Forgotten

Written in Pages

Taekwoon woke up from the sound of his phone ringing. It was the ringtone he had set for Wonshik. Aish! What does that man want now. I want to sleep Wonshik-ah. Stop calling me this early! Taekwoon was scolding his best friend in his mind. He was still too tired from all the work he did last night. He  didn’t want to get up. But the phone kept on ringing. It was really getting annoying. Aish! What time is it! Taekwoon reached out to get the clock from his bed side drawer. It was only 7:00 in the morning. He wanted to sleep more but he can’t resist the call from his best friend. He stood up and picked up the phone, still rubbing off the sleep from his eyes.

“Hello?” Taekwoon answered in an almost whisper. He sounded really tired. “Omo! Why do you sound like a zombie? Have you slept properly?” The man on the other line asked, worry was noticeable from his voice. “I’m just tired Wonshik. Why are you up so early? Is something wrong?” Taekwoon responded. “Yah! Have you forgotten? Its Sunday today Taek. You’re supposed to present your work to your editor today, 10:00 in the morning remember?” Wonshik reprimanded.  “I FORGOT! I was so restless last night that I actually forgot that today’s Sunday! Aigoo! I haven’t prepared yet. My files are everywhere! Aish!” Taekwoon was now in a state of panic. He was pacing back and forth trying to organize the files for his presentation while still holding the phone in one hand. “Haha. Relax Taek. You’ll be fine. You still have two hours to prepare. That’s enough.” Wonshik chuckled.  Hearing Wonshik’s laugh early in the morning calmed the packing man down. “Thanks for waking me up Shik.” Taekwoon replied. “Ah.. You don’t have to thank me. I’m going to hang up now okay? Just wanted to check up on you. Fighting! You can do it Taek! I’m sure of it! I’m already proud of you!” Wonshik encouraged. “Thank you Wonshik. Thanks for everything. Oh.. and let’s meet at Sonia’s later? I’ll give you a call.” Taekwoon said, grateful to his best friend for once again saving him. Sonia’s was their favorite restaurant. They love the food there, the only thing that they didn’t like was that it closes so early in the evening. “Okay Taek! See you later! Fighting!” Wonshik replied, a smile adorning his face. Then the  line got cutoff.

Wonshik went to bed right after the call ended. He woke up early just to call his best friend to give some encouraging words. He was worried that his best friend might snap from too much stress but he can’t shake off the thought that Taekwoon was going to meet up with Hongbin.  Aish! I know it’s for work. But why do you have to meet him on a Sunday? And on a café near the park too? Yah! Is this a date? Wonshik suddenly jerked and sat up straight from his bed with the sudden realization. “What if…. What if Hongbin was really planning this date? What if this was really a date? And he’s just using work as an excuse. That sneaky guy. Yah!” Wonshik screamed from frustration. He sighed in defeat, arms raised and fell back on the bed. Ah. But I can’t do anything about it. This is important for Taekwoon. I’ll support him no matter what. He finally closed his eyes, hoping that sleep can take him away from his frustrations.

Meanwhile, Taekwoon had already finished preparing the documents he needed. He took a bath and he put on his shirt, a simple white sweater and black skinny jeans after. Even though it was simple, it looked chic on Taekwoon; he didn’t even put any effort to make himself look handsome and beautiful at the same time. How can this even be possible. Ah. Only Taekwoon can do it.

The weather report said it was going to snow that day, so he grabbed his jacket and a scarf from his drawer. He made sure that he was all set. He double checked the documents from his bag. Before going out, he stopped by the door and heaved a sigh. “Fighting!” He said in a soft voice to encourage himself.

He got on a cab. It was only 9:15, he can surely make it on time. Taekwoon arrived at the café 10 minutes early but he was surprised to see that Hongbin was already there. Sitting on a corner, all eyes were on Hongbin. There were girls giggling and chattering. Even the lady on the counter was staring at him. Hongbin looked like he just popped out  from a magazine cover. He looked so charming and so manly no wonder why girls and even some dudes were staring at him.

When Hongbin saw Taekwoon enter the café, he immediately waved his hand and called out to the other man, catching everyone’s attention. Now all eyes were on Taekwoon. The giggles and the chattering of the girls at the café got louder. “Omo! He’s so beautiful. Are they together?” “Ah. They look so good together. They’re the perfect couple. They’re both handsome and beautiful. Ugh! Just get married already.“ The girls whispered to each other. Taekwoon blushed from the sudden attention he was getting. A tinge of pink was clearly visible from his cheeks. He walked towards Hongbin shyly. Hongbin stood up to greet the younger male.

“Good morning Hongbin hyung. I’m sorry I was late.” Taekwoon greeted shyly. “Good morning Taekwoon. It’s okay. I’m just early.” Hongbin replied with a bright smile on his face, patting the younger man on the head. Taekwoon sat on the chair across Hongbin, ready to take out the papers from his bag. “No need to rush Taekwoon. I’ll order us some coffee first. We’ll talk about it over coffee. Okay?” Hongbin said and Taekwoon nodded in agreement. Hongbin stood up and went to the counter to order their drinks.

He got two coffee lattes for the both of them, one with less sugar and cream for Taekwoon. He looked at the direction of the younger male. Taekwoon was sitting silently, legs crossed, Hongbin can’t help but stare. He was suddenly disrupted when the lady at the counter got his attention. “Here’s your order sir!” The young girl said clearing . “Uhm.. Your friend is really handsome and beautiful!” She added. She can’t help but comment when she caught Hongbin staring in admiration at Taekwoon. Hongbin was suddenly surprised by the comment. But he can’t help but agree, so he just smiled brightly and nodded. Ah. Indeed. He really is beautiful isn’t he? Hongbin thought.

Hongbin walked towards their table with a tray of two coffees and a plate of French toasts. After Hongbin placed them on their table, Taekwoon looked up at Hongbin. “It’s my treat!” Hongbin beamed, his deep cute dimples adorned his face. “Thank you Hyung. I’ll treat you next time.” Taekwoon said, smiling back. For the first few hours, they were talking about work most of the time, but they had no problems conversing. They were talking comfortably. “Ah. Speaking of which, can I see your work now? I’m too excited.” Hongbin asked.

Taekwoon nodded and handed his work nervously. Hongbin reached out to get the papers. Taekwoon  was fidgeting while looking at Hongbin browsing through the pages. He was looking intently at Hongbin to read his expression. Hongbin  looked so serious the whole time. He had a stoic expression. Ah. This is making me nervous. Is it not good enough? Was the development too slow? Ah. I’m going to get rejected. Taekwoon was now debating to himself. Hi head hang low, fidgeting like a nervous child waiting to be scolded.

“Taekwoon.” Hongbin said slightly surprising the fidgeting male. Oh no. This is going to be bad. Taekwoon thought to himself. He was nervous to say anything so he just looked up at Hongbin. He was surprised to see the other man smiling brightly at him. “Aigoo! This is so cute. I knew you could do it. This is perfect. I’m sure everyone will love this. “ Hongbin exclaimed in excitement. Taekwoon sighed in relief, “I’m glad you like it hyung!”. He is now smiling, the older male can’t help but stare again and be taken by Taekwoon’s beautiful smile. “Ah.. Beautiful indeed.” Hongbin unconsciously said. Taekwoon looked at him in confusion. Hongbin was shocked when he realized that he voiced out what he was thinking. His face was now red from embarrassment.  “Uhm.. The story.. the story is beautiful. I think it’s beautiful how friendship can turn into something stronger and as beautiful as love.” Hongbin stuttered trying to save himself from embarrassment.  Taekwoon’s eyes widened from the comment. “That’s exactly what I think hyung! It really is beautiful right?! Even as friends, I think that it is already beautiful, they are always there for each other.” Taekwoon said excitedly like a kid. “Ah so cute!” Hongbin added, unconsciously voicing out again his thoughts. “Uhm.. I meant Ravi and Laine are so cute! I loved the scene when Laine ate the food Ravi cooked. Hahaha.. I can’t even recognize that it was a fish. It looked like charcoal from the drawing. That was really cute!” Hongbin said, he found that part really cute. “Right! Right! It was like charcoal indeed. Hahahaha. I liked that scene too.” Taekwoon agreed. “And the part when Ravi broke Laine’s crayon. Hahaha.” Hongbin was now laughing while discussing the scene. “Then Wonshik cried instead! Hahahaha!” Taekwoon added, joining Hongbin in laughter.  “Wonshik?” Hongbin asked confused. “Sorry. I meant Ravi. Hehe.” Taekwoon’s laughter died down. He was now blushing from suddenly getting so caught up in the moment that he actually said his best friend’s name.  “Haha. This is really good Taek. I can’t wait for our boss to see this masterpiece. I’m sure it will get approved immediately.” Hongbin complimented. “Thank you Hyung.” Taekwoon said, relieved that Hongbin liked it as well.

“By the way Taek, I didn’t see the title of the story. Well, the title can come along later after we get the thumbs up from our boss……… Omo! It’s already 2:00. Let’s go eat some lunch. I didn’t even notice that I was already starving.” Hongbin suggested. Both males stood up from their sits and said thank yous to the staff before leaving. They went to a restaurant, three blocks away from the café. Hongbin drove his car, Taekwoon was on the passenger seat. They ate their lunch while still talking about the project. Hongbin gave some advices on how to draw the characters facial expressions for a certain scene or for a certain emotion. Taekwoon took in all the advises. After their lunch, they went to the park to talk about it some more. They sat comfortably at the park bench. Hongbin bought a hot chocolate drink for Taekwoon. Taekwoon smiled to himself when he remembered that it was Wonshik’s favorite drink during winter. Then suddenly he realized that he had forgotten that he was going to meet Wonshik at their favorite restaurant.

When he opened his phone, he got two missed calls and a text message from Wonshik, it read:

“Hi Taek. How’s the presentation? What time are we going to meet? Should I pick you up at your apartment?” – 4:30 PM

Oh no! It’s already 6:00. The restaurant will close at 7:00. I can’t let Wonshik come to the restaurant now. It’s too late. Taekwoon was now panicking. He texted Wonshik immediately. "Sorry Wonshik. I can’t come. I lost track of time and my phone was in silent mode. I’m really sorry.”

“I’m sorry hyung. I have to go now. I have to go somewhere. Thank you for today. Thank you hyung.” Taekwoon said in a hurry, bowing to Hongbin to say goodbye. He already started running. “Do you need a ride? I’ll take you there.” Hongbin called out. “No need Hyung. It’s okay. See you at the office.” Taekwoon replied and waved goodbye.

He opened his phone when he got on a cab. A text message from Wonshik. "It’s okay Taek. I understand :) "

Aish! I’m really sorry Wonshik. Aish! I almost forgot about the presentation and now I cancelled out on Wonshik. What are you doing Jung Taekwoon? Keep yourself together. Taekwoon mentally scolded himself.