May 15th, 2000

One Day

 

Jieun seemed quite touched with the scene in front of her. Sulli finally got married with her boyfriend, Sehun. They had been dating for quite long time until Sehun asked Sulli to marry him. Jieun still couldn’t believe that her friend finally got married. She tried to control her tears because of this overwhelming scene before her; the wedding ceremonial was exactly the one that she dreamed the most. Classic cathedral only with close acquaintances and simple yet intimate atmosphere completed that wedding ceremony. Baekhyun was also there too, he came with Taeyeon. He stole glance on Jieun several times, it’s been a while since the last time they met. Baekhyun suddenly told about Jieun to Taeyeon, she seemed quite annoyed and jealous of course.

“So, that’s Lee Jieun. We went to university together.”

“Did you sleep with her as well?”

“No.”

“What about the bride?”

“No. God what is this?”

“It’s just that every weekend we go to a wedding with a coachload of people that you’ve slept with. It’s like a conference.”

“Okay, come on. You know, you’re the only one for me.”

Baekhyun playfully leant closer to Taeyeon and kissed her in the middle of the crowd, fortunately Jieun saw that. She was taken aback and her heart shrunk a bit, she still in love with him after all. Jieun just shrugged it away, on the other hand, Joonmyun was there too. Joonmyun kept talking about his crayfish business to Baekhyun, he ensured Baekhyun to join him but Baekhyun seemed not interested yet.

“Crayfish. Baek, people go crazy for the little buggers. I’ve got 12 branches already, twelve more by the end of the year.”

“Well, you know, there’s a rumor going around that you’re actually a multi-millionaire.”

“Come on, define multi. You should come and have a lunch. We should talk.”

“What, are you offering me a job?”

“No, I’m just…”

“You are, aren’t you? You’re offering me a job.”

Baekhyun’s career was crumbling and unstable at that time and Joonmyun wanted to help yet his attitude made Baekhyun sick of it plus Baekhyun’s high ego. He kept looking at the corner of the room, there was Jieun, cheerfully talking with his guy friends. She seemed happy but not that happy either, it was just her mere attitude. Baekhyun could see that before Joonmyun suddenly burst out of the blue, he took a glance too at Jieun.

“Have you seen Lee Jieun? Right under our noses all the time, eh? Who knew?”

Sulli sang in front of the guests, it sounded rather funny because she was quite overwhelmed with her wedding party and of course the fact that she now Sehun’s wife. On the other hand, Joonmyeon kept following Baekhyun and now they sat on the same table with Taeyeon. Joonmyeon was blabbering about his crayfish business; Baekhyun only rolled his eyes because he got sick of that already. Baekhyun excused himself to meet Jieun, her back figure looked so beautiful by the glimmering lamps. He stood beside her, flashed his cheeky smile and so did Jieun.

“Do you want to get out of here?”

“Yes, please.”

They sat on the corner of the ballroom with less-crowd; he poured wine on Jieun’s glass. It felt like the old days of them.

“Today must be quite tough for you, having slept with the bride.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. What? How do you know about all these things?”

“Sulli told me everything about it.”

“Oh, did she?”

 “The food massage spun out of control. I think you even used my olive oil, footprints halfway up to the kitchen wall.”

“Well, that stuff’s behind me now, so…”

“Really? What happened? in toilet cubicles loses its bittersweet charm?”

“Well, an won’t keep you warm at night, Jieun.”

“An won’t look after you when you’re old.”

“Well said. Anyway, I screwed up my career and screwed things with Mum.”

“That’s not true.”

“And I screwed up my friendship and then Taeyeon just came along, and she sort of, well saved me, really.

“She’s very beautiful.”

“Of course, she has absolutely no sense of humor.”

“Just as well, a sense of humor’s overrated. Goofing around all the time, the only time Chanyeol ever really made me laugh was when he fell down the stairs.”

“Well, you know, Taeyeon says she doesn’t like to laugh. Doesn’t really like what it does to her face.”

Baekhyun kept telling about Taeyeon to Jieun, she was happy because Baekhyun wasn’t that ruined like he used to before. But she also couldn’t lie to herself that she actually hurt, Jieun pretend to be fine like she always did, joking around to keep their happy mood when she suddenly blurted out.

“But you love her, right?”

“Yeah, I worship her.

By that answer, Sulli ended her song. Sehun just came on stage and kissed his wife in front of the guests. Jieun seemed hurt but she shrugged it anyway, she stood up and about to walk toward the crowd before Baekhyun demanded her to come along with him. There was a small labyrinth outside the building, she was unsure but he asked her to join him. After contemplating with herself, just like when they skinny-dipping back then, Jieun agreed and followed Baekhyun to the labyrinth. They walked side by side, no one spoke a word when suddenly Jieun exclaimed.

“I doubt that we can out of here easily, Baek.”

“It’s alright, we can find the exit together.”

They laughed.

“So, any romance?”

“Oh come on, Baek.”

“What? I’m just asking.”

“Your sympathy. I’m not lonely, I’m alone. There, how’d that sound?”

“Yeah, yeah I bought that.”

“It’s true. I’ve got a tiny advance to write this book.”

“Ji.”

“Mmm.”

“Well, you know, I have something to tell you too.”

Baekhyun gave her a wedding invitation. Jieun looked a bit surprised and blue, she forced a smile and exclaimed happily.

“You’re getting married.”

“Yeah.”

She then hugged him, gave a light pat on his back. She held her tears, hoping that it wouldn’t fall now. Jieun took a deep breath before let go of her hug.

“So, you’re pleased?”

“Of course, I’m very pleased, Baek! Fantastic news, really. Scented? Your invitation wedding are scented?”

“Yeah, lavender.”

“No. Baek, it’s money. They smell of money.”

“August 14th?”

“Yeah, I think that’s what they call a shotgun wedding, for 350 with buffet.”

He poured wine again to her glass, she took another deep breath rather jokingly to cover up her mixed feeling.

“Do you know who the father is?”

“Stop it.”

“I’m kidding. Congratulations.”

“Thank you.”

“A dad.”

“I know.”

“Is that allowed? Will they let you?”

“it’s incredible, isn’t it?”

“You’re going to be a wonderful father.”

“Do you really think so?”

“I don’t doubt it for a minute.”

Silence. They only exchanged smiles to each other, Baekhyun with pleasant smile and Jieun with vague one.

“I missed you, Baek.”

“Well, I missed you too.”

By that, Jieun tears suddenly rolled down. Baekhyun was always been this sensible and Jieun was always been this smart to cover up her true feeling. He thought that it was joyful tears yet the fact that it was a wounding one. The atmosphere was rather calm and Baekhyun’s arm suddenly reached for Jieun’s nape, he kissed her forehead.

“No more disappearing.”

“No. Well, if you won’t. Mm-hm?”

“Mm-hm.”

Baekhyun stared into Jieun’s gentle orbs, they were so closed and he finally leant closer to her. His lips were on hers, Jieun’s lips were really soft and addictive, Baekhyun started to claim her lips even more. Their glassed of wine fell as he cupped her cheek, she placed her tiny hands on his waist. The kiss was indescribable, it was a kiss between two old good friends who longed for each other’s presence and both of them haven’t figured their real feelings to each other. It felt like eternity, time seemed stopped and watching them until Jieun pulled back to catch a breath, her heart mixed between surprised and guilt. They shouldn’t be doing this, but on the other hand her selfishness pushed her to enjoy this moment, it was their last kiss, after all.

“Baek?”

“We should go.”

“Absolutely, let’s go.”