XI.

Windy Hall (Hiatus)

It was late afternoon when Jaejoong was approached by a servant, in fact, the only worker in the tower, sixty-five-year-old Park Yoochun. The elder has been working in the tower ever since he was twelve. An orphan who the former King has asked Xia to take under his wing.

Together they gaze out an unguarded window, viewing the endless span of woods that surround the building. Jaejoong had his arms folded across his chest, his legs were slightly spread apart, and he wore a soft expression. Slowly the elder came to a halt beside him, “Lord Jaejoong, it’s truly great to have you back. The tower felt amiss without you here.”

The corner of Jaejoong’s lips curled up a little, “Well, this may be the last time I’ll ever see you again Yoochun,”

Confusion rose onto the older’s face, “Why?”

Jaejoong cleared his throat, “After I kill Jiyong, I may never set foot here ever again. You too, you may have to return to where you originally came from as Xia will have to leave as well.”

There was disappointment in the man’s face now as he examined Jaejoong carefully, “I see. You still haven’t changed your mind then,”

“After what he had done to her, I couldn’t possibly forgive and save him.”

“But my Lord, surely you knew Lord Xia had no choice—”

Jaejoong snarled at the other, “Don’t say it was for me Yoochun. He cornered her so that only he could live. He’s selfish. Yet, I don’t understand why Father cherish him. He’s nothing but a brat.”

Not knowing what to say, Yoochun could only sigh. He knew it was no use trying to persuade Jaejoong to see other perspectives. So quietly he slipped away and left Jaejoong glaring out of the window.



Xia was at a lost. What happened to the invisible shield he and Myungsoo had set up around the tower? Why didn’t it prevent Jiyong from entering in? Despite the many questions running through his head, Xia tried to look as unsurprised as he could, “You’re early,” he said coolly.

An icy grin was plastered on Jiyong’s face as he sighed, “Yet, you’re faster,” he eyeballs the terrified human before locking gazes with Xia again, “the Keeper eh? Quite lovely. She reminds me of that one Keeper back then, ah, what was her name again?” Jiyong taunted then pause. He cocked his head from side to side then his lips, “Ah, Yoo Jiae it was. But, how come I don’t see Jaejoong? Surely he wouldn’t flee after the 49th time?”

It was obvious that Jaejoong was in the building, but when was he going to show himself? Surely he has sensed Jiyong’s presence by now. Before Xia could defend them, Jiyong’s next question shattered the Lord’s confidence. “Ah, and I see you have left the tower without any guards. You didn’t think your little shield would actually keep me out did you?”

Xia began to sweat, “You knew?”

“I pretended,” Jiyong corrected him, “during my every waking hour all I wanted was to be in here. But I held it in. I wanted to surprise you and in the end it look like I succeeded. Then again, if you had any guards left, they will be of the human race no?” He chuckled, “The race that fears Daesung the most. Or the one they refer to as the Punisher,”

Coming in through the entrance behind Jiyong, Xia noticed a large person. His arms were twice the size of his head. His thighs were so big it was merely the size of a child’s body. Xia gulped, recognizing the individual immediately.

Once a year the people of Gudon gathered in Aruficus’s largest coliseum, Repent, to watch the Punisher—a superhuman—physically kill and torture Gudon’s sinners. Though many visits just for the thrill of the show, everyone who has seen the Punisher feared him. However, no one questioned his emotions and thoughts, until Jiyong came along. Someone as destructive as Jiyong was willing to confront and speak to him rather than just clapping and laughing at him.

Or so he thought.

The first time Daesung and Xia met was when the King had wanted to show Xia the new Punisher. The human was behind three set of bars and chained up like Jaejoong to Patricia. Xia recalled the loneliness he saw in Daesung’s eyes. The boy who had just turned eighteen and captured because of his inhumane and deadly traits.

Then it occurred to Xia. “West,” he muttered, eyes widening.

In the blink of an eye, Xia’s neck was arrested by Daesung’s strong grip, catching the immortal off guard. Out of reflex Xia immediately grabbed the familiar’s arm as electricity began snapping out of him and zapping Daesung. But the Punisher showed no pain which caused Xia to panic. For the first time, his air supply was cut off, not by his illness, but by another being. He gasped for air when he couldn’t feel the ground with his feet.

Disturbed by the change of sound, Jisoo grabbed onto her dress and squeezed her hands into two hard fists. Something was telling her to speak up, to try to stop whatever was happening, but her lips wouldn’t budge.

Jiyong wore a grand grin, exposing his teeth as he watched Daesung strangled Xia.

Then as Xia’s skin began to turn purple Daesung dropped him onto the ground and took a step back. Xia pulled himself up as he coughed for oxygen noisily. There and then Jiyong spoke, “You didn’t think I’d let you die just like that did you?” He raised one of his skinny brows, “Before I let Daesung do away with you, I wanted to tell you a little secret of mine.”

Xia tried to look up and hold in his coughs, hoping he wouldn’t appear as weak as he truly was.

Seconds later Jiyong helped himself in Xia’s chair. When he crossed his long, thin legs and gently clawed his face with his nails for comfort. “Has Jaejoong ever told you who the mastermind was behind your sickness?”

Uncertain and clueless Xia turned his body a little to face the one speaking. “W-what is it that y-you’re implying?”

A funny laugh erupted from Jiyong before he leaned forward and explained, “Well, I suppose you don’t. If you did you wouldn’t keep re-waking Jaejoong up just so he can kill me,” Jiyong pulled himself back and lean against the hard furniture, “the illness was my idea. Surely you haven’t forgotten that I was quite a medic back then. In fact, I was Jaejoong’s top apprentice. Although I practiced unlawful medicine, Jaejoong hid that point about me and continued to favor me. Then one day, you know, after Jiae’s death. Jaejoong came to me and wanted a strong, powerful, deadly potion. I gave it to him, even after I informed him that there was no cure. What did you think Jaejoong said to me back then?”

Jiyong smiled, unkindly, “He said ‘good’ and that was it. He poisoned you and like a fool got caught. You thought Jiae’s death would stop and convert him, huh, silly you.”

Xia coughed again. He was aware. He had always known that Jaejoong intentionally poisoned him and that Jiyong was the creator and giver, but it was slightly painful hearing it come out of his enemy’s mouth.

“Xia!” everyone in the room turned toward the direction of the door where they noticed an angry Jaejoong. His black wings were spread out and he was ready to charge the intruders. Then with a smooth lift he flew forward at an incredible speed and clashed into Daesung; their crossed arms hammered against one another. The force around them was so strong that it sent Xia and Jisoo falling a few feet back. Then with a swift move, Jaejoong tilted his body and wrapped his legs around Daesung’s neck.

Coming around and penetrating the superhuman on the side were knife-like spikes located at the end of Jaejoong’s wings. Finally, as the spikes deepen, the man broke the ice and hollered a painful cry. To wrap it up, Jaejoong twisted his leg and smashed the other’s body against the hard ground and it knocked him out cold.

Without greeting Jiyong, Jaejoong flew over to where Jisoo lay, pulled and carried her with both arms. Then without a word he took off with her, shattering the over glass above Jiyong. As the fragments fell toward the invader, he melted into liquid just before he got any cuts. Then building himself up again he growled at the broken space, “Damn you Jaejoong,”

Then slowly he turned around and spotted an unconscious Xia. “I see, so you’re of no value to him anymore huh,”



Once Jaejoong landed safely in the woods, he was ready to release her but she wasn’t ready. Her arms were tightly wrapped around his neck and he could feel her shaking up a little. He can’t blame her after all the poor girl is just human and cannot see. “You’re safe now master,” he whispered.

For the first time, he was gentle with her, but she was too scared to notice. For all she knew she was probably safer clinging onto to him.

“Master,” he voiced again. When Jisoo didn’t budge he became more stern, “Jisoo.”

“One second,” she said quietly. Her heart was pounding so fast she thought it’d break her ribcage. “I can’t feel my legs,” she whispered with a tremble. It was then that Jaejoong noticed a streak of blood on Jisoo’s left shin.

His pupils wandered, wondering how and when did she get hurt. He could only guess it was when he broke the glass top. “You’re hurt. I will find something to treat it, you should wait here—”

“I want to go home,” she mumbled, “please find Myungsoo. I want to go home and be with my father again, please,”

Jaejoong couldn’t see her face but he knew she was crying.

“I must head home, father is sick!”

The old single line and words played in his head over and over again. Leaving him with the same bitter and neurotic gut-feeling.

For the rest of that evening, Jaejoong held Jisoo and did not put her down until she had fallen asleep.



Sungjong couldn’t hold himself back from sending Myungsoo death glares. As they rode quietly, side by side, Myungsoo finally spoke, “You’re going to drill a hole in the back of my head if you keep staring,”

The younger flattened his eyes, then turn away with a flip of his hair. “Fine, I won’t run away so verify whatever it was quick.”

“When I first saved you, you said you were alone; without a family and friends,”

“So?” Sungjong snapped.

“But I got the impression that you lied to me,” Myungsoo turned his upper body a little so he could get a good look at Sungjong’s face. He saw Sungjong swallowed before uttering.

“Why do you want to know? My family has nothing to do with you,”

“Not entirely true,” Myungsoo interrupted, “we’re all wizards. There’s no chance a nobody like you would just possess dark magic,” there was a pause before Myungsoo spatted out his point, “who is your father? Which family are you from?”

This time the light haired looked directly into Myungsoo’s eyes, “Fine. We’re Wizards of Alkanos.”

Instantly Myungsoo stopped his horse along with Sungjong’s, “What..?”

“What? Have you heard about us?”

Myungsoo’s jaw dropped a little out of shock. Then he looked Sungjong dead right in the eyes, “Magic users of Alkanos. Then, the Great Witch of Koren must be your great great grandmother?”

“You mean my great-grandmother, the one-thousand-year-old Great Witch Yoo Jiae?”