May 15th, 1990

One Day

May 15th, 1990

Jieun worked in a Mexican restaurant as a waitress; she thought that this job was really suffocating and boring. There was no passion and she thought that her dream was all dead already, buried deep down inside this restaurant’s floor. She faced various customers every day; she should smile widely and explained every single thing to the clueless customers. Today was the same like usual, boring. When she was done with one customer, a deep husky voice startled her. It was the new boy’s voice, he was kinda tall or maybe too tall compare to small Jieun. He looked like a giant with those two fairy ears and wide-smile that maybe for Jieun, girl would definitely go crazy and it reminded her of Baekhyun. Uh well yes Baekhyun? He was very busy and it had been three weeks he hadn’t replied to her any single letters.

“Hello, I’m Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.”

“The new boy! Welcome to the graveyard of ambition.”

Jieun explained everything to Chanyeol about the kitchen and introduced other fellow workers to him. He obediently followed Jieun which seemed to be careless enough with him. Chanyeol was basically a comedian, he often did stand-up comedy from one café to another. He talked too much even when they just met, Chanyeol would gladly describe his comedy-life and cranky joke to Jieun yet she just carelessly nodded. Chanyeol was blabbering about his materials while Jieun busy cleaning the table. She wasn’t listening yet he kept talking.

“Toilets, over there! Sorry what are you talking about?”

“Oh no, no. I’m doing an open-mic tonight, if you were interested at the House of Laugh. It’s not a date or anything; you’ve probably got a boyfriend anyway, have you?”

“Chanyeol, I’d love to but after work, I’d like to head home, comfort-eat and weep.”

At that time, Chanyeol found that Jieun was actually a really interesting girl. She didn’t wear any make-up or everything fancy, she was just…being herself. It was Chanyeol’s first impression to her and the way she answered every questions showed that she was clever. Chanyeol liked her.

Before went to work, Jieun called Baekhyun. She told everything, how annoying Jinri with all her dirty habits were and how Seoul actually swallowed her up. Baekhyun was always being her place to run off when she needed someone to talk and vice versa. Different from Jieun, Baekhyun was now on the bed, his student’s bed with nothing but blanket. He comforted Jieun that she would actually be fine.

“How’s teaching? How’s Paris?”

“It’s good Ji, you know, truly, really fulfilling.”

“Well, don’t sleep with any of your students. It’s unethical and predictable.”

“That’s a good advance, Ji. Thanks. But I’ve got to go and have a lunch with Mum.”

“Baek…I- Baek.. Hello?” She was running out of money. She groaned loudly, Jieun still wanted to talk with her bestfriend, “I miss you.”

After the phone ended, Baekhyun just smirked, seeing interesting scenery in front of him. A student. Yes, he did sleep with his student. Typical pro player.

The next morning Baekhyun met with his Mum, the night before, his Mum called and asked him to meet her up in a fancy restaurant. Baekhyun’s mum was really beautiful and funny, she liked to son while his Dad was quite stiff. Maybe because of they rarely met each other since Baekhyun loved to travel around. Baekhyun loved his mum so much, he could be a total baby and spoiled boy in front of his mum.

“Forty-five minutes late. And where were you last night?”

“Language school disco.”

“Was it fun?”

“Nah, it was hell.”

“Tell me, who’s been writing you all those long letters? Was it that girl who came to stay?”

“Yeah. Well Jieun and I are just good friends.”

Baekhyun’s mum knew about those letters because it was quite rare seeing his son got so many letters plus so long. Baekhyun and his mum talked a lot about Jieun while walking to meet his dad. She said to take her lunch tomorrow, just him and mum. Baekhyun was quite surprised but his mum didn’t explain any further. Then it turned out to be his mum confession, she actually planned to divorce with his dad but when Baekhyun asked any futher, again his mum just didn’t want to answer. He smelled something fishy because he thought that his parents’ relationship was all fine.