The Friendzone Mayor

Written in Pages

After a few minutes, Wonshik’s hands were still caressing Taekwoon’s face. When Wonshik noticed his best friend blushing, he immediately let go and turned his back to Taekwoon to hide his blush. ”Ah…Uhm.. Here. Porridge… Rice porridge.. I made you… “ Wonshik stuttered not even able to form a descent sentence. His heart was beating faster and faster every second, blood was rushing to his brain way too fast. He wasn’t able to think properly. “Okay Shik. Thank you!” Taekwoon replied and stood beside his best friend to help him cook the rice porridge.

Wonshik stepped closer and place his hand on Taekwoon’s forehead to check his temperature. Wonshik heaved a sigh of relief when he felt that Taekwoon’s fever has already died down. Taekwoon just giggled at how motherly Wonshik was acting. “I’m okay now. Thank you Wonshik!” Taekwoon said while trying hard to stop the giggles from coming. Wonshik just smirked and pinched the other man’s cheeks. “Aigoo! This child. I told you to close the windows every time you go to sleep. Good thing that you’re okay now. Aigoo! Just live with me so I can take care of you.” Wonshik accidentally blurted out. He covered his mouth immediately and started blushing real hard. Taekwoon just stood there stunned by the sudden suggestion, his eyes were opened wide but when he saw his best friend almost dying from embarrassment, he started laughing. “YAH! Stop laughing Jung Taekwoon!” Wonshik exclaimed while his face was still flushed red from embarrassment. “Yes mother! I’m sorry. HAHAHAHAHA.” Taekwoon commented, trying hard to stop himself from laughing. When Taekwoon couldn’t stop it anymore Wonshik joined in too. Wonshik’s loud laugh echoed in the whole room. It made Taekwoon’s laugh stop then he smiled brightly, his heart fluttered. After all, he loves the sound of Wonshik’s laughter. Ah. I really missed this. I missed hearing your voice. I miss hearing your laugh. I miss seeing your smile. Taekwoon thought not noticing that Wonshik was looking at him too. Ah. This smile. I really missed seeing this. How did I survive even a day without you Taekwoon. Your soft voice, your cute little giggles, those feline like eyes. Aish! I really missed you Taek.

Both males were taken out of their trance when the rice porridge started bubbling signaling that it was already cooked. Taekwoon immediately grabbed two bowls from the kitchen cupboard and handed it to Wonshik, while Wonshik poured the porridge into the bowl and gave it back to Taekwoon so he can place it on the table. Like the usual, they worked in sync when handling chores.

After setting up their food on the table, they sat at the dining area. They talked about work, what they were doing on the past days, and their busy schedules. They laughed, and talked some more over dinner. It was like their usual but the longing in each other’s story and the looks they gave each other was more than enough to tell that there was something different now. It wasn’t just simply talking and laughing about random things over dinner anymore; it became more than that. It was somewhat intimate like they were on their world, just the two of them.

After having their dinner, the two males sat on the living room couch. Wonshik the TV while Taekwoon grabbed his notebook from his room to start off again with his manga. They sat close near each other; Wonshik’s right arm rested on Taekwoon’s shoulder while Taekwoon was leaning in a little closer. “Hmmm.. How’s the manga going Taek?” Wonshik asked his left hand was busy pressing on the remote buttons trying to find a descent show to watch. “I’m stuck with Chapter 9 for days now. I don’t know how to draw the part where Laine would confess to Ravi. I don’t know how to even start it off.” Taekwoon answered, frustration was evident on his tone. Wonshik removed his arm from Taekwoon’s shoulder gently and placed the remote on the coffee table. “But why would Laine confess to Ravi? I think Ravi should confess his feelings to Laine first since he had always been in love with Laine. And I think it’s about time for Ravi to man up. I mean he’s been in love with his best friend since the beginning of time right? What if someone steals Laine from him? Laine is so beautiful many handsome guys would surely fall in love with her. What if a handsome prince-like-guy who had the most adorable dimples and had the kindest heart confessed to her? Ravi would surely loose her! Ravi will be very devastated don’t you think? Ravi should just confess! Ravi should just confess right? He should confess!” Wonshik explained animatedly, his voice getting a little louder with every point as if he wasn’t even talking about the manga anymore.  

Taekwoon just looked at him confused and seriously considered the idea but he can’t imagine it. “Hmmm… You have a good point Wonshik. But I think that Laine should confess because she’s in love with Ravi too. She’s been in love with her ever since they were still kids. She tried hard to hide it because he was afraid to ruin their friendship. She’s been in love with Ravi for years but she kept on fighting back herself and kept ignoring her feelings and making ‘being just comfortable’ as an excuse. So I think she should just confess and put more trust into their friendship. I mean, if she gets rejected I’m sure it won’t ruin their friendship right? She should stop lying to herself and admit her feelings to Ravi.” Taekwoon rebutted, his emotions showing in every word he uttered. Wonshik was taken aback. He can’t help but think and hope that they weren’t talking about the manga anymore. His face flushed red from the thought. “Uhm.. That’s what I think and I haven’t got any confessions yet in my whole life. I don’t know how to draw that.” Taekwoon added shyly when he felt that the situation was getting awkward. Wonshik was taken out of his daze when he heard the last comment from Taekwoon. “What do you mean you haven’t received any confessions?” Wonshik asked confused. He remembered his best friend almost getting at least 2 confessions a month when they were in high school and the amount of confessions even doubled when they were still at the university; it even varied from beautiful girls to the most popular boys on the campus.  “Stop teasing Wonshik. You know I haven’t ever since.” Taekwoon answered with a pout. Wonshik became more confused when he realized that his best friend was being serious about it.

 

He even clearly remembered his little brother Hyuk confessing to Taekwoon when they were in high school. It was after their school fair when Hyuk asked Taekwoon out to meet him at the back of their building. Hyuk was obviously Taekwoon’s favorite dongsaeng. Even when they were little kids, he would let Hyuk hold onto him even though he doesn’t like too much skinship. Wonshik was anxious about the situation but chose not to intervene. He stood silently behind a tree where he wouldn’t be noticed. He didn’t mean to pry but he couldn’t stop himself. He thought it was the end of his unrequited love so he had to witness it himself. “Hyung.. I.. uhm.. I..” Hyuk started. “I like you hyung! Please go out with me?!” Hyuk suddenly exclaimed loudly, his voice cracked a little from being too nervous. Taekwoon was taken by surprise but confusion was evident from his expression. Taekwoon gently patted and rubbed Hyuk’s head. “Aigoo! Is that all? You don’t have to go all this way to ask me out. Of course I’ll come with you. Where would you like to go Hyuk?” Taekwoon looked down and smiled brightly and innocently at Hyuk. When Wonshik heard Taekwoon’s response he face palmed himself hard, his forehead almost bruised from too much force. He pitied his little brother for getting rejected so kindly and innocently. He expected Hyuk to cry or get angry like he usually was when he doesn’t get what he wants. He was surprised to hear Hyuk laughing hard. When he looked at the two males again, Hyuk was crouched down, hands on his stomach while laughing too hard. Taekwoon just stood there confused, a cute little pout adorning his face. “What’s so funny Hyuk? Why are you laughing?” Hyuk gained his composure and stood up. He placed his hands on Taekwoon’s face cupping it lovingly between his hands. “You’re so cute and innocent hyung! I really like you the most. Please give me a hug. I think I need a hug now.” Hyuk said while looking at Taekwoon’s eyes lovingly. Taekwoon granted Hyuk’s request and hugged him tightly. That afternoon, the three of them went home together, Hyuk was tightly holding Taekwoon’s hand while Wonshik was walking silently beside Taekwoon. He let his little brother enjoy that moment because he felt like Hyuk deserved it. The next day Wonshik became afraid that things would get awkward between the three of them but that was not the case. Hyuk was his cheerful self again and even boldly talked about it with Wonshik.  “Wonshik-hyung! I’ll be in your care. We are now both residents of the friendzone. But since you haven’t confessed yet I am officially appointing you as the friendzone mayor. Hahahahaha. Fighting!” Hyuk exclaimed teasingly making his older brother choke out from the water he was drinking.   

 

Wonshik was taken out his thoughts when he felt a finger poking his cheek. “Hey Wonshik what are you thinking? You’re zoning out and smiling all by yourself. You’re being creepy” Taekwoon said while still lightly poking his best friend’s cheek. “I just remembered a funny story. Hahaha. Don’t mind me.” Wonshik answered, his brave little brother still in his thoughts.

After an hour of talking and laughing, Wonshik decided it was time to go home. Taekwoon ushered him on his way out and made their usual promises to each other every time they bid goodbye. “Be careful on your way home Wonshik. Text me the plate number of the cab then text me when you get home. Text me immediately okay. Promise me?” Taekwoon said sternly while helping his friend out of the entry way. Wonshik looked at him with loving eyes. He really missed these moments when he would bid goodbye. He missed hearing those caring and loving words from his best friend. “Yes Sir Taekwoon Sir!” Wonshik exclaimed while giving a salute, a playful smile adorning his lips. “I promise. Get some sleep okay? Lock the doors. Don’t forget to close the windows, if you get sick because of it again I’ll chain it up for you so it would never open again. Got it? Promise me Taek.” “Yes Sir Wonshik Sir” Taekwoon teased back and gave a playful salute to his best friend as well. After bidding their farewells, Wonshik went home happy and relieved that night.

When he got to his apartment, he immediately dialed Hyuk’s number. After a few minutes it got connected. “Sup’ mayor?” Hyuk answered playfully. “Sup’ my fellow citizen?” Wonshik answered teasing back. “Hahahahaha! Why are you calling me this late hyung? I’d rather hear Taekwoon-hyung’s angelic voice though. Hahahaha.” Hyuk said, his laugh booming from the phone’s speaker. “YAH! This kid! I heard from mom that you would call Taek often. You only call me twice a month. Sometimes you don’t even answer my calls!” Wonshik whined, his little brother just laughed off at his antics. “Sorry mayor. Priorities you know. PRIORITIES. Hahahahaha…” Hyuk teased again, still laughing cheerfully. Wonshik just heaved a sigh in defeat. “So what do you want to say to me hyung? Is something wrong?” Hyuk asked seriously this time. “I decided to confess to Taekwoon tomorrow.” Wonshik answered boldly not giving any more excuses. “WOW! WONSHIK HYUNG THAT’S GREAT! Finally! After what seemed to be forever you’re finally going to confess! I’m so proud of you hyung! Fighting!” Hyuk exclaimed, his heartfelt congratulatory message made Wonshik happy as well. Wonshik was also proud of his little brother for being mature and brave. Before Wonshik could say thank you he was cut off by Hyuk who was still very enthusiastic about the news. “I have to tell our fellow friendzone comrades about this news. This is really worthy of a headline! Hahahahaha! I can imagine their expressions now. Those poor tortured souls! Hahahahaha” Hyuk said excitedly while laughing a little evilly. “YAH! Don’t do that Hyuk! You’re even more evil now. Hahahahaha. “ Wonshik laughed as well from his little brother’s cute teasing. “But seriously hyung. I’m really proud of you. Fighting! Go for it mayor.” Hyuk said and bid farewell to his older brother.

Wonshik slept the whole night with a smile on his face. Tomorrow is going to mark the day he would finally resign as the friendzone mayor. Hopefully at least.