VII.

Windy Hall (Hiatus)

Myungsoo woke up to Sungjong tugging his sleeve. Sungjong wore a panicked expression as he called out to the older, “She’s gone!” With only one look he knew something was wrong. He has never witnessed the blond so conflicted.

“Who’s gone?” he asked trying to stay awake. His eyelids felt heavy as he only got three hours of sleep. While the blonde explained to the wizard that when he went out to get breakfast the bartender told him about seeing the girl, Jisoo, leave the premises, Myungsoo’s attention was elsewhere. Last night, or earlier, when Sungjong had gone to bed without looking after his wound, Myungsoo had to make sure it wasn’t infected and to carefully wrapped it with bandages. But now that Sungjong’s hand was hanging right in front of Myungsoo, wrapped in a different color, the older wasn’t sure how to feel.

Was this just another rebellious act on the dark magic user’s part?

“So?” Sungjong’s demanding question gained a hold of Myungsoo’s gaze.

“Huh?”

The light haired scoffed, “Are you going to locate her or not?”

Myungsoo’s brows became uneven, “What do you mean? Last night I’ve secured her room with a protection spell. So if she leaves or someone else enters, I would have been warned,”

“Maybe your magic is rusty because I’ve personally checked her room. I even went in and out of it a couple of times to double, triple check. I don’t think you sensed any of it cause she’s gone,”

The older was forced to stand up to face the younger before he frowned, “You sure you checked the right room?” Though Sungjong has never lied to him before, Myungsoo couldn’t believe what he was hearing. For all of the years he’ve practiced magic, not once has it failed him.

Sungjong didn’t care to entertain the one in disbelief so he immediately stated, “The longer you prolonged on finding her, the farther she may be getting away. And if something happens to her I’ll—” Sungjong stopped himself. Wondering if he believed the words coming out of his mouth. Since when did he care for the seeker? He just tagged along because his savior, Myungsoo, claimed he needed a partner on his long journey to save the world.

There was a moment of silence before Myungsoo took over, “Let’s look around again. Maybe the people here have done something to her because of your action last night,”

The sun kissed hair lad frowned, it was unfair to say he was the reason behind Jisoo’s sudden disappearance, “Oh? So it’s my fault now?” He questioned when Myungsoo was about to leave the room. His tone brought Myungsoo to a halt before the latter turned back around to face him.

“You broke their glass last night after getting drunk. I knew it was odd when they didn’t charge me for the damages,” Myungsoo’s words made Sungjong speechless. The lad knew it was no use arguing with a great mage and especially one like Myungsoo. “Now search the outdoors. If anything seems suspicious then holler, I’ll be right there,”

When Sungjong didn’t budge, Myungsoo decided to be the first one to exit the stuffy room. He can stand a mad Sungjong but not when the lad is irrational. Myungsoo was faintly annoyed that Sungjong was being irresponsible. 

As Myungsoo entered the room he was positive he had tucked Jisoo in, he was left alone to face a housekeeper. The young lady was tidying up the room as she looked at him with surprised. “May I help you?”

After confirming that Jisoo was nowhere to be found, he cursed himself for speaking the way he did toward Sungjong. But he quickly shook off any guilt and stared down the lass before him, after all it’s still hard to believe that his powers have let him down, “Have you seen a young woman in this room?”

“I haven’t. What does she look like?”

Rather than wasting both of their time, Myungsoo moved on quickly, “Nevermind. Carry on,” he voiced as if he owned the tavern. As he strode through the empty pub searching for a good spot to cast a locator spell, Myungsoo noticed Sungjong at the bar again. The younger was speaking to the bartender about who knows what but from Myungsoo’s perspective, it seemed serious.

However, Myungsoo had far more important things to worry about. To locate Jisoo, Myungsoo had to find something that she had come into contact with. Outside where he found the horses tied up to a tree, he also found the bag she had pack. Digging inside he fished out a solid, hard rock. He scoffed a slight chuckle as he played with the pebble in hand, “This should do,”



Except for a whistling kettle screaming for attention the King’s massive kitchen was as still and cautious as an ambush predator. With sunlight bouncing into the room through the designed glass windows, the lit chandeliers made the place even brighter. After some time a maid responded to the kettle’s noise. She pinched her red dress and carried it between her fingers as she ran through the unoccupied halls.

Her panting ring trouble as she hurried to the kitchen. As she approached the two large mahogany doors, she noticed one of the twin doors was slightly cracked open and big enough for her to slip through. So with hasty steps, she dashed in and headed for the stove immediately.

A soft scream escaped her cracked lips as she turned off the fuel and removed the kettle with a mitten. “Joseph!” She cried, “Good heavens where did that child go?” she questioned no one in particular. As the woman whose gray hair was in a bun, she simultaneously keeps a look out for the one she called Joseph while preparing tea for three.

“Headmistress!” a man’s voice echoed through the room surprising the lady. As they locked eyes, the lady instantly snapped at him.

“Joseph, there you are! His Majesty has guests, he wants lunch this afternoon!”

The man, Joseph, pulled his head back in shock, “What’s the occasion all of a sudden?”

Once tea and the boiling water was served into three different cups, the elder set the kettle on top of a rag sitting on the counter. Then the woman eyed the younger brunette man, “You ask too many questions, Joseph. His majesty is in a good mood this morning and wants lunch. Just make it without asking will you?” as the woman placed the cups in a triangle shape on a gold platter, she took a firm hold of the handles before carrying it out.

On her way past him, he quickly inserted, “Did his majesty wanted anything specifically?”

“A chicken salad with ginseng!” Once the woman vanished behind the door, Joseph was left all alone to do his part. But the man folded his arms across his chest and furrowed his brows.

“Is today punishment day?” he whispered to himself. After some more pondering, he got right to work, as he knows how cruel the old lady can be when he doesn’t fulfill his responsibilities.

In the royalty meeting room, three fluffy couches occupied most of the floor beside the colorful carpets and rugs. Completing the rectangular shape set by the couches was the King’s chair. Made of the world’s best wood and carved by the most respected artist of all time. A fireplace sat behind the chair and though it wasn’t in use, it was still the room’s eye candy. Candles and statues of fairytales beings sat neatly on the plywood shelf, hanging just over the crown was a white curtain that brightens up the room, and the hearth was fully covered by a bear’s fur coat.

A large, clean, happy man sat in the King’s chair, he chortled as his two companies tell him jokes. Their offbeat laughter died off when a guard entered the room with his head down and hands clasped beside him. “Your majesty,” he began, earning all eyes and ears, “The people have all gathered before the front gates. Preparations are done. The criminals are waiting for their punishment,”

His message put smiles and wide grins on the three males’ faces.

“Then brother in law, shall we head out?” one of the men asked.

The big man hummed, “Wake The Punisher,”



Myungsoo and Sungjong were back on the road traveling on horseback at maximum speed. Minutes prior the great wizard had successfully located Jisoo and rushed his partner and horses out and away from the tavern. Sungjong tried to keep up though he couldn’t help but wonder where Jisoo has gone off to. The last thing Myungsoo shouted at him was that he’d found her. But where?

Once they entered a much more forested landscape, Sungjong felt like he was going down memory lane. The area looked familiar though he wasn’t sure where they were exactly. After some time the blonde caught a glimpse of Myungsoo coming to a stop as the man hopped his horse effortlessly. It was then that the younger recognized the boulder.

Myungsoo had brought him there just a couple of days ago. It was the same large rock that needed magic in order to be moved, but why were they there and where is Jisoo?

“Why are we here? What about the Keeper?” he asked.

Myungsoo who have carried on to examined the rock did not speak, until a second later, “She’s behind this rock,”

His blunt statement caused the light haired to tilt his head in confusion, “But how? If anything she isn’t capable of magic yet, is she?”

“There’s only one way to find out,” Myungsoo’s tone was low and somewhat dangerous. Even during heated and heavy situations, Myungsoo tends to be kind and expressive. However, the look in his eyes tells Sungjong he shouldn’t ask too many questions. Myungsoo chanted a spell under his breath as a staff showed itself in the mage’s hand. Then out of habit, he brought the wand close to the rock until it swallowed the staff whole. This time the older turned to Sungjong, “It’s your turn. Remember, magic is prohibited inside the Halls. No matter what happens don’t try to cast any magic. You’ll end up getting hurt in return,”

The other heard him loud and clear but chose not to respond. Until he knows the reasons why, he’ll never fully obey, understand, and respect Myungsoo.

“Let’s go meet him then,” Myungsoo whispered but loud enough for the two of them to hear.