The Confrontation

Written in Pages

“How was the confession Wonshik?” Hakyeon pried when he saw Wonshik on his desk; his head buried on his arms. Wonshik looked up at Hakyeon, his eyes were puffy and red. “Hmm.. based from how hellish you look right now I bet you didn’t even confess at all.” Hakyeon said in disappointment, shaking his head from side to side, arms crossed. “It’s over hyung. It’s over. My life is over. My unrequited love is over. In the end, it was never returned. He has another man now.” Wonshik said, his head hanged low trying to fight back the tears. “What do you mean Wonshik?” Hakyeon asked confused.

Wonshik went to Taekwoon’s apartment last night. He had already planned on confessing to Taekwoon. After his shift ended, he immediately went out to a flower shop to buy Taekwoon’s favorite flowers. On his way to his best friend’s apartment, he had written all the words he wanted to say. When he arrived, he was greeted by Grandma Annie who was throwing out her garbage. “Oh! Wonshikie. I haven’t seen you for a while. Are you going to visit Woonie?” Wonshik nodded at the older woman’s question and helped her out with her chore. He was still a little nervous so he wasn’t able to answer properly. “Hmm.. I should have given three slices then if I had known that you were also coming.” Grandma Annie added while patting the back of Wonshik for helping her out. Wonshik got curious from what Grandma Annie had said but chose to ignore it. “That’s okay Grandma Annie. This is a surprise visit after all.” Wonshik smiled at her brightly. The older woman smiled back and waved goodbye at Wonshik. Wonshik went up the stairs nervously a bouquet of white camellias on his right hand while his other hand was holding on to a piece of paper where he had written his confession, he was practicing his lines, reading and rereading the words he had written on the paper. He was now one apartment unit away from Taekwoon’s when he saw Hongbin walking out from Taekwoon’s apartment. He saw Hongbin lovingly rubbing his best friends head, Taekwoon had a bright smile on his face. It made Wonshik boil from jealousy. All the hurtful events that happened for the past weeks came crashing on him again like wave after wave dragging him deeply into the pitch black depth of sorrow. He couldn’t bear to look at them anymore. So he ran. He ran down the stairs, his eyes were blurry from the tears that kept flowing. He stumbled down the garbage cans that were neatly placed on front of the apartment building, the camellia flowers he bought were now ruined from the impact, he left it there. Without looking back, he grabbed a cab and went home. He cried himself to sleep that night.

“What do you mean Taekwoon has another man now Wonshik?” Hakyeon repeated and placed his hand on Wonshik’s back rubbing it gently to comfort the other man. He was confused by the sudden news. “I saw a man walking out of his apartment. They looked happy together. They looked so good together too Hyung!” Wonshik answered, he wanted to say it was Hongbin but opted not to because he didn’t want to worry Hakyeon since he knew they were brothers. But Hakyeon noticed Wonshik averting his gaze when he asked who the other man was. Hakyeon had a realization and immediately called his brother when he was away from Wonshik’s line of sight. He asked Hongbin to meet him at his apartment.

 Hakyeon went straight to his apartment after his shift ended and waited for his younger brother. He was thinking back at what happened at the party too trying to solve the missing piece he had missed to see. He was broken out of his thoughts when he heard knocks on his door. He walked to the door and was glad to see that it was Hongbin.

“Hi Hyung. What’s the matter?” Hongbin asked after Hakyeon opened the door for him. “We have to talk Hongbin.” Hakyeon answered in a worried voice. “Okay hyung. What’s this about? Why are you so serious?” Hongbin followed after hanging his coat and scarf on a coat stand. They sat together on Hakyeon’s sofa at the living room. Hongbin felt awkward from the silence and the sudden seriousness from Hakyeon’s voice a while ago. “Hongbin? Did you go to Taekwoonie’s apartment last night?” Hakyeon asked suddenly breaking the silence. “Hmm.. yeah. I went there to check up on him and see if he had some problems with the manga. The deadline is drawing closer after all.” Hongbin felt that a simple yes won’t do so he explained the whole reason why he was there. Hakyeon’s suspicion was confirmed based on Hongbin’s confession. He was positive that it was Hongbin who Wonshik was referring to as the other man. He wanted to clear the misunderstanding so he told Hongbin what happened, leaving the part that Wonshik was about to confess that night to not make things too complicated. “You see Hongbin. I think Wonshik is jealous of you. Last night he saw you with Taekwoon at his apartment. I think he had the wrong idea. Hmm.. I also think that Wonshik was acting like a jerk at the party because he was jealous of seeing you close to Taekwoon.”

“What?!!!!!” Hongbin exclaimed, his eyes opened wider. “But I didn’t do anything hyung! I was just glad to see Taekwoon at the party. And I went to his apartment last night because I was getting worried. He wasn’t answering my texts and calls that’s why I visited him personally. There was nothing more. I swear Hyung!” Hongbin explained defensively, his voice raised a little louder. “I know Hongbin. I know. But Wonshik doesn’t. He’s a little too protective when it comes to Taekwoon and he felt threatened when he thought that you were taking Taekwoon away from him.” Hakyeon explained calmly. He knew that Hongbin didn’t mean to hurt Wonshik. “I need to talk to Wonshik, hyung! Please. I need to clear things up before it gets worse. I can’t stand to see Taekwoon getting hurt anymore.” Hongbin pleaded. Hakyeon just gave him a pat on the shoulder and a soft sad smile. Hakyeon was amazed by Hongbin’s bravery and strong feelings for Taekwoon. Even in this kind of situation, Hongbin was still thinking of Taekwoon’s happiness before his own. It was supposed to be an opportunity for Hongbin to gain the upper hand, but he never even thought of taking advantage of it. Instead all he wanted was for Taekwoon to be okay again. All he ever wished for was Taekwoon’s happiness.

“I’m so proud of you my little brother. You’re all grown up now.” Hakyeon hugged Hongbin tightly. He was really proud of how a good and mature man his brother came to be. “I’ll go set up a date with Wonshik. Don’t worry okay. Let you’re big brother handle this.”

The next day, Hakyeon asked Wonshik to meet up with him at a nearby restaurant. It was good that both Wonshik and Hongbin were free that weekend. He didn’t tell Wonshik that Hongbin was coming with them. He knew that Wonshik would reject him immediately if he found out. Hakyeon sat nervously at the restaurant while waiting for the two males. Wonshik arrived first. His eyes looked tired from the lack of sleep and he looked even worse than yesterday. Hakyeon waved at him with a sad smile and motioned him to come to their table. He was about to sit down, when Hakyeon saw Hongbin by the restaurant’s door. Wonshik turned around to see who his hyung was waving to. He was surprised to see Hongbin coming closer. He can’t do this right now. He can’t face Hongbin now after what happened. Wonshik wanted to walk out but Hakyeon held his arm firmly not letting him go. When Hongbin was now standing in front of him, Wonshik bowed and greeted the other man. Hakyeon smiled and greeted Hongbin as well. Hongbin sat across Wonshik while Hakyeon was seated in the middle of the two. They ate their lunch in silence. Nobody was uttering a single word. All eyes were on their respective plates. It was awkward.

“Well. Uhm.. The food was delicious right?” Hakyeon said, trying to break the silence after they ate. “Yes hyung. It was delicious.” Hongbin answered awkwardly while slightly glancing at Wonshik. Wonshik didn’t answer but he smiled back at the two brothers. When they went out of the restaurant, Wonshik decided it was time to go but Hakyeon stopped him again from walking out. “Why don’t you two talk for a while? I’ll leave you two alone so you could talk in private. Okay?” Hakyeon suggested, looking at Wonshik and Hongbin nervously. “Thanks Hyung! Why don’t we go to the nearby park Wonshik? So that we could talk more.” Hongbin turned around to face Wonshik. Wonshik didn’t really want to go but he didn’t want to look disrespectful and he also wanted to get to know the man who had taken his best friend’s heart. So Wonshik just nodded in agreement. Hongbin and Hakyeon felt relieved by the response. Hakyeon bid farewell to the two males but before he left he mouthed a silent “Fighting!” to his younger brother.

Hongbin and Wonshik went to the nearby park and sat on the bench. Even though it was a little cold, the sun was up. Hongbin was thankful that the weather was great and that it would be okay for them to talk at the park without freezing to death. “So Wonshik.” Hongbin started to get the other man’s attention. Wonshik just hummed in response and kept playing on the corner of his jacket as if it was the most interesting thing. “I’m sorry if I caused you any pain. I didn’t mean to.” Hongbin was about to continue but he was immediately cutoff by Wonshik. “It’s okay Hyung! I know what happened. You don’t have to apologize. I’m happy for the both of you. I’m okay.” Wonshik interrupted. The words that came out of his mouth tasted bitter. He wasn’t happy at all. He was jealous, he was suffering, he can feel his heart shattering, he felt betrayed. But he had put on a mask. He smiled at Hongbin to convince the other man that it was okay.

But Hongbin wasn’t convinced at all. He knew too well how much it hurts to see the one you love, love someone else. He knew too well the feeling of having feelings that will never be returned back. That’s  why he didn’t want Wonshik to waste his chance. He didn’t want Taekwoon to end up chasing for someone who had already given up on him. He wanted to cheer for Wonshik. “Wonshik. Taekwoon and I..” Hongbin was about to explain that everything was a misunderstanding but Wonshik interrupted him again. “I already know hyung!” Wonshik exclaimed, his hands clenched in frustration. Wonshik didn’t want to hear about Hongbin and Taekwoon’s relationship right now. He didn’t want to hear it straight from Hongbin. He couldn’t handle it. He was afraid that he would break down and cry. If Hongbin confessed that he is now together with Taekwoon, he wouldn’t know what to do. He doesn’t want to know. He doesn’t want to hear. He can’t accept it now. He wanted to ask for more time before he could take it all in. “I’m happy for you and Taekwoon. You make a great couple Hyung! It’s okay hyung. I had already given up. Please take care of him.” Wonshik said while fighting back the tears. No. He hasn’t given up yet. He didn’t want to let go, but what can he do now. It’s already too late. He thought.

Hongbin suddenly stood up from his seat and grabbed Wonshik by the collar, surprising the other male. Hongbin was boiling in anger and frustration. He didn’t understand what Wonshik was talking about. He didn’t understand how easily it was for Wonshik to give up on Taekwoon. He felt insulted by how easy it was for Wonshik to throw away his feelings just like that. “Listen to me damnit! Do you even know how lucky you are Wonshik?!” Hongbin exclaimed and released the other man down gently. “Do you even know how much I wish I could be you even just for a moment? I love him Wonshik but he doesn’t love me back! He can’t love me back because all along his heart always belonged to you! You were blinded by your jealousy that you didn’t even notice how proud he was when he saw you up the stage at the party. He was looking at you with such affection and love. Every day, I wished that he would look at me like that too. Even just for a moment, even just for a second. But it will never happen Wonshik!  You acted so foolishly that you ended up hurting him. When you rejected him and went to another girl, have you seen his teary eyes? It pained him to see you choosing her before him. And it pains me to know that even after that he would always still choose you! He would always choose you Wonshik above everything else! So please Wonshik! Stop hurting Taekwoon.”

Hongbin walked out, tears flowing from his eyes. Wonshik was left there stunned, he didn’t notice that there were tears running down his face too.