XV.

Windy Hall (Hiatus)


In Sungjong’s room, a black hound occupied the corner nearest to the door. Though it was quiet and calm, Sungjong could sense its thirst for blood. The red-eyed creature may have been Sungjong’s creation, but its only obligation was to serve Jiyong. It was Jiyong’s personal messenger.

Sungjong pivoted away from the window until he locked gazes with the animal, “You don’t have to stay. I won’t go back on my words,”

“Master Jiyong’s words are: until the Great Wizard of Lukas ceases to exist, Lee Sungjong is not to leave my sight.” The dog’s voice was raspy and slow, making it sound more intimidating than it has to be. The stern words that came from the animal left Sungjong a little empty on the inside. It made him wonder if Kim Myungsoo had shared the same feeling. The emotions of raising a snake just to have it come back around and bite you.

With a heavy sigh, Sungjong spoke, “Raven, you’re no longer mine, but can I ask you something?” The animal did not make a sound and allowed the lad to continue, “Jiyong must have told you something about my great grandmother, Yoo Jiae right? What was she like?” When he looked at the dog, the creature didn’t budge and kept quiet. So on the spot, he added, “Growing up, my father said she was very powerful. The master of samsara. The ultimate witch of eternal lifetimes,” there was a pause as Sungjong recollected his memories, “if the stories were true than originally Yoo Jiae was Xia of Skyfall’s betrothed?”

“Originally,” the creature responded, “the Witch of Koren was indeed powerful. In fact, she was crowned the strongest during her time. But heedless and credulous by nature she was. As Master Jiyong stated, the Witch of Koren only cared for the well-being of the Kim brothers. Though the Great Witch seduced Master Jiyong for nearly a decade when he was practicing physic under Kim Jaejoong. It was true that Master Jiyong handed Kim Jaejoong the incurable poison, but Yoo Jiae created the potion.”

Sungjong frowned, “Potions are only created to give or be taken, so for what reasons did my grandmother brew such deadly drink?”

“Initially the drink was for her. Her marriage to Master Jiyong and the sorcerers of Alkanos drove her to despair. Self-annihilate was her only option. Until her father committed an unforgivable crime and she was put to death with the rest of them,”

“Then what has the master of Windy Hall has to do with my grandmother?”

“What do you mean?”

Sungjong stopped for a moment. He wasn’t sure if he should disclose everything because Raven has no means to provide an answer to every question. In the end, Sungjong went with his guts. “When I left home, I found my way into a tavern filled with warlocks. During my short stay there, I was told that the Great Witch of Koren, my grandmother, shared a special relationship with the Immortal Protector, Kim Jaejoong. The only Kim Jaejoong I could think of at the time was Kim Jaejoong of Windy Hall. Can it be that they’re the same person? And if it’s true, then what kind of relationship did they have?”

“Before Kim Jaejoong became the master of Windy Hall, his nickname was the Immortal Protector. As for their relationship, Master Jiyong has not said a word.”

Sungjong nodded. At least he got one of the answers he was searching for. However, if he wanted more answers he knew there was one other he could go to.

Kim Myungsoo.



With the hound following close behind, Sungjong wandered the empty yard around the building. Quietly he was searching for a good location to practice his magic. But before he could start, he felt the wavelengths of something similar. Underneath him he sensed white magic emitting from the ground. Knowing it was probably Myungsoo, his task to find out were interrupted by the sound of two other.

Sneaking up on them, Sungjong recognized Jiyong and Jisoo’s voices immediately. As he listened on, he heard them mentioned Xia. Sungjong connected the dots on the spot then slowly he revealed himself to the small party.

“She’s right. Under us, Kim Myungsoo is using magic to keep Xia alive. Your silver magic is slowly wearing off.” He paused as he looked from Jiyong to Jisoo then back, “Let the girl meet him one last time, he’s dying anyway.”

“Sungjong..?” Jisoo voiced. Her tone was mixed with concern and surprised. As she turned to face him, her eyes were wide and was slightly opened. “Why are you here..? Where’s Myungsoo?”

Sungjong watched as Jiyong studied Jisoo then slowly he diverted his attention to the lass, “I’m sorry we had to meet again this way. It must be shocking,” the male observed Jisoo forming a thin line with her lips, her hands were thrown behind her, and she slightly shook her head.

“It’s alright. You must have your reasons.”

Sungjong felt a bit guilty to see her so forgiving toward him. “I do. I believe Myungsoo and Xia are locked up underneath us. Perhaps Jiyong will show us the way to them as I have a few words to discuss with Myungsoo as well.” This time the lad looked directly to Jiyong, who seemed uncomfortable. Then in a split of a second a wide grin appeared on Jiyong’s face.

“Why sure, I will show you two the way.”

At first, Jisoo was shocked to hear Sungjong giving Jiyong order, because as far as she knew Jiyong was the big boss around here. Secondly, she didn’t think Jiyong would agree so quickly to Sungjong’s demand.

Right as Jiyong was about to spin around and lead the way, Daesung appeared down the hall. Thus, Jiyong made the large man help Jisoo down the path they took.  



Myungsoo’s hands were glowing white as he rests them up against the wall; trying to fill the room with his own energy; it will make tending to Xia easier if silver magic wasn’t present. Slowly the room began to warm itself and his magic began soothing Xia’s state. Xia’s breathing was faint but Myungsoo could still sense his life energy.

Xia hasn't left him yet, and as possession, as Myungsoo was, he would never let the immortal leave so easily. “Master Xia, hang in there. In a moment you should be able to feel the heat again.” As the room got warmer, the darkness itself began to lift and fade away. After all, Myungsoo wasn’t dubbed Lukas for no reason. He was the epitome of light.

As Myungsoo leaned an exhausted Xia up against the wall, he began scouting the room some more just to get himself familiar with it. Mentally he wondered what the room was used for as Xia keep no prisoners at Skyfall.

“This room,”  

The wizard jumped a little, surprised at Xia’s sudden comment. Then as he helped himself beside his master. Xia began opening his eyes slowly.

“It was once Jiae and my secret place. We used to meet here and shared our concerns and worries with each other. On the day before Jiae was hung, the King let her meet me here for the last time,” Myungsoo stared into Xia’s eyes. He could see the love and yearning in the immortal’s pupils. “That day Jiae wouldn’t stop apologizing. She would cry as she apologized. She was so lovely then, and precious. But I couldn’t save her. Actually.,” Xia paused as he tried to recall the memories one thousand years ago, “Father gave me options. It was either her life or your immortality.”

“W-what..?” Knowing how much Xia loved Jiae, Myungsoo was taken aback by the news.

Xia chuckled softly, “I made a bet with Jaejoong when we were children. I bet him, one thousand years later you and I will still be good friends. It was hard to let Jiae go but she promised me she will be reincarnated. And one hundred years later she was. Except she returned as a Keeper. No matter how much I wanted for her to stay, to keep her alive, to save her that time. I couldn’t. I would be breaking my brother’s purpose. The only reason why Father let Jaejoong keep his life was to serve his purpose for one thousand years. So I risk the hundred or so years I could have shared with Jiae for another nine-hundred for Jaejoong.” Xia took a deep breath and unbeknownst to him, tears began welling up in his eyes. “I miss Jiae….Myungsoo. Jaejoong’s wish is to bring Jiae back once he has fulfilled his purpose, but what about me? This time it’s my turn….to perish.”

Myungsoo brought a fist up to his mouth. His throat was dry and it stung a little. He wanted to comfort his friend and master, but he didn’t know how to. He was afraid of what would happen if he let the lad cry and sleep. He has seen it. Keepers knew they are to be sacrificed once the fight was over. Most of them cried before they were put to sleep and never again will they wake up.

“I’m sorry. I’ve never told you the truth. I never gave you the chance and let you blindly lead and guide Seekers to their ends. Your magic is pure, you’re kind, and I understand how hard it has been for you to compensate the Keeper’s families. This will be the last time, I promise. You’re free after this. So take care of yourself, my good friend Myungsoo. Great Wizard of Lukas…” as Xia trailed off beside Myungsoo, the lad held his breath and dare not move an inch.

Myungsoo was afraid that if he breathes, he would be able to sense Xia’s depleting energy. Then slowly he felt the weight of Xia’s head dropped and rested on his shoulder. The Wizard tried not to cry. Afraid he would heave out a heavy exhale and inhale.

Then before Myungsoo could turn anymore red from clinching his airways, the wall to his right tumbled and collapsed. This made Myungsoo wrapped his arms around Xia’s lifeless body as he shields the deceased from the stones. Standing on the other side was Jaejoong, his wings expanded as he waits for the dust to clear up. Instantly Myungsoo locked gazes with him, exposing his red-eyes to the newcomer.

Jaejoong remained on the outside as he looked over to them. He could see that Myungsoo had been crying, but what disturbed him was how Myungsoo was hovering over Xia. Right there and then he realized what happened.

He came too late.

Once Jaejoong showed himself in, Myungsoo began weeping. The Wizard clawed at Xia’s clothes, hoping it would bring him back. Myungsoo wailed, his heart-wrenching cries seemed to have attracted attention from the entrance because seconds later the door flew open and Sungjong poked his head through. He gasped a little, though not too loud to scare Jisoo and Jiyong.

“What is it? What was that noise?” Jiyong asked in a hurry.

Sungjong immediately shut the door as he tried to catch his breath, “It seems, Xia is dead.”

“So?” Jiyong questioned as if he had expected it.

“Jaejoong is here too.”

Jiyong smiled, “Perfect timing eh, open the door, I want to see his expression.”  



A/N: So a sadder chapter, I suppose. Hopefully, this clears up some things on Jiae. She isn't a major character so I don't plan to write flashbacks about or with her in it.... If you still want more on Jiae, no worries. This won't be the end of her, she'll definitely show up more. I'll just say this story may end within ten chapters from here. I'm not sure yet. But thank you to everyone who has been reading, commenting, and replying to my reply. I appreciate you guys, the story wouldn't haven't gotten this far if it weren't for you all. So thank you!