May 15th, 2009

One Day

It took almost 2 years to make up his life, Baekhyun finally back to the old him even though not in a complete form because he only complete with Jieun. He managed his café well, busy with his stuff in café made him forgot about the pain bit by bit, distracting himself with the various customers and something new.  Chanyeol visited him, May 15th was the date when Jieun left them.

“Chanyeol. God!”

“Baekhyun.”

“Hi.”

“Hello, mate.”

“Are you well?”

“Yeah, look at this.”

“So, how are you? How’s the stand-up comedy?”

“Oh, well, I gave up that, actually.”

“That’s shame.”

“No, not really, because I was never any good. The only time I ever made Jieun laugh was when I fell down the stairs. Really.”

They burst in an awkward chuckle before Chanyeol continued to blabber around.

“No, I’m in insurance now.”

“Great. Great.”

They lost the topic, the atmosphere started to feel heavy.

“I hate today, fifteenth of May.”

“It’s a tough one.”

“I never notice it before but it was always there just waiting, lurking. I used to hate you, too. Quite violently, actually, Baekhyun. No, I’m sorry, but…” They laughed, “Because, she lit up with you. Just in a way that she never would with me, and it used make me so angry because… I didn’t think that you deserved her. Can I say this?”

“Yeah, go on.”

“She made you decent. And then in return, you made her so happy. So happy. And I always be grateful to you for that…And on that bombshell, back to the sticks.”

 Baekhyun overwhelmed by Chanyeol’s words, Jieun was literally made him decent and she did a lot. She was always there at his ups and downs, Jieun remained the same. Baekhyun and Chanyeol chuckled rather assertively because Jieun meant a lot to them.

“There’s my lot over there. Oh! Look at them.”

“Yeah, I know. So, listen, we’ll stay in touch. I’ll give you a call.”

“No, I don’t think that’s necessary. I think we’re done here. Come here,” Chanyeol hugged him and gave him a light comfort. “Good luck, mate. Alright?”

“You too. Thank you.”

Chanyeol had still have a little space for Jieun in his heart as his bestfriend. They bid goodbye, Chanyeol married with Seulgi and they have two children, a boy and a girl. Baekhyun fixed his eyes on them, they seemed very cheerful. He wondered if Jieun was still here maybe they could be as cheerful as them, he only sighed before smiling just by looking at Chanyeol’s little family. A vivid flashback slowly hit him, the first night they spent together at Jieun’s small flat. He could hear Jieun’s voice.

“Wake up. Wake up,” She was kicking her bed playfully as Baekhyun jolted and still half sleepy. “It’s alright. Don’t panic, it’s only me. Jieun. Lee Jieun.”

“Yes, Hello.”

Silly introduction just in case Baekhyun forgot what happened last night.”

“So, what do you suggest we do?”

“We could stay in touch.”

“Today. We’re meant to be doing something today.”

“Right, right, right. Look, today is a bit tricky for me, really. No, no it’s just not that. It’s just…well, I’m meeting my parents, and then I’ve get to get back…”

“Oh, yeah, yeah, you should probably go then. It was lovely to meet you. Bye, now.”

Jieun was a bit disappointed, she quite expected too much. On the other hand, Baekhyun felt guilty because he thought that Jieun was different.

“Look, that’s not until later, so if you wanted to, we could go walk or something.”

“Okay.”

They went for a walk, Jieun took him to her favorite place, a hill where they could see everything there.

“Come on, keep up.”

“It’s these shoes. I can’t mountain climb in brogues.”

“It’s not K2, it’s only a big hill, alright? A child could do it.” She laughed.

“I don’t want you thinking I’m bothered or anything about last night. I don’t want your phone number, or letters, or postcards. I don’t want to get married to you. Definitely don’t want to have your babies. Whatever happens tomorrow, we’ve had today. And if we should bump into each other sometime in the future, well, that’s fine too. We’ll be friends.”

“Yeah, right,” Baekhyun hand then reached for Jieun’s neck, rubbed it softly as he continued. “Or, you know, on the other hand..”

“Go, on.”

“Well, my parents don’t arrive until later.”

“So?”

“So, well, the flat is empty. You know, if you wanted to finish what we started.”

“What? Sober?”

“Mmm-mm, and in a daylight.”

“Race you!”

Jieun couldn’t help but smiling as she ran, Baekhyun laughed as chasing her.