May 15th, 2001

One Day

 

Baekhyun stood before his house’s window, he was carrying Herin in order to make his daughter fell asleep. Yeah, Byun Baekhyun was a married man after all, his life changed completely. He worked as an employee at Joonmyun business while Jieun remained the same but not the same. Jieun had braced herself to start writing novel, she had that gift yet she was quite afraid and her self-esteem was too low. Baekhyun worn out, he looked tired and he had lost his weight these days. He worked his off, started quite early and went home late then he should take care of Herin after that. Taeyeon was still as busy as always, she kept going there and there for her business. Their relationship was getting a bit awkward because they had least time together. Baekhyun needed to take care of Herin tonight because Taeyeon should attend her friend’s birthday party and came back the day after.

“There’s plenty formula left. I’ve pureed the veggies, or you could mash a banana.”

“And what about Indian food? I can give her a curry, can’t I?”

“No, no, no, Baekhyun. No.”

“Taeyeon, I’m joking.”

“Oh I see. I keep missing those, don’t I? I’m sorry, it’s just that I’m late. I don’t even know why I’m going anyway.”

“No, that’s your right.”

“Oh that’s my cab. I’ll be back tomorrow morning okay? Be good. Try to not burn the house down.”

“I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine. Goodbye sweetheart, say goodbye to Mummy. Have a good time.”

By then she left, Herin cried loudly. Baekhyun was quite confused how to handle his little girl, he played some random song to lift up the mood and swung Herin around with him but she kept crying. He tried to make some small play with dolls as if it’s just like a puppet show. Herin smiled, she stopped crying and watching her dad quietly. A moment later, they both watching TV, there was Eunji popped out on some random TV show. Baekhyun chuckled as he remembered his ex.

“Look, Herin. Look, that’s daddy’s ex. Isn’t she loud? Isn’t she a loud, loud girl?”

Herin seemed didn’t really like Eunji because she cried loudly once that girl popped out on their screen. Baekhyun really had no idea what to do but then he decided to read book for her even though his daughter still one year old. It was like Herin understood; she remained calm and somehow tapped the book as if it’s her favorite one. That was Jieun first book, she wrote a novel for kids.

“Is that Jieun? Yeah, that’s Jieun. She wrote the book.”

Baekhyun missed Jieun, he wanted to call her and used Herin as an excuse to talk to her but it was getting late and she might be asleep since Jieun quite busy lately. Herin fell asleep and Baekhyun could at least enjoy his wine. He kept thinking about Jieun before suddenly the phone rang, he rushed with a glass of wine on his hand.

“Jieun?”

“It’s me.”

“I’m so sorry, darling.”

“Look, how’s the party going? How’s it all going?”

“Um…We’re all going on to some clubs. How’s she doing?”

“Asleep. You know, finally.”

“She’s been awake all this time?”

“Yeah, my fault. I should have given her the decaf.”

“See? There you go. I made you laugh.”

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah. No, no, I’m good. I’m good.”

“Why? Were you worried?”

“No, um.. No reason. I was just checking up on you and well, everything’s fine.”

“Alright. Look, Taeyeon, I know I’m not good at all this, you know, dad or husband thing.”

“No, you’re doing good Baekhyun.”

“No, and I know if you had a receipt, you would have taken me back a long time ago. But, you know, I’m working on it, alright? So, bear with me. That’s all.”

“I’ve got to go. I’ll see you tomorrow, alright.”

Taeyeon wasn’t alone at that room, there was a man came out from bathroom. It was Joonmyun, he only wearing towel wrapped on his waist while Taeyeon only on her bathrobe. This woman cheated on her husband who knew nothing at home. Guilt crept inside her chest when she heard Baekhyun’s sudden confession for being not good husband and dad yet he wanted to work hard. She just shrugged it off and ended their conversation when Joonmyun sat next to her, he started to kiss her shoulder and her forehead. She was afraid that she couldn’t be happy because Baekhyun was a mere employee and she thought that he couldn’t make her happy. That night was different for both them, Baekhyun was happy enough to have her and Herin as his new happiness while the other one had betrayed her husband’s trust.