XIV.

Windy Hall (Hiatus)


Jaejoong shot up from his spot when the fire was put out with a whoosh. He assumed it was the Gloomers up to no good again, thus out-of-habit he snarled at the space around him to show them who’s boss. His brows slightly met in the center, his teeth bared behind his mask, and his shoulder blades morphed into wings that expanded out from behind his back. Once the ragged, feathered wings torn through his skin, the open wound instantly healed itself and an extra layer of skin wrapped around his coracoids.

Then all of a sudden the atmosphere around him began to change. The wind started to pick up, lifting up leaves, twigs, and pebbles. Even the branches of the trees around him began waving violently.

Meanwhile, Jisoo who wasn’t prepared for what was happening let out a mellow peeped when the frill of her dress starting floating. Quickly she held it down with her hands as she tried to read the situation.

“Shackles Vortex!” Jaejoong called.

Instantly a dark figure was thrown and pinned against a tree with a large X over presumably its chest. Jisoo was bewildered. What on earth was going on? Then more and more dark matter appeared before and around Jisoo, squirming as they were trapped against the tree's bodies. Specifically, all twelve of them couldn’t escape.

And slowly, one by one, Jisoo began to understand what Jaejoong was doing to them.

“Stop it!” She screamed with all of her might, hoping he could hear her through all of the rustling and hissing of the wind. “You’re hurting them!” She tried again when her first attempt proved to be non-affective. “Why are you lashing out at them? Stop it!”

Despite not knowing his exact location, Jisoo took a wild guess and charged forward. “Blood on thy chains stain thy hands!”

Before Jisoo could physically stop Jaejoong, her foot got caught by the roots of a tree and it knocked her off balance. As Jisoo hit the ground, the X, or silver shackles in the shape of an X began pressing against the figures. And as if the howling wind wasn’t loud enough, the shrieks of pain from the black figures made Jisoo’s ears bleed. Soon the cries died and the sound of crushing bones and wood filled the air.

Then everything came to a standstill and it was dead silent. The only noise Jisoo could hear was the beating of her heart and heavy breathing. Moments later footsteps approached and stood over her, then she heard him speak, his voice carried a hint of carelessness, “I tried to be nice, but sometimes they just want to die.”

Without fully thinking, Jisoo stretched out her arm and was able to snatch a hold around Jaejoong’s foot, and when she did so it set off a strange sound. But Jisoo was too disturbed to notice it, “You can’t say that since you can’t see them. I saw them! Confused and helpless!”

Jaejoong kicked the woman’s hand off him then folded his arms across his chest, “Confused and helpless? Let me tell you this. I am their master. Without me, they would cease to exist,”

There was a long absence of sound until Jisoo spoke, “Then without me, would you cease to exist?”

Jaejoong turned his head to the side, this time completely serious and not amused. “What do you intend to do?”

“I don’t think you’ve noticed, but I’ve figured it out.”

A frown was drawn onto the immortal’s face as he looked long and hard at her, “And what is it that the likes of you have figured out, that I don’t already know the answer.”

“If Myungsoo doesn’t know then I doubt you do too.”

The lad scoffed a little. Not because he was getting impatient but due to the simple fact that Jisoo reminded him of Xia. They tend to mention Myungsoo when making their point. “Well then, out with it,”

The lass gulped, feeling ache from its dryness. She has forgotten the last time she had a drop of water. Then slowly Jisoo got up and onto her feet, thinking it would be best to confront Jaejoong face to face. “The Keepers first time seeing them…” Jisoo whispered, then her voice began to rise as she continued, “I think I’ve figured it out. When we first see them and the similar places we see them in.”

Honestly, Jaejoong never bothered to wonder when his masters see Gloomers. Nor did he care about their first time. Because according to him, they just did and do. “Well?” He asked just to ask. And as if Jisoo could sense the carelessness in his tone, she hesitated upon answering it instantly.

Does Jaejoong want an answer? Does he care about the possible reasons?

Before Jaejoong could get an explanation out of Jisoo, their undivided attention was captured by a stranger’s cry. “They’re over here!”

Behind the immortal were countless men—the King’s men from what Jaejoong had noticed—with ignited torches running toward them. Discretely one man stood out from the large bunch. His massive body bolted out any men carrying fire after him. And as the group drew closer, Jaejoong recognized the biggest man from Skyfall.

Daesung’s extra powerful thighs plowed through the woods restlessly, and in his path, he shoved stickly trees aside and break branches with a wave of his hands. Directly in front of him, Jaejoong prepared himself for battle. Once he started to spread out his wings, the knives like claws at the end of his wings resonated that of metal clanging against metal. “I will handle them, you should hide—”

Jisoo grabbed onto Jaejoong’s bare arm tugged it toward her a little, “I hear people. Are you going to hurt them?”

Her question brought a disbelief grin onto his face. Just who did she think he was? A saint? “If the only way I can stop them is by hurting them then yes, I’m going to hurt them.”

The tugging got harder and Jisoo shook her head, “No, don’t. If you did what you just did then there’s no way they’re going to live.” She was desperate to change his mind, and Jaejoong could see it.

“They came here knowing death awaits them. You don’t have to defend people like them—”

“I don’t. You’re right. But I want to,” Jisoo released his arms, took a few steps past him, and slowly made her way toward the noisy crowd. Carefully she held her arms out and to her side as if inviting them in.

Daesung, who had left a gap between him and the humans, began slowing down as he approached Jisoo. Taken aback by her gesture, he wasn’t sure if it was a trap on a stupid move on her part. Finally, he stopped a few feet away from her, emotionless, “Jiyong wants you, Keeper.”

“And I will come with if you promise you will only take me,” Jisoo said. Her voice was stern, it was the same tone she used with her father when he refused to eat just so she could have a little extra. Daesung eyed Jaejoong at this, thinking it was cowardly of Jaejoong to stand and hide behind a blind gal. Meanwhile, Jaejoong can’t believe that Jisoo would make a deal with the enemy on his behalf.

The superhuman snorted, “Fine with me. My objective was primary you anyhow. But I cannot promise you what the humans will do after we’re gone,”

Jaejoong knew the man was referring to him, hence quickly stood up for himself, “It will only take a second to wipe them out. What your objective should have been was me. Did you really think I’ll just hand the Keeper over because you got a few mortals on your tail?”

Daesung flattened his eyes. If anything he wasn’t even acquainted to the humans. They’ve just met earlier as they shared the same task given by Jiyong. But before Jaejoong could anger him, Jisoo interrupted.

“I’m going with him,” she declared, “and while I’m gone you should reflect on how you’re treating Bloomers,”

A scoff casually escaped Jaejoong’s mouth as he was speechless. For a moment he blamed her blindness for her stupidity. Then without a word Daesung dived over and swooped Jisoo with one arm. As they disappeared into the night sky, Jaejoong was left with a mob surrounding him.

The men had their shields and spears up, ready to strike whenever they’re told to.

Jaejoong was amazed, though he has been deprived of human contact for twenty long years, the new keeper managed to make him regret the time he could have enjoyed at Windy Hall. Jisoo was not the first justice-warrior-Keeper he has come across, but her quick-sense-of-sacrifice bothered him.

“Get him!” the one in command shouted.



As Daesung carried Jisoo through the pre-morning sky, the lass could feel her breezy tears drying on her cheeks. Her sniffling started to pick up due to her quiet sobs and her just being cold in general. Briefly, Daesung thought about comforting her. Because if she is Jiae, who is supposedly Jiyong’s wife, then it makes her his comrade as well. But without Jiyong’s approval and verification, Daesung decided to avoid further conversations.

When they arrived, the Sun was sitting slightly above the horizon. Just outside of the main entrance Daesung lowered Jisoo onto her feet. When she was standing on her own, he thought about leaving her until she spoke. “Sorry, I’m not yet familiar with this place. So could you show me the way to Deathless Light? I mean, is he fine meeting with me right now?”

Daesung wasn’t sure. He has never seen Jiyong rest, sleep or eat before so he wouldn’t know whether present time would be convenient for the latter or not. “I will check in with him. Wait here for now,” The young woman didn’t argue and nodded. Then without second-guessing her, Daesung left quickly. While he headed directly for the highest room in the highest tower, Jisoo waited patiently with her hands clapped together in front of her.

Moments later, Jiyong made an uncalled for appearance down the hall from Jisoo. Though her senses are heightened due to her poor vision, it wasn’t enough to beat Jiyong, who’s like a snake; sneaky and agile. From afar he studied her, from head to toe. Was she really a reincarnation of Jiae? Has Jiae succeeded in making a return again but with a different face? He couldn’t tell, though he admits the color of their vibes are relatively close. The only difference was Jiae was fiercer; meanwhile, Jisoo appeared more serene. Otherwise, they were both of good-nature with compelling vibes.

Once Jiyong blinked, he realized Jisoo had been watching him as well. Thus to reboot his slyness, the male simply grinned as he walked toward her. Shortly after he stopped just before her and popped the question, “Ey, you came alone? Why didn’t he come with you?”

Jisoo stood her ground and tried not let fear control her, but in the end, she couldn’t prevent her emotions from taking over, “Where is Lord Xia?”

Jiyong cocked his head to the side as he pocketed his hands into his black pants, “Why look for him?”

“Because,” Jisoo’s voice began to shake a little, “Jaejoong told me, he’s someone who will be on my side….” Her heart began pounding rapidly. For the short time she got to meet and talk to Xia, the man slightly resembled her father. And right now, Jisoo just missed home and her father a lot. Hence, she thought if she could meet Xia again, she will feel more at home. “So I want to see him again,”

“You’re quite silly Keeper. What makes you think I will fulfill your wants? Huh?”

The lass found some confidence to answer him, “When muggers robbed from me and my father, they could have easily killed us and take our belongings. Instead, they would only scare us, take our belongings, then wait for us to earn and find more so they can repeat the attacks. My father said as long as we continued to be useful, they will let us live because it will let them lead easier lives. My point is, if you’ve got no use for me then I would be dead. But I’m alive and if you refuse to help me then it won’t help you.”

Jiyong cracked an evil smirk, “Suppose you’re right. I do need you. But, have you figured out why I needed you alive?” Jisoo froze upon his question. Never once had she considered her worth, but to hear Jiyong questioned her so scared her a little. Because now she must discover why he’s keeping her alive, especially when she’s responsible for freeing Jaejoong, who is Jiyong’s enemy. His smirk deepened when she kept quiet, “Ah, so you don’t know. Should I give you a hint then?”

“No,” Jisoo mumbled which caught Jiyong off guard.

“No?”

“I don’t want to know. I just want to see Lord Xia,”

Jiyong grinned, “What if I told you that he’s dead?”

The human’s jaw dropped a little. She couldn't believe an immortal would die just like that. “W-what? N-no, t-that’s impossible.”

This time a third voice joined them, it belonged to someone Jisoo never thought she’d hear from again, “She’s right. Under us, Kim Myungsoo is using magic to keep Xia alive. Your silver magic is slowly wearing off.” It was Sungjong, his arms were crossed over his chest and he was leaning against one of the marble pillars, “Let the girl meet him one last time, he’s dying anyway.”