XIII.

Windy Hall (Hiatus)


The squawking of seagulls and splashes of water waves filled the emptiness in Xia’s chest. Ten-year-old-silver-hair Xia’s tiny feet were under the surface while he bathed under the Sun and gazed out into the openness. In the distance, sitting on the sea’s horizon, was a ship. The idea of wiping it off the horizon line by blocking it with his small thumb occurred to him, but he never attempted it. Instead, he diverted all of his attention downward, toward the soft sand that swayed around near his feet. The slight brushes made him smile.

Distracted by the sea’s lively sounds, the child failed to hear of another sneaking up behind him. Then before he could catch himself, two strong hands shoved him forward and sent him tumbling down into the water. When he managed to pull himself up with a breathy cry of annoyance, he spun around and was greeted by a guffawing Jaejoong.

It was obvious that the dark-haired boy had just woken up from his nap down by the palm tree; his hair was a mess and he had eye boogers.

“Hey! What was that for?!” Xia shouted as he rubbed his eyes.

Jaejoong had to calm himself down before answering, “It seemed like you wanted to take a dive but didn’t have the courage to, so I thought I’ll lend you a hand,” he concluded with a hidden smile.

Xia huffed and puffed, “Sure~ I doubt you were trying to be helpful. If anything you did it on purpose didn’t you?”

The other sighed, “Fine I did do it on purpose but it’s not like you got hurt. Quit being a crybaby, this is why no one wants to play with you.”

An irritated pout became visible on Xia’s face, “I don’t care. I don’t need anyone else. I have Myungsoo.”

Jaejoong folded his arms across his chest and scoffed a little, “You mean that outcasted kid in the same class as you? Since when did you and he talk? I heard he’s a dumb guy,” Jaejoong’s absentminded comment gained a punch from Xia before the shorter hollered in his face.

“Just because he doesn’t talk much it doesn’t make him dumb! He’s the smartest kid in my class and probably—no he is the smartest at our school! Even smarter than you!” Jaejoong stuck out his lower lip as a gesture of mockery. His reaction anger Xia even more and this time the boy was fuming. “Fine, I’ll show you. One thousand years from now we’ll still be friends, meanwhile, you and your so-called friends won’t be friends anymore!”

Jaejoong scoffed coldly, “I think you’ve forgotten Xia, but that guy you claim as your friend is human. So we’ll see if you’ll still be friends with a mortal or if I’ll still be friends with my immortal friends.”



Daesung tosses a limbing Myungsoo onto the hard floor just inches before Jiyong’s feet.

With any strength left in him, Myungsoo pulled his neck back and stole a glimpse at the figure sitting in Xia’s chair. Realizing what had happened, Myungsoo hung his head in despair. His only lifelong job was to protect Xia and it appeared he has failed.

A hearty chuckle escaped from Jiyong’s dried lips as he eyeballed the wizard, “The school’s outcast,” he began, “I’m surprised Xia kept you alive all this time. You were quite a handful during our last few meetings; however, you don’t particularly look well this time around. And I wonder, who do I owe my gratitude to? Huh? Is it Lee Sungjong?”

Upon mentioning that name, Myungsoo could see Sungjong entering the scene from the corner of his eyes. Surprisingly Sungjong looked a bit uncertain and undetermined. “Ah Sungjong, here you are. Your father is wrapping up an errand for me. Soon he will be here. You two must have a lot to discuss when he arrives, so you should rest a little first. I’ve prepared a room for you. Yoochun will show you the way,” Jiyong said as he signaled to the servant standing by the entrance.

“Thank you,” Sungjong said under a whisper then he bowed before joining Yoochun out. Heartbroken and speechless, Myungsoo kept still.

Betrayal.

It’s been a while.

Though this time was more painful than the last since he failed to predict it.

“You don’t seem surprised to see him switch sides,” Jiyong spoke. Myungsoo rolled his eyes after all he was aware that Jiyong lives and feeds off of this kind of competition. Taking “sides” was a Jiyong thing. The evil lad has always had the pleasure and enjoyment of convincing and forcing others onto his side, even if it backfires later on. “Alright then, new topic. The seeker,” Jiyong had a grin on his face, “Sungjong reported that she can see them, but only in the woods. But I do not care about that nonsense. Tell me, Great Wizard of Lukas, what do you know about her abilities?”

Myungsoo’s mind wandered, because Sungjong intended to test Windy Hall by using magic, they were blinded by the whirlwind and hence failed to see Jisoo’s powers. Nevertheless, even if he had an idea, he wouldn’t be stupid enough to hand over the information.

Unfortunately for him, Jiyong had expected no cooperation so the male was prepared, “I have Xia. If you don’t want him dead now then you will tell me everything you know,”

Myungsoo bit down on his teeth. He knew Jiyong wouldn’t take an ‘I don’t know’ for an answer, so he had to think or come up with something quick. With twitchy lips, Myungsoo spoke in a low tone, “She’s Jiae,”

Jiyong felt his frozen heart sank, “W-what?”

“From what I’ve observed, she’s Jiae. Well, at least a reincarnation of Jiae. Unlike the Jiae that came back as the keeper with her memories intact, this time she seems to have completely forgotten about her previous lives. She’s like a different person, but I’m positive she’s Jiae.”

An ugly noise forced its way up and out of Jiyong’s throat as he questioned, “And with what evidence do you claim that with?”

“Jiae was the only keeper who could see dark matter in the woods and she was the only keeper dark matter showed mercy to upon their first encounter. Now, Jisoo is the same. Jiae the Great Witch was married to you, so surely you saw some similarities between her and Jisoo, didn’t you?”

Jiyong stood up from his seat with a scowl on his face for the first time. “So, this Jisoo is Jiae you say?”

Myungsoo nodded, “Positive,”

Slowly but certainly Jiyong couldn’t stop himself from grinning, “Ah, then I must retrieve my wife. Daesung,” he commanded, “find Jaejoong and bring this Jisoo to me. I must see it for myself if they do in fact share similarities.”

“Sure Jiyong,” Daesung responded before he exited the room.



The King was forced onto his knees with the Queen, princes, and princesses held as hostages against him. Surrounding them were six witches of Alkanos and an older man. The royalty wore an unreadable expression, or one the old wizard considered fearless. Pacing back and forth in front of him was the elderly with a mole under his eye. Some know him as the current leader of Alkanos—others such as Jiyong dubbed him as Lee Sungjong’s father.

“Xia of Skyfall has fallen, thus behold the name of your new lord, who is Kwon Jiyong. To be precise, if you follow him then the lives of your family will be spared. If you do not, then your entire castle will be replaced. Now choose and do it wisely,” he demanded bluntly.

“What have you done to my good friend Lord Xia of Skyfall?” the leader questioned instead.

“That is not an answer,” the wizard said as he kicked the shoulder of the King, which tipped him over and earned screams from the Queen and princesses. The noble felt a sting in the arm he happened to land on, but dare not move in case it provoked the magic caster. “So, will you serve Lord Jiyong or doom your family?”

The large man looked to his wife and children briefly, then with a hard swallowed he nodded, “I-I will serve,”

“Good. Then to prove your loyalty, you must do as Lord Jiyong’s pleases,”

It took a moment but the King finally asked, “W-what is it that he pleases?”

“Send your men to the Northern forest. Search for Kim Jaejoong. Seize him once he is found then bring him to Skyfall. Lord Jiyong will be waiting there. If you fail to capture Jaejoong within three days, I will return here to end your life.”



It was Myungsoo’s first time in Skyfall’s oubliette. The underground dungeon reeked of death and was as chilly as chilly can be. Dropped and tumbling down the stone steps, Myungsoo grunted and groaned when he crashed into the ground. When Myungsoo sat up, he felt dizzy and nauseous; the dark room made it worse. But little can be done so he it up and tried to recompose himself.

Seconds later he felt a wet substance trickling down the side of his head. At first, he thought it was sweat until he touched it and felt an open wound. With heavy breaths he covered the side of his head with his sleeve, then slowly he searched around for anything of value.

As his fingers danced around the cold ground aimlessly, Myungsoo flinched a little when he ran into cold skin. Then in slower motion, he reached out again hoping to get more of what he had come across.

“Myungsoo,” the voice echoed and startled the lad. But before he could pull away, his wrist was arrested by someone’s grip. It then took the wizard less than a second to recognize who it was.

“Master Xia,” he blurted, eyes widened though he couldn’t see anything.

Steadily Xia heaved a sigh of relief as he pulled Myungsoo closer to where he was laying. “How is it out there?” he asked followed by a few coughs. Myungsoo instantly brought the immortal’s body closer to him as he was aware of how sensitive Xia was to the cold—plus the low temperatures can trigger Xia’s illness in the blink of an eye.

Myungsoo completely ignored Xia’s question when all he could think about was ways to secure the other’s safety and warmth. “Silver magic seems to be lurking at each corner so it will be hard for me to cast magic. Here, have my robe for now while I search for the defective area,” Myungsoo easily stripped himself of his robe as he wrapped it around Xia’s upper body.

Powerless and weak, Xia didn’t hold Myungsoo back and let the man roamed freely in the dark. As Myungsoo got to work, Xia gradually rested his eyes out of boredom and drifted off slowly.

Forgive me Father, but I can no longer hold on. Please, my last wish remains the same, give Myungsoo true immortality. He deserved it more than anyone else. You’ve seen it. His loyalty to me for over one thousand years, please do not disappoint him.



A/N: Just a little bit more on Myungsoo and Xia's relationship xD

In case you didn't catch it, Myungsoo was human who happened to obtain magical abilities as he attended the same magic school as most immortals. And because he happens to be the only one Xia trusted and liked, Myungsoo was able to live for more than one thousand years as the seekers' guide.