at all - you're still as naive and dumbstruck as you've always been, no wonder you always reject my offers to help you out." He opens his mouth to say something more but quickly shuts it when he sees the terrifying look in Sehun's eyes. If looks could kill, Chanyeol would be dead in an instant.

"Watch your goddamn ing mouth," Sehun growls. "You haven't done to ease the situation between me and Jongin, at all."

"I didn't hide the fact that they were in the en' café to be mean or anything, you know that, I did it since I figured it'd be easier for you to get over him," Chanyeol says, shaking his head in disbelief. 

"I know, and I'd say thank you had this entire goddamn situation not been a gigantic mess," Sehun says with a sigh. "Oh, and by the way, hurt him with that thing," he adds, gesturing towards Chanyeol's cane, "again, and I'll break it right in half without a second thought, got it?"

"How did you know th-"

"He showed me, ."

Chanyeol clenches his fists. "That goddamn id-"

"Honestly, why do you hate him so much?" Sehun asks, a pleading look in his eyes. "I won't let you out of here until you give me a proper reason."

Sighing in frustration, Chanyeol puts his hands up in defense. "I think I've told you this a gazillion times already."

"Because you think he's a narcissistic gold digger who only cares about none other than himself." Sehun nods slowly. "Got it."

"What," Chanyeol chuckles, "it's true. I mean, the way he checked out your garden earlier sold him out completely, wouldn't you say?"

"He's never seen such fortune in his entire goddamn life," Sehun exclaims. "But I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, Mr. Billionaire-since-I-emerged-from-the-womb."

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "Why're you defending him anyway? Are you just gonna forget about the fact that-"

"I know, I know," Sehun cuts Chanyeol off, "I know, I'm not an idiot. I remember. But. Jongin. Isn't. Anything. Like. That."

Throwing his hands in the air, Chanyeol nearly knocks his cane off the table. "There you go again! You're ing hopeless, you know that? Here I am, trying to give you some logical advice on how to avoid getting your heart broken for the nth time in your life, like a normal best friend, and you ignore it, as usual!" He runs a frustrated hand through his hair. "Hell, you don't even know him-" his sentence is abruptly cut short when Sehun suddenly bangs a fist on the counter, effectively silencing him.

"You don't even know him," Sehun growls, voice so low it's nearly inaudible. Grabbing onto the counter edge, his shoulders heave up and down as he tries to regain control of his breathing. "You don't even know him. You don't know jack about him."

Chanyeol visibly swallows. "Sehun, don't do this to yourself. You're a smart guy. We both know neither I nor you want to go through this again. It pains me to see you like this 24/7, I mean it."

"He's different, he's different from all of them," Sehun says, mostly to himself as he shoots Chanyeol a menacing glare. "Stop being so quick to label him as...whatever you're labeling him as. It's not true, it's just not true. You're my best ing friend, you should be happy for me!"

Chanyeol throws his hands in the air in frustration. "How the hell can I be happy for you if you're only gonna get hurt?!" 

"How the  can you be so incredibly sure?" Sehun practically yells.

"How the can you be so incredibly ing sure?" Chanyeol gestures towards the door. "Hell, he might be gone right now for all you, and I, know! , how much do you wanna bet that the whole entire house has been picked clean of everything you own? He'll be gone, without a single trace, and you'll be left wondering what the hell you did wrong while bawling your eyes out to me. It's the same ing thing every time - and I refuse to let it happen again." Running a hand through his hair again, he sighs in expasteration. "I ing care about you, and I ing hate seeing you hurt. I'm doing this for you, don't you see?"

Sehun takes a deep breath. "Because he cares about me."


"So did literally everyone else," Chanyeol says quietly. "Or so you thought."

"I know, but," Sehun starts and curses under his breath when he hears his voice crack. "I don't know, okay? There's something about him, he's different, in a good way. I'm sure of it. I know he is."

Chanyeol only sighs before putting his hands up in defense. "Fine. I won't discuss this any further, I feel like I've said it a million times already. If none of this works out, you only have yourself to blame. Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Why're you so cold towards me all of a sudden, anyway? I'm not talking about since, you know, I started hanging out with Jongin, but for the past couple of hours? I mean, you tend to be stubborn as hell sometimes, but this is stubborn-ness on a whole 'nother level. You've been do distant and just downright...cruel, and I don't like it," Sehun says, subtly changing the subject. Doing his best to avoid the swelling of his heart, he tightens his grip on the edge of the counter. His eyebrows furrow when Chanyeol visibly tenses and averts his gaze, and his confusion only doubles when Chanyeol proceeds to pick up his cane and fidget with the handle.

"It's nothing," Chanyeol says with a cough. "It's nothing."

Sehun sighs, unconvinced. "People don't normally turn stone cold unless something's bothering them."

"I told you, it's nothing," Chanyeol snaps. "Mind your own darn business."

Sehun presses his lips together and stays silent for a couple of seconds. "Is it...is it your father?"

Chanyeol's eyes widen a little before he proceeds to vigorously shake his head. "No."

Eyebrows furrowing in concern, Sehun takes a step closer. "Are you a hundred percent sure? I know you've changed a ton since...last year, I can tell you have. Look, you know can talk to me-"

"God damn it Sehun," Chanyeol growls, "it's not him! I haven't talked to him in bloody ages. Not to mention I don't even give a anymore."

It's not until Sehun notices Chanyeol sneaking a subtle glance at the closed door that he sighs. "Yeol."

Squeezing his eyes shut in frustration, Chanyeol grits his teeth before slowly averting his gaze so he's looking at Sehun. "What."

"Just tell him."

Chanyeol visibly stiffens but he quickly scrambles to regain his composure. "Tell whom?" He asks, suspicion lacing his words. He suddenly growls in irritation. "I already ing told you, it's not my ing fa-"

"Baekhyun," Sehun interrupts Chanyeol and watches as the latter's entire body tenses. "Tell him. Tell Baekhyun already."

Biting his lip, Chanyeol avoids Sehun's gaze before shrugging nonchalantly. "I don't know what you're ta-"

"Bull. I know he's the reason behind your sour- mood for the past couple of hours," Sehun says sternly. "You're not fooling anyone, lunkhead. Go out there and tell him."

"Are you a moron?" Chanyeol stares at Sehun like he's grown a second head. 

"No, but I'm beginning to think you are," Sehun retorts with a huff. When Chanyeol lets out a quiet sigh, he takes another step closer. "Okay, I didn't mean that quite the way it sounded. But listen, I know you're pissed about Jongin and everything, but surpressing your feelings isn't helping anyone, much less Baekhyun."

Chanyeol's eyes flash at the mention of Baekhyun and Sehun fights the urge to giggle. "What are you sa-"

"What I'm saying is," Sehun sighs, "is that I'm going to be giving this whole thing with Jongin a shot whether you like it or not, which will subsequently lead to you being forced to get along with both Jongin and Baekhyun - which in turn will lead to you needing to confess in order for everything to be able to work. Because let's be very real here, this hasn't been about Jongin at all, has it? At least not for the past hour or so."

Biting his lower lip, Chanyeol fidgets with the handle of his cane. A nervous habit, as Sehun has noticed. "How did you even-"

"Jongin told me all about your less-than-subtle stares. I didn't notice at all, to be honest," Sehun chuckles into his fist. "Hey, before you beat him up over it, I should probably let you know that I find it cute, so don't worry," he adds and lets out a small giggle when Chanyeol turns his face away. "Are you blushing?"

"No."

"You are!"

"Sehun, shut the  u-"

"Drop the tough-guy attitude for once in your life and tell him already, or this'll never end. I know you like him - I've known you since we were toddlers, for God's sake. Come on, it's not like you to be all hung up on , especially not something so childish - not to mention I'm sure Baekhyun would appreciate it if you told him. Seriously, it's so exhausting to have to put up with this everyday," Sehun says with a tired huff. "Seriously though, listen. Don't take your inner feelings out on Jongin in the future, you hear me? He doesn't deserve any of it, or what you've been giving him, and he's been through enough already, trust me. And while you're at it, cut it out with those creepy- stares of yours whenever he's in your line of vision, it's just super unnecessary. I want everything to work out, so please, Yeol, stop making so complicated. And in the future, don't go poking around behind my back, alright? Just talk to me instead - you know I don't bite. I don't want something as simple as love issues to screw our entire friendship over, and I think you feel the same exact way. Look, I know your intentions are good and that you're just trying to protect me and all, but please, refrain from doing so entirely if you feel the need to resort to violence and just up even more in general. Oh, and if I find out you've hurt him again, which I will, I'll never forgive you. Cut it out. I'm twenty, I can solve my own problems."

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. Apparently not. "What could he possibly have been through?" He asks, sniggering.

Sehun shoots Chanyeol a harsh glare. "He was hospitalized yesterday."

Laughter dying down, Chanyeol blinks. "What? Seriously? Why?"

"He suffered a severe anxiety attack after I sent him that text," Sehun says, swallowing. He's more than thankful he wasn't there to witness it. "They let him out this morning."

Chanyeol bites his lip. Gaze softening, he plays with his fingers. "Damn."

Sehun nods. "His heartbeat's all irregular and everything, gosh, I don't want to think about it." He turns his face away and inhales to calm himself down. He suddenly looks at Chanyeol. "Hey, not that this means anything to you, but doesn't that...well, prove that he's not who you think he is?"

"Huh?"

"Would they," Sehun starts, referring to his exes, "have reacted the same way if I sent them a text saying I wanted to break up and take it easy for a while? Would they have panicked to the extent that they'd collapse from some heart disease and have to be forced to be rushed to hospital? I don't know about you," he shoots Chanyeol a stern look, "but I really, really doubt they would."

Chanyeol swallows before rubbing the back of his neck. "I...guess not."

"Exactly." Sehun sighs when Chanyeol doesn't say anything. "Look, like I said earlier, just tell Baekhyun how you feel."

"I can't."

Sehun blinks. "Why not? Is it because of your strange- hatred towards middle class peo-"

"He probably thinks I'm a moron," Chanyeol says as a matter-of-factly before shrugging casually, but Sehun can sense a hint of sadness in his voice. Grabbing his cane, he leans onto it before looking at Sehun. "They've most likely died of boredom out there. Shall we go?"

"Hold on a minute," Sehun says, putting a hand in the air. "Listen closely now, he doesn't think you're a moron."

Chanyeol chuckles. "I don't see why he wouldn't."

"Seriously? What is this madness? You're Park Chanyeol; the Park Chanyeol, you never get nervous, you never doubt anything, what's happened to you all of a sudden?" Sehun exclaims, flailing his hands around. "Jesus, you must really be in love."

Squawking, Chanyeol nearly chokes on his own spit. "What the fu-"

"I haven't known Baekhyun for very long, but he seems like an amazing and honest guy, I'm sure he'll forgive you. Maybe. Don't worry, you two look really cute together, I mean it," Sehun laughs.

"Sehun, we're not a couple," Chanyeol groans, voice nearly a whisper.

"Why'd you whisper?" Sehun asks, an eyebrow raised.

Chanyeol swallows. "Because-"

"Because you're afraid of Baekhyun hearing the truth," Sehun sniggers, "got it, got it."

"If you don't shut the up, one of us is going home with a cane-shaped dent in the back of his head, and I swear to God it won't be me," Chanyeol growls. He suddenly turns to look at Sehun. "What'll you do if...you know, I end up being correct?"

Sehun blinks. "Correct? About what, exactly?"

"If he turns out to be one of them," Chanyeol says. "What'll you do then?"

"Dump him on the spot," Sehun says confidently. "But I don't think it'll happen. Or at least I hope to God it doesn't." Putting a hand on Chanyeol's shoulder, he heaves a sigh. "I know you hate this, but...please. Give him a chance, alright? For me. If he turns out to be, you know, that, I'll leave him immediately; I cross my heart and hope to die."

Chanyeol nods slowly and nearly jumps out of his own skin when a loud, ear-piercing laugh rings through the air, closely followed by a 'shut up, you goddamn idiot', and he whirls around to look at Sehun. "The was that?"

"Let me guess, that was your boyfriend telling my boyfriend to shut up," Sehun cackles and ducks in the nick of time to avoid getting whacked in the face with Chanyeol's cane. "What? It's true!"

"For the last time, he's not my boyfriend, you ," Chanyeol starts and lets out an agonized groan. "Hey, wait, how did you know? I think you told me but I forgot."

"How did I know what?"

"About...you know," Chanyeol clears his throat before rubbing the back of his neck. "Nothing."

"You mean your everlasting crush on Baekhyun?" Sehun asks and ducks again when Chanyeol's cane comes flying towards his face. "Well, I've only spoken on behalf of what Jongin saw, but personally, I could tell something was up way back in the café."

Chanyeol blinks. "Seriously? How could you tell?"

"When you emerged from the bathroom after three hundred years, you were acting so...strangely. Like, you were all fidgety and restless and just, nervous in general, which was a gigantic surprise," Sehun chuckles. "Oh, and one thing you kept doing was," he adds before reaching up and patting his chest. His eyebrows suddenly furrow in confusion and he looks at Chanyeol. "Hey, where is it?"

Chanyeol stares at Sehun like he's gone mad. "Where's what?"

"You kept adjusting your brooch," Sehun says, eyebrows still furrowed. "But like, where is it? You're not wearing it anymore, did you take it off or something? Just asking, since you always wear it."

Blinking, Chanyeol slowly reaches up to touch (the empty spot on) his jacket and his eyes widen. ", ," he curses, fingers clawing at his collar. "I...I think one of those punks took it."

Sehun's jaw nearly hits the floor. "You mean they stole it? When the hell could they have done that?"

"How the am I supposed to know?" Chanyeol exclaims in distress before growling in anger. "Goddamn idiots. See, this is exactly what I mean by-" he starts and quickly quietens down when he sees the look on Sehun's face. "Okay, sorry, sorry."

"Not everything has to be about Jongin being a heartless gold digger, you know," Sehun deadpans before giving Chanyeol a harsh slap on the back. "You gonna call the police and report it stolen?"

" that, I've got at least sixty more at home, wouldn't wanna waste my time," Chanyeol mumbles under his breath before reaching for the doorknob. He blinks when Sehun suddenly places a hand on top of his. "Huh?"

"Remember what to do now," Sehun says, lips curling upwards. "No. Backing. Out."

Chanyeol blinks and is about to ask Sehun what on Earth he's talking about when it hits him and he quickly turns his face away. "Yeah. Whatever." 

Walking three steps, Chanyeol grabs a napkin lying the table before turning to face the door again. Shoving the tissue in his pants pocket, he wordlessly turns the doorknob before sliding the door open all the way.