May 15, 2006

One Day

They were on the bathroom, brushing their teeth side by side but the mood was rather awkward and kinda pushy. Jieun was in really bad mood, something bothered her and Baekhyun didn’t seem to notice.

“I look so tired.”

“So take some exercise. Come swimming with me later.”

“No, no, I can’t. I’ve got to do too much at the café.”

“Fine. Don’t.”

Jieun spat her emotion as she heard Baekhyun’s rejection. He had been really busy at the café lately and she was quiet upset about that.

“By the way, in case you’re interested, I’m not pregnant.”

She walked out. Yes, Jieun was upset because after several attempts to have a baby, they still failed and Jieun had not pregnant yet.

“Ji, how do you know?”

“How do you think?”

“We could try again, though.”

“Come on. Look…No, no, no, no. Come on."

Baekhyun reached for Jieun and embraced her tiny figure from the back, chin rested on her shoulder and gave her a light kiss on her neck. Baekhyun reassured Jieun that it was fine, they didn’t need to rush and could try again.

“Look, I’m sorry. Alright?”

“No, I am…for taking it out on you. We’re not at our best today, are we?”

He kept hugging her as chuckled, “Look, why don’t we meet each other after work? We’ll go to the movies, your choice. Something with subtitles.”

“Ooh.” She chuckled softly.

“And we can go and have some dinner. Just you and me, and we can work this out. Alright? I promise.”

“Mhmm…yeah. Yeah”

He planted a kiss on her cheek, Baekhyun’s heart ached when he saw his wife at this state. On the other side, Jieun was quite self-blamed. At work, she didn’t even get any inspiration. She kept staring blankly at the plain wall before decided to go swimming. Yes, her healing. After an hour, she got back but before that she sent voice mail to Baekhyun.

“Hey, there! Just to say I’m running late, but I’m on my way. I’m sorry for being so snappy this morning.”

Jieun was in a bit rush because she was late to meet Baekhyun. She rode her bike rather fast yet careful because it was raining and slippery; the motorcycle rider behind her was impatient. She then took turn left and chose the shortcut. Lee Jieun hit the ground; her milky cheek touched the cold pavement. Her vision was all blurry, tears were on her eyes, the memories of her childhood and some random things had suddenly flashed. People were looking at her, some even crying and kept asking whether she was alright or no. Jieun felt nothing, she then remembered Baekhyun. Her husband must be waiting for her and wondering where was she, then he would playfully said “You’re so late, Mam.” Jieun smiled, she could hear some annoying sirens and random questions from medical team. Who was sick? Was it me? She closed her eyes, her head hurt. Then Byun Jieun died, and everything that she thought or felt vanished and gone forever. Their date was never happened.

Baekhyun was shocked, Jieun had gone too fast. He didn’t even believe it, his life was a mess. That night, he held Jieun’s night gown, tears fell from his eyes. Baekhyun painfully sobbed, Jieun was all he had, and she was his tree and now she gone. He didn’t have any reason to hold on, it hurt so much, his chest was burning in pain. Baekhyun crushed.