The Ship is Sinking?

Written in Pages

The next day Wonshik came to the office earlier than usual. He greeted every one of his colleagues with a huge smile on his face. He was waving at everybody as if he was running in an election. He wore his best clothes and had put on his favorite perfume. He was so different from the Wonshik everybody saw for the past month. He was giggling and laughing. He was a ball of sunshine to say the least; the only office worker who seemed to be almost too happy to come to the office on a Monday. Even Hakyeon who was known as the happy vitamin couldn’t even compete with Wonshik.

“Good morning my wonderful hyung! Aigoo! You look so good today hyung! Isn’t this day great or what?” Wonshik greeted, his arms draped over Hakyeon’s shoulders who just got to his desk. “Aigoo! This child! You’re so happy now Wonshikie! I’m so happy. This means what I think it means right? Right?” Hakyeon said cheerfully while playfully raising his eyebrows. “I will tell you all about it at lunch! Let’s eat together! My treat! Okay hyung?” Wonshik answered, still giggling and bubbling from happiness. “Okay Wonshikie! See you at lunch!” Hakyeon giggled as well. Both males waved their goodbyes and went to do their respective work. Wonshik was such a happy kid that morning that even when he was answering a client’s call there was a cheerful tone evident from his voice. Everyone looked at him weirdly but all the same, they were happy about it. Wonshik’s good vibes were so infectious.

Their worked in the morning passed by without any problem and soon lunch time came. Wonshik immediately went to Hakyeon’s desk and called out for the older man. They went to a restaurant near their building.  When they were finally seated and had already placed their orders, Hakyeon started out the conversation. “So my little Wonshikie, how was the confession?” Hakyeon asked excitedly, his eyes were opened wide from too much enthusiasm. He was eager to know what the other man was about to announce. He was already preparing a congratulatory speech on his mind. “We are okay now hyung! We finally talked yesterday! I was so happy and relieved. You know that I missed him right. Then he said he missed me too hyung! He said it like 3 times! 3 times hyung! We know that Taekwoon doesn’t talk much! But he actually said it 3 times hyung!” Wonshik exclaimed, giggling a little when he remembered Taekwoon hugging him from the back. Wonshik was acting like a lovesick teenager unable to control his emotions. “WOW! That’s great Wonshikie! Finally you made up! I’m so happy! Aigoo! So how was the confession? What did Taekwoonie say?” Hakyeon asked again; excited to hear all the details about the confession. “Uhm.. Actually hyung… Uhm… I haven’t… confessed yet…” Wonshik stuttered and rubbed the back of his head awkwardly, not sure how to break the news to his excited hyung. “WHAT?!!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU SAYING WONSHIK?! THEN WHY ARE YOU SMILING LIKE YOU’VE WON THE JACKPOT????!!!!!” Hakyeon exclaimed. He was glad that the two best friends finally made up but disappointed that Wonshik didn’t confess yet.  “It felt like it wasn’t the right time?” Wonshik said with a smile on his face trying to lighten up the mood. “YAH! Wipe that smile off your face right now Kim Wonshik!” Hakyeon scolded. He couldn’t contain his disappointment, his motherly instincts were already kicking in. Wonshik pouted a little but he understood his hyung’s frustrations. Even Wonshik was frustrated at himself for that.

“You’ve been waiting to confess for almost forever now Wonshik!” Hakyeon added. Wonshik tried opening his mouth to explain but was immediately cutoff by his hyung mother. “That was the best time you could confess Wonshik. Aish! My Wontaek ship is stuck in the middle of the ocean again. Aigoo! My Wontaek feels. Aigoo!” Hakyeon said dramatically while rubbing his chest as if his heart was hurting. “Wontaek? Wontaek ship?” Wonshik asked curiously. “It’s your couple name babo. Aigoo! It stands for Wonshik and Taekwoon. Wonshik plus Taekwoon is Wontaek. Aigoo! This kid!” Hakyeon answered while slightly glaring at the younger man. Wonshik wanted to laugh at his hyung for giving them such title. He wasn’t aware of this Wontaek thing until now. He kept repeating the word on his mind and decided that he loved it. “Yah! Why are you spacing out Wonshik?! You know, ever since the beginning I’ve been a hardcore Wontaek shipper. Even Jaehwan is supporting this ship with me. So you better let this ship sail Wonshik! I’ve invested too much time and too much emotion for this ship. I’ve grown so attached to it now. Don’t let your ship sink you hear me? Aigoo! My poor heart.” Hakyeon lectured like an angry mother scolding his son for failing an exam. “Okay okay. Calm down hyung. I have a plan. I’ve decided to confess to Taek today. Don’t worry hyung. Okay? I will make sure that this ship will sail. It will not only cross all the oceans of the world but it will travel across the globe! I promise hyung!” Wonshik promised raising his right hand as if to make an oath, his left hand placed on his chest. Hakyeon heaved a sigh after Wonshik’s assurance. At least Wonshik has a plan. He thought.

When Hakyeon has finally calmed down he decided to ask about Wonshik’s plan to make sure that it well go well this time. “So what’s the plan Wonshik?” “I’m glad you asked Hyung!” Wonshik answered excitedly while bringing out a small notebook from his pocket and carefully handed it to the older man. Hakyeon slowly browsed through the pages. Wonshik had written all the details of his plan and even had a flow chart on how the evening should go, the time when he would clock out from the office, the time he would arrive at his apartment, the time he would set everything up, and even the time Taekwoon would arrive. He even had time allowances in case some things wouldn’t go as predicted. It was carefully planned out! Even the floor plan on where he would set up the roses, the candles, the music player, every small detail was intricately drawn. Hakyeon was really amazed on how well thought it was. “Aish! You really are an architect my Wonshikie! Hahaha. This is very amazing!” Hakyeon praised. Wonshik beamed with confidence after hearing the comments from Hakyeon. He had sacrificed his sleep last night to come up with the perfect confession. He even wrote his speech at the last page of the notebook but he wouldn’t want to tell Hakyeon about the details of it. It was too personal after all. “I already texted Taekwoon to come to the apartment around 7:30 in the evening and already got his confirmation. Knowing Taek, it’s either he would be almost 30 minutes early or he will arrive just in time. So just in case, I gave time allowances on each event see. I wrote it right there hyung and I even set an alarm for every milestone!” Wonshik added proudly. “Aigoo! My baby is all grown up. I’m so proud of you my smart boy! Very good Mr. Architect!” Hakyeon said. He smiled at the younger man widely and patted Wonshik’s head like a little child. Wonshik cherished the way Hakyeon praised him, he hated it before because he felt like a kid but this time, he thought, would be the only exception.  After chatting some more and eating their lunch together, Wonshik’s phone started buzzing. It was his alarm reminding him that it was time to go back to work. “Oh! There goes the second alarm hyung! See! Right on time!” Wonshik raised his phone for his hyung to see. “Reminder: Stop arguing with Hakyeon-hyung already and go back to work Wonshik!” The reminder wrote. Hakyeon giggled at how cute Wonshik was acting. It was his first time seeing this side of Wonshik. It was incredible and at the same time amazingly cute.

Both males went to their office afterwards. They both got to their respective desks. Wonshik immediately worked on the paperwork he had left. He worked diligently to make sure that he would finish earlier. At exactly 4:30 in the afternoon Wonshik finished all of his work and had already turned off his computer. He waved goodbye to Hakyeon. Hakyeon gave him a heartfelt “Fighting!” to cheer for the younger man.

Wonshik got home at exactly 5:00. He checked his phone, another reminder came buzzing in. Exactly on time. Wonshik thought. Everything seemed to be going perfectly as planned. The flowers he ordered had already arrived. He cleaned the house. Scattered the rose petals from the door to the hallway, white flameless flickering tealight candles were carefully aligned from both sides to make it look like a path leading to the living room where more rose petals were scattered. He carefully placed his iPod on his speaker and had prepared a playlist he would play for the background music. He had already even posted a sign at the door that says “I’m unlocked! Please come in.”.  It was still 6:30 in the evening. All that’s left is to wait for Taekwoon to come. He placed his phone on the couch. He knew Taekwoon wasn’t fond of texting and for sure he wouldn’t text Wonshik if he’s already by the door anyway.

He checked his table drawer again to make sure that his gift for Taekwoon was still there. He was starting to get anxious and nervous. He tried hard to calm himself down. He was breathing in and out a few times to relax. Every minute seemed to be passing too slowly but Wonshik patiently waited.

When he heard the knob turning he immediately got into place. His heart was racing fast. He got to the center of the living room, right in the middle where the rose petals were scattered. He was already kneeling on one knee. His head hanged low, his eyes closed as if he was in a silent prayer. His left hand was gently holding a bouquet of white camellias, Taekwoon’s favorite flowers.

When he felt the other was already in front of him, he gulped; taking in all the nerves he had mustered for this one moment. He immediately raised the flowers. “Taekwoon! I know this is too sudden.. But.. I really…” Wonshik exclaimed but was immediately cutoff. “Wonshik oppa! It’s me Minji!” Minji rebutted. “WHAT???!!!!!!” Wonshik’s eyes widened from shock. He had his head hang low and eyes closed. He didn’t know that it wasn’t Taekwoon who was in front of him. He was stunned and couldn’t even utter a single word. The embarrassment dawned on him, he turned bright red. Aish! Why did I close my eyes! Stupid Wonshik! Stupid! Wonshik mentally scolded himself. Wonshik immediately stood up.

“Sorry oppa. I came at a bad time. You promised to lend me Leo-ssi’s mangas today. We talked about it last week. Remember? I even texted you 5 minutes ago Wonshik-oppa. Sorry! Joesonghamnida!” Minji said apologetically and bowed her head multiple times while saying sorry. Wonshik just patted her head and apologized as well. It was his fault too that he forgot to cancel his meeting with Minji. Wonshik and Minji just laughed it off. “Fighting oppa! I’ll leave now okay. Tell me the details too.” Minji waved goodbye and winked at the older man. Wonshik blushed again. When Minji was about to step out of the circle her foot landed on a petal and almost fell if it wasn’t for Wonshik grabbing her. They stood up properly together, Wonshik’s hand still holding onto Minji’s arm for support. Wonshik was shocked when he saw Taekwoon standing on the living room, staring at them in surprise. He had a pained expression on his face. “Sorry! I interrupted! I’ll leave now. Sorry! I’ll just text you later Wonshik. Sorry! Sorry!” Taekwoon exclaimed and bowed aggressively a few times. Wonshik and Minji just stood there,  still in shock. They couldn’t even say a single word. Taekwoon immediately rushed out of the apartment. “Taekwoon! Wait! Let me explain! Taek! Please! Come back!” Wonshik called out when he finally got his senses back but Taekwoon was already running too fast. Wonshik tried to get close to him but he was already too late. Wonshik ran back to his apartment again. He rushed to the living room to get the gift he was going to give to Taekwoon. “Sorry Minji! I have to go. Just close the door. Okay? Sorry!” Wonshik said to Minji while he was running down the hallway. “Okay Wonshik-oppa! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Joesonghamnida! Sorry! Joesonghamnida!” Minji exclaimed in reply while bowing a few more times even though Wonshik was already at the entry way. She felt guilty and almost cried about what happened. She hoped that she didn’t ruin anything.

When Wonshik was finally outside of the apartment complex, he grabbed a cab to go to Taekwoon’s apartment. “Please be at your apartment Taekwoon-ah. Sorry! Please don’t misunderstand. Please Taekwoon. Please. Please be at your apartment. Please Taekwoon-ah.” Wonshik chanted a few times like a mantra. 

 

Aish! I failed again! Why am I so unlucky? Aish! Stupid Wonshik! Wonshik mentally scolded himself while the words of his Hakyeon hyung kept ringing in his ear. “Don’t let your ship sink Wonshik! Don’t let your ship sink!”