chapter 2

of emoticons and bubble tea



 

“Jongin, put your goddamn cell away before she walks in!” Baekhyun hisses while putting away his textbook and ridding his desk of supplies save for his pencil and eraser. “Also, get your feet off the desk or she’ll have your hauled to the principal’s office so fast you’ll think you were in a time warp. You know how much she hates it when students do that.”

“Calm the down,” Jongin mutters under his breath, finger swiping to the right over and over in search of a fitting sticker. “Do you think she’ll think I’m weird if I send her a sticker of a dog?”

“You have ten seconds, at most,” Baekhyun says, mentally revising each formula. “Before she walks in, sees you on your phone and with your feet on the table and confiscates it until the end of the day.”

“Confiscate my feet?,” Jongin sniggers, typing something on his keyboard. “That’ll be a little difficult, don’t you think?”

“Har har. I meant she’ll confiscate your phone, dumbwad. And I hear her footsteps walking towards the room, you better hurry.”

“Fine,” Jongin huffs. “Wait a sec, just let me-”

“Kim Jongin, get your feet off the table and hand over your phone right this instant!”

“Wait a moment!,” Jongin exclaims hurriedly while typing out a message. “I just need to-”

Now!”

Jongin looks up and nearly drops his phone when he sees the stern expression on his teacher’s face. He visibly gulps before slowly nodding and getting into a proper sitting position on his chair, putting his phone on the desk in front of him. The teacher quickly walks over and picks it up in a tight grip, shooting Jongin a less-than-friendly glare before turning around and walking back to the front of the classroom. He exhales before turning around and facing Baekhyun, the latter only shrugging as if to say ‘I told you so’. A sudden slamming noise snaps Jongin back to reality and he nearly jumps out of his chair as he whirls around and looks at the exam paper on his desk. He inwardly groans when he quickly skims through the wave of questions beneath him because , he doesn’t recognize any of this. Grabbing his pencil, he puts his head on his desk before letting out a big sigh. Damn it.

“Kim Jongin, sit up properly!”

~~~

Baekhyun stands outside the classroom, tapping his foot and checking his watch for the sixth time. He’s practically starving to death as a result of sitting in a room for two and a half hours straight and doing a test. He stifles a yawn before pulling out his phone to check the lunch menu and nearly gets his nose smashed into his skull when the door suddenly flies open and Jongin comes running out. He’s got a wide smile on his face and Baekhyun momentarily wonders if the teacher decided to let him pass the exam out of pity. “Judging by that creepy- smile of yours I’m assuming you’ve got good news?”

Jongin nods. “Do I!”

“I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say she let you pass for whatever reason?”

“What? No” Jongin blinks in confusion. “I wish, though. But no, she gave me back my phone!”

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. “Eh?”

“I talked to her and explained how I’m currently in the midst of talking to someone really important to me and I’d prefer to keep talking to them. And she just kinda looked at me funny before saying okay and giving it back, isn’t that great?”

“Sure. you, I thought it was something important” Baekhyun groans, slapping Jongin on the back of the head. “Come with me to my locker, I need to get rid of these books before my spine snaps in half. It’s already half broken anyway thanks to your goddamn bed.”

Jongin hums something incoherent before unlocking his phone and nearly dropping it when the words '34 new messages’ pop up on his screen. He quickly opens the conversation, hoping hunhunpinkupinku94 is still online.

hunhunpinkupinku94good morning sunshine!! ~
hunhunpinkupinku94jonginiee!! :3
hunhunpinkupinku94do you have a test today btw??
hunhunpinkupinku94good luck! fighting ~
hunhunpinkupinku94:
 
what time do you start today?~
hunhunpinkupinku94: i start at 10:45…english is so boring *yawn*
hunhunpinkupinku94gonna go out for bubble tea later today i think!! which flavor should i get?? *_*
hunhunpinkupinku94jonginnn
hunhunpinkupinku94is your phone dead?? :c
hunhunpinkupinku94hey when you charge it can u pls tell me what day u wanna meet? i really wanna see your face irl :3
hunhunpinkupinku94: i’ll bring one of my doraemons!! 
hunhunpinkupinku94: ❤
hunhunpinkupinku94what’s ur test about??
hunhunpinkupinku94math right??
hunhunpinkupinku94i like math~
hunhunpinkupinku94: i remember you said you at it…fighting anyway!!! ;D
hunhunpinkupinku94: jongineeeeee
hunhunpinkupinku94hellooooooo
hunhunpinkupinku94answer me pls :'c
hunhunpinkupinku94: *
Picture Messagelook where i went yesterday!!!
hunhunpinkupinku94i bought one btw!!~
hunhunpinkupinku94it’s adorable!~ i think i’ll name it after you
hunhunpinkupinku94does nini sound good?
hunhunpinkupinku94oh my god nini sounds amazing
hunhunpinkupinku94: hey maybe i should call you that from now on:'3 hehe
hunhunpinkupinku94it sounds as cute as you are
hunhunpinkupinku94niniii ❤
hunhunpinkupinku94my lesson starts sooni’m running late -_- 
hunhunpinkupinku94soo many loud children on the bus next to meso annoying x(
hunhunpinkupinku94: jonginnnnn your test should be over now right??
hunhunpinkupinku94: you said it would be an hour and a half right??
hunhunpinkupinku94: jonginnnn
hunhunpinkupinku94: are you doneee?? :3
hunhunpinkupinku94
don’t ignore me pls 💔💔💔

 


hunhunpinkupinku94 is typing…

Jongin’s eyes widen and he nearly breaks his fingers trying to type out a reply as fast as he possibly can. Baekhyun just glares at him.

jonginheartsmonggusorry my teacher took my phone away but she gave it back to me early so now i’m here!! i think i flunked it but oh well idc lmao. it’s just algebra after all :)). and that’s such a cute doll you should show it to me soon! idk what i think about that name tbh but go ahead and call it that if you wanna~ and buy a chocolate flavored one this time and tell me how it tastes so i can try it when we meet! 😄 

He presses send and stuffs his phone in his back pocket before turning to Baekhyun. “She’s real clingy.”

Baekhyun nods. “I saw some of the things she wrote, there must’ve been a hundred missed messages or so; Jesus, I don’t think I’d be able to handle such a clingy girl like her to be honest.”

“But that’s a sign that she cares,” Jongin says with a shrug. “She made it clear that she wants to meet me very soon.” They turn a corner and stop by their lockers. “I don’t know when though, there just never seems to be a right time. And stop acting all straight and , you probably don’t even know what a vag-”

“Stop overthinking it, just get the hell out there and meet her and see how it goes,” Baekhyun says while attempting to stuff his backpack in his locker. He just barely manages to close and lock it. Jongin winces when he hears something fall over inside the locker. “I mean, you want to meet her, don’t you?”

Jongin nods. “I do. I was a little sceptical at first but now I’m certain that I want to.”

“Then I say you do just that,” Baekhyun says, throwing an arm over Jongin’s shoulders, the latter prying him off almost immediately, “just make sure to invite me to the wedding later, alright?”

“I’m not gonna marry her, you utter moron!” Jongin exclaims, removing Baekhyun’s arm and nearly shoving him into the wall. “I mean, if we do end up dating that’s nice and all but right now I just wanna make sure she’s decent enough to befriend.”

“But you’re already friends, aren’t you?”

With a shrug, Jongin mutters a quick 'I guess’ before pulling out his phone again. His lips curl upwards into a small smile when his eyes skim over the words on the screen.

hunhunpinkupinku94i’ll cheer for you!! 🙋 and i'm free tomorrow if that works for u!!~

“What now?” Baekhyun groans when he sees Jongin’s face-splitting grin. “Did she agree on moving in together?”

“Shut the hell up, you ,” Jongin curses with a harsh slap on Baekhyun’s shoulder, making the latter emit a not so manly yelp. “She said she’s free tomorrow.”

“That’s cool,” Baekhyun says while rubbing his left shoulder blade. “Just say you’re free as well and leave it that for now, you should sit down and do some careful planning before coming to a final agreement.”

“There you go again sounding like my mother” Jongin says while typing out a quick 'great, i’m free tomorrow as well ~’. He feels a certain lump forming in his throat and he swallows a couple of times to get rid of it. He presses Send and quickly tucks his phone in his jeans pocket when he sees the ’Read’ mark appear next to his message, trying to ignore the erratic beating of his heart.

“I’m assuming you had the guts to say yes then, Mr. Lovestruck?” Baekhyun teases and only laughs when Jongin attempts to sock him in the head with his backpack and misses.

~~~

“What do girls even like?”

“You’re the one with girlfriend experience, why’re you asking me?”

“You’re the only one here!”

“I don’t know, hell, take her to a theme park or something!”

“Can’t, I hate rollercoasters and spinny ,” Jongin says as a matter-of-factly before pulling a clean shirt over his head. He picks up his phone and puts it away when he sees he doesn’t have any missed messages. “What about a movie? Girls like it when guys take them to the cinema, don’t they?”

“Again, why’re you asking me?” Baekhyun repeats. “I’ve never dated a girl before.”

“Let’s put it this way then,” Jongin says before plopping down next to Baekhyun on the pullout couch. “If you met a hot guy, where would you want him to take you?” He blinks. “Okay, that kinda came out wrong - where would you want your first date to be?”

“You’re so not funny. Anyway, I like cafés and theme parks and romantic places in general. But I guess a movie sounds fine, given that you’re meeting each other for the first time it’s probably best you stick with something basic.”

“M hmm,” Jongin hums whilst typing on his phone, his phone buzzing six times in a row. Baekhyun just stares in astonishment because is she online every waking moment of her life? 

“She seems…committed,” Baekhyun simply says before pulling out his phone and opening the Safari app. “I’ll try looking for some first date tips.” He slaps Jongin on the back when the latter doesn’t say a word. “You’re welcome, by the way.”

“Huh? Oh, uh, thanks. I could use some help,” Jongin nods absentmindedly, not taking his eyes off his screen.


 

hunhunpinkupinku94: do you know any good places?? ~
jonginheartsmonggu: i’m terrible at these sorts of things -u- but i’ll find something dw!
hunhunpinkupinku94: there’s this cool laser tag place not v far from where i live ~

hunhunpinkupinku94 is typing…



Jongin blinks, turning to Baekhyun. “Hey, look.” He shows the latter his recently received message. 

“Woah,” Baekhyun says. “She seems…special.”

“I know right? I didn’t know girls enjoyed playing laser tag. I wonder if she’s any good at it.” He turns his face away and misses the way Baekhyun shakes his head in disbelief. 



jonginheartsmonggu: that sounds cool~ you any good at it?
hunhunpinkupinku94: i’m p good actually x) won first place four times in a row when i went there with my friends last month 
jonginheartsmonggu: so you’re the sporty type then? you don’t see a lot of those, that sounds interesting ;D
hunhunpinkupinku94: i’ve always been into sports and fitness and stuff hehe :3 do you do any sports?
jonginheartsmonggu: i was in my school’s soccer team last week but quit since i took up ballet
hunhunpinkupinku94: woah ballet??? that’s rly cool! you should show me how well you can dance sometime haha
jonginheartsmonggu: i will!

hunhunpinkupinku94 is typing…



“She’s apparently really fit,” Jongin says while putting his phone away. “This should be interesting.”

“, six foot and fit as hell. Don’t piss her off then,” Baekhyun says, scrolling through his own phone for first date outfit ideas, “or she’ll kick your .”

“Har har. What are you doing?”

“Being a good best friend and helping you the out,” Baekhyun shows Jongin his phone screen. “Do you like any of these?”

“Uh, not a fan of bowties. Lemme see,” Jongin plucks the phone out of Baekhyun’s hand, eyes glued on the screen. “But I like the casual-type look a lot. Do you think black pants and a white and blue striped blouse could work?”

“Sure, I guess. Isn’t that a little too casual though?” Baekhyun asks, taking his phone back and turning it off. “I mean, I have no idea what she’ll be wearing, so. And don’t ask her about it either, that’s a tad bit creepy.”

Jongin turns his attention back to his phone.



jonginheartsmonggu: im not that good at laser tag so i’ll prob end up humiliating myself hehe :’) what about that bubble tea place you love so much? could that work?^
hunhunpinkupinku94: yeah!! i’d love to meet you there! 
jonginheartsmonggu: cool! then i’ll finally be able to taste the chocolate bubble tea ~
hunhunpinkupinku94: 💓💓💓 can’t wait! *kiss*
jonginheartsmonggu: 😘☕
hunhunpinkupinku94: that’s a coffee emoticon, silly x) 
jonginheartsmonggu: they don’t have a tea one on my phone :’(
hunhunpinkupinku94: god you’re so cute 😽



“It’s settled,” Jongin says triumphantly, “we’re meeting at her favorite bubble tea shop!”

Baekhyun’s eyes flash. “That sounds perfect! What time? Today?”

“I don’t think so,” Jongin says after a while. “Wait, lemme ask her.”



jonginheartsmonggu: what time do you want to meet?
hunhunpinkupinku94: when does your last lesson end tomorrow? :3


 

“When does our Literature lesson end tomorrow?”

“2:30-ish.”

jonginheartsmonggu: 2:30 ~
hunhunpinkupinku94: awesome!! mine ends at 2 so i’ll wait for you there!
🤗 *hug*
jonginheartsmonggu: can’t wait!! ^^

Jongin puts his phone in his back pocket and sits back with a smile on his face. “Why isn’t picking up girls in real life as easy as it is online?”

Baekhyun shrugs. “Do I need to repeat myself again?”

“Is picking up guys this easy for you?”

“I dunno,” Baekhyun says with a smirk. “Guys tend to pick me up regardless of what I say.” He looks at Jongin with a dramatic expression on his face while running a hand through his hair. “I’m just that gorgeous.”

“I can’t believe I had to hear that with my own ears,” Jongin shudders. “Anyway, it seems like we’re meeting up at around 3-ish since the shop is a twenty five minute bus ride from school.”

Baekhyun blinks. “You calculated that?”

Jongin nods. “Yeah, so?”

“By yourself?”

“Of course! The hell’s gotten into you?”

“Like, you did the math all by yourself? In your head? Without a calculator? Hallelujah, seems like you don’t need me anymore,” Baekhyun whoops.

Hey, shut the hell up!”