Laine and Ravi

Written in Pages

“Hmmm.. I have an idea Wonshik. Maybe we can start the story on Ravi and Laine’s second year in high school with them being classmates since first year. Do you think that would be a good idea? Like their loved blossomed from their first year together then it gradually developed on their second year?“ Taekwoon asked, still deep in thought. “Hmmmm… That would be okay. But I was thinking that maybe they have a longer amount of time to get to know each other. Like maybe they have known each other for years and they realized they loved each other when they started attending high school.” Wonshik suggested. “I see... Hmmm…” Taekwoon answered thinking of Wonshik’s suggestion.

“Oh I know! I know! What if they had been best friends since kindergarten, you know, like us,?” Taekwoon exclaimed excitedly with the sudden idea. “Wha… cough cough… like what?... cough cough… like us????” Wonshik was now choking up on the warm coffee he was drinking. He was too shocked by the sudden idea. What do you mean like us? Do you mean that there is a possibility that love can blossom between the two of us too? Do I have a chance? Dammit! Stop thinking heart. Let the brain do the thinking. Yah! Stop pounding you crazy organ! Wonshik was mentally scolding himself. He did not notice the other man’s arm on his back helping him out from his coughing fit.

“Hmmm… Yeah.. You know.. Like us. Like siblings. I think that would be a great start right? And I can also draw an inspiration from us. I can draw comfortably about that since I know the feeling of having a childhood best friend. Maybe I can draw the first few chapters about their beautiful friendship. We can start from there right?” Taekwoon suggested, ideas rushing through his head like a bullet train. “Oh… Yeah! That would be great. A beautiful friendship ha?.. Hmm… Like siblings. That’s good.” Wonshik agreed but with a sad smile on his face. It felt like he was kicked in the guts. There was a sudden pang in his heart. Hmm.. yeah… just like siblings. He was just talking about our friendship. Aigoo. It hurts! Oh ! Shots fired! Right in the heart. Right in the freakin’ heart Taek! Abort Wonshik. Mission abort! Crawl back to the zone. Crawl back to the friend zone dammit.  Take cover.

“How can their love be developed from there?” Wonshik asked, trying hard to distract himself.  “Hmmm.. “ Taekwoon was now looking at his paper. Trying hard to picture the scenario. “Hmmm… I’m not really sure yet. But I believe that love can really blossom from something as deep as friendship. Don’t you think it’s beautiful? To fall in love with the person you have known for years? To fall in love with the person who had always been there no matter what? Ah… I really think that’s beautiful. Don’t you think so Wonshik-ah?” Taekwoon answered while smiling. When he looked up at Wonshik, they met eye to eye. Wonshik had a beautiful smile on his face. His eyes were filled with something Taekwoon can’t fathom. His gaze was beautiful. Taekwoon can see from his eyes that he was looking solely at him.  Taekwoon was now blushing from the attention Wonshik was giving. What the hell Wonshik! Stop looking at me like that. Ah this is bad. I can’t turn away. I can’t break the eye contact. Ah. Your smile is as beautiful as always Wonshik-ah. What’s the matter? Why are you looking at me like that? ! Why am I blushing like an idiot? That’s just how Wonshik normally is. Stop it Jung Taekwoon. What are you doing? Turn away now. Don’t look into his eyes! Dammit. Turn away now. Alarms were now booming in Taekwoon’s mind so he decided to finally turn away from the other man’s gaze.

 

When Taekwoon turned away, Wonshik broke out from his trance as well. Both males are now blushing. Both trying to turn away from each other to hide each other’s expressions.

“Ah… I agree with you Taek” Wonshik said rubbing at the back of his head, trying to cut off the awkward silence. “Uhmm… ye.. yeah.” Taekwoon is now stuttering. He finds it difficult to say any coherent words due to embarrassment and the sudden feeling he had in his chest that he did not understand. “Let me make some more coffee?” Taekwoon suggested. He needs to get a space for himself now because dammit his heart is pounding like crazy! On the sink, away from Wonshik’s line of sight, Taekwoon clenched his hands into his chest, trying hard to calm it down. Calm down Jung Taekwoon. It’s just Wonshik. What’s the problem? Why are you acting weird all of a sudden? Calm down. Think about your project. You have a deadline for goodness sake. You don’t have time for this. Whatever this is. By the time the coffee was ready, Taekwoon had already calmed down. He reasoned out that maybe he was just taken aback by the sudden change in Wonshik’s expression and that maybe the stress of the deadline was getting to his nerves. Yeah! That must be it. Taekwoon thought.

“Here’s your coffee. Let’s start with the first scene?” Taekwoon suggested, handing out the coffee to Wonshik. “Okay. Hmm… The first scene should be about how they met right?” Wonshik raised an eyebrow, waiting for the other male’s response. “Yes. We should start with that. So it would be the kindergarten scene.” Taekwoon answered.

“Oh I know! Remember the time we first met in kindergarten? Omo! You were so scary back then. You had a very stoic expression. Most of our classmates were terrified of you. I could barely hear you introduction. Hahahahahaha…” Wonshik suggested, laughing at the memory of the very first time they met. “Yah! I was a little shy back then. It was my first day you know. I was really nervous. And what about you? You even got my name wrong. You called me Taeloon on the very first day. It sounded like a name from a Chinese mafia. You even broke my crayon then you cried. I was even the one who comforted you. What the hell was with the sudden development you crybaby.” Taekwoon retorted and started joining Wonshik in fits of laughter as well. “I was scared of you, I thought you were going to punch me that’s why I cried.” Wonshik was now laughing hysterically. Wiping happy tears from his eyes, he added, “Hmm.. I think you can draw that type of scene for the first pages Taek. That would make it cute. Like Laine was the new kid and Ravi was the first kid to break her favorite crayon.”

Taekwoon was now thinking hard on the suggestion Wonshik made. Then suddenly he realized.. “YAH! Does it mean that I’m Laine? Why do I have to be the girl? Then does it mean that you’re Ravi? Why do you have to be the main male character? Yah Wonshik-ah!”

“Hahahahahaha… calm down Taek. Okay okay… I’ll be Laine and you’ll be Ravi.. Is that okay now?” Wonshik said still laughing at the cute antics of his best friend. Taekwoon was now blushing again. “No. I can be Laine. You can be Ravi so you can put that tough-bad-boy persona you think you have to good use.” Taekwoon smirked. “Why you! I don’t have a tough-bad-boy persona. I have a tough-handsome-boy-next-door kind of vibe.” Wonshik smirked. “Yeah… Says your mom.” Taekwoon countered. Both males are now laughing like crazy.

“Okay okay. Let’s get back on track.” Taekwoon suggested. “I think that it’s a good suggestion though. I can draw that scene for the prologue. The first few pages will be about how they met. Will start it off from kindergarten, until how they became best friends when they were kids. I think I can draw that. I can still remember clearly our childhood so that would help me out a lot. But is that okay with you? If I draw the first few pages based on our memories when we were kids? Will it be too personal?” Taekwoon asked, worried that it might offend his best friend.

“Of course it’s okay Taek. I won’t be offended. I will be honored to see our memories written in pages. It would be like a photo album filled with our memories. You’ll be Laine and I’ll be Ravi. Ah.. That sounds great. I can see it now. The most popular romance manga artist of the year—Jung Taekwoon!” Wonshik happily exclaimed, raising his arms and clapping like a proud parent. “Hahaha.. Let’s not get to that yet. This is still just a proposal. But let’s hope for the best. Fighting!” Taekwoon smiled at how supportive his best friend can be.

“Woooahhhww Wonshik! It’s already 11:30 in the evening. Sorry I did not notice the time. Is it still safe for you to go home this late? Aigoo. You have work tomorrow too. Sorry Wonshik.” Taekwoon was apologizing sincerely. “Ah. Don’t worry about it. Tomorrow is my day-off. I just finished my project. I can relax for now. I can help you out tomorrow too if you want.” Wonshik proposed.

“Ah… As expected of the great architect Kim Wonshik. Hahaha.. Then just stay here tonight. You can sleep on the guest room. Your clothes are in my closet.  It’s not safe to go home at this hour. You can stay here tomorrow as well, but you don’t have to help me out. You can spend your day off here with me since I know you don’t have any plans and you’ll get lonely like the old man you are. Hahaha.. We’ll go the new café across the street in the afternoon. Okay?”  Taekwoon suggested. Wonshik just nodded. He was really thankful at how caring Taekwoon can be.

After eating dinner and preparing for sleep, the two males said their good nights and got to their respective bedrooms. Both males can hardly sleep. Thoughts were running through their head. No matter how much they change their sleeping position the same thought always come to their mind..

“I’ll be Laine and you’ll be Ravi.”

“You’ll be Laine and I’ll be Ravi.”