XVII.

Windy Hall (Hiatus)


Jaejoong swooped by the river until he noticed an open space up ahead. Then without slowing down, he released Myungsoo by his collar and let the wizard fall onto the grassy area. Then with a kick and backflip in the air, he brought himself back to the back of a rising Myungsoo. Soundless, Myungsoo stood up and found himself facing an easily paced river. He couldn’t be bothered to pat himself down even with a speck of dirt on his face.

From behind, Jaejoong’s wings were folded as he approached Myungsoo with an unimpressed expression, “What was that back there?”

Without sparing Jaejoong a glance, Myungsoo understood immediately what the older was referring to, “It’s none of your business,”

A scoffed came naturally to the other as he placed both hands on his hip, “It is too when my comrade just planned to elope with a traitor in front of me,”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes internally, “I said it in the spur of the moment, alright? I didn’t want to leave Sungjong behind. Not after what you’ve said about him being one of Jiyong’s creation,”

“It doesn’t matter if it was in the spur of the moment, you still said what you said to an enemy,”

The wizard disagrees but did not attempt to argue with Jaejoong. Instead, his eyes focused on the water surface that passed by peacefully. Finally, after a moment of silence, Jaejoong stepped forward and into Myungsoo’s line of vision. “Is Xia really dead?”

The question brought Myungsoo discomfort and slight anger. He was certain Jaejoong have seen it for himself. Xia was gone and they failed to bring his body out. Who knows what Jiyong may have done to Xia’s body by now. “I’ve saved it for nearly a thousand years,”

“Saved what?”

“A question,” Myungsoo spoke softly as he turned his head and locked gazes with Jaejoong, “I’ve been wanting to ask you this for a while,”

Jaejoong folded his arms across his chest and pivoted his whole body Myungsoo’s direction, “What?”

The wizard looked away, he thought the question would just flow out but the memory of Xia turning cold in his arms hesitated him. After all, he only kept his mouth shut because he was afraid it would be disrespectful toward Xia. But now that the man was deceased, Myungsoo tried to build up the courage to know. “It’s about Jiae. Xia never spoke much of her after her sacrifice. However, I learned he still yearned and longed for her. He just...came to accept the reality that they weren’t meant to be,”

While Myungsoo continues, Jaejoong’s pupils were dilating everything coming out of the sorcerer's mouth. Memories of Jiae flooded his mind and even soul.

“I never had the pleasure of getting to know Jiae, but Xia said her Keeper counterpart was very much like her witch side, but only in terms of appearance. That’s why for Xia’s sake, I’ve been wanting to ask you this. Why her and not Xia?”

Jaejoong glanced up, his eyes wandered without direction then slowly he took a step and turned away from Myungsoo. “Jiae was my peer. We were best friends and she was a sister to me,” there was a pause as Jaejoong was having a hard time opening up to Myungsoo, then finally he proceeded, “Before she fell in love with Xia, she had my back in everything. She favored me in place of my Father. She cared and protected me despite the rumors I grew up with. Xia and I may share the same blood but we were treated very differently. Even to the point where I had no need to call him brother. All because Father believed he saw evil in me, even as a child, so he was distant around me,” Jaejoong help himself to a seat on a large rock, “When he learned of Jiae and my friendship, he did not adore her. And when her powers increased, he believed she was capable of ill intentions. Jiae may be ruthless at times but she was not a bad person,”

He took a deep breath as he looked into Myungsoo’s brown eyes, “You asked why Jiae and not Xia. Well, let me tell you this. Every time Jiae is on the brink of death, it’s Xia’s fault. He chose to give up on her, she suffered a great deal marrying into the Sorcerers of Alkanos. That wasn’t enough, but he allowed a rumor among the humans to take and kill Jiae. When she came back as a Keeper, I was prepared to give up my purpose. I was ready for death. But Xia turned her away again. He convinced her to kill herself so I would be linked to Patricia. To this day Xia matter very little to me. I only served my purpose so I can bring Jiae back with Xia gone. The only way she would be able to live is for Xia to vanish for good,”

Myungsoo’s question was answered though he did not like it one bit, “It’s a pity. Your Father may have kept you a distant but he kept Xia so close it suffocated him. Xia has given up a lot for you and me to keep our lives. As his brother, you should at least realize that much,”

The immortal felt told off so he furrowed his brows and flattened his eyes, “I’ve lived long enough to know that everyone has their side of the story. But I don’t want to hear it. Especially not from you,”

Fair enough Myungsoo thought as he changed the topic, “If you really want to bring Jiae back then don’t you need Jisoo? You realized she’s still at Skyfall don’t you?”

Jaejoong removed himself from the rock, “Ah, that reminds me. Maybe it’s because her eyes are useless but she chose to be there. Did you not warn her about Jiyong, because she seemed pretty confident leaving me behind and went with one of Jiyong’s servant,”

A proud smile spread across Myungsoo’s face for the first time in a long time, “Given yours and her personality, I think I know why. Jisoo has a pure heart, she wouldn’t be able to stand being around someone who values a woman more than his brother,”

The immortal’s eyes glinted with danger, “Be careful with your words. I’m not my brother so I won’t tolerate it if you step out of line,”

Myungsoo expressed no fear, instead, he turned back to the river and heaved an undisturbed sigh, “Even if you’re not worried about Jisoo, you should bring her out. If my plan worked then Jiyong won’t touch a hair on her body,”

Curious, Jaejoong’s hard expression began to fade, “What plan?”

“I lied to Jiyong. Told him Jisoo is Jiae’s reincarnation. Except it’s been so long that Jiae may have temporarily lost her memories,”

“You told Jiyong Jisoo was Jiae? He can’t possibly buy it. Jiae is not as naive as that blind Keeper,”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes again, except this time it was literally right in front of Jaejoong, “If you don't allow for me speak ill of Jiae than you should not speak ill of Jisoo in my presence. She is the Keeper I guide now and also she is your master,”

“I only call her master so she’ll know not to get too comfortable around me,”

“I know. Love between you and a Keeper is forbidden. We all know that,” Myungsoo lowkey mocked. “Now, go get Jisoo. We need to figure out what powers she has. Time is ticking and you only have three days left to get rid of Jiyong for good,”

Jaejoong puffed hot air out of his mouth before he spread his wings out, “Jiyong is hardly the problem. The issue is that Keeper. She’s too morally-correct for her own good,”

Myungsoo ignored Jaejoong’s comment, briefly, as he got closer to the river. He squatted beside it and stared at his reflection. “It could be a sign. Think about it. We’ve lived long enough, yet, we continued to sin. Is it because we know we won’t die of old age? We aren’t afraid of life nor death. But Jisoo. The unfortunate girl lives her life rightfully knowing she will die. Is that strength or stupidity?”

A groan escaped Jaejoong’s dry lips before he stated, “You ponder on that. I’m gonna go get her,”



Sungjong stared out the window and overlook the boring, plain land. He was like Rapunzel, locked high up in a tower and waiting for the right person to rescue him. As his mind drifted off into something that may be of his future, a sudden knock at the door broke the silence. “It’s your father. I’m coming in,”

The words ‘your father’ pained him. Since Sungjong has no true recollection of his childhood, he had been left with no choice but to believe in Jaejoong’s words.

He was a creation—just like Raven.

Though the man on the other side tried to open the door as slowly as he possibly could, a creak was made once it was pushed farther in. Standing at the door, his father heaved a sigh.

“There you are. When I received no answer I thought you may be asleep,” he said as he entered and closed the door. Then once he had made certain that they were alone, he began speaking to a non-expressive Sungjong. “Lord Jiyong told me that you gave him orders. I thought I warned you about abusing your position. He is your master and now, your Lord,”

If he was honest, this wasn’t news to him. Sungjong was told before that his body would become Jiyong’s vessel and he has no rights to use that fact against the immortal. However, what annoyed Sungjong more than anything was the tone this man was using with him. Someone, who was not truly his father, “I’m aware. I demanded a favor without thinking, I sincerely apologize,”

The older bobbed his head slowly, “Forgiven, still I cannot assure you will happen if it happens again,”

“It won’t happen again,” Sungjong forced in a low voice.

“Good,” the man then joined Sungjong at the window. He sighed, heavily, once he sees the full picture out of the window. “Is something the matter boy? You’re awfully calm,” he chuckled half-heartedly, “usually you will come to me with endless questions—sometimes with repeated questions,”

Sungjong shook his head in denial, “No. It’s just, this trip has made me think more compare to aimless wanderings. I think I understand why the world has come to this,”

“Is that so? Care to enlighten me?”

Sungjong tried to organize his thoughts so he wouldn’t miss a point, “This all stems from Yoo Jiae’s love,” he couldn’t believe he was talking like Myungsoo. Sungjong was too young to understand the meaning of love, but by being around Myungsoo he gained a hint of its definition. “If she didn’t play Jiyong and wasn’t too possessive of the Kim brothers if she didn’t create the poison that was given to Xia, and if she never came back as a keeper all of this could have been prevented,”

The older furrowed his brows, “What are you spewing on about? How do you know any of what you have just said is true?” His voice was stern and intimidating.

Sungjong gulped, “You mean, you never knew...father?”

“And what do you know?” the older questioned in a low, heavy voice. His eyes dilated with confusion, “Who told you this?”

“Father, it makes sense once you piece together the stories told from those during that time period. I know you serve Jiyong but—”

“That is Lord Jiyong for you. Tell me, what other stories have you heard?”

Sungjong blinked and quietly cleared his throat, “I’m….your creation….”

"What?!"